Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
autoaim.cfg
Aug 6, 2005
:qq: WHINY SHITHEAD :qq:
*drops mic*

Go! It's like Chess, only it's really simple and horribly difficult at the same time. Unlike Chess there's just the one game piece, black or white and the placement rules for the pieces are very simple; you can put a piece on any available spot on the board. There ya go! However, the simplicity of the game is grossly misleading, because it pretty much takes a lifetime to master playing Go. They train AI machines to play Go, for good reason! The basic premise of the game is to surround your opponents pieces, thereby capturing them and removing them from the board. The players take turns putting one of their pieces on the board, no moving pieces around, just placing them down on the table, one by one. If a piece or a group of pieces get surrounded in all directions by the opponent's pieces, they're won and removed from the board. The game continues until a player resigns or there are no more moves to be made. Then the player with the most captured pieces and the most controlled spaces on the game board wins.

While Chess is predominant in the Western world, Go is all the rage in Asia. In ancient China, for example, it was considered a real classy high brow game for the nobs and elite.
This is a Go game board from a Chinese grave about 600 A.D.

Modern Go boards look pretty much like this, with a standard 19 x 19 grid you place the pieces on. Oh, I should probably mention that you place the pieces on the intersections of the lines and not in the squares. That should probably get pointed out.

But if you would like to try some Go for yourself you really should try your hand at some online games first or just get one of the simpler cheapo kits like this one. You'll thank me later.

I don't know about you, but I think this game looks stylish and cool as gently caress. But like I said, try to play for a couple of weeks before you start buying boards and poo poo, because it's really a right bitch to master. It was a brutal awakening to realize that I'm just too loving stupid in the ol' noggin to play this game at any kind of decent level. But if you're interested you should probably start by reading up on the Wikipedia entry for Go and the American Go Association website, which should bring you up to speed in no time at all.

Well, that's it, I guess... now you can Go play! See what I did there? I'm so fuckin' sharp I'll cut myself one of these days

Oh, I almost forgot something...

Here's a Slowpoke!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Suck my dick OP.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
go suck my drat balls op

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
'Go' gently caress yourself

Captain Splashback
Jan 1, 2007

BY APPOINTMENT TO HER MAJESTY
QUEEN ELIZABETH II
SPLASHBACK HOLDINGS LTD
PUCKINS AND PRINTERS PURVEYORS

autoaim.cfg posted:

See what I did there? I'm so fuckin' sharp I'll cut myself one of these days

I wish you luck on your future endeavours

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Clikk! Clack clack WOOOOOSH CLACK! :smug:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
this is bait for a bunch of gbs to 'start playing go' and allow two autistic go dorks to rank up some more because they ran out of cannon fodder on their weird flash go site

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
I'm too dumb to play go. So uh Why the gently caress should I care about your stupid little "Go thread"? I hope your next match, you end up having a lovely, awful time!

The General
Mar 4, 2007

In my prime I was 14k. Now I'm probably like 17k. I will never be a good player :smith:

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

The General posted:

In my prime I was 14k. Now I'm probably like 17k. I will never be a good player :smith:

U need a Go master ghost to help you improve. OBVIOUSLY. And a rich go kid rival.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

these threads are getting out of hand, it is time for us to rise up against the shitposters

autoaim.cfg
Aug 6, 2005
*drops mic*

Jonny 290 posted:

this is bait for a bunch of gbs to 'start playing go' and allow two autistic go dorks to rank up some more because they ran out of cannon fodder on their weird flash go site

Speaking of..... if you want to give a quick whirl you could try the Cosumi browser Go and see how you hold up. It's decent enough.

It's got board sizes ranging from 5x5 to a full 19x19 game. I suggest you try the 5x5 game first.

Just don't cry when you're getting your poo poo pounded up your intestines by a lovely flash game.

Oh... and here's a Lickitung!

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
go is great

i should play more, i'm really awful at it

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I have a nice set with yunzi stones. It's cool cause the black ones are actually green when you hold them up to light.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
Here's a cool movie about Go and fighting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcR9fJh0LCY

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hey op, it is probably really difficult to shove a full-sized solid go board up your rear end, but i believe in you. well, i believe in your cavernous rectum at least.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Al Cowens posted:

Here's a cool movie about Go and fighting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcR9fJh0LCY

gently caress you. Now my life will not be complete until I see this fuckin movie. Thanks rear end in a top hat.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I hope everyone in this thread has a good time

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Professor Shark posted:

I hope everyone in this thread has a good time

It's in relation to Go tho. I'm pretty sure good times are disallowed. Go is serious loving business. It's not fun or good. That was never the intention. There is only room for asskicking and utter humiliation.

That strange guy
Dec 14, 2014

It's not strange if we never mention it again.
“EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM MY PIECES ONTO THE BOARD. ITS GO TIME AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE GHOSTS OF PAST GO MASTERS. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME BLACK PIECES OR EVEN WHEN I PLAY WHITE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY PLAYED THE GALAXY’S MOST DANGEROUS GO TOURNAMENT. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE MOVES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNING. THEN I LIFT”

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
way to rip of othello

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

That strange guy posted:

“EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM MY PIECES ONTO THE BOARD. ITS GO TIME AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE GHOSTS OF PAST GO MASTERS. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME BLACK PIECES OR EVEN WHEN I PLAY WHITE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY PLAYED THE GALAXY’S MOST DANGEROUS GO TOURNAMENT. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE MOVES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNING. THEN I LIFT”

:agreed:

autoaim.cfg
Aug 6, 2005
*drops mic*

Serious Frolicking posted:

hey op, it is probably really difficult to shove a full-sized solid go board up your rear end, but i believe in you. well, i believe in your cavernous rectum at least.

I really can not thank you for your stellar endorsement enough. Let me tell you a true story: I should probably have posted this one in the "Can You Hear Your Neighbors Through The Walls" thread but hey oh vey, lemme tell ya right here! Anyhoo, I had this ex of mine, we dated for about a year, and HOOOOOBOY she was a screamer! I live in the middle of an apartment building and while the insulation is probably quite ok, there is something up with the VENTS. You can hear everything through the vents. I've got a man in his late 50's with his wife above me and I don't think it's the concrete but the loving VENTS that are the culprit here, I can hear every single argument they have... and they have a LOT if them. And it's always her, bitching about someting and it's always him goimg "*m sorry, I should be a bettter husband". Jesus Christ Man, divorce that crone already! But I'm tooo loving nice to go say that, so I'll get cukked staying up at nights listening to their fights. I'll just post poo poo threads about Pokemon here instead.

Oh.......

Here's an Electrode

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I tried playing go once but I was too dumb

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

autoaim.cfg posted:

I really can not thank you for your stellar endorsement enough. Let me tell you a true story: I should probably have posted this one in the "Can You Hear Your Neighbors Through The Walls" thread but hey oh vey, lemme tell ya right here! Anyhoo, I had this ex of mine, we dated for about a year, and HOOOOOBOY she was a screamer! I live in the middle of an apartment building and while the insulation is probably quite ok, there is something up with the VENTS. You can hear everything through the vents. I've got a man in his late 50's with his wife above me and I don't think it's the concrete but the loving VENTS that are the culprit here, I can hear every single argument they have... and they have a LOT if them. And it's always her, bitching about someting and it's always him goimg "*m sorry, I should be a bettter husband". Jesus Christ Man, divorce that crone already! But I'm tooo loving nice to go say that, so I'll get cukked staying up at nights listening to their fights. I'll just post poo poo threads about Pokemon here instead.

Oh.......

Here's an Electrode

get help dude

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I tried playing go once but I was too dumb

same. I thought it looked like a super cool and sophisticated game it's actually hard and I ended up looking real dumb

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Nathilus posted:

U need a Go master ghost to help you improve. OBVIOUSLY. And a rich go kid rival.

Shoot, training in the mountains with a drunken hobo couldn't hurt could it?

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

OP can you post your .cfg file for Go??

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

oh dope posted:

same. I thought it looked like a super cool and sophisticated game it's actually hard and I ended up looking real dumb

Yeah it was one of those things where I just gave up and accepted the fact I will never get it.

I prefer backgammon anyways.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I prefer backgammon anyways.

Yes. Exactly.

Nothing against go and I will surely give it a real shot one day. I do love minimal shits.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
How is the DLC?

autoaim.cfg
Aug 6, 2005
*drops mic*

jackyl posted:

get help dude

I did.

My €100 a pop shrink eventually agreed with me that I was, in fact, quite sane and that it would serve no further purpose for me to continue visiting her, merely to please my "now ex-wife" in the futile hope of reconciliation. She was actually a good shrink. Very down-to-earth and focused on what mattered in my very messy divorce. 5/5. Can recommend.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

tell me a story about Go forum drama

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Domino, bitch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfMINOAfock

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
this is teh game people put in movies to make the people playing seem wise or cool

fycuk go >: )

rio
Mar 20, 2008

It's fun to smoke weed and play go, or just play it too. Do whatever.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

I'd like to see who cleans that all up

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

That strange guy posted:

THEN I LIFT”

that's apocryphal and not part of the original riddick quote :supaburn:

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012