Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raere
Dec 13, 2007

Does anyone use LTFS? Being able to back up to tapes without dropping $1.5k for software sounds pretty nice. But it doesn't look like it supports libraries?

If you haven't used LTFS please talk about tapes in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

backup to disk like a non-crazy person

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

b-b-but i need archives that last on the shelf for 20 years

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

i use tape archive files but never put them on tape op

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

hundreds of tb to offsite

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

akadajet posted:

i use tape archive files but never put them on tape op

oooh look at this dude thinking he special

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I have an S-100 card that backs up dozens or hundreds of megabytes to a VHS tape with up to 16x block redundancy

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
bands are selling cassettes again. technology is cyclical.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Raere posted:

Does anyone use LTFS? Being able to back up to tapes without dropping $1.5k for software sounds pretty nice. But it doesn't look like it supports libraries?

If you haven't used LTFS please talk about tapes in general.

IT'S BACKUP

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Raere posted:

hundreds of tb to offsite

yeah we do that in appassure with hourly snapshots, replication, and a 65% dedupe/compress rate. beats the poo poo out of tape and you only have to take a single full backup the first time you add something. tape is poo poo and it will rot on the shelf and you never know if its good when you need it. a disk array is doing constant verification of the data

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
that tape would make a p. good vaporwave cover art

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

yeah op, i got a long term fapping solution. its ur mom. haha

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Dongslayer. posted:

bands are selling cassettes again. technology is cyclical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wwaj4HvhyU

vinyl is old and busted, cassettes are the new hotness

meanwhile, everyone who is old enough to have HAD to use cassettes is like "thats nice dear"

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

yeah we do that in appassure with hourly snapshots, replication, and a 65% dedupe/compress rate. beats the poo poo out of tape and you only have to take a single full backup the first time you add something. tape is poo poo and it will rot on the shelf and you never know if its good when you need it. a disk array is doing constant verification of the data

Your company is going to regret only doing disk backups when you go crazy and are able to purge all their data and backups in hours. (or you get some really evil hacker inside your network, although the first scenario is more likely)

Tape is good as a last ditch data insurance, since you usually have dozens of redundant copies and they are vaulted offsite in a mountain somewhere and someone has to physically degauss each one or overwrite them which takes hours per tape.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

error1 posted:

Your company is going to regret only doing disk backups when you go crazy and are able to purge all their data and backups in hours. (or you get some really evil hacker inside your network, although the first scenario is more likely)

Tape is good as a last ditch data insurance, since you usually have dozens of redundant copies and they are vaulted offsite in a mountain somewhere and someone has to physically degauss each one or overwrite them which takes hours per tape.

the hell kind of data are ppl storing holy gently caress

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
mulder and scully, after days of tribulation and follwiing clues finally sneak into the secret vault deep in the adirondacks. after keying in the secret code and dropping a dollop of the smoking man's blood on the authorizaion panel, the door creeks open. Look at this, scully, mulder furtively murmurs as he slides open a filing drawer "these look like computer backup tapes" scully unfolds the portatable briefcase computer and with a whizz and a bleep the machine flickers to live. she inserts the tape carefully. fox strokes his chin and has a flashback of when his sister was kidnapped, scully adjusts her glasses under the green glow of the blinking terminal. after a tense moment, data starts flying across the 250x250 terminal monitor. "fox... this is incredible. it's a record of every Facebook Like our brand and sister companies received in 2014. what on earth could They be doing with this data? what if it got into the wrong hands?" a thud is heard down the hall. "we;ve got to the get out of here scully. the archivist is coming!"

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

someone repost the OPM backup archive plan from the other thread tia

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

found it

Bhodi posted:

the second best way is to do what OPM does - weekly full backups of every system onto tape and then put into a numbered box which gets shipped offsite into a literal salt mine (the same one iron mountain stores their poo poo in). No index, no reference information other than a single ID of the box and the date it was shipped offsite. Even the server names themselves are stored on an index tape within the box.

technically, everything is archived but good luck trying to find anything unless you know the exact server the data you need was on and the exact date and from there can work backwards to figure out which box number the tapes are probably in. also, requests are for boxes and not individual tapes and there's no hard link between a particular application or it's data and servers or server names so you have to unravel 3+ layers of poo poo before you can even figure out what to request, and then you just get a raw hard disk / RMAN dump and a shrug

it's a thing of beauty

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
it's me, I'm the guy who underestimated the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway, ask me anything

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

error1 posted:

there's something innately comforting about the idea of doing WORM LTO backups

your data will only be destroyed by entropy, but not by the hand of man

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

qntm posted:

it's me, I'm the guy who underestimated the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway, ask me anything

how did u find yourself in this situation

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

error1 posted:

there's a monthly dump to S3 in addition to the two live replication sites so, no.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Is it set up with retention policies on AWS or can you delete all the buckets and close the account when you decide you hate your boss?

I guess if the guy handling the AWS stuff isn't the same guy that handles everything else backup-related it should be OK

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

amazon retains snapshots on the bucket (or so they claim) outside our control so there would have to be some spectacular levels of spite and social engineering to completely gently caress everything, on about the same level of risk as someone going to a remote tape site and torching them

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

error1 posted:

Is it set up with retention policies on AWS or can you delete all the buckets and close the account when you decide you hate your boss?

I guess if the guy handling the AWS stuff isn't the same guy that handles everything else backup-related it should be OK

yeah, you can't expect those two people to conspire together or anything

no seriously they're it they don't have the necessary social skills for that

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i just use crashplan op

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

qntm posted:

What car has the fastest bandwidth? Like is it a bugatti veyron with the passenger seat full of tapes or maybe just a plain old van because of the much bigger capacity?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

What car has the fastest bandwidth? Like is it a bugatti veyron with the passenger seat full of tapes or maybe just a plain old van because of the much bigger capacity?

its a harrier jet op

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

all my bits are delivered by jet so the ping times are terrible but the amount of them is awesome

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I'll be IP over pigeon I guess

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Agile Vector posted:

its a harrier jet op

That's not a car!!!

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

probably whatever you can cram the most microSD cards in

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mishaq posted:

b-b-but i need archives that last on the shelf for 20 years

then don't use tapes

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Smythe posted:

mulder and scully, after days of tribulation and follwiing clues finally sneak into the secret vault deep in the adirondacks. after keying in the secret code and dropping a dollop of the smoking man's blood on the authorizaion panel, the door creeks open. Look at this, scully, mulder furtively murmurs as he slides open a filing drawer "these look like computer backup tapes" scully unfolds the portatable briefcase computer and with a whizz and a bleep the machine flickers to live. she inserts the tape carefully. fox strokes his chin and has a flashback of when his sister was kidnapped, scully adjusts her glasses under the green glow of the blinking terminal. after a tense moment, data starts flying across the 250x250 terminal monitor. "fox... this is incredible. it's a record of every Facebook Like our brand and sister companies received in 2014. what on earth could They be doing with this data? what if it got into the wrong hands?" a thud is heard down the hall. "we;ve got to the get out of here scully. the archivist is coming!"

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert
Love Too loving poo poo

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

I know this is rhetorical but

a veyron is only 3 or 4 times faster than a regular car
a transport truck has like 500 times the capacity of a veyron

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

i'm thinkin' a buick roadmaster wagon. it's got a load of capacity but it's also got the big LT1 engine and is somewhat more aerodynamic than a loving custom van, so you might get it up to 160

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The answer, like everything else, is a tractor-trailer

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

infrastructure has no network connectivity. how do you do offsite backups without internet?
how much is backup exec?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Captain Foo posted:

The answer, like everything else, is a train

• Locked thread