Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Bryter posted:

It's good that poor people can't see Hamilton, it's what he would have wanted. Next step is excluding them from the franchise.
Well actually the Rockefeller Foundation has an inner-city initiative to make sure that kids get to see Hamilton for $10. I think this will go a long way to fixing all educational problems in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Conrad_Birdie posted:

My confession is I really like Hamilton and I'm also a paying Grey Wolf but I also appreciate and feel their criticisms about it are absolutely valid. Idk, I dig musical theater.
Eh, who cares. I love Zak Snyder movies and even thoughy their criticism of them gets really weird at points, I still really enjoy the episodes where they reviewed them.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

EverettLO posted:

Tim Faust used the 'A Good Cartoon' meme from the D&D polititoons thread. I only mention this because pages of argument over who is or is not a goon cures my erectile dysfunction.
People seriously argue over this? I'm a new Grey Wolf so I've missed a lot of that, but its pretty obvious given how many references there have been to this site and that they're mostly followed up with no questions from the other people on the podcast.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

SunAndSpring posted:

*in extremely hbomberguy voice* BvS may seem like a massive pile of poo poo, but if you pretend that it isn't a Randian movie and examine it through a freshman tier Zizekian lens and ignore that the filmography and acting is bad, it's actually a brilliant movie and you're an idiot for hating it
You'd have to be a proper dipshit to think BvS is Randian.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

a cyberpunk goose posted:

It really is the best outcome that someone came here to defend a bad comic book movie
They're all bad.

Except Blade.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

SunAndSpring posted:

Cinematography. Sorry, I was tired and too busy making fun of hbomberguy for liking a lovely movie about a sullen alien fighting a sullen human because he over-analyzed it and found it to be a cunning indictment of US military culture or capitalism or whatever the gently caress he imagines it is it is to fix that, but hey, at least you got a cheap shot in at me.
Cinematography in BvS owns though.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Dmitri-9 posted:

The whole theme of the Zack Snyder DC universe is that powerful beings have no obligation to act morally or heroic or in the bounds of society. Straight out of Rand.

And then Superman does act morally and heroically in both movies.
No its loving gorgeous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0lQxUqmnfU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Clipperton posted:

The first rule of holes is when you're in one, stop digging. When you're going to bat for Zack Snyder, bring a lot of shovels
If I'm going to bat for Zack Snyder then I need a bat. A shovel would be an illegal instrument in both baseball and cricket (not sure what sport you were referencing)

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The second I started reading this I was hoping for a bizarre mixed metaphor but this is so much better.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Bryter posted:

Yep. She wrote airport books for women in the 90s, became a Tory MP, then quit to start a failed Twitter clone called Menshn with a business partner who turned out to be a paedophile, and now she's the guiding light of the resistance.

She's a perfect case study in failing upwards, basically.
She was also selected for a committee to investigate the phone hacking scandal back in 2011 and then proceeded to wear kiddie gloves when interrogating Rupert Murdoch and his son, attempted to exonerate them in the final report and apparently leaked them information from private meetings with said committee. I'm pretty sure she worked for them in some capacity after resigning too. My personal favourite though is that she got into an internet fight with a 17 year old girl and definitely lost.

Mensch probably the logical conclusion of a modern day British politician; politics is just a stepping stone into something more lucrative, its all just a bit of a laugh so don't worry about the consequences, you can stop any time if you feel that its impeding your career. And shes another damning indictment against the level of education that elites receive in our country, because she went to private school and Oxbridge and yet is profoundly stupid and talentless at writing, even by the standards of right wingers.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Grondoth posted:

Wow.

Newsroom seems terrible. How did anyone like this?
Most people didn't. I'm not going to look up the old threads, but I remember the first season had a lot of people dumping all over it. And I'm not entirely certain, but I'm pretty sure my dumbfuck self was was praising it. So to answer your question; the people that did were dumbfucks.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

I just listened to the podcast. Doesn't he say that all art is reactionary? I get that the media industry is very liberal in its ideology, but that's pretty grim. What's the call to action there? The Internet is, in his words, a "poo poo tornado," so it's not like we can switch to consuming only the modern equivalent of zines.
I listened to this while in the middle of a tiring commute this morning so I may have misheard a few things, but I think he had to reluctantly accept the host saying that he thought that all forms of art are inherently useless. Which is really ridiculous to me, even though I almost entirely agree with his arguments against gaming.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

also, crazy thought, I think he may have been joking.
Disagree, he came on Chapo to literally poo poo all over the hosts in to prove his superiority over them

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I actually sort of believe him, but I'm not going to anyway.

I'm just hoping that this gets a mention on his Wikipedia article, because its important to teach the controversy.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Sinn Fein are a legitimate political party, and DUP's tone is antagonistic and its making me very angry.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

TomViolence posted:

Gee I wonder how superhuman vigilantes who solve problems through spectacular violence might be interpreted as fascistic or reactionary.
All of them except the Marvel movie heroes that I like.

Tony Stark is a communist imo.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Just finished reading Angela Nagle's book at lunch today. Good companion to "Neoreaction a Basilisk" by Phil Sandifer.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Hi, I'm the ghost of Karl Marx.

Cumtown is alright lads.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Its HG Wells

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Antti posted:

Oh no. The Gorka impression gag is officially dead now.
On that topic, anyone know what episode had Gorka turning up via helicopter?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Chapo want to destroy the Democrats foolproof 2020 election campaign by attempting to move it away from beloved policies that resonate with the public (re-igniting the Cold War and the reduction of the deficit) by moving them towards proven vote losers such as single payer health care and being able to living without wanting to fall over and die because you can't handle the endless stress.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Exactly. Don't make us choose.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I've still yet to see a centrist explain a policy that they'd like to implement.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Pretty disgusting this "let them eat donuts" thing, as we all know that "donut" in this instance means "penis" so liberals are saying that all leftists should be raped.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

oatgan posted:

"They might try and doxx the left too" isn't really a threat because they've been trying it for some time now
RedWatch was set up in 1992 in the UK by Combat 18 specifically to give out the personal information of leftists in order to intimidate them, so doxxing Nazis is fair game in my eyes.

I did meet an antifa guy at uni who had fun with this though. He'd publish the information of fascists on their own doxxing websites along with some information about how they're an undercover leftist and a race traitor or something, just to poo poo stir.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Honestly this is so funny at this point that I don't want it to go away.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I always thought the torture sequence in GTA5 was probably the only semi-decent attempt at satire. The rest of the universe is just really poor parody.

I did love the Pisswasser commercial though, for being over the top in so many wonderful ways.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Know Such Peace posted:

The Cobbler is a decent premise executed in the worst possible fashion. It is truly insane that the director for Spotlight made this movie.
If anything The Cobbler is the weird blip on his CV, not the Oscar win. Admittedly I haven't watched his stuff in a while so I can't speak about details, but I love the poo poo out of The Station Agent.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I know Adomian runs with Gorka as a Machiavellian genius but I'm starting to think that he is actually more like Alan Partridge.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Matt's movie opinions are worthless, but even just looking over the first few pages of that site, he has to be a real loving idiot to put Guardians of the Galaxy 2 over Alien: Covenant and Shin Godzilla.

He did like the new King Kong though, so fair play. That movie defied my expectations and I loved it more for it.

Edit: He gave Magic Mike XXL 4 stars? I'm back on board, Matt owns.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

The Marvel movies are entertainment for the masses and better than most of the bougie art films that come out in a year
Bourgie art films like Alien and Godzilla

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I want my movies to be clever and narrow and subtle, like the Marvel movies

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

I just want to share my favourite account on Twitter.

If you pretend that this is Candice Aiston's account it still makes sense.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Will is too good for Chapo, he should become a permanent part of the big leagues (Cumtown)

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The DSA needs a more photogenic leader like Stav.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Ricky Gervais is a massive tit, but The Office did legit own. Hes not been able to do anything anywhere near as good after that. Even the David Brent movie from a couple of years ago was awful. Merchant isn't that great either, "Hello Ladies" was a loving abomination.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

These people are so easy to wind up. Its no wonder the alt-right has been such a success online.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Apoplexy posted:

Totally agreed. I love any time they do this and their Reading Series/looks at opinion douchebags.
Its an unlimited goldmine of crazy that keeps evolving into crazier and crazier stuff, these episodes own.

I kind of want them to do a Dark Enlightenment or Yudkowsky themed episode like this at one point.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Reminds me actually back in Chapo's early days when Matt mentioned people online asking them to stop recording podcasts to make room in the cultural space for the voice of women and POC, and then pointing out that they're basically saying "please stop doing anything" as if that's a revolutionary act.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Matt won the debate lads