Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
double nine
Aug 8, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

It's also the first point where the game kinda breaks its "promise" about story in games, its the "don't give a gently caress" attitude where you only pay attention when NPCs force you to because they're sick of being ignored. Here we're stuck at the contrived plot device of the magic rocket-proof glass that they can make walls out of but not make armor out of. You just kinda sit there watching, not even able to test its durability.

Yep. This here is my pet peeve about Doom. It promises to not hinder you in the glory of combat but then backs out and does the usual "behind the window" BS anyway.

Worst offender by far is the Advanced Research Complex mission.

At least Half-Life 2 allowed me to shoot my weapons and break some stuff while the exposition happened.

double nine fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Qrr posted:

As with all questions, the answer to cacodemons is siege mode.

berzerk.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

One of those demons was sitting its rear end on the abort button.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Apep727 posted:

No, I think I prefer the "radiate supernatural heat" theory. I mean, what's more logical: that the guys who programmed the computers at this facility thought the "hey, we're putting this place on lock-down because demons" announcement took priority over the "hey, you managed to avert a core meltdown" announcement, or that demons generate special heat that can only be ventilated by blowing holes in them? Come on, man, it's common sense.

I mean the bodies burn into nothingness upon death so ...

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Klaus88 posted:

Note that Olivia has probably the lowest action to gloating ratio for an FPS antagonist, by recent standards anyway.

She's actually pretty good at her job, its just a shame she's up against doomguy. You know she knows not to taunt doomguy.

I donno, "you could not have saved them anyhow" pretty heavily implies impotence on doomguy's part. I don't think doomguy likes being told he can't/couldn't do something.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

http://i.imgur.com/yEE04Pv.mp4

double nine fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Oct 6, 2016

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

White Coke posted:

What operating system do they use in Hell?

windows ME obv.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

the voice at the beginning of the game? That's the Voice of God. Go kick some rear end!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

lol, I just realized Hayden's been going on about his good intentions.

The road to hell ...

He's such a self-righteous prick it's wonderful. Except the exposition bs.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

That fight at the end is what ended my nightmare run. A complete brick wall.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

If Metro Last Light has taught me anything, it's that Russians swearing is cool. So I would very much like this opportunity to learn new (Russian) swears.

сука

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

HenryEx posted:

A lot of times, especially for games terminology or more recent technological stuff, the common parlance has accepted to just use the English term for it. Sometimes it's because a literal translation would sound stupid, overly long or clunky, or it's already used up by something else.

Like in the new game Prey, where in the German version the main enemy type is still called the decidedly English-sounding mimic, because the closest German word to that, Mimik, means "facial expression" and not "tries to hide its presence by adapting an unassuming form"

I don't speak german very well, but wouldn't der imitator or der Nachmacher be acceptable substitutes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Dinictus posted:

I'm still a little leery about how VEGA's entire personality and capacity for reasoning is backed up into a futuristic USB stick, considering he needed this entire absolute-zero coolant facility for everything else.

Still. That little touch was sorely missed from the animations so far. We've gone a long way without angry emoting and a grunt barely restraining his sheer hatred for anything enabling this hellscape.

Could be that the VEGA program is self-learning and the USB stick simply contains the instructions/blueprints for procedural reconstruction of another VEGA.

Or, you know. Technobabble.

• Locked thread