Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
I don't know which episode it was but the best gag is Halo being an allegory for Mormonism.

And their review of Reign Over Me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
London Has Fallen is real bad, but not bad enough to wrap back around to being good.

Watch Ghosts of Mars instead.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
My takeaway is that the world we live in is so complex and interconnected that even the people who are ostensibly 'in the know' have very little understanding of much of anything; that is, that actions taken for straightforward A--->B reasons can have thousands of consequences we can never predict or even fathom. This is bad because the facade of our sort of post-history society is built upon a slavish devotion to technocracy, and data.

More than anything else, Curtis highlights how unpredictable and straight up insane human beings can be when placed into positions of tension, or when their logic fails. This isn't a new idea, really, but Curtis does a good job explaining it and showing it via analysis of history.

I like Cormac McCarthy's take on it better, myself: “The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it all from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning.

The universe is no narrow thing and the order within it is not constrained by any latitude in its conception to repeat what exists in one part in any other part. Even in this world more things exist without our knowledge than with it and the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way. For existence has its own order and that no man's mind can compass, that mind itself being but a fact among others.”

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

uber_stoat posted:

it's arguable the efficacy of his constant twitter shitposting. my opinion is he would be president even if his campaign manager had confiscated his phone at the start of the race. TV media bears more of the blame for the rise of Trumpism than twitter. I waste a lot of time on twitter but I try to keep in mind that it's ultimately a dying social media platform with no business model.

What do you mean by 'TV media'?

CNN is dying. MSNBC is dying. Fox News is doing slightly better, but is on life support as far as viewship goes.

Fewer people watch CNN than watch League of Legends tournaments on Twitch.

Broadcast news is definitely a different thing, but I don't remember people ganging up on CBS/ABC/NBC for their coverage.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

QuantaStarFire posted:

Twitter's really just the latest in a trend that's been in vogue since the first soundbite, which is to suck all the nuance out of any given political position and reduce it into an Us-vs.-Them debate where any attempt to approach the issue from a different angle is met with accusations of supporting the "enemy" from both sides. It's not conducive to solving anyone's problems with the current state of the world.

Politics is essentially adversarial and has never been based on synthesising two opposing viewpoints into an enlightened way forward.

You can disagree if you're weirdly into Hegelian dialectics about the efficacy, but bemoaning the death of the reasoned, rational political debate just makes you look obtuse and stupid.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Halloween Jack posted:

It's almost as if Twitter isn't a good platform, for nuanced, inclusive political discussion.

Calling it now, Twitter is a deep-state op to kick leftists' circular firing squad instincts into overdrive.

Twitter's still basically a platform to mass text people and it's very sad that it's become the only social platform that really matters.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
What would the appropriate response to this mess be?

"Our friend made a bad dumb joke, sorry." is about all I'd ever expect out of them, and even that is probably acknowledging it too much.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Famethrowa posted:

I can't wait for Twitter to loving die, if just so dipshits will quit "dragging" people over minor missteps or perceived impurities.

At best you get a few funny jokes out of it, at worst it's a loving mass hysteria machine.

Rest assured the people who get way into Twitter drama would find some other banal idiocy on the internet to get mad over if Twitter didn't exist.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

GalacticAcid posted:

Carter was bad

Carter's biggest misstep was treating the American population as a bunch of adults capable of understanding risk, vs. treating them like a bunch of whining babies who needed to be coddled and held.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Henchman of Santa posted:

It's really loving bummed me out how a ton of people I once respected appear to have brain worms now

They were always this way, really.

I remember the drumup to Iraq very clearly and you see the same names crop out now and it's hilarious and darkly terrifying.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
My favorite Chapo is 21, with 24 coming up behind. I like when they have knowledgable people on to talk about political events in the world that the US media ignores or doesn't understand.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
I try my best not to read the sort of thing that Jacoby posts so I have a question that might be really stupid.

Who are these articles for?

The newest reading series was an article that was just this like 5th grade first english paper about how someone likes to drive their car. I have no personal relation to this guy, and, god willing, will never interact with him in real life. The only people who could possibly care about this are his wife and his son?

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't follow every single thing every Dry Boy does online, so what trenchant "issues" does Felix need to deal with?

Racism against the fine folks of Portugal.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
I can't look at pictures of Thom Yorke without vomiting in my mouth a little bit so I don't keep up with Radiohead.

He is a perfect storm of ugly.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Dr.Radical posted:

Fixed that for ya

tomato, potato.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Halloween Jack posted:

Is anyone in media dumber than Joy Ann Reid?

Tucker Carlson always looks like he's angry that he's so befuddled and confused + cannot take a picture with his mouth closed.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Felix is a success story of the clothes-in-a-pile lifestyle, one we can all look up to and emulate.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Having an extremely online Twitter president has some really bad downfalls.

There's a person who I respect very, very much professionally. He does wonderful work, and is a standout in his field. But after the election, he's taken to tweeting really cringey sophomoric insults at Trump at least 2-3 times a day.

It sucks.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Halloween Jack posted:

I could rant about this at length, but in brief: I don't get people whose Twitter is just cataloguing every stupid/offensive thing Trump says and maybe firing back. It's bad that this senile narcissist is the president, but he still won after being caught on tape admitting to sexual assault. I'm not sure what they're getting out of it, doing a how-dare-you-sir every time he calls somebody ugly or a loser.

Exactly. It's all performative and it is actually making me lose respect for this guy, which is a bummer.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Somebody please tell me where I go to become a paid troll on twitter. Is the DSA cutting the checks? The Russians? Somebody tell me! My dream job is to get paid for being mean to people on the internet!

I don't know about every other paid troll but my checks are cut by a shell company owned by Ramzan Kadyrov.

Mostly I just post about bootleg MMA tapes from the late '90's.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Lurks Morington posted:

Y'all listen to hip hop? There's some cool leftish stuff out there. I'm too mellow for like stuff like run the jewels, but there's still some less popular stuff that's pretty easy listening.

Uphill climb

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HivCDpdhUWU

Delicate Cycle

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OCIgRIOBycc

Caveman

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fRbY4mN7Gs0

Not YT but RA Scion owns anyway

https://rascion.bandcamp.com/album/begxborrowxsteal

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Cum Town is just three friends (ish) shooting the poo poo. Don't make it more than that and it's awesome and good and pure.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Been busy lately but Felix's Portuguese accent is the worst thing I've ever heard.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
My favorite sort of Chapo was always a knowledgeable guest talking about a subject without mass coverage in the US.

The episode with Mexicanarchist was fabulous, as was the episodes about Turkey and Colombia by way of Amnesty International.

The Scahill episode was good too, although I find him to be a little grating sometimes.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
someone give these people a decent book god drat.

the most useful lens to view the world is actually Fear & Trembling.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Felix should inspire us all by becoming a millionaire podcast auteur in spite of his severe and profound learning disability of only learning about 4 things in his life.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
The dry boys all look like minor Venture Bros. characters and, hell, I like it.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Hmmm yes I want a boring tedious loser to waste an hour of everyone’s time apologizing for his old boss and plugging everyone’s newest favorite directly marketed product aimed at late 20’s wealthy millennials.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
My favorite Chapo episodes are the early ones where they get a foreign policy expert on to talk about a really interesting topic with no bullshit.

Like the one with Meixcanarchist, or the one about the coup in Turkey.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

sexpig by night posted:

It's really weird to just uncritically describe the dogma of hate groups, especially in a book where she absolutely does critically look at the left's online stuff and outright takes the right's side often by saying being told to acknowledge systematic racism and all 'shames them for being white' and pushes them to the alt-right.

Also yea the dogma isn't even accurate, 'decline of monogamy' is some straight up "DEGENERACY" nonsense and acting as if this is some new trend where men aren't entitled to get hosed by any woman they want is really dumb.

It's an ethnography. That's the idea.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Is John Rocker on twitter?

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
A podcast with John Lovitz and John Favreau would be neat.

Call it "John from the Back" or something I don't know.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
The only bad accent that has been done on Chapo is Felix's Portugeuse butler.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Pharmaskittle posted:

I think they donate a lot and probably put the bulk of it back into their "company" or whatever

I think Nick Mullen of all people also donates to a lot of charities. I vaguely remember one episode of cum town where Adam or Stav started talking about how Nick donates a lot, but he shut the conversation down really quickly. I guess it could've been a really unfunny bit, but it didn't sound like it.

Yeah Nick outed the Chapo guys as donating a ton of money, at least relative to what they draw as salaries.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Glad Cernovich has found a new tactic to get people fired, besides calling them pedophiles.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
The actual evidence bares out that no matter who you elect -- Democrat or Republican over the last 46ish years -- things go forwards in the same direction. This covers everything from income, to incarceration rates, to imperialist wars, to healthcare things like preventable deaths. There are only a few knobs to turn and they aren't actually hooked up to anything.

The apparatus of American society is mostly self-controlled at this point. The best way to look at elections is taking glee in people you hate being disappointed, but the world isn't going to end any slower or faster if Democrats take the Senate or faceplant like the ineffectual dipshits they are.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

KingNastidon posted:

Hmmm maybe it's possible to enjoy gallows humor and aggressive cynicism while also believing there are other ways to achieve leftist political goals than violent revolution. There certainly aren't any examples, like Canada and Western Europe, where such goals have been achieved without bloodshed.

And, gasp, I prefer such smart but dark, sardonic political commentary presented by folks that aren't routinely drunk off their rear end and on the verge of vomiting. Maybe I'm just a stale, decorum loving neoliberal idiot.

Or just feel it's counter productive towards widespread acceptance and adoption of such ideals outside of internet forums/twitter idk

I don't think you know what leftist political thought is. It extends far beyond "we have healthcare and we're racist in a different way than Americans."

The only thing voting does is make you (the voter) feel good. And if that's worth the hassle to you, great! But if you want to actually wrestle with the mechanisms that govern your life and make things better, voting is the last step in the process -- you have to organize and build public pressure first. And that bares out from every historical movement in American history, from the labor movement, to temperance, to the Vietnam war protests, to the Iraq war protests.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

KingNastidon posted:

And none of those issues required violent revolution because eventually broad public opinion caught up with "true" leftist politics, right? Maybe not as quickly as one would hope, but none the less.

Attacking someone because they don't rigidly adhere to a combination of absolute cynicism and nihilism about democratic elections isn't great. I enjoy Chapo a lot, but that doesn't require making GBS threads on PSA or mainstream liberalism at every opportunity. It's a useful tactic to push the overton window leftward, but we don't have to pretend Felix or Matt had more influence on the recent election gains than Jon Favreau or Tommy Vietor.

I mean, you can nitpick about 'revolution' but there was absolutely violence in every single case I mentioned.

My great uncle was killed by the United States government for striking.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

KingNastidon posted:

Being a victim of political violence is different than perpetrating political violence. Chapo is somewhat smart enough to know that optics and widespread acceptance matter (NYT Bestseller!) yet aren't quite there in regards to stopping advocating for violent revolution or not presenting themselves as drunks in public.

I really, really like what they do and who they are, but their influence and political message is extremely niche. Demeaning everyone that doesn't jive with Matt's cynicism or Felix's gamer rants isn't building you a coalition. It's possible to like something while acknowledging others may like something that's imperfect, but tangentially beneficial.

Liberalism is not beneficial. It is demonstrably the opposite of beneficial, in fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
The greatest policy success of the Democratic party in the last thirty years was either destroying welfare and immiserating millions of Americans for no reason, or a subsidy worth trillions to a vestigial industry that shouldn't exist.

If they're better than Republicans, it's by the thinnest of margins.