Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

It's kinda like that.

[url='https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFkDxVLW2NU']Launch trailer[/url]

Furi is a recently released arcade-y action shmup by some noname company with character design by Takashi Okazaki of Afro Samurai fame and music from a variety of artists, such as Carpenter Brut and Scattle.

Combat is straightforward, without fancy combos or upgrades. You've got a dash, gun, and sword with fast and charged attacks for both weapons.

The game is 100% boss fights broken up by brief not-quite-cutscenes. The fights are typically divided into two basic phases. In the first, you primarily use your gun to damage the boss while avoiding/destroying projectiles, going in for quick damaging slashes, and parrying their melee attacks to regenerate health.

After you've damaged their health at range, you're locked into short range mode where you need to take out their life bar for good. Afterwards, you are healed to full and can start on the next life bar, of which every boss has several.

Your own additional life bars are extra lives. If one is depleted, the bosses' current life bar is fully restored (but not any fully drained ones).

PC users can get it here but anyone with a PS4 and PS+ can get it for free. Don't take that as a sign it's shovelware though, the game is really fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Game owns. Music is real good too.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Super glad I got this game on PS+ cuz I wouldn't have gotten it otherwise and this game is a blast. I think I prefer the sword mechanics to the shmup mechanics though.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
One mechanic I haven't been able to figure out is when you're in close combat mode and move the right stick to fire, you gain a slight orange glow and strike a pose. What does that do, if anything?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Anatharon posted:

One mechanic I haven't been able to figure out is when you're in close combat mode and move the right stick to fire, you gain a slight orange glow and strike a pose. What does that do, if anything?

Your next attack will do a lot more damage when your sword is glowing, but if you get hit you lose the buff. Use it when you get a moment to breathe but don't actually have the opportunity to attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The walking interludes are a bore but I was still pretty impressed with some of the story bits the game implies through its boss fights. Like how the boss that the Voice "kills" was actually the Voice himself, and he was just putting on a big show of throwing his own fight to the Stranger. Or how after you make your way through the Burst and the Edge, the nastiest bullet-hell boss (except for the optional one) and melee boss respectively, the Beat is just an idealistic little girl in a silly outfit who can barely fight and gets callously butchered like all the rest. It really makes the player's victory feel hollow and motivates them to fight the Star just so that gauntlet accomplishes something meaningful.

• Locked thread