Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Long story short, my previous company granted me RSU's. I was let go 1 year and 4 months after the initial offering date. They were fully vested after 4 years but they were time based vested at 25% the first year after the offering and roughly 2% per month after that, which makes me think Im am still entitled to something. I'm just wondering if anyone has dealt with these before and if I need to talk to a financial lawyer to see what rights I have to any of them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weener Beater
May 4, 2010
RSUs are grants of actual shares of stock
Stock options are grants giving you the option to buy a specific number of shares at a specific price

Similarities
-Typically when given the grant you must accept it, either in writing or electronically for the grant to be valid and for it to vest
-Both grants usually have a vesting schedule. Normally 25% of the options are vested after each year. You are lucky in that there is monthly vesting

Differences
-RSUs never expire. Once the shares vest they are yours. So yes if you accepted the grant your shares vested up to point of leaving the company are yours. And like any stock those shares have a market value (unless the company shut down). The shares should be in an investment or holding account. Generally the same account as your 401K or retirement account

-Options. Options expire after 10 years typically while you are with the company. Once you leave a company you generally have a short time to exercise any vested options or they expire and are worthless. Options only have value if the stock price is above the price of the option grant. For instance if you were given a grant of 10 options at a price of $5 each, if the stock is now $10 you will have made $5 per option if you exercise it. If the stock price was at $2 then your option has no value

Hope that helps

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

You should have got a big rear end set of papers with your grant that spell most things out.

Is the company publicly traded or privately controlled? When you left the company did you sign any paperwork regarding the RSUs?

I'm guessing the company was not publicly traded, and there could be a couple different scenarios

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

It does. I was just wondering if anyone knew if you were time based vested to the 25% if you were still eligible to collect on them if you were employed past that first year anniversary when it hit that number. It sounds like I am. My problem comes along with the fact that the company I was working for was merged with another (became a subsidiary of) and I am having a hard time contacting anyone in the original office. A friend who is also a former employee told me the stock was bought at 1.30 a share which is almost double what it was initially offered to employees at. Im not sure how this should all work out. Should I see a financial lawyer about this? Potentially there is some money to be made (albeit maybe not much), so naturally Im curious.

skipdogg posted:

You should have got a big rear end set of papers with your grant that spell most things out.

That I did.

quote:

Is the company publicly traded or privately controlled? When you left the company did you sign any paperwork regarding the RSUs?

I'm guessing the company was not publicly traded, and there could be a couple different scenarios

The company was not publicly traded. They were owned by a large investment firm and then sold off to a rather large telecommunications company whose stock price is doing well right now. I did sign release papers and I have those along with the original paperwork regarding the RSUs, but the release paperwork does not mention giving up interests in the RSUs at all.

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 8, 2016

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm not much help without your stock plan paperwork. I've only dealt with options, not RSU's and they're probably different. I would look in your paperwork for repurchase rights, how the RSU's are supposed to be settled, and any language about what happens if the company is sold or acquired. I've been through a few different situations with options, but not RSU's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

skipdogg posted:

I'm not much help without your stock plan paperwork. I've only dealt with options, not RSU's and they're probably different. I would look in your paperwork for repurchase rights, how the RSU's are supposed to be settled, and any language about what happens if the company is sold or acquired. I've been through a few different situations with options, but not RSU's.

Are there financial advisors/lawyers that deal in this type of stuff? Maybe thats who I need to talk to as well.

I gotta go through the paperwork again. Im almost positive it does some something about if the company is sold off. The entirety of a holding company is to make money off it by selling it off and showing its worth something.

• Locked thread