Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

emoji posted:

and then signing off on projects.

yea this is nbd or anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i've normally held a title of being a "manager" of some kind even though i never felt like i've managed anything

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

yea this is nbd or anything

I didn't say it wasn't a big deal but also there should be a chain of responsibility going back to the software as well and a body/standards for software engineering re: Therac-25.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
criminal liability for software would be p lol

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
*farts uncontrollably* I'm a maker!

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Phoenixan posted:

i've normally held a title of being a "manager" of some kind even though i never felt like i've managed anything

i'm a senior technical lead!

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
My worst professional headaches involve coders who have an EE degree and should understand computers down to the metal but are constantly surprised that they don't have a little man inside that understands intentions

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

duTrieux. posted:

i'm a managing technical principle

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Such as chuck Moore for example, the guy has been doing computers since the 1950s and is one of the few remaining people who can bootstrap a full hw/sw stack yet he fumes that commercial compilers should correctly fix mismatched parentheses on the fly (something that no compiler he ever made can do)

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
All aboard!

*makes train noises*

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Btw op public sanitation planning is a serious matter requiring a lot of integrated knowledge and people suffer when it isn't done correctly

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Gazpacho posted:

Btw op public sanitation planning is a serious matter requiring a lot of integrated knowledge and people suffer when it isn't done correctly

they should have thought about that before being born

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

they should have thought about that before being born

- the republican party

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
oh hey the CS program where i did undergrad and had to major in EE because the CS program was so weak, finally got its ABET accreditation :bravo:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I get paid more than any non-software engineer, so I guess I'm doing them a favor by calling myself one

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Breakfast All Day posted:

you write php. sanitation engineering was already covered in the op

actually php devs dont sanitize their inputs so u cant really classify them as such

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

I'm a chief dreamer

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
This was a social engineering experiment to see how many fake engineers would come in here to defend their credentials

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

SpaceAceJase posted:

This was a social engineering experiment to see how many fake engineers would come in here to defend their credentials

*designs bridge in java*

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx
I'm a code chef.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
software dentist

medical software doctor

full stack lawyer

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
my job is "computerer", as in, "one who computers".

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
when i attended that cs school the dept head was really into the idea of software dev as an engineering discipline, otoh he never did anything to that end except teach people by rote out of a book written by a dead IBM guy who believed that mathematical formalism was the answer to everything. now he's gone and the department is thriving as part of the engineering colege

what i learned from this and a few later experiences is that anyone who says they can bring engineering discipline to software dev is probably a charlatan or cargo cultist

in other news, lol @ electrical engineers who think they understand CS

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jul 11, 2016

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Wild EEPROM posted:

software dentist

medical software doctor

full stack lawyer
computer chiropractor

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Gazpacho posted:

computer chiropractor

reiki algorithm massage

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
computesmen

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
data pilot

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
the other thing about that department head was he absolutely believed (much like leslie lamport does) that it's impossible to fix a software system with any bugs, because a program is a mathematical theorem and if it's wrong you have to start over from axioms

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Gazpacho posted:

when i attended that cs school the dept head was really into the idea of software dev as an engineering discipline, otoh he never did anything to that end except teach people by rote out of a book written by a dead IBM guy who believed that mathematical formalism was the answer to everything. now he's gone and the department is thriving as part of the engineering colege

what i learned from this and a few later experiences is that anyone who says they can bring engineering discipline to software dev is probably a charlatan or cargo cultist

in other news, lol @ electrical engineers who think they understand CS

i giggled every time during orientation that the dean of my engineering school said "your degree in engineering or computer science"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the software engineering ship has long sailed though. get used it next to stationary engineer, railroad engineer and marine engineer. those 3 at least had the title before the professional engineers

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

hobbesmaster posted:

the software engineering ship has long sailed though. get used it next to stationary engineer, railroad engineer and marine engineer. those 3 at least had the title before the professional engineers

except none of those except software engineering has abet accreditation

currently working towards a computer engineering degree that does a lot of hardware stuff, device drivers, logic systems and computer architecture, and a good mix of high level thrown in, i like it but it's slowly destroying whats left of my soul

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender

JewKiller 3000 posted:

don't give a poo poo, will continue

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

table therapist

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

server pharmacist

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

creationist believer posted:

ive got PE SE. by that i mean i'qve got physically exhausted by slight exercise

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Gazpacho posted:

computer chiropractor

unplugs usb keyboard then plugs it back in and restarts computer

that will be $45 please

-the PC DC

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Gazpacho posted:

idk it took millennia to bring engineering discipline to building bridges and we're only like 80 years into software

there are lots of charlatans that don't understand it though, which is why everyone's just talking about if codes could kill instead of the big difference that in software the medium of your final product is the same as your design and is therefore incredibly cheap to iterate on

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Cocoa Crispies posted:

is therefore incredibly cheap to iterate on

it's me i'm the firm unchanging project scope, hallmark of the engineering discipline

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Gazpacho posted:

the other thing about that department head was he absolutely believed (much like leslie lamport does) that it's impossible to fix a software system with any bugs, because a program is a mathematical theorem and if it's wrong you have to start over from axioms

that seems extreme, but otoh i can see how a lifetime of distributed system work might lead you to that way of thinking because distributed systems are literally satan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otaku Alpha Male
Nov 11, 2012

bitches get ~tsundere~ when I pull out my katana
Flight computer crashes

"Excuse me is there a Computer Engineer on this plane??"

Yosposter walks to cockpit and inspects computer

"Your operating system. . . is a piece of poo poo"

• Locked thread