Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Problem issue: Right now I have a CPU underclocking issue. I like to play them vidya games, and suddenly this saturday morning that I should be using to go outside I'm hid away doing something unproductive. My CPU suddenly underclocks itself significantly. Right now it's clocked itself down to 700 mhz when it's a 3.2 ghz i5 6500 processor. Currently just using it to browse the web and still kept itself downclocked all morning. This is not an overheating issue as I have a HyperEVO 212 that is working, and according to HWmonitor under heavy load my highest CPU temp I've seen is around 38c. Apparently it's designed to do safely have up to 55c.

Attempted Fixes: I have made the attempted fixes of: Changing some BIOS settings to turn off some potential downscaling throttles, making sure my power settings were at high performance and really not much else. This is an issue I'm not really educated on and there is no easy google guide for every individual motherboard tweak settings out there. Don't know what timings or multiplier settings or any of that really does. Installed new graphics drivers when I thought that was an issue, and multiple resets to check my BIOS settings.

I attempted to reset my CMOS but my CMOS battery is extremely hard to get out of its socket. After attempting to remove it and giving up, I turned my PC back on to find it worked at 3.4 ghz like it should for about 45 minutes in a heavy load game as a test, before coming back down to 700 mhz. HWMonitor tells me it wasn't overheating there either.

Recent changes: Nothing that would really interfere with a CPU beyond attempting to remove the CMOS battery and failing miserably.

Operating system: I am using Windows 10 64 bit.

System specs: My specs are
GTX 970
I5-6500
MSI Z170A M3 Gaming Motherboard
16 gigs of Ripjaws RAM,
Corsair Force SSD
2 TB seagate HDD, Roswell
HIVE 750W Modular Power Supply

I have Googled and read the FAQ:: Googling this issue leads to a lot of obscure stuff and almost generally "It's an overheating issue". If this is a hardware problem I'd like to find a way to confirm what exact hardware is malfunctioning. So uh, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

In the performance monitor it keeps changing from .77 ghz speed and the correct 3.2 to 3.4 ghz speed when I look at it from time to time just sitting here idle.

Which implies to me this is a heat issue, but again having kept HW Monitor up, everything is in the low 20's. :bang:

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 9, 2016

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
This is how it is supposed to work, your CPU only clocks up under load.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Alereon posted:

This is how it is supposed to work, your CPU only clocks up under load.

No no, it's killing my performance significantly even when I am actually using it.

That being said I may have fixed the issue. https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/531278-skylake-system-stuck-at-800mhz/ gonna give it another day or so then close the thread.

• Locked thread