Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I got the bug with codex entries not scrolling, too, and in my experience it was usually fixed by going to another codex entry and then coming back to the one that was refusing to scroll. Really weird one, though.

The berserk powerup is also loving amazing, nothing like being up against some really dodgy, but reasonably tough enemies, then you poke the berserk power up, you run into their general vicinity, press attack and you just zoop over to them and tear their head off. I was generally really, really pleasantly surprised by glory kills, when I first saw footage of the game I was like "uuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh, they're gonna break the flow of the game and they're gonna be stupid edgelord poo poo" and then I played the game and, while the novelty does wear off after a while, they don't break the flow of combat at all, and I was easily able to adapt a playstyle based around rushing into smooching-distance with a shotgun and glorykilling everything that didn't instantly explode.

Usually, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

radintorov posted:

The Glorykills mechanic deserves a lot of praise: the animations are quick and brutal, maintaining the flow of the game,while the split-moment of invincibility can help quckly assessing how to react immediately afterwards and turning enemies into health/armor dispensers also contributes in keeping up the action.
The only two other recent games that I can think of have a similar mechanic are Revengeance where it added an extra thin layer of skill but worked similarly and Relic's Space Marine, though only superficially there.

The only real issue with Glory Kills is when they make them part of challenges. As everyone's noticed, there are different glory kills accessible for most enemies(all, I think, really, but a couple of them you'll mostly probably see just the one over and over), but it's not random which one you get, it's down to your positioning with regards to the enemy. Are you coming in from the front, the side, above, below, etc.

And the problem with challenges is that some of them demand that you do X of specific glory kill against enemy Y. And some of the glory kills, while cool, are just borderline IMPOSSIBLE to reliably trigger, even if you know how(the game, obviously, tells you which way a given glory kill is activated).

I'll say that I generally like the IDEA of the challenges, because in concept they ask you to vary your playstyle for rewards, but the execution, hoo boy, needs some work.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Alexeythegreat posted:

One of the challenges in a later level involves executing four Hell Razers with a glory kill that is only triggered by targeting its lower right leg. And there's, like, 6 or 7 Hell Razers in that entire mission. It's pretty bad.

That's EXACTLY the one I was thinking of, I didn't feel like there weren't enough Hell Razers to get it, just that the Glory Kill was almost goddamn impossible to trigger. There are also a few challenges that can really only be done by herding around Possessed or Unwilling or whatever they're called loitering near un-activated gorenests until they're in the right position to work for the upgrade point challenge(or weapon mastery challenge, if anything I felt those were more annoying than the upgrade challenges).

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Y-Hat posted:

I vote to keep the codex entries in. They're like the lore from Metroid Prime- little things to read that add atmosphere to the game's universe.

Same here, some of the location lore entries later in the game are downright hilarious, in an intentional way, not due to being bad or anything.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Apep727 posted:

Okay, semi-random question: am I the only one who keeps expecting the bodies with the key cards and upgrade tokens to move when you bend down to pick the thing up? I know it'd be cliche as hell, but my trope-trained brain keeps expecting it to happen.

That already happened once. :v: When he grabbed a keycard off one of the super scrub generic enemies and it got up and came after him.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I always found the Rocket Launcher to be pretty useful. With the lock-on secondary ability it becomes GREAT for pummelling distant enemies taking pot shots at you. I don't think it counts as a spoiler that this, a Doom game, has Cacodemons, and I found it wonderful for dealing with them, because two salvos would splort them effectively, freeing me up to focus on ground-bound enemies.

Also the next level has my favourite bits of character for the Doomguy. Looking forward to it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I have to admit I really felt like the heavy rifle scope was the most "odd man out" of all the weapon upgrades, considering how it basically requires you to stand in place with something that doesn't kill rapidly, in a fast-paced gunfight. I much preferred the micromissiles, which were INCREDIBLY fun once maxed out. Maybe not the most effective option in the game, but very satisfying nonetheless. :v:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I also have to admit, I actually found the vacuum rune pretty useful. It guarantees that you get the maximum out of each glory kill or chainsaw kill, rather than missing something if you back off or strafe after making the kill, rather than dashing forwards. Then again, it may not be the optimal choice.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I think my only issue with the super shotgun is how it makes the normal shotgun basically pointless(and the fact that the super shotgun conveys unwarranted feelings of immortality and omnipotence, making you take stupid risks... okay, that's not so much a downside as a really fun thing. Why carefully take out that Hell Knight if instead I can double jump over it while firing my super shotgun down at its head?). At least it did for me, I never went back and used it or its mods at all afterwards. It would've been nice if the SSG was an upgrade instead, so you could've used the same weapon mods for it without needing to swap down.

None of the other weapons quite make their predecessor meaningless in the same way, mostly because the closest thing you have to a straight upgrade on one weapon to another is the heavy rifle to the chaingun. Though oddly enough I never really used the chaingun much.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I have to admit I didn't mind the ascent at all, I thought it was a nice bit of variety.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I admit, I never got that much mileage out of the railgun except for its secondary fire modes. The primary fire just never really seemed worth it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

If skulls are the keycards of Hell and are consumed on opening a door, that explains why the demons are invading. They just want skulls so they can open their front door after a long day of work. :v:

Also yeah, my only real issue with Hell is that if you're obsessive about exploring every inch of terrain like me, it can be harrowing to not be sure if you're about to miss a niche because you can't figure out how to open it, or whether it just opens later after an arbitrary story point.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Apep727 posted:

re: the sword thing

As cool as that would be, I can't remember any instances of good implementation of swords in a first person game, especially an FPS.

Dead Island did melee pretty alright, at least with the heavier weapons. But I don't think a melee weapon would really mesh well with a game as mobile as DOOM 2016.

The alternative is to just have the sword be a reskinned chainsaw in functionality, that might work pretty alright.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Crazy Achmed posted:

Who did the soundtrack for this game, by the way? It seems like a nice middle ground between quake 2-style metal, quake 1 reznory industrial ambient, with a but of glitchy bassy electronic thrown in for good measure.

Mick Gordon, he's pretty good at it, he's done a few other soundtracks and they're generally quite boss. I think this is my favourite work of his, though.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

The Demonic Audio Logs are one of the parts of the game I really loved. Also yes, the chaingun was kind of garbage, since in pretty much any case where you can use it, I found it better to use my bullets on heavy rifle microrockets instead. I think the issue is that it's the weapon that hands out its damage most over time as opposed to in one big spiky lump, making it less compatible with the running and jumping where you often only have a second or so to exploit to do damage. In that second, a rocket from the rocket launcher, the super shotgun, the railgun and probably even the plasma rifle can hand out more damage than the chaingun would have time for.

The chaingun would probably have more of a purpose if there were ranged enemies that didn't bother to close to melee range at all(most enemies try to get up close since that's where they're most dangerous, I think the Summoner is the only real exception), and enemy projectiles were interceptable. Then a constant stream of bullets to rake enemy fireballs and missiles out of the air would be more useful.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I didn't even know there were any backtracking foilers except possibly related to a couple of boss arenas to avoid you jumping back out.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

So, as a couple of things. In Doom 3, Hell is quite clearly HELL, because it's got weird, shifting architecture and the shades of the dead. In Doom 1, 2 and 2016 it seems way more just like an alien dimension. Like, there's no sign that the dead, even the super big jackasses, ever ended up there. Also interesting to note that none of the humans Hayden brought with him to Hell ever came back, he quite clearly had a pack of guards that one time we saw him there. Have to wonder if they all got killed and Hayden just fought his way out or whether he left them there to die because he's a bit of a dick.

And I never caught the Summoner/Archvile thing myself, well-spotted.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I have a hard time imagining Doomguy riding the train. Nowhere to walk, nothing to punch, nothing to shoot. I imagine he does a lot of impatient pacing.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

You know another thing I really appreciate about DOOM 2016? It never pulls any of that garbage that other FPS games, especially modern ones love, where every piece of transport you're on crashes, or where you're constantly overwhelmed by a single guy in a cutscene despite just butchering a horde of his comrades, or randomly stripped of your inventory after a similar situation, or arbitrarily captured. It's really staggering when you're watching other FPS LP's at the same time(Like Metro Last Light, where I think the protagonist has crashed literally every railcar he's been in and, despite being a superhuman stealth/killer guy, has been captured three or four times or otherwise thrown off his feet just by a guy hiding behind a door an equal number of times). It just gets so eye-rolling in some games.

Doomguy remains unstoppable and keeps on going where he's going, in charge of himself.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Straight White Shark posted:

I don't think it's entirely ridiculous. It's an isolated outpost in a barren, remote wasteland millions of miles away from Earth, it's not like the local school is sending field trips for educational tours.

Are you suggesting that watching the Doom Slayer dispose of demons isn't a highly educational experience?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I'm surprised by how little you're jumping sometimes. I always feel like jumping was one of the game's great joys.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

The only problem with the railgun is that it just... it doesn't have the right sound to really feel oomphy. Like, the super shotgun, the minigun, rocket launcher, plasma rifle, etc. always have great sounds. But the railgun, even siege mode, I rarely realize how much damage it's done until a hellknight keels over with half his body gone.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

It could be an interesting change of pace. Why not.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Man, I'm sad I never got the Rich Get Richer rune on my run.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I almost completely forgot to mention it, by the way, but good editing at the Rune Challenge in the last video, Alexey.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

You really should jump more during fights.

I have to say I also generally dig DOOM 2016's version of post-Hell Mars.Until the demons start teleporting in, you could imagine that the human survivors just went insane and ate each other, then arranged the corpses as ornaments.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Samovar posted:

What were all the Easter Eggs in that room, btw? I'm not well versed in Doom mythos.

I probably missed some of the Easter Eggs, but the major one that I noticed was that the cube with the glowy yellow bits that Alexey briefly looked at, was the Soul Cube from Doom 3, where it was the ultimate weapon needed to win the game, and also generally a useful artifact.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I loved the Cyberdemon boss fight, it was a nice change of pace from the other fights in the game.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Being chased by a Baron of Hell in those narrow Hell corridors can be a bit tense sometimes.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Yeah, if the Doom Slayer really wanted "impenetrable" armor, those mentioned old Nokia phones is what it should've been made out of. I'm still using an early 2000's Nokia and aside from a slightly scratched up screen, it's still working flawlessly.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Get better soon, Alexey.

Also the Hellguards felt like the only monsters in the game that had... I won't say unfitting, but surprising designs. Strip away the fireballs and they'd feel like an HL1 enemy, what with the bulbous bioluminesence and biotech power armor they've got going on.

I think this was one of two places where I actually got killed. Or possibly the only one, it's starting to be a while since I played the game.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

The Russian dub of this LP is excellent. 10 out of 10.

Also the Vega sections of the game were some of my favourites, those battles made REALLY good use of vertical design, I felt, and you had to constantly keep on the move for the most part.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Samovar posted:

Is there no German verb available that means 'to impersonate'? Or can you not 'make' nouns from verbs in German?

You CAN make up new words in German, just prepare for them to be 30-letter compound monstrosities. Definitely scarier than the actual monster they're describing.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Seriously, up until the VEGA bit, it was possible to see the Doom Slayer as just an extremely angry guy who was, coincidentally, doing the work of Good, by smiting demons with his anger. This is where you get confirmation that he's a good dude, because he does what he can to save an innocent life.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

I like this explanation, because it allows for VEGA to make an appearance in a Doom sequel, while also preventing the player from having ultrabytes of information at their fingertips next time around. Mind you, we don't know what kind of helltech powers the Doom Marine's suit, so who knows what would happen once VEGA's plugged into said suit.

Plug VEGA into a Praetor suit, co-op action ho!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Yeah, the VEGA battles were tougher and tenser, which was a bit of a shame. But these are still pretty good.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Alternately, the Night Sentinels, used to dealing with Wraiths and their energy, already all have Argent Absorbers or similar built into their SWEET loving ARMOR, JESUS IT LOOKS COOL.

Also, the Spider Mastermind was one of the bosses that killed me, because I didn't see the floor-and-platform electrifying happening, and as Alexey showed, GODDAMN, that will roast you up good.

Great LP, Alexey, good commentary, thanks for the show!

EDIT: I'm struck by the fact that the game essentially does its credits in the same way the DOOM movie did. I wonder if that's a coincidence. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Eopia posted:

My reading of it was that the betrayer -is- the Doomguy, and that being betrayed by hell in their deal in addition to his world being cast down into it, caused him to go on his unending, unstoppable rampage.

Far as I recall, the Betrayer is specifically a different person because the Betrayer made Doomguy's armor? Unless that's a different Betrayer, it IS a bit of a generic title, after all.

• Locked thread