Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
Well, I was peperring the PC Building thread with the ongoing saga of trying to get my first self-build PC to work, so I thought rather than distrub the thread again, I'd post the one remaining problem here to see if anyone knows of a likely solution.

I have a Asus Z170-A mobo, EVGA 550 G2 PSU and after about a week of trying to set this up I've finally got into BIOS, can see the CPU/RAM are being detected, there's an NVIDA GPU being picked up on the PCI slot succesfully, and the system now boots up and will display on the monitor to BIOS. However, I can't get BIOS to detect the SSD at all. Originally I spent a night trying to get into to detect any devices - the CD/DVD Writer for instance wasn't being detected either, but after fiddling with the SATA cables and sata power-cables for it (And maybe taking the bluetooth for the keyboard/mouse out of a USB 3.0 slot, unsure which solved it) BIOS now detects the CD drive, but won't detect the SSD at all. SSD is a Samsung 850 Evo. I don't know whether it's the SATA power cables, they feel very insecure and a slight touch will be enough to pull them out of the port, and they're also rather cumbsome with 3 heads attached which are easy to knock. Changing around the cables and which SATA ports they're being plugged in still led to the cd drive being detected and the hard drive not, so it couldn't have been a cable/port issue.

Eventually, I decided it must be the SSD itself, and bought myself another SSD as well just to see if this would fix the issue... however, this second SDD (Sandisc Ultra 2) is also not detected either. I've tried re-attaching the sata cables, and I've tried pushing on the SATA power cables, but they don't seem to be connecting any more securely (the sata cables that came with the motherboard have latches so they seem fine). What is the likely solution here? Will a firmware update potentially solve this, is is likely to be lovely power cables that need to be replacing, or is there anything on BIOS I can change that might help BIOS detect either of the SDDs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
It sounds more like you're having trouble connecting the power cables to me.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
Should the power connectors push in very far? Generally forcing them doesn't seem to make them move any further over the L Shape on the SDD, but they're still very loose and don't require very much than a light touch on the side to dislodge them.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Weasling Weasel posted:

Should the power connectors push in very far? Generally forcing them doesn't seem to make them move any further over the L Shape on the SDD, but they're still very loose and don't require very much than a light touch on the side to dislodge them.

the power cables should snap in, there's a release mechanism to pull them out again, so they should NOT be that loose.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
Hmm, finally managed to fix it, as I'm now posting this from the newly working PC. Definltely was the SATA power connectors in the end - fixed it eventually by using one power connector and two heads on both SSD Drives, and that seemed to take a little bit of stress off now as there's only one loose connector head hanging out, so while I definitely wouldn't call it secure, it's secure enough to deliver power to the SDD's and BIOS picked them up.

• Locked thread