Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Problem description:
Short version: my graphics card will suddenly stop working (under load I guess?), Intel GPU seems fine

Longer version: Turned off PC on Thursday as usual. On Friday, while browsing the display goes into standby. PC is still on but there's no video. I hold the power button for 4 seconds to kill the PC and try to reboot, still no video.I kill the PC again and turn off the power then turn the PC on again. Still no video.
I take the DVI cable and connect it to the port on the mainboard instead and am now greeted with a boot loader error message but can continue into windows. When checking the device manager, the graphics card is not listed. I shut down the PC, remove all cables from the back and start cleaning the tower with a vacuum. Case is a BitFenix Shinobi, the power supply is at the bottom and it sucks the air from underneath into the computer. Lots of dust/lint under the case.
After putting everything back together again, the card is working again. However after like 5 minutes the display goes black for a second and I get "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" notifications. I update the driver to the newest version through the NVIDIA experience application (or whatever it's called). Still get notifications every few minutes. After a few the display goes black again. The music in the background goes into an error loop. I shut down the PC and start to work on the Laptop. A bios update doesn't help either.

On Saturday the display goes black again during a build in Android Studio. Had to leave anyway so I kill the PC and get going. On Sunday I install another driver update (like ***.39 to .69 ) but it still get a black screen. I remove the card and install the intel video drivers. Everything seems to work since then.

Attempted fixes:
BIOS update
driver update, twice
removed card which worked I guess?

Recent changes: None as far as I know

--

Operating system:
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

System specs:
Self-built
MB ASRock B85M Pro4 Intel B85
CPU Intel Core i5 4670 4x 3.40GHz
PSU 450 Watt Seasonic G-Series Modular 80+ Gold
GPU MSI 2GB D5 X GTX760 OC Twin Frozr R
2 x 4GB Corsair XMS3 (IIRC, gonna check again when I get home but I'm pretty sure)

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Googling hasn't really turned up anything. Either the PSU is broken. Or the card. Or the RAM. Or maybe I should reinstall Windows.

Personally I lean towards the PSU since it only seems to be happening during load. Maybe. I don't know. Hadn't had time to check the memory yet but I also don't think that it's the cause.

Any information that would help further?

Sereri fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jul 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
My opinion is that the card is likely dying. I would verify the system can complete at least one full pass of Memtest86+ without errors though.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Sounds reasonable, I will report back.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Ran 2 passes, no errors

Ram was actually 4x2GB, I was thinking of another PC I guess, doesn't matter.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
The only sure-fire fix for me whenever I've had that "display driver not responding error" is to roll back to a previous restore point. That has fixed my problems every time.

• Locked thread