Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That was so dumb. I can't believe they didn't even try to justify Edge living. :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
I know it would have wrecked the dumb drama and "poignant" sacrifice stuff, but when the place started crumbling and Wallpaper was all ready to be left behind I really wanted everyone to grab a bit of him and drag him to the exit the same way they did with Bacchus back on the Cardianon station.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

:j: "I never once thought of you as disloy- wait are you telling me you cheated on me you robotic bastard"

e: he dropped the name, gently caress youuuu edge maverick

megane fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 5, 2017

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It really needed MC Scythesalot to just lean over and lop wallpaper off at the wrist and then scowl at people for being soft.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Jeedy Jay posted:

EDIT: I really wish this game was about Lightspeed Kenny.

Lightspeed Kenny and his second in command have a better rapport and relationship than any of the main characters. And they're together and showing that in only 1-2 scenes in the entire game.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
But... how are you still alive?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
He prepared himself, for he is Diabolic Edge.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Bless you.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
It's finally over. I'm so glad I never have to look at or think about this game ever again.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.
Game beaten, all but four endings gotten (MeowMix, Limb, and the hidden endings for Crowe and Faize)... good job! I did really enjoy watching you bumble your way through a game I know more or less by heart at this point; it was an interesting experience, in a good way.

Looking forward to your next LP (Blue Dragon, was it?)!

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Kenny saluting Edge: "Edge Maverick, master of Space Chess. Conqueror of the black hole planet that was going to Unicron our dead planet where we all live underground because we nuked ourselves to annihilation. Friend to at least 1 of each known race from other worlds. Truly, you are The Last Hope International."

*LATE TITLE CARD HERE*

Also thanks for suffering through this game. I forgot what it was actually like until all this.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
Thanks for the LP guys, thanks for sticking with it and never giving up! Just like our dear friend Edge!

Do you think there is an alternate earth where Tri Ace can write good stories? Can I blow up this earth and move there?!

And now its time to go back...back to the LP OCEAN

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
So that's over. Huh.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Nothing ever truly ends in the infinite internet ocean.

"Faize? What are you doing here?" Edge moved a strand of hair from his eyes, " Is there something you need?"

"I-I need to speak with you." Faize stammered.

"Right now? I...I'm a bit filthy." He stated, his cheeks colored vermilion.

"Please. This is imperative."

"...Come inside the battle dome Faize. I'll lock the door." Edge said as he inputed the necessary codes to change the room to private stargazing mode, beds splaying out into more horizontal positions.

"So...what did you need to speak to me about?"

Faize flustered, words on the tip of his tongue begging to be spoken.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:
For the record, Pork Lift has been extremely busy and we haven't started recording for the next thread yet so don't expect it to go up tomorrow or anything.

That said, how have you all been liking the every other day updates? When we do start a new thread. for the update schedule, how much weight would you like to be put on avoiding gaps in the schedule vs the current updates always being from the most recent recording session?

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

It was a good schedule for me, but I'd prefer slower updates over larger gaps.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012

Sindai posted:

That was so dumb. I can't believe they didn't even try to justify Edge living. :effort:

They do, but it's only if you get Faize's ending. That flying light when Edge was falling into the void? That was Faize's little space scooter thing. They're coded to be able to seek out Eldarian biosignatures (Faize mentioned it when you first meet him) and so Faize called it at the end there to save them.

Still doesn't justify that there's no explanation given though if you didn't buddy up with Riderman.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I might be wrong, but from when I played like, a decade ago at this point, people online said it was also almost impossible to even get Faize's ending without doing a ng+. Just to have him in the party the entire game to get friend points. So they really make you work for that explanation if you don't just look it up.

Benach
Aug 15, 2013

Benach posted:

Ken Lightman said that the plan is to destroy all evidence of the SRF and that "Two of the original SRF vessels still remain."
I still don't understand what the gently caress was the deal with this. I thought it might've been foreshadowing for something, but this never came up again, so I'm forced to assume it's just nonsense.

This game sure was garbage from start to finish. Makes me feel silly for ever wanting to play it myself. Thanks for the LP.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass

Benach posted:

I still don't understand what the gently caress was the deal with this. I thought it might've been foreshadowing for something, but this never came up again, so I'm forced to assume it's just nonsense.

He's referring to the Calnus and the Aquila.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

Hrist posted:

I might be wrong, but from when I played like, a decade ago at this point, people online said it was also almost impossible to even get Faize's ending without doing a ng+. Just to have him in the party the entire game to get friend points. So they really make you work for that explanation if you don't just look it up.

There are ten specific private actions you need to see in order to get Faize's ending; we missed at least two of them. NG+ has nothing to do with it.

Crowe's ending is similar; you need four PAs (we missed two), plus you need the endings for MeowMix (didn't get hers), PeriPeri, and SamRaimi.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

wateyad posted:

For the record, Pork Lift has been extremely busy and we haven't started recording for the next thread yet so don't expect it to go up tomorrow or anything.

That said, how have you all been liking the every other day updates? When we do start a new thread. for the update schedule, how much weight would you like to be put on avoiding gaps in the schedule vs the current updates always being from the most recent recording session?

I really liked the frequent schedule. Honestly there wasn't a lot going on in this game. If you get a lot of nothing it almost feels like something.
This game was really kinda boring at some parts, so I might have dropped the LP if you had posted less often.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Sgt Thud posted:

They do, but it's only if you get Faize's ending. That flying light when Edge was falling into the void? That was Faize's little space scooter thing. They're coded to be able to seek out Eldarian biosignatures (Faize mentioned it when you first meet him) and so Faize called it at the end there to save them.

Still doesn't justify that there's no explanation given though if you didn't buddy up with Riderman.
Is there a video anywhere? I thought I found one with every character ending but it didn't have that.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

wateyad posted:

I liked the update schedule, made it feel a lot less painful when you guys were in particularly bad portions of the game. I think having a consistent schedule is more important than frequency though.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Post everything and constantly.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Melomane Mallet posted:

There are ten specific private actions you need to see in order to get Faize's ending; we missed at least two of them. NG+ has nothing to do with it.

Crowe's ending is similar; you need four PAs (we missed two), plus you need the endings for MeowMix (didn't get hers), PeriPeri, and SamRaimi.

That's weird. I was really anal about not missing any PAs listed in an faq when I played, and still didn't get his. I did get the ends for Crowe and everyone else though. :shrug:

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

wateyad posted:

I would prefer a consistent, reliable update schedule over the videos having been recently recorded. Every other day sounds fantastic to me if you guys can manage it.

Benach
Aug 15, 2013

wateyad posted:

He's referring to the Calnus and the Aquila.

I thought Crowe's ship was supposed to be a different brand, an Eldarian ship, but looking it up on ~the Star Ocean wiki~ it is apparently SRF so I guess that's it.
That plot thread was still ludicrous. It went nowhere and was of no consequence other than them having to change the name of the organization.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I like mass-recording, because it affects your psyches, it becomes a meta-game for viewers and we know with the dates listed that you've been giving it your best for a while. Regular updates are awesome over F5 sessions for weeks like with other LP groups. I dig the caravan style.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass
I mean, we're going to keep doing whole days of recording and then parceling them out because that's the only practical way for us to get anything done. I'm just trying to figure out whether to post the videos at a rate of one every two, three or four days. I'm leaning towards three right now. This thread started at every four, to be safe, moved to three with episode 18 when I felt that we were getting enough recording done for that to be safe and finally moved to every other day once we'd finished the game with episode 71.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for suffering through this games for us.

So what is the postgame like, and how broken is Synthesis? I attempted to google a bit about Synthesis, and discovered that the first hit on google for "so4 crafting system" is an article entitled "Star Ocean 5's combat is the worst battle system I've ever played ...".

Chuu fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 6, 2017

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Benach posted:

This game sure was garbage from start to finish. Makes me feel silly for ever wanting to play it myself. Thanks for the LP.
Like about 80% of this game, that whole "we're going rogue" plot thread was immediately solved when the giant angry planet thing showed up in the solar system.

That whole 'hey, it's the dead scientist from doomed Nazi Earth' thing was also unnecessary unless that comes up in another one of these games or something.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It's hard to pick one dumb thing to hate the most out of all of this, but the idea that the Eldarians, having lost their technologically advanced homeworld, deciding to just pack it in and live on Lemuris instead of living with their roughly at-parity allies on Earth is maybe it?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Well to be fair, Edge would probably whine about bootstraps if they decided to go there. He'd probably see it as still piggybacking on Eldar. He is literally Cave Johnson, obsessed with doing all his science from scratch because he doesn't understand that science is always borrowing from existing methodologies.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

That's not a thing to be fair about, that's a problem! You can't apply the PD to species that have already been talking and gone to space!!!

e: on FF13 vs S04, at least this awful piece of garbage has funny cutscenes

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 06:37 on May 6, 2017

Pork Lift
Oct 9, 2007

Winner of the 2012
:dong: Highway Traffic :dong:
Prediction Razzies

To weigh in, FFXIII was easy to struggle through. Like, it wasn't very fun and was at some points infuriating, but you just followed the line until the credits. This game I kept expecting wateyad to put the controller down and close the thread, and we even floated the idea of doing so at certain points (guess which!)

As he said, we haven't started the next thing JUST yet. I've had a weird amount of irons in the fire and just got a new job so I've not been very helpful in that regard. We'll be back soon though! I crave attention far too much to stop!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's a weird thought to imagine you with a grown-up job, it doesn't fit your persona. It's like seeing your teacher at the grocery store and realising that she doesn't live at the school like you thought :P

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
hahaha wow this loving game. I just remain stunned at the atrocious design and writing decisions. I would never play it or watch a sincere LP of it. but your mixed fascination and irritation with the enduring badness of it made things somehow magical. that and the dense layer of running jokes.

I'm looking forward to whatever you're doing next. Blue Dragon? no idea what the deal with that is, but I have to imagine it's better than this. Everything is. :stare:

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
I'm not sure I even want to watch the final video. I feel like I've gotten all the context I need from what people have commented on so far, and I'd rather not watch 20+ minutes of something that's just going to upset me with how terrible it is. Thanks for LPing this horrible trash fire game, Porklift and Wateyad! I hope you guys LP fun, enjoyable games more often!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I swear there was no reason for MeowMix to even be in this game, out of all the characters. Granted Faize didn't really need to be in it either except so they could make him the final boss.

• Locked thread