Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

The police are fine once you end the loving drug war.

Pretty much. Prohibition is pretty dumb across the board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Marijuana Nihilist posted:

not sad that at least one white supremacist piggy got elite sniped

what are you an edgy 12 year old?

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Cartouche posted:

less bad threads in GBS

Congratulations, your on my poo poo-list, Cartouche!

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Luvcow posted:

Welcome to gbs

Dreddout posted:

Congratulations, your on my poo poo-list, Cartouche!

woah
(you're)

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Cartouche posted:

We could cross those all out and replace them with
- Legalize all drugs and put production and distribution into government hands
- tax the hell out of them
- use the tax money to have better health care and addiction assistance

Yes. The politicians selling drugs are going to try to stop people from using them.

Unless, by addiction assistance, you mean handing them out to school kids.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Cartouche posted:

Wouldn't that make "legal" drugs more expensive than the untaxed, unregulated brand? Wouldn't that lead to most people just continuing to buy the illegal stuff?

Especially since law enforcement isn't even bothering with shutting down the illegal drug trade?

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe

Luvcow posted:

look buddy i know ur sad about your nordic white power pig getting pwned by a negro but maybe he's happier about being in valhalla drinking mead with the odin fuhrer

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

spacetoaster posted:

Yes. The politicians selling drugs are going to try to stop people from using them.

Unless, by addiction assistance, you mean handing them out to school kids.

You'd fund addiction clinics just like Portugal does and see a drop in overall rates of drug use and a drop in addiction as well.

We tax the hell out of cigs and alcohol as well, never seen a politician trying to get you to smoke more.

spacetoaster posted:

Wouldn't that make "legal" drugs more expensive than the untaxed, unregulated brand? Wouldn't that lead to most people just continuing to buy the illegal stuff?

No. 90%+ of the cost of illegal drugs is because they are illegal. Plus with the illegal stuff you never know what it might be adulterated with - I'd gladly pay more for E that is FDA regulated and is for sure just MDMA.

spacetoaster posted:

Especially since law enforcement isn't even bothering with shutting down the illegal drug trade?

Well they are failing but not for lack of trying (and tax money).

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Nobody in texas but astroturfing California carpetbaggers give a gently caress about guns in texas. Even right now. Hope this helps.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

spacetoaster posted:

Wouldn't that make "legal" drugs more expensive than the untaxed, unregulated brand?

Based on what exactly? Is there a set price on the street?

have you never heard of prohibition?

Cartouche fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 13, 2016

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Moridin920 posted:

We tax the hell out of cigs and alcohol as well, never seen a politician trying to get you to smoke more.

That's a different situation.

The poster I referred to said the government should handle production and sales of drugs. Not just tax them.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Cartouche posted:

Based on what exactly? Is there a set price on the street?

Nope. But I can't imagine the government being able to produce, sell, and regulate drugs leading to a drop in price.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

You'd fund addiction clinics just like Portugal does and see a drop in overall rates of drug use and a drop in addiction as well.

No. 90%+ of the cost of illegal drugs is because they are illegal. Plus with the illegal stuff you never know what it might be adulterated with - I'd gladly pay more for E that is FDA regulated and is for sure just MDMA.

Well they are failing but not for lack of trying (and tax money).

Rather glad we are seeing somewhat eye to eye on something. :)

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

spacetoaster posted:

Nope. But I can't imagine the government being able to produce, sell, and regulate drugs leading to a drop in price.

They would just need to regulate them, like any other potentially dangerous product.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
The government sells crack already

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

spacetoaster posted:

That's a different situation.

The poster I referred to said the government should handle production and sales of drugs. Not just tax them.

I should have said regulate, but whatever works best.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cartouche posted:

Rather glad we are seeing somewhat eye to eye on something. :)

You're alright I just cuss a lot for some reason when I type

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

The police are fine once you end the loving drug war.

yeah but if you end the drug war then you don't need nearly as many police, and they lose a big portion of their funding

poo poo if you just legalize marijuana like 90% of America's "drug problem" disappears all at once

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Dubplate Fire posted:

They would just need to regulate them, like any other potentially dangerous product.

I could care less about that. Bring it on.

We're just going to have to deal with the reduction in police forces across the nation.

Cartouche posted:

- Legalize all drugs and put production and distribution into government hands

But this is the statement I was responding to.

I can't even trust the government not to screw up my driver's license. Why would I want them running drug factories and stores?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

The government sells crack already

they also invented aids and malt liquor and lil jon

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
To be fair the state handles millions of driver's licenses just fine though. The state does a lot well, you just don't notice because things are going smoothly. Try going to Bulgaria and seeing what a real inept government is like.

Not entirely sure if we should nationalize production of drugs necessarily, just saying. The free market can probably handle it just fine coupled with extensive regulation.

Either one has to be better than the current situation.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

spacetoaster posted:

I could care less about that. Bring it on.

We're just going to have to deal with the reduction in police forces across the nation.

But this is the statement I was responding to.

I can't even trust the government not to screw up my driver's license. Why would I want them running drug factories and stores?

They regulate and distribute liquor. :shrug:
Also, perhaps the overwhelming positives would outweigh the negatives?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cartouche posted:

Yeah actually that's true in a lot of places.

It might actually be preferable to get government drugs from the government store rather than have them treated like another market commodity (since they are drugs, still). Probably some of the logic behind the state liquor stores as well.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

City of Tampa posted:

yeah but if you end the drug war then you don't need nearly as many police, and they lose a big portion of their funding

poo poo if you just legalize marijuana like 90% of America's "drug problem" disappears all at once

Yah thats why they'd be fine if you ended the drug war. Not every town would need a tank

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Cartouche posted:

weed is way less harmful than alcohol and shouldn't be regulated or taxed any more than any other farmed plant product, like spinach

do whatever you want with the other drugs

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Yah thats why they'd be fine if you ended the drug war. Not every town would need a tank

agreed, but then you have to get rid of a bunch of cops and no politician is going to want to do that

also very wealthy special interests like Walmart have become accustomed to police providing all of their security against shoplifters for free and they aren't gonna want to start paying for security themselves when we don't have a huge overabundance of cops anymore

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Moridin920 posted:

- Going into pissed off communities looking like they do in the OP's photo helps nothing at all whatsoever and only serves to create more distrust and fear. Cops 30-40 years ago managed to handle much more violent riots and situations without donning full suit blacked out armor and riding around in surplus armored military vehicles.

Yea, the riots in the old days...

Make today's riots look like recess.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
a lot of big government idiots campaigning as hard as they can for Trump itt

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Fingers crossed!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LA_riots

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
the solution to all this "systemic oppression" is an even bigger and more convoluted system

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

reallivedinosaur posted:

the solution to all this "systemic oppression" is an even bigger and more convoluted system

yeah but with less armed fatasses playing Call of Duty LARP

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

City of Tampa posted:

agreed, but then you have to get rid of a bunch of cops and no politician is going to want to do that

Why would you need to get rid of cops, and not simply re-purpose them back into walking beats like they used to do?

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

City of Tampa posted:

yeah but with less armed fatasses playing Call of Duty LARP

uh huh sure

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
all those gang bangers selling nickel bags of weed - what will they do for money in the utopian future?

legitimate factory work? is snoop going to write a rap about working 9-5 and filing his taxes?

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

reallivedinosaur posted:

all those gang bangers selling nickel bags of weed - what will they do for money in the utopian future?

legitimate factory work? is snoop going to write a rap about working 9-5 and filing his taxes?

sell dimebags at the weed store? start their own weed business maybe?

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

reallivedinosaur posted:

He could do a duet with Dolly Parton.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

City of Tampa posted:

sell dimebags at the weed store? start their own weed business maybe?

lol

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

City of Tampa posted:

also very wealthy special interests like Walmart have become accustomed to police providing all of their security against shoplifters for free and they aren't gonna want to start paying for security themselves when we don't have a huge overabundance of cops anymore

I dunno billions of dollars to tax might change their tune

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
what makes you think they will start a legitimate weed business later?

why cant they start legitimate businesses now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Cartouche posted:

Why would you need to get rid of cops, and not simply re-purpose them back into walking beats like they used to do?

because if cops aren't able to generate money from the DEA by busting potheads or by confiscating cars and poo poo they will start taking in waaaay less money, and that has to be replaced with increased taxes or by cutting jobs of cops

• Locked thread