Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gunder
May 22, 2003

Evolve Stage 2 is free-to-play asymmetrical co-op shooter. It's developed by Turtle Rock Studios and available on PC, PS4 and Xbox One (Open beta available on PC only for just now). It pits 4 hunters against an enormous arsehole monster. It was first released back at the start of 2015 to fairly good reviews but was soon stymied by the reaction to its overly eager DLC marketing strategy. Dwindling player populations and a public perception that could be fairly categorised as "disastrous" saw Evolve slowly fade from view a few months after it's launch. Over a year later, Turtle Rock announces that they have massively overhauled the game, and will be re-releasing it, following an open beta, as a free-to-play game.

Evolve features 4 hunter classes: Assault, Medic, Support and Trapper. The Assault's job is to deal damage to the monster and to soak up as much of the monsters attacks as they can. The Medic has to heal the team and make sure that no one dies. The Support lends tactical support to the team, either by providing extra damage or by augmenting the team members performance via movement speed boosts and other such advantages. The Trapper is responsible for tracking the monster, and controlling it's movement once caught.

The monster starts each game at Stage 1, and must hunt and consume wildlife in order to gain enough resources to evolve into a larger, scarier, more capable monster. Fighting the hunters as a Stage 1 monster can be challenging, but if the monster manages to evolve all the way to Stage 3, it is able to attack the Power Generator located in each level and win the game without needing to kill the hunters.

FAQ

How has the game changed since the launch of the original Evolve?
Quite a bit! There have been a lot of balance changes, some of which are quite consequential!
Some highlights:
  • All hunters can now dome, not just The Trapper!
  • Many class abilities have been rebalanced, some have been replaced entirely!
  • Extensive redesigns of the maps.
  • Free-to-play! You'll be able to unlock everything without paying!
You can read about all the changes in excruciating detail here.

This game had a lot of DLC!
It still does, but with the new free-to-play system, you can purchase anything you don't already have with the new in-game currency: Silver Keys. You earn them by playing the game. At present, there is no way to buy said keys with actual real money. Any hunters, skins and monsters you owned from the previous version will carry over.

Can I play on console?
Not yet! Turtle Rock benefit from a pretty quick turnaround on updates on Steam, as they don't have to submit each patch for cert like they do on console, so I'd expect the beta to be PC only for a while.

I own the original Evolve, do I get any free poo poo?
Yes! You get "Founder Status". From the patch notes:

quote:

What is a Founder?
We created the Founder Status to thank those players who supported us before Evolve Staged up.
Through the post-launch support of Evolve: Stage 2, Founders will receive special in-game items, currency, and other benefits for believing in Evolve and Turtle Rock Studios.

What do I get as a Founder?
3,000 Silver Keys, all past and future Adaptations for previously owned Hunters and Monsters, dozens of Weapon Skins, two unique, animated Founder badges, and 2 unique Founder badge foregrounds.
If you owned any Hunters, Monsters, or Skins previously, those will be carried over to Evolve: Stage 2.

Here's the launch trailer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Dammit! I thought the old thread had been archived.

• Locked thread