Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
now I have to go to work and everybody's gonna be talking about this and I have to pretend that I care about dead cops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

dethkon posted:

just think for a second that it's the same kind of thought that makes a lot of cops say "gently caress em all they're all just junkies/n*ggers/poors" when they're on their beats. It's over generalizing a whole group of people

no they do that because that's the kind of people that police work attracts and that kind of attitude is encouraged within police culture

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

please tell me that this dude got shot too

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
the hat is concealing an urn with Philando's ashes in it

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
the way those robots disarm explosives is to roll up next to them with another explosive on a stick and blow them up, that's probably how they blew up the shooter

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
also has The Rook been deployed yet?

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

BeefThief posted:

police officers put their lives on the line every day

they don't really though. being a cop is not a particularly dangerous job

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
bombot

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
pretty soon cops will be replaced by bombots that will kill black people at a much lower cost and with higher efficiency

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

THE PWNER posted:

do you think if cops killed blacks with bomb robots people would be ok with it? lets be real,thats pretty sick. maybe worth it

i would feel better about that if the robots walked on some kind of legs rather than rolling on tank treads

i can't really explain why tho

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

why does it take all this violence for me to discover all these awesome old black politicians?

they are't that awesome, the congressional black caucus super pac board of directors is made up almost entirely of private prison, cigarette company (Newport lol), and pharma lobbyists and they are all A-OK with that

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Just The Facts posted:

Police are going to be much calmer when approaching black men now.

actually this is what happened with the NYPD; they stopped arresting people over petty poo poo as if that was some kind of protest lol

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
someone needs to add Private Johnson to the "you watch the skies" photoshop with ZimZam and Dorner

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
can't strike-ah the micah

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Shinjobi posted:

Seriously though, the police creating a makeshift murderbot is simultaneously amazing and horrifying.

it's not makeshift, it's designed to detonate a small explosive as a way of "disarming" a larger explosive. But in this case they just used it to blow a dude up

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

rear end cobra posted:

Still, the guy who came up with the plan deserves some credit

the robot maintenance guy has been dreaming about this day since he joined the force, and I don't blame him

also there is 100% chance that the robot had a POV camera on it so let's all pray that we'll get to see that eventually

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

bring back old gbs posted:

we're gonna build a gundam and the blacks are gonna pay for it!!

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Mr Underhill posted:

Did that guy who surrendered to the police and actually had nothing to do with it REALLY walk around with that huge loving weapon? Is that actually a thing in the USA? Holy poo poo. You just walk around with a huge loving killing machine like that? On the streets of Dallas? I'm being serious, this is mind blowing to this Eastern European.

yeah we have a right to bear arms and that includes openly bringing a rifle to a protest, it's actually kinda cool

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Mr Underhill posted:

Hm, okay. Don't take this the wrong way, wasn't there a whole narrative on how people carrying could just take on these terrorists? Come on, dude, don't just give up your gun to the cops, what was the point of having it in the first place? Would he have surrendered it if he was white? This is all very confusing.

that guy was smart enough to know that a black dude carrying a rifle had zero chance of leaving that protest alive once the shooting started.

If he was white he probably would have been OK to keep it because cops would have at least hesitated to shoot an armed white dude. Not a black guy though.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Fire Barrel posted:

I always thought they were supposed to have fitness tests and psych evaluations regularly. And yet it seems like a disproportionate number of cops are just fat bullies with complexes and guns. Its like these forces don't teach discipline either.

i don't think they do because there are some seriously fat cops around here, I saw a guy directing traffic that had to be every bit of 400lbs

if you really want to be a cop the #1 qualification is being able to pass a polygraph test about how much weed you've smoked in your lifetime

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

dog buttz posted:

lol I know a guy who was applying to work in the sheriffs office or some poo poo. He lied about ever smoking weed and they called him out on it and told him there wasn't a cop on the force who doesn't smoke weed.

i actually looked into working for the Pinellas County Sheriffs years ago and their hiring requirements mentioned marijuana a lot and even had a weirdly specific number of times you could have smoked it, above which you were disqualified. and the requirements also pointed out that you'd be polygraph tested about marijuana and your hair would be tested too

they definitely gave me the impression that the most important requirement was not smoking marijuana more than like 6 times in your entire life

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

reallivedinosaur posted:

i about not being an active user who associates with drug dealers

they realize just about everybody has toked a dube at a high school or college party

they dont want people who drink on the job either

dude that sells weed = "drug dealer" lol

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Hamelekim posted:

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/crim...r-s-bullets.ece

Is most of Texas like this guy? Because he is clearly part of the problem.

like all of America is that guy

quote:

If the violence against police doesn't stop, he said, police will stop working to protect citizens.

oh god no who will beat up skateboarders and arrest people for weed or write tickets for expired tags then? will all of our dogs go un-shot? the humanity!

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
So that cop in Kansas threatening a little kid on facebook actually happened:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/kansas-cop-fired-after-threatening-dallas-woman-facebook-n606911

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Nerses IV posted:

It's $20/hr with time and a half overtime over 40 for people who don't need to speak English and learned their skills on the job. It's absolutely solid, and it can become a career if you've got an aptitude for construction. It might not be something to "aspire to," but it beats the gently caress out of quitting your $7.25 job to go sell crack or whatever.

lol bullshit nobody is making $20 doing construction without certified skills and years of experience unless you are in some place like NYC that is all mobbed up with badass unions and then you have to have some way of joining that elite club

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Nerses IV posted:

Florida's construction industry is booming right now, so there's a shitload of opportunities for people who are hard enough to deal with it. The site I'm at right now has lady buckhoist operators making 15/hr plus overtime to press a button for 10 hours a day, and they get to attend the equipment training classes and get licensed to operate forklifts/boomlifts/etc for free if there's room in the class. But it's not something to "aspire to," so people don't even know it's there. The superintendents are constantly looking for reliable people to do the bitch work of construction (sweeping up, putting up safety signs, emptying trashcans) and they pay startlingly well but the only people who seek out those kinds of jobs are generally fuckups who stop showing up after a couple of weeks once they've got enough money to drink and gamble.

One guy went from making $7.25 his first day on the job to $15 an hour, but he started missing days as soon as he had enough spare cash to spend a few days getting high. So the dude's supervisor dropped him back down, and now he shows up every day again. It's hosed up. I don't know how you fix something like that.

i'm almost kinda sympathetic to this argument because if you go to a trade school for anything for like a year you can get your foot in the door somewhere that will eventually turn into a good job after a couple years of poo poo, and for some reason lots of poor people seem to be completely unaware of this and just work brainless retail and food jobs forever or give up entirely. it's a bummer. somebody should be telling high school kids that bare-minimum effort drunkass plumbers make $25 an hour and good electricians can be loving rich, like six figures.

but we both know that unskilled black or brown dude with a clean record showing up to a construction company in the south to look for a job isn;t going to be making $15-20 for quite a while though, and probably not without some level of professional certification and training and a handful of luck thrown in

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Millennial Sexlord posted:

You can get financial assistance

lol have fun paying your rent with $150 on an ebt card that you won't get without months of effort

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think BLM should stop asking for permits and police protection. Show them you don't need them and things need to change with or with out them. Arm yourselves following local law and start loving marching. You want to change something, stop asking for loving permission.

if they don't get permitted then that's what the police will use as justification to go apeshit on them

speaking as someone that grew up poor and white and living in really poor black and Mexican neighborhoods; if you gave me and my family the opportunity to forgo "protection" from the police in exchange for being left alone by them every one of us would have signed up for that in a second

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

reallivedinosaur posted:

maybe the people in the poor neighbourhoods should just stop reporting crimes then the police wont come

lol you think poor people call the cops very often? the cops just drive around our neighborhoods harassing anyone that's outside.

most of the problems between cops and poors would be solved if cops would just stay in the loving police station until someone calls them, it's them driving around looking for something to do and being pushed by their bosses to maximize the number of arrests that causes all of the problems

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

reallivedinosaur posted:

i absolutely 100% believe that as soon as you get in trouble you call the cops

maybe but I don't get "in trouble" ever so I dunno

reallivedinosaur posted:

and then complain they didn't recover your BMX for you

I definitely would never call the cops for stolen property other than a car because I already know that they don't give a poo poo and won't do poo poo

edit: in Florida you are legally required to pay the loving pawn shop whatever they paid the burglar to get your own stolen property back so maybe that gives you some idea

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Brannock posted:

community policing is proven and very effective and it involves constant engagement with the area and the people living there instead of sitting in the station all day long

lol never saw this once in my life, maybe it works? anything is better than "drive around in a car until you see people on foot or bicycles that you can shake down and hopefully arrest for marijuana" which seems to be the main objective of every police department that I've lived near

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Have friend steal item, report missing after he sells it to pawn shop, claim item at pawn shop

they take your ID and even a thumbprint when you sell something to most pawn shops, so your friend would get arrested and he would owe the money to the pawn shop. If Florida wasn't barbaric

the St Pete Times had a long article around Xmas a few years ago about a woman that had her digital camera stolen out of her car, reported it stolen, and it turned up at a pawn shop discovered by police during one of their checks or whatever.

So the police call her and tell her where her camera is, and she drives to the pawn shop expecting to get it back and the shop owner was like "no you owe me the $100 that I paid the guy that stole your camera". So she called the cops and they came down there and verified that the shop owner was right.

the punchline was that the woman was like "gently caress that" and didn't buy the camera back, then she went home and thought about how her kid's pictures and their first birthdays and poo poo like that were on the memory card, so she goes back and pays for the camera and guess what? the memory card was gone anyway.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Tricky D posted:

Maybe the thing for #BLM to do is organize themselves into an effective voting bloc and stump for candidates of their choosing who will make the systematic changes they want. Not on the national level where politicians are least involved with the day to day operation of law enforcement, but positions like the mayors, sherrifs, and judges that preside over the most affected communities.

lol like this is even possible

you can't win anything as a third party candidate and neither of the two major parties will even consider a candidate for any level that hasn't been playing the local politics game for years and years to prove that they are 100% status quo and have lots of connections to money

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Boner Zone posted:

The police's idea of community policing is at best driving through bad neighborhoods a little more slowly than usual

that's exactly what it is, also they will jump out of their cars and search anyone that looks at them or anyone that is riding a bicycle

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Moridin920 posted:

Here's my grand unified theory of police pussification:

- We need community policing. Beat cops. Cops who interact with people. People who know the officers' names who are in their community.

- Less militarization of the police. Less adversarial attitudes between cops and civilians.

- Going into pissed off communities looking like they do in the OP's photo helps nothing at all whatsoever and only serves to create more distrust and fear. Cops 30-40 years ago managed to handle much more violent riots and situations without donning full suit blacked out armor and riding around in surplus armored military vehicles.

i'd add:

- end the federal government's promotion of "drug" arrests (no more checks from the DEA for arresting stoners)

- strong laws to discourage police administration from judging an individual officer's job performance based on number/type of arrests

- prohibition on transferring any equipment from DOD to police departments

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

FuhrerHat posted:

i dont like the lack of transferable equipment mainly because youll just end up selling it somewhere else and causing a problem there instead but otherwise ya, good

I long for the day when rednecks can own Army surplus MRAPS and use them to roll coal on cops driving around in Priuses

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

The police are fine once you end the loving drug war.

yeah but if you end the drug war then you don't need nearly as many police, and they lose a big portion of their funding

poo poo if you just legalize marijuana like 90% of America's "drug problem" disappears all at once

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Cartouche posted:

They regulate and distribute liquor. :shrug:

weed is way less harmful than alcohol and shouldn't be regulated or taxed any more than any other farmed plant product, like spinach

do whatever you want with the other drugs

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Yah thats why they'd be fine if you ended the drug war. Not every town would need a tank

agreed, but then you have to get rid of a bunch of cops and no politician is going to want to do that

also very wealthy special interests like Walmart have become accustomed to police providing all of their security against shoplifters for free and they aren't gonna want to start paying for security themselves when we don't have a huge overabundance of cops anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

reallivedinosaur posted:

the solution to all this "systemic oppression" is an even bigger and more convoluted system

yeah but with less armed fatasses playing Call of Duty LARP

• Locked thread