Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
Okay, I have resized the images to 1000px wide and also finally updated the post with the entries from the second update.

The next update will be posted on Saturday. I'll try to get myself more disciplined and post the updates twice a week from now on.

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
There's a Quakecon Steam sale, which has most of the id and Bethesda games at 50% off. Doom included.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Game is super fun looking, and you have great commentary, keep up the good work!

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
The Codex post has been updated with the fresh entries, the update itself will be posted as soon as it is finished processing.

Turtlicious posted:

Game is super fun looking, and you have great commentary, keep up the good work!

Thanks!

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

"Yeah we fracked Hell and started a demonic invasion and all that but in our defense, it seemed like a good idea at the time."

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Look, gas prices got really high.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

GunnerJ posted:

Look, gas prices got really high.

If I remember my lore correctly, the world is plain out of oil and gas by that point.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
So, are we ever going to get to punch Dr. I-don't-remember-his-name-and-really-don't-care in his stupid face? Because he needs to be punched in his stupid face.

Also, did anyone else :3: at the fist-bump of lil' DoomGuy?

Apep727 fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 13, 2016

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Apep727 posted:

So, are we ever going to get to punch Dr. I-don't-remember-his-name-and-really-don't-care in his stupid face? Because he needs to be punched in his stupid face.

1) That would be spoilers
2) We all did. We all did.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
I'm not asking for a time-stamp or anything, just confirmation of whether or not face-punching will occur. Because I'm sure we all want it to happen, but don't want to get face-punching blue-balls.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You will have to watch and find out

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Apep727 posted:

I'm not asking for a time-stamp or anything, just confirmation of whether or not face-punching will occur. Because I'm sure we all want it to happen, but don't want to get face-punching blue-balls.

I understand completely.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Doomguy knows the only person in the universe as bad-rear end as him, is himself. Which makes him the only person in the universe who can pull off a self-fistbump.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
My inner beast is that pigeon-rat fromThe Simpsons's Treehouse of Horror episode with Bart's twin Hugo.

And will you be make cold based puns when you kill things with the Plasma Rifle Alexey?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

My inner beast is a capybara.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
My inner beast is a cacotoo that was accidentally exposed to pew pew pew a single time, and has been driving everyone nearby mad ever since.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

White Coke posted:

And will you be make cold based puns when you kill things with the Plasma Rifle Alexey?

Hell no!

Fish Noise posted:

My inner beast is a cacotoo that was accidentally exposed to pew pew pew a single time, and has been driving everyone nearby mad ever since.

Don't worry, I know better than to drive everyone insane... I think :v:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I honestly don't really like the Plasma Gun. Don't get me wrong, it IS effective, but I only use it after all other options have been exhausted. Maybe it's just me, but it just isn't as satisfying to use as the ballistic weapons, especially when compared to something like the (spoiling for safety) Super Shotgun- seriously, I swear I have a small orgasm every time I fire that beautiful thing.

And don't you guys dare TMI me, I know some most of you do too :colbert:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Berserk mode sure kicks rear end.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
The plasma gun does seem to lack oomph compared with the 90s original. It's the weedy plib-plib-plib sound it makes on firing, I think. It does plenty of damage and seems quite effective, but it doesn't appeal to the player's senses the way the ballistic weapons do.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

My inner beast is a baby emperor penguin.

Do lower difficulties provide you with a greater ammo capacity? The really small amount of shots you can carry would annoy me to no end, and it feels counter to the Doom feel.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The plasma gun is fine, and the heat vent is a nice secondary. Unfortunately it shares it's ammo pool with another weapon.

SIEGE MODE

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I like the comparatively wimpy sound of the plasma gun compared to the heavy assault rifle since it makes the plasma gun seem like a flashy, new, over designed weapon made to wow investors.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
The plasma gun and shotgun both get overshadowed, but they also get alt fire modes that can keep them relevant: grenade launcher when you don't have any other splash damage options, stun bomb to do something no other weapon really does and can help you out with certain demons that charge your rear end.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

The little easter egg tune seems like it's probably an homage to the Metroid item room music (my inner beast is a metroid)

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Apep727 posted:

It was him blowing it up at the end that got me. The little touches.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

azren posted:

My inner beast is a baby emperor penguin.

Do lower difficulties provide you with a greater ammo capacity? The really small amount of shots you can carry would annoy me to no end, and it feels counter to the Doom feel.

They don't. Argent shards are the only way to increase the ammo limit. There's also an endgame upgrade that makes the ammo supply infinite subject to a certain condition, and, paired with appropriate weapon mods, it breaks the game.

Spaeking of. I've failed the recordings of missions 6 through 8 (no clue why), and the game doesn't let me reset the progress, so now I'm playing through the game again, and in order to make that as quick as possible, I chose the lowest difficulty. Turned out that the only things it affects are the aggressiveness of the monsters and the amount of damage that they deal. Neither makes the game go any faster, even if the challenge is completely removed from the game.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

The plasma gun and shotgun both get overshadowed, but they also get alt fire modes that can keep them relevant: grenade launcher when you don't have any other splash damage options, stun bomb to do something no other weapon really does and can help you out with certain demons that charge your rear end.

Even getting into the later game, the heat vent can be useful when it's fully upgraded.

An infinite ammo reasonably fast recharging AOE that instagibs small enemies and stuns large ones can be quite good for clearing an area and buying some breathing room.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Alexeythegreat posted:

They don't. Argent shards are the only way to increase the ammo limit. There's also an endgame upgrade that makes the ammo supply infinite subject to a certain condition, and, paired with appropriate weapon mods, it breaks the game.

Spaeking of. I've failed the recordings of missions 6 through 8 (no clue why), and the game doesn't let me reset the progress, so now I'm playing through the game again, and in order to make that as quick as possible, I chose the lowest difficulty. Turned out that the only things it affects are the aggressiveness of the monsters and the amount of damage that they deal. Neither makes the game go any faster, even if the challenge is completely removed from the game.

Heavy. Don't think anyone's think that's cheating tho.

When did games stop doing level selects, anyway?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Half-Life 1?

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Doom has level select, but the progress is saved anyway. I.e. the weapons, the secrets, the challenges - it's all found and done.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I got the bug with codex entries not scrolling, too, and in my experience it was usually fixed by going to another codex entry and then coming back to the one that was refusing to scroll. Really weird one, though.

The berserk powerup is also loving amazing, nothing like being up against some really dodgy, but reasonably tough enemies, then you poke the berserk power up, you run into their general vicinity, press attack and you just zoop over to them and tear their head off. I was generally really, really pleasantly surprised by glory kills, when I first saw footage of the game I was like "uuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh, they're gonna break the flow of the game and they're gonna be stupid edgelord poo poo" and then I played the game and, while the novelty does wear off after a while, they don't break the flow of combat at all, and I was easily able to adapt a playstyle based around rushing into smooching-distance with a shotgun and glorykilling everything that didn't instantly explode.

Usually, anyway.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
The Glorykills mechanic deserves a lot of praise: the animations are quick and brutal, maintaining the flow of the game,while the split-moment of invincibility can help quckly assessing how to react immediately afterwards and turning enemies into health/armor dispensers also contributes in keeping up the action.
The only two other recent games that I can think of have a similar mechanic are Revengeance where it added an extra thin layer of skill but worked similarly and Relic's Space Marine, though only superficially there.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Really enjoying this LP. I haven't played a Doom game since I was young, but this one looks really fun and seems like it runs like a dream, so this LP is probably doing the job of convincing me.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
The glorykills really start making a lot of sense once you get the means to do them from across the room.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

radintorov posted:

The Glorykills mechanic deserves a lot of praise: the animations are quick and brutal, maintaining the flow of the game,while the split-moment of invincibility can help quckly assessing how to react immediately afterwards and turning enemies into health/armor dispensers also contributes in keeping up the action.
The only two other recent games that I can think of have a similar mechanic are Revengeance where it added an extra thin layer of skill but worked similarly and Relic's Space Marine, though only superficially there.

The only real issue with Glory Kills is when they make them part of challenges. As everyone's noticed, there are different glory kills accessible for most enemies(all, I think, really, but a couple of them you'll mostly probably see just the one over and over), but it's not random which one you get, it's down to your positioning with regards to the enemy. Are you coming in from the front, the side, above, below, etc.

And the problem with challenges is that some of them demand that you do X of specific glory kill against enemy Y. And some of the glory kills, while cool, are just borderline IMPOSSIBLE to reliably trigger, even if you know how(the game, obviously, tells you which way a given glory kill is activated).

I'll say that I generally like the IDEA of the challenges, because in concept they ask you to vary your playstyle for rewards, but the execution, hoo boy, needs some work.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

We get a new weapon, I get jumpscared (twice) because the level has stupidly placed triggers, and enter the best drat Classic Doom Room in the game. And sequence break without sequence breaking.
Also, tell me if I should keep posting the new codex entries with the update or if you feel like this clutters up the thread too much.

...dropped to negligible amounts.

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 21, 2016

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Swillkitsch posted:

Really enjoying this LP. I haven't played a Doom game since I was young, but this one looks really fun and seems like it runs like a dream, so this LP is probably doing the job of convincing me.

Thanks!

PurpleXVI posted:

The only real issue with Glory Kills is when they make them part of challenges. As everyone's noticed, there are different glory kills accessible for most enemies(all, I think, really, but a couple of them you'll mostly probably see just the one over and over), but it's not random which one you get, it's down to your positioning with regards to the enemy. Are you coming in from the front, the side, above, below, etc.

And the problem with challenges is that some of them demand that you do X of specific glory kill against enemy Y. And some of the glory kills, while cool, are just borderline IMPOSSIBLE to reliably trigger, even if you know how(the game, obviously, tells you which way a given glory kill is activated).

I'll say that I generally like the IDEA of the challenges, because in concept they ask you to vary your playstyle for rewards, but the execution, hoo boy, needs some work.

I have found at least two glory kills for every non-boss enemy.
One of the challenges in a later level involves executing four Hell Razers with a glory kill that is only triggered by targeting its lower right leg. And there's, like, 6 or 7 Hell Razers in that entire mission. It's pretty bad.

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Aug 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Is it my imagination or are the glory kills slightly... underwhelming? They're nowhere near as meaty as some of the stuff I remember from RE4 or other games; the demons just don't seem to have any mass after being punched.

• Locked thread