Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kasrkin
Feb 16, 2014

Nothing suspicious here.
Submitted a Soldier, Hyped as All hell for the LP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kasrkin
Feb 16, 2014

Nothing suspicious here.
Yeah! it has Started.

The Cutscenes are great, especially compared to the First one, but i was A bit bothered by the POW shots in the beginning, first, like someone said, it looks like thy are digging the Chip in the back of your head out, THROUGH YOUR FACE.
Second, the moment the face plate comes of, Bradford is up your Grill, staring down at you, without so much as a chime from Tygan.
I can only Imagine Dr. Vahlen would cut his Balls of if he tried that with her in the Room.

and then you get Shoved into action, without a Shower or even Coffee, we all know who the true war Criminals are, at this point.

Kasrkin
Feb 16, 2014

Nothing suspicious here.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Yup, that comes up in the prequel book, Resurrection. After XCOM fell, Bradford stumbled off into the wilderness and transitioned into a successful career in the field of "being a crazy mountain man".

Also of note, XCOM shot down a whole two UFOs during their brief existence. Given most of us were shooting down at least one a week, they deserved to get pubstomped.

Serious question, is the Book a good read?

Kasrkin
Feb 16, 2014

Nothing suspicious here.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

It's not terrible, but it's not likely to rocket to the top of your favourites either. It killed time during lunch breaks at work, which, really, was all I was asking for. It's probably on a par with the Bioshock tie-in - does decent service to the source material, but not mandatory reading. It does accurately reflect an average game of XCOM though, in that characters tend to die at the drop of a hat. I had a good laugh once I realised that. At the end of the day, it's a tie-in book, so adjust your expectations accordingly, but if you see it cheap, you could do worse.

Alright, thanks, i will keep my eyes Open for it then.

Cythereal posted:

On the other hand, they took down a supply barge with nothing but ravens and missiles so good on them - that's what the Avenger is, a refitted supply barge.

The book also talks about contagion zones, which I think one or two events in this game can refer to. They're something weird, spooky, and has even ADVENT and the aliens creeped.

Especially this part has me Intrigued. i'm not sure if i ever came across this in my play troughs.

Kasrkin
Feb 16, 2014

Nothing suspicious here.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Wasn't there something similar in the base game, where if they only took damage relative to the extra HP given to them by armour, they could avoid being in medbay?

yes, there were kind of two Health Bars. Base HP and Armour HP, Armour HP were slightly different in Color tone, and as long as you didn't get lowered into Base HP you were fine to keep on trucking mission after Mission.
i am not sure, which system i prefer, on one side, the injury time in X-Com 2 are kind of Ridiculous sometimes. on the other hand, yeah, getting shot with Plasma might suck even in Power Armour.

Kasrkin fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 21, 2016

Kasrkin
Feb 16, 2014

Nothing suspicious here.

Brainamp posted:

Nah, even the base armor gave a +1 to health. Archangel and Psi were sniper and psionic armors respectively. Everyone else you wanted sporting the objectively best armor, Ghost. Extra hp cannot compare to invisibility plus inbuilt 20 defense.

When it isn't bugged to hell, it's a nice system. Sorta guarantees you won't end up with EU's problem of using the same 6 squad members for every mission in the game.

hehe, yeah, i hear you. Got a Soldier Shot unconscious, 8 Days out, his buddy carrying him out, got shot for 4 or 5 Damage, 12 Days out. That kind of Buggy you mean?

But i still think the problem is still there.

Kasrkin
Feb 16, 2014

Nothing suspicious here.
Anyone experience with the AllPodsActive mod?

i am kinda on the Fence about trying it. on one hand it seems kinda cool, because you need to be careful not to get dragged in unwanted Crossfires, on the other hand, it seems like it might get overwhelming really fast in later stages.

to Stay relevant, what factor decides if you evade the UFO successfully?.

Kasrkin
Feb 16, 2014

Nothing suspicious here.

Kwyndig posted:

It actually depends on your difficulty, on the lowest difficulty you only see that mission once, no matter how many times the dark event shows up.

oh, i actually meant on the Global map, after you received the pop up informing you, you are being tracked by it and bradford yelling about Evasive maneuvers.
what factor decides if the UFO catches you, or not.
but thanks for the Info, i didnt know that.

Kasrkin
Feb 16, 2014

Nothing suspicious here.
I remember that one Stream from jade, with like half a dozen civilians on that one cargo Container, which he promptly mined to kill the two or three aliens sitting beside Them.

You know, Because we are the good guys :v:

Killing a dozen civilians on a normal Mission, no sweat
But dont You dare losing a Single civilian in a retaliation Mission, bradfords gonna berate You for HOURS

Kasrkin
Feb 16, 2014

Nothing suspicious here.

Zomborgon posted:

I should have put in my favorite custom character, then. Meet Chris!

This is Perfection, i died Laughing. I Congratulate you.

I Wish this had been my Submission, but i didn't want to repeat the Joke.

Regarding Ruler reactions: Somebody using the "all Pods Active" Mod and fought the Rulers?
I am rather fond of the mod, but haven't gotten around to clearing Vahlen's hidey hole yet.
I would like to Know, how this Interacts before getting my poo poo kicked in by this (because it sounds not like the fun kind of getting-your-poo poo-kicked-in that is Xcom)

Kasrkin
Feb 16, 2014

Nothing suspicious here.
I have been reading random Soldier Bios yesterday, and one of them Mentions the "Kiryu-Kai Disaster", apart from the fact that this soldier was Born in 2007 and the bio makes clear the disaster was a pre-war Xcom operation and the Soldier in question was a Ranking Officer. :argh:

is this something that really existed in the original, or is this a reference to Guava's LP?

Kasrkin
Feb 16, 2014

Nothing suspicious here.
ah, nice to Know, also i just learned, if you google "kiryu-kai", Guavas LP is like the Second or Third entry. Famous Google Dude, i guess.

back to the LP, i initially played to this game when it came out and never much played around with the Special Grenades, especially Flashbangs. same for most of the Special Ammo types, i used one, maybe two of them. pretty much just Brute Forced every encounter with liberal use of Frag/Plasma Grenades and random acts of vandalism.

so thank you for teaching me how awesome the Flashbang is, especially against Codexi-thingis. I never leave the Avenger without at least one.

Sometime i use them to activate a pod, but usually only when it is just three oder four Codex(es)

i miss the Douchedisks, Gatekeepers are just not the same level of dickishness.

Kasrkin
Feb 16, 2014

Nothing suspicious here.
I love the Avenger Defense Mission, its just all the ADVENT, all the time. Its kind of hilarious, that the UFO always takes the scenic route to catch up to you, i always thought it was just me, because of the mod that make the Avenger move faster on the screen and the ufo needs to mechanically catch up.

Last time i got the defense mission, it was REALLY late game, like all plasma colonels, staffed and upgraded defense matrix, so i thought i take her out for a drive and see how bad it gets. i also got the map, where the Avenger lands on high ground, so it was really all stacked in my favor. After employing Scorched Earth Tactics for the first three Pods and destroying as much cover as possible, i just sat there and waited. i thought the difficulty might be increasing, with more Aliens/ADVENT coming in. buuuuut, no, its only one transport ever, all the time, not even when the target is already down. i got bored after ten to fifteen rounds of just Slaughtering a Boatload of Advent a turn.
Kind of sad, then again, i can imagine it would be a bit to Hard otherwise, if you are in an bad situation already.

also i never move up as much as Jade did, i usually have one or two soldiers Scout, while the rest sits back and picks off targets.
and then have the Sniper(s) blow the target up and have only one or two turn to get everybody out.

Kasrkin fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Mar 30, 2017

Kasrkin
Feb 16, 2014

Nothing suspicious here.

Wheany posted:

Also I'd say that the turrets, especially when there's 4 of them, really help in the first few rounds when they almost double the number of shots taken at aliens.

Funnily Enough, the Turrets didn't do much. but that was more a case off, every single ADVENT was dead before they could reach the Cliff i sat Upon.

while i Agree that tygan has his own Charme, i really do miss DR. Vahlen

Kasrkin
Feb 16, 2014

Nothing suspicious here.

Cythereal posted:

Also, there's now shipping. If you've played Fire Emblem, pair-up mechanics from troopers being flagged as compatible and then bonding are going to be a thing.

oh, wait what? that wasn't a joke?
i mean, i read it somewhere in a synopses, but i thought it was a joke on the posters part.

Kasrkin
Feb 16, 2014

Nothing suspicious here.

Cythereal posted:

Not a joke at all, though Jake Solomon said the bonds could just as easily be soldiers becoming best friends and war buddies on the battlefield.

Or is it Sputnik posted:

Nope, there's a new achievement for getting a "level 3 bond" between 2 soldiers

i find this highly amusing. seems like a nice way of adding character to a Campaign, right now it sometimes feels a little lifeless in that front, at least for me.
make the few losses even more meaningful too. or more painful.

okay honest question, how many soldiers have you lost in your campaigns?

Kasrkin
Feb 16, 2014

Nothing suspicious here.

i bit late to respond, but this made me laugh so hard, thank you good sir.

so wo now can save the earth, while playing matchmaking on the Global level with the Resistance factions, while playing Dating sim on the Battlefield, all the while Shadow of Mordors Nemesis system leaks all throughout the game in form of the Chosen?

all right, i'm in.

Mario-com is just, wow.
mario, with a gun.

that's messed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kasrkin
Feb 16, 2014

Nothing suspicious here.

Bruceski posted:

Peach gets to attack enemies with something other than domestic tools or her fragile female emotions.

uhhhh, i.. uhm, well, good for her! (this made me laugh more than it probably should have)

okay, i read that article and watched the video, still not Sure if the world needed this kind of Xcom Clone, i certainly didn't WANT such a thing, but i might be in the minority here.

• Locked thread