Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Groovelord Neato posted:

dune is not a well written book.

You just walked with rhythm because you’ve certainly disturbed all the nerds.

Fuckin Shai Hulud. You absolute dunce. You Harkonnen swine.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

get that OUT of my face posted:

I'm starting to think that Biden voters aren't worth the time. Some of them are just doing it out of name recognition, but a lot of them support him- albeit not enthusiastically- because they lack imagination that things can be any better. That's why I think a lot of Boomer liberals support him. Their entire lives have had people saying that a better world isn't possible, and it's been a long lurch to the right up to this point.

Polls don't mean much in the grand scheme of things, voter enthusiasm does, but old people have always showed up to vote regardless. That's why I have no clue who's gonna come out on top. What I will say is that Liz Warren is probably harming Biden more than Bernie, as her base consists of better-educated white liberals that would have otherwise flocked to a more establishment candidate.

Have a few interesting anecdotes/data points that support your thesis:

1. My blue state Republican friends are now solid Bernie supporters after being radicalized against all billionaires by Epstein. They hated Hillary and voted 3rd party in 2016.
2. My libertarian parent (voted for GWB, did not vote for Trump) is now a Warren supporter. Says that it’s obvious that Biden is losing his mind and is big on “electability” - no love for Warren or her policies but seeing her as the best hope to defeat Trump.
3. I’ve met one passionate Buttigeig supporter who was exactly as Amber described - wealthy liberal heterosexual white woman from a big city that had her bachelorette party at a gay bar.
4. People always vaguely gesture to Harris as the serious establishment candidate, especially my DC liberal friend, but have provided no reasons, policies, or enthusiasm other than a sense of triangulation towards a political center.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

Chexoid posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1178821592421404678

What the gently caress is this video. Is Donald Trump about to kill himself.

We’re MAGAing away
I don’t know what
To say I’ll say it anyway
Today’s another day for Fox News
Lyin’ Dems
Many are saying it, okay?

Trump on me
Trump me on
I’ll be gone
In a year or twooooooo

So needless to say
I’m the President
But I’m sundowning all day
Slowly tweeting my life away
Say after me
No C or O, lock up crooked Hillary

Trump on me
Trump me on
Piss on me
Piss tape is reallllllllllllllllllllllllll

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

Serf posted:

from a leftist perspective there are basically two options: abandon the outlying areas where significant expenditures of energy are needed to maintain bygone lifestyles and let the people living there struggle through it or move to the cities, or move people to the cities with the threat of force

Wouldn’t a Green New Deal require large amounts of renewable infrastructure to be installed in all outlying areas? This would give rural folks jobs for the next 20-50 years if we can pull off a TVA style program.

Another solution is to massively subsidize sustainable farming and to convert large swathes of
Monoculture to labor intensive farming. Not everyone wants to weed and pick tomatoes and shovel manure all day, but enough people will. We can’t afford to keep dumping a million tons of nitrogen and phosphates and roundup into the ground just to grow an infinite supply of corn.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

Serf posted:

the majority of people living in rural areas are not engaged in agricultural production, which has largely been taken over by massive agricorps who can produce huge amounts of food with very little human labor. one of the reasons rural areas are so depressed is that the farming jobs have disappeared, and one person in a gps-directed tractor/combine can do the work of hundreds. i say we just nationalize the agricorps while we're out here evacuating people who have watched their livelihoods disappear over the course of the past century

But nationalizing that just means the government now owns a really unsustainable and carbon heavy ag industry. Ok so Utah owns all the factory cattle farms and Iowa now owns a million acres of corn and a billion tons of roundup and a thousand diesel combines.

I’m not pushing for total Luddism, but ag has to return to a more labor intensive model and people need to stay in rural areas.

Not all human beings are mentally capable of living in cities without a lot of anxiety or issues anyway.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

Serf posted:

there's no way that its more energy efficient to send thousands of people into the rural areas and provide them with an acceptable standard of living than it is to nationalize the current model and just shift it over to green power sources as best you can in the short term so as to not disrupt food supplies while aiming for total decarbonization. it doesn't take that many people to run things out here, trust me i know firsthand

appeals to human nature are stupid, but the inverse of your statement is just as "true"

I know first hand too, I also lived in the boonies prior to moving to a big city and then to a small town. I raised livestock and crops on a very small scale. I have relatives that do industrial scale farming. I’m no expert but I understand. If you’re talking about short term solutions then I absolutely agree, but you made it sound like a long term “exclusion zone” surrounding every single major urban center. Complete with actual fallout style scavengers looting Goatfuck, TX for copper and 2x4s.

Of course the inverse is true, I agree that people should be able to live in cities if they prefer that lifestyle. Appealing to human nature is not stupid - we must build a society that reflects human sensibilities and not an authoritarian anti-carbon police state. All politics is an appeal to human nature, and telling half the country that they are being evacuated seems like it will be a hard sell.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

Serf posted:

i mean nobody said it would be easy, but we are talking about a drastic reorganization of society. hell, in the episode they discuss why we should probably be cutting back on eating meat, thereby reducing the use of antibiotics and pig poo poo lagoons. and yeah, agriculture itself has massive environmental impacts and long-term we should be looking at urban farming and food production that doesn't rely on utilizing vast tracts of land that could be put to use sucking carbon out of the air with trees

assuming that we survive the climate apocalypse, then sure, we can explore ways that people can return to the pastoral idyll of bygone times. but for the moment, there's no reason to keep people living out here with nothing to do but overdose on opiates or drive long distances to work in jobs that have no relationship to nature

half the country does not live in these places. your argument is basically the "impeach this" map that has been getting made fun of for weeks now

Yeah I looked it up and it’s only 1/5th, so 60 million.

We gotta give em the jobs that have relation to nature.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

Slanderer posted:

No, no they wouldn't. You have no concept of how much manual farming sucks, and how much cheap labor it requires. Industrialized farming freed up a huge portion of the labor force to work elsewhere, and trying to reverse that would gently caress us.

But I did manual farming, and did it as cheap labor for $5/hour. I do have a concept. Maybe I’m having a hard time scaling it up to the xx million bushels of corn/wheat and xx million chicken hogs, but the scale of underutilized human labor is also pretty vast.

If we have 6 million unemployed people, and 20 million underemployed people, and if we accept 20 million climate refugees, that’s a lot of labor. Let’s give them a jobs guarantee. Even if only a fraction of them care to shovel poo poo and pick weeds, that’s a huge number of people. Pay them $15/hr and give them health insurance. Even the cashiers at Walmart and Dominos pizza guys and other service industry hell jobs may be eager to get out into the sunlight and do work that feels productive. It’s hard and sweaty, but it doesn’t have to be >40 hours week and it’s better than getting bitched at about making a McFlurry wrong for $7.00/hr and no benefits.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

sexpig by night posted:

I always love when federal job plans always just boil down to 'yea if you want basic dignity and the ability to feed your family you have to do one of the two backbreaking physical labor jobs we'll make for you'

Also create the PWA arts program and create artist/muralist/playwright jobs too. I’m not trying to force anyone into taking farmer jobs, I just understand that millions of migrant workers already do them for $1/hr and I think it should be more legitimized and less stigmatized.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

Slanderer posted:

If you look back to like 1800, between 30-60% of the labor force might be working agriculture, compared with something like 1-3% today (in western nations). On top of that, industrialized agriculture (combined with new breeding practices) has greatly increased productivity---if you remove all of that, you'll need even more people and land to get the same output. If you actually wanted to do anyway with mechanization and industrialization, a huge fraction of the population would be forced to work the fields and food prices would skyrocket, worsening issues of food insecurity even within our borders.

The thing you gotta understand is that reducing agricultural labor was a huge deal--it's why there were suddenly many more people available to work in new industries. We recognize that the industrial revolution helped start a chain of events that hosed up the earth, but also that it resulted in the last 200 years of progress and a vast reduction in human misery. Agriculture needs to be made sustainable, but that does not mean we try to undo industrialization.

Yeah you’re right - I’m not advocating for full deindustrialization. I’m curious where the equilibrium point is between 1-3%(automated racism monoculture) and 30-60% (landed gentry/serfs).

Does industrial sustainability look like 5-10% of the population now produces food? Do food prices double? Maybe urban farming / community gardens relieve some of this pressure.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

Guildencrantz posted:

Chapo lore question: has it ever been explained why Felix is so obsessed with extended family relations? Like, the frequency with which he brings up uncles, nephews, cousins, in-laws etc in unrelated contexts is remarkable

It fits into his larger “dumb lying guy” cinematic universe. I’m not sure if you’ve spent a lot of time with dumb lying guys or not, but they always have some kind of weird relation with some weirdo who’s done something improbable. Felix is trying to play off this stereotype.

I have a cousin who was always telling me weird stories (with absolutely zero prompting) about how his balls almost died, how he drank a fifth of vodka and was fine, how he discovered a ghost, how his girlfriend made fun of his disfigured genitalia, etc...

The punchline is that when I investigated how we were actually related, with the base assumption that he was a step cousin in law, is that there was actually zero relation and everyone called him a brother/cousin/nephew just to avoid explaining how they knew this guy.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

Have the Chapo boys streamed Disco Elysium yet? Or talked about the voice acting or collaboration with ZAUM?

I can’t believe they have a gaming channel and appear in a video game and continue to stream Fortnite. Felix finally has a chance to be a big boy video game connoisseur and is still headshotting children for a living.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

Doublepost

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

In what world is being a millionaire for being third mic on a podcast not already a step up from being the next hbomberguy or whatever

Well clearly Felix prioritizes his 200 viewer stream over his 200,00,000 listener podcast (no idea on numbers) so he may as well do a good job with it and stop making it suck rear end.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

The Unnamed One posted:

I thought This is the Police was already that, but I played it for like, an hour

I played it for way longer but the gameplay never changes. Eventually you collect enough bribes to get shot and get a sports car. I got really bored even though I wanted to buy all the records.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

SlimGoodbody posted:

All the best Chinese and Thai food restaurants I've ever been to were family style, but family style American is usually code for "hog slop trough"

If you go to an Asian restaurant with a group of people and each of you orders your own individual sweet and sour fried Szechuan General Tsos and refuses to share family style then that is the whitest thing you can do at that time.

Other than strictly order beef Satays and chicken wings for your entree like me and my siblings did when were 10.

You guys are mixing up 3 genres of restaurant:
1. Communal seating
2. Family style servings
3. Family themed restaurants

1. Benihanas, beer halls, hipster farm to table. You pretend not to eavesdrop on the couple sitting so close to you that you’re touching. You think you will finally be more spontaneous and social and make friends but really it will be you and your friend quietly talking in the middle of a group of 8 that know each other.
2. Asian restaurants, buco di beppo, literally any restaurant that serves food if you go “hey you guys just wanna share like 5 entrees and 5 apps” and everybody agrees
3. Cracker Barrel, cheddars, bob evans - the marketing is all about taking your grandpa and stepkids to these restaurants after church. All entrees are $8 and you are all obese midwesterners so nobody shares entrees

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

Amber has embraced the dialectic and derives her immense power from a yin and yang style of takes. For every “good” take she must also have a “bad and spicy” take to balance it. Or maybe she is just a contrarian and half of things in the world are bad and half are good.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

So what’s more likely -
Warren is lying about Sanders statements to her regarding if a woman can become president.

Bernie Sanders said in 2018 that a woman can’t be president, and is both sexist and a moron (considering that Clinton basically won in 2016 minus some very important details).

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Ann Leckie is the only person who's written Sci-fi that wasn't absolute trash in the past decade.

Same but specifically the Lancre Witches.

What about Sam Vimes and the Battle of Cable Street? I didn’t even realize that was a real anti-fash event until recently.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

thotsky posted:

I mean, if any sympathetic portrayal of law enforcement is pro-fash then the whole guards series qualifies.

One can read anything into anything if one wants to.

The guards series explicitly champions disarming the police and community based policing. They recruit police officers from all of the under represented minorities.

Vimes starts out as an alcoholic cynic black pilled by the system and ends in a position of hope.

In Nights Watch he joins an anarcho-communist uprising.

In Jingo! he disbands the police force instead of allowing it to be militarized.

The constant themes of racism against trolls, dwarves, undead, and the excesses of the noble class feature prominently throughout the series. Vimes becomes a famous class traitor as he is elevated into nobility but continues to act like a normal policeman, another central conflict in the later books.

Look I’m not saying that the low brow satire (the Weird Al of fantasy) of Pratchett is revolutionary reading, but to call it fash is very silly.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

Uranium posted:

its time to drink precisely one cup of sapho juice and browse the forums

I must not post.
Posts are the mind-killer.
Posts are the little-death that brings total jokerfication.
I will face the posts.
I will permit them to pass over me and through me.
And when they have gone past I will turn the inner eye to see their path.
Where the post has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

well why not posted:

I thought the subreddit was pretty OK if you treat it in the way reddit is best used - scroll it on a mobile app, do not read any post longer than a paragraph, invest absolutely nothing in it. It was occasionally, rarely, funny which, for the site, ringing endorsement. It in no way matched the tone of the podcast and was largely just a big lefty shitpost station, which reddit definitely could use.

They were also incredibly supportive of trans posters which I think deserves credit.

It was dumb as poo poo tho, half the time it was "gulag those who disagree, STALIN FOREVER" the other half of the time it was "uwu my feels were hurt when x didn't include my exact ID". The struggle sessions were embarrassing for everyone. The podcast hosts were correct to treat it with disdain.

So what I'm saying is it was a land of contrasts and we should actually klnda support a lefty shitpost station on reddit or else it'll be a full tilt nazi site in a few years, and like it or not, a lot of kids go on there to get their opinions. It is still very funny to see right wing idiots pearl clutch about the subreddit like it was ever half as toxic as most gaming subs.

Agreed.

It was an interesting tumor growing on the cancerous mass of reddit, and if it can spread leftist memes and shitposts into the 30 year old white male IT janitor hive mind, well, that’s preferable to pepes.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

prefect posted:

I've never actually seen a pog in person. Not even one with Alf on it.

It’s not 90s pog, it’s 2010s twitch pog. Short for “play of the game”. Streamers would do something cool and yell “POG”. This turned into poggers/pogchamp.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

I was six or seven when Starship Troopers was released in theaters and for some reason I was convinced it was going to be the greatest movie of all time. I’m not sure where I would have seen previews for it, if it ran commercials on Nickelodeon or how I got so into it.

I had a little Johnny Rico action figure with his huge chunky battle rifle. My personality at this point was probably very “fancy lad” as all I had done since my parents split up was read books and play video games. A lot of that historic fiction and young adult fiction tends to glorify war and my fascination with a USAF Thunderbirds VHS made me want to join the Air Force and fly fighter jets.

Then I saw Starship Troopers. My mom covered my eyes in the shower scenes, which were novel for me but I don’t think I’d even sniffed puberty yet. We made it through the gruesome basic training where a guys head explodes from friendly fire and I started to feel sick. It’s still hilarious and very 90’s that my mom made sure to cover my eyes for the titties but let me watch all of the violence until I couldn’t stomach it.

Then the first horrifying bug attack, where our heroes are massively outgunned and are impaled. The space force is wildly naive and gets horribly blown up. Then I remember getting to the planetary assault and seeing the fire bug gore and limbs melting and I couldn’t make it any further. Time to cry and/or throw up. I started causing a scene and made my mom take me out of the theater. That’s the only movie I’ve ever walked out of, and it was a long and embarrassing walk out of the theater past every single person.

To this day the feelings of shame, cowardice, fear, and sexual curiosity are all still vivid and I think I owe that movie credit for showing a kid how gross and stupid and horrifyingly biological warfare is. Chapo mentioned how joyless and non heroic the action scenes are, how erotic yet sterile the shower scene is, and I could never explain it that way as a kid but it definitely hosed me up. Probably irresponsible of my parents to bring little kids to that movie, but oh well.

Great episode, great movie, I’m doing my part.

space uncle fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jul 15, 2020

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

Adam is the straight man and his shtick is saying obvious and banal things and being abused for it. His pointless stories with hyped up terrible punch lines are just backgrounds for Stav and Nick to riff over.

He is very funny, but the Cumtown Adam is definitely a bit.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

i say swears online posted:

lyme and chronic lyme are two totally different and unrelated things

Yeah I got really confused because my cousin got Lyme disease from a tick and has periodic flare ups much later.

Is he faking??!

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Is this like the D-League or something? Who are these people?

It’s a collection of waifs and orphans that Felix employs in his Fortnite salt mines. He pays them a thruppence and a bowl of gruel every week, even if they don’t get any viewers.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

Clibanarius posted:

(probably not true but still excellent tweet; replies to it own)

https://twitter.com/punished_stu/status/1322937985566969864

To save the next poor sucker the time it took me to check Wikipedia - the dog is not dead.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

Heath posted:

Right, but the math has changed on it. They'll do fine making GBS threads on liberals, but the damage the liberals are going to do down the line is going to be a lot more real. In 2016 a Clinton victory was going to be 4-8 more years of the same; now we're getting a very weak Democrat presidency after a Trump rampage. It's hard not to be pretty grim about it even if Trump did lose.

Who is this hypothetical Chapo listener you’re imagining that will fire up episode 502 “Biden nominates Corn Pop for Secretary of Agriculture”, switch it off after 10 minutes, grimly shake their head, and say “not now, it’s too real. It’s just not funny anymore.”

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

achillesforever6 posted:

I see it at work where a bunch of people who are chemical engineers and our accountant are all decently young (early 20s-late 30s) who spend any discourse on college about how they should get rid of humanities since it doesn't lead to "real" jobs. And also pissed that they were required to take a humanities class for their engineering/science degree.

Also love to tell me how socialism will never happen in America, how the Democrats are going to alienate things by going far left, and how come they can't just run people who are "socially liberal, fiscally conservative". That and being proud of being a never Trumper Republican. I just want to plug in data in a spreadsheet and get paid :smith:

I knew a few of those from school, usually Business or Engineering majors.

There’s also the aforementioned epic bacon Musk “I loving love Science” engineers that are either apolitical or some weird contrarian flavor of libertarian.

The majority of college graduates my age (~30) in tech/business are well described by that PMC Professional Managerial Class essay. Consumerist, liberal, support capitalism.

However I think the overall trend I’ve seen is people moving ever so slowly to the left, but that may also just be confirmation bias because I don’t get along with anyone that isn’t making that shift.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

The part where Virgil earnestly tries to talk someone into playing a video game that they in no way care about hit really close to home for me.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

Tirade posted:

I have no idea what any of this means

Counter strike is a video game where you play as either terrorists or counter terrorists and shoot each other, preferably in the head. It actually came out 21 years ago so the only people who care are very old or very young in the gaming community.

“Clicking on heads” is because you use your mouse to aim, unlike a controller shooter like Halo. The combination of extremely lethal weapons, early use of voice comms, and strict teamwork requirements have created one of the most uniquely toxic communities in all of gaming.

Counter strike is populated by laconic 12 year olds and depressed 32 year olds, all of which will drop an endless parade of slurs on you especially if you’re on their team. It has the added unique gameplay feature of “no respawn”, so if you are bad and die you have to watch your teammates play for a couple minutes until the next round. Due to the intense stimulant regimen the player base is universally on, this 2 minute period interlude can feel like an eternity.

The fact that Felix still plays it is very funny as he is very old, very bad, and very much likely to be tilted by the constant stream of racial/sexual profanity and terrible team work.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

The Muppets On PCP posted:

do you really wanna fund the lifestyle of a guy who travels solely by dirigible?

Top hats: $100
Absinthe: $200
Joe Biden is a rapist signs: $100
Joe Biden for president signs: $100
Lord Fauntleroy’s Dialect Coach for Fancy Boys: $3600
Rent: $150
An old fashioned printing press worked exclusively by grimy cockney men: $160

Someone please help me my magazine is dying.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

BoosterDuck posted:

felix name-dropping us in newest episode ( ꈍᴗꈍ)

First goon project administration.

Proposal: A famous businessman and populist runs the largest and most powerful country on Earth like a business, restores a golden age of prosperity for the working-class with economic protectionism and fiscal discipline.

Reality: A former game show host and serial rapist accidentally encourages a fascist coup in a former superpower after causing deadly racial conflict and letting a plague ravage the population uncontrolled for nearly a year.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

Will just spent a few days with the Cum Boys in the woods so I’m sure he has fully charged his Bro-Crystals

Yeah they hosed him.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

I got an old-rear end copy of Moby Dick and started reading it because of Matt's stream and it is full of notes from the previous owner. Here's some loving self-actualization.

This made me laugh out loud.

From the same owner’s reading series, The Grapes of Wrath.

“...and in the eyes of the people there is the failure; and in the eyes of the hungry there is a growing wrath. In the souls of the people the grapes of wrath are filling and growing heavy, growing heavy for the vintage.”

Grapes -> ??? -> Vintage(?)
Is he talking about wine? Will investigate.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

Didn’t he say Knives Out was absolute dog poo poo in the last episode.

Matt may have weaponized the 2000’s era goon contrarianism.

Anyway I know I’m late on this but the cold open in the last episode makes me want to watch a full length Goodfellas remake of an internet guy or just an hour and a half of Episode 1 style Goodfellas narration spoofs, blasting Layla the whole time.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

Wizard Master posted:

Never have I heard a piece of media as self-congratulatory, self-satisfied and masturbatory as the 500th episode. What an absolute waste of time that was.

Can’t believe I watched all 695 episodes of the Simpsons and then wasted my fuckin time with the Behind the Scenes where they thanked the cast and crew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

I Before E posted:

Cum Town would have recorded a roast but they were busy recording seven months of podcasts in advance in a wooden house precariously overlooking a gorge

I just listened to an old episode where one of them pitches the idea of doing this and they somehow decide that it’s unprofessional and would result in strange continuity issues.

Just a couple years later they spend 12 consecutive episodes describing roasted pork and doing cocaine in a cabin.

Need to bring some more Reading Series back, I feel like Will hasn’t dived into the muck of conservative thought lately. What are my homies Dreher and McArdle up to? Some kind of hot take about income tax deductions for haunted Kitchenaids?