Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Oh yes. Not going to watch immediately since I started my campaign before Alien Hunters came out and haven't had a chance to replay with the DLCs' new stuff, but I'll binge my way to catch up as soon as I've seen what they add. Glad to hear your opinion is generally positive, as the Steam reviews were sort of mixed, especially on Alien Hunters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Brainamp posted:

It's not really a meme so much as acknowledged in-game that she had zero qualms about torture and interrogation of alien prisoners.

If you sit around on the between-missions strategic view of XCOM2, one of the flavor text lines that pops up is actually Tygan alluding to this, saying something to the effect of his predecessor never having a problem getting down and dirty.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Grapplejack posted:

Alessandra "misclick" Margottini

This, except spelled as "Ms. Click".

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Tempest_56 posted:

Also Guava, screw you for the MECs using the rockets rarely. I prioritize those fuckers simply because they absolutely love to obliterate my cover with that.

After a couple trips through the game I have a sense that they use it when they can hit more than one soldier with it, and rarely otherwise. Perceptions of rarity might hinge on a maneuver style that involves staying together vs spreading out.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Cythereal posted:

According to Jake Solomon, it's because each facility has extensive underground sections that you need the X4 charge to blow up.

I wish we could see/invade those. It always seemed so weird to me that the facilities are empty. I know it's just limitations, and it's almost impossible to reconcile background staff and machinery milling about with turn-based gameplay, but that's something that really gets to me about this one. No one is in the facilities, no work is happening, traffic is frozen on the roads, etc. I never noticed it in EW, I guess because if aliens showed up on an abduction mission I'd probably either peel out or abandon the car if I couldn't? Whereas we're supposed to be hidden coming into these strangely static environments.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

The main reason I just don't like Kill Zone that much is that lines of sight seem to be really flakey. I've set up many a kill zone that appears to cover an area, only to have two or three enemies move through it in total safety, and it usually adds up to "1 bonus overwatch shot". Maybe I'm just bad at it?

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Jade Star posted:

Really? not that much love for it? Guava wanted a mod that could throw music onto the skyranger so I started doing it the roundabout way when the mod required stream dev kit tools or some god awful complex stuff. I thought it'd be nice, let me edit out a bunch of load time and throw some cool and possibly unusual music in there.

It's cool, but ultimately it's 30sec out of a 40min video, so if it's causing problems and delays it's not worth the effort to find workarounds.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Green Intern posted:

Beagle is kind of the exact wrong example, since he's best known for his top-difficulty runs and such, but yes, I do agree that Long War 1 was a lot of bullshit at times. I'm starting my own game of Long War 2 on Veteran, so I'll see how rough it is and if they've tweaked it overall.

I look forward to reading people's complaints about LW2; my preferred method of playing 1 was to just identify the most annoying stuff (Air game) by reading what others hate, and then alter the mod to get rid of it. Turns out that if you only keep the parts you like it's pretty fun! (Although I understand that editing arcane config files to get there isn't for everyone.)

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

David Corbett posted:

To be fair, if it were any other way it'd be a pretty terrible game. Humans face off against a galaxy-spanning alien empire that brings to bear the might of entire planets, is smarter and stronger, and wields technologies that we cannot even begin to understand (much less replicate). We lose.

There's a reason that the aliens kinda aren't that smart. Part of it comes up here and there, most recently in the Archon autopsy cut-scene: the troops are all psychic slaves, rendered literally incapable of thinking for themselves, or at least close to it. Tactical limitations are the price of perfect obedience. Part of it was in the intro and the chip-research cut-scene: they'd been using the Commander to operate their military, and now they're reduced to their plan B, which being plan B is presumably not as effective.

As for why the Elders don't do it themselves, that's semi-explained later but spoiler territory for now.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I burst out laughing when I saw that monstrosity

:same: Has Jade said what mod provided that nightmare horror?

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Another miraculous display of bugs. I've never seen any of those after a hundred-odd hours of XCOM2.

Also, you might be thinking of The End in MGS3, whose footsteps you follow around the map to locate his sniper nest.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Now you know how I always feel about Killzone, Jade!

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Brainamp posted:

Andromedons are my personal favorite though, cause if they die you can just hack them!

Also because they're walking grenades who, with judicious use of waypoints, can expose most of an enemy pod by crashing through their cover, and then absorb a huge amount of enemy fire with their armor to serve you longer.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

SugarAddict posted:

what all did you actually get from getting the flight computer, reactor cores, and the other stuff?

Nothing, that's just flavor. You get elerium and alloys like any supply raid, just a bit more. XCOM2 doesn't really do the artifact specificity of the EW.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Jade Star posted:

I just need a good line for the text now.

"I guess I'll just never be Lobster."

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Talow posted:

What about the Facility Lead hack rewards? Assuming you have a competent hacker anyway.

You can research them like a datapad, but I believe only when there is a facility built in a region you haven't contacted. After the research, one such facility will have its mission unlocked without contacting the region.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Well, I nearly got through LW2 in the time it took to bring out the final episode, but I enjoyed watching you take on the finale!

And that 2nd avatar Kill Zone is why I never really liked that skill. You just don't know what you're getting when you click: fields of view are too janky in XCOM, and at longer ranges you may not have two adjacent visible squares for enemies to move between with all the little columns and other blockers. (But it is still great when it works, though, and I've stopped exclusively doing gunslinger-type Sharpshooters.)

• Locked thread