Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Hulk Krogan posted:

Cersei has a (justified) huge chip on her shoulder about all the misogyny she's overcome to attain power but is an insanely arrogant and petty person who surrounds herself with sycophants and holds grudges to a disastrously counterproductive degree.

So yeah it's pretty perfect.

She also murdered one of her friends as a kid, threatened to tear the tongues from servants (also as a kid), banged two relatives and started her own little Mengele project.

So emm...kinda of a mixed message. Pretty much every woman and girl in ASoIaF had to deal with a lot of sexist bullshit without going full psycho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I mean, Russia definitely intended to gently caress with us and arguably succeeded. Just today there were reports that Russian hackers tried to gently caress with voter registration in 21 states.

There's a difference between acknowledging that and being like Carl Reiner and demanding that Hillary be installed as president overnight because of it though.

Oh, definitely. It's the old Great Power game: loving with each other's business, system and image to boost yourself, far more late 1800s than a new Cold War. I haven't really seen lefties saying it's all a fantasy and doesn't bear checking, but making it the flagship of the Democratic reaction is really not a smart bet, to say the least.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

sexpig by night posted:

yea really any doc about that war that gives equal time to locals saying 'uh actually I didn't really give a poo poo about communism or whatever I just was terrified that my home would be the next to get leveled' instantly gets a few points. It's really pathetic how rare even leftist documentaries giving time for the Vietnamese perspective beyond quick 'yea killing us wasn't nice' cuts.

Reminds me of a Garth Ennis story in which a US 'observer' was sent packing after a french garrison was destroyed by locals. "This is not French Indochina. This is not French Anything. This is Vietnam."

His 'Born' series for Punisher Max was pretty much the first mass media I ever read that showed Vietnam as just vile, dumb and fueled only by some crazy inevitable 'wisdom' of imperialist escalation.

quote:

We cannot lose in Vietnam.
Try as we might.
Though our Generals are so stupid, our strategy so poor, as to all but guarantee defeat ...
Though our morale is trampled in the deepest ditch, shot through with heroin and bitter failure ...
Though we face the toughest, bravest, fighters in the world, strange little men with hearts like those of tigers ...
Though we make the world despise us ...
Though we do things that will stain our souls forever ...
Though America eats its own intestines over this, cities riven with unrest, leaders inspiring loathing and distrust ...
We cannot lose.
Because when we are gone -- when the brave little fighters kick us out, and we finally lose all stomach for this wretched, knotted puzzle
of a war --
No one -- no one -- in South-East Asia, or anywhere on Earth, will look at what is left of Vietnam --
And think it is smart to gently caress with the United States of America.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

GalacticAcid posted:

:rolleyes: Figures that of all the lovely libertarians in the media, Chapo folks go after the only woman

McMegan might also be the closest one to mainstream respectability among the wonkerati, having written for the Atlantic, Newsweek, and gone to bat for Big Finance after the 2008 crisis.

Also, plenty of male libertarians have pretty much migrated to the alt-right.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Holy crap, liberal failbrains like Eric Garland are now resorting to VENONA shouting? Literally stuff from the bad side of late 90's Redstate fever? I shouldn't be surprised, and yet...

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Mr. Lobe posted:

These people sacrificed their principles on the altar of institutional political power, and now they do not even have that. This choice has shaped them into nihilistic husks, incapable of putting forth a positive vision of society. All they can do now is grasp at threads such as these.

It will be interesting to see how low they will sink when they face another embarrassing failure at the midterm elections, or worse, the next presidential election.

I legit expect a lot of them to switch to the GOP if more DSA/left types get into office in 2018. They won't even have to think of good excuses, as Reagan already came up with "I didn't leave the Democratic Party, the party left me!"

Of course, if the Trump-crazy future GOP will even have them is an open question. Having neoliberals and neocons finally reunite into a tender hug just as both lose all traction would be poetic justice of the kind life doesn't usually offer, though having the Republicans go full ProudBoy has its own problems.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Fans posted:

This is a hell of an episode. How the hell did this glorious mess of a woman get involved with two presidential campaigns?

What about the first made people go “Oh yes, her again. She nailed it”?

Ugh. I wish I wasn't a poor student so I could sign up and get all the top fare!

Wish they'd release the premium episodes, ay, six months of so later, but I understand why they don't.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

The Muppets On PCP posted:

glenn greenwald's real crime is he basically writes the same one paragraph article stretched to 1000 words over and over

I admit I cut Greenwald a lot of slack because he is pretty much the only journalist of note that gives a poo poo about the insane mess that is Brazil at present, and shines a bit of light at the vulture antics that polite company pretend are just Third Way niceties.

Sure, it's only because he lives here and is married to a local, but that's how we get ya hooked!

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Lord, I hope they do a show about the bizarre nazi/tyrant worship from the NYT/Newsweek.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Whedon's stuff never sat well with me. One of my GFs went to great lengths to try and get me into Buffy. I didn't think it was -bad-, just never found anything to hold my interest, bit it was still

More recently, a girl I was dating got me to watch Mr. Horrible's sing-along (or something) with her because it was her favorite thing ever, and I found it really, really bad. His brand of "Oh look it's all so clever, cutesy and whimsical, the hero is giving wedgies to the villainOHMIGOD the gun blew up and the cute girls is BLEEDING SLOWLY TO HER DEATH, HER SHRAPNEL-RIDDLED BODY ALMOST SAINTLY IN NEAR-DEATH" is just radioactive there.

The cool thing was that she and I talked about it and she understood why I didn't like it, and no one patronized anyone. I get the feeling my actual ex always thought that my failure to appreciate Joss and his weeping power-waifs was a moral stain on me.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

scary ghost dog posted:

the juxtaposition of realistic violence and twee characters is much better realized in james gunn's ouevre

Agreed. Maybe it's just a personal chemistry thing. Gunn's mood shifts don't feel as cheap or melodramatic to me, mostly because he starts from a different place.

poo poo, I even remember one loose Buffy episode I watched ages ago that had a big reveal that the protagonist had come back to life but she was in heaven before and was pissed at her friends for bringing her back to her lovely life. An interesting concept in itself, but it just felt maudlin and off.

Whedon-talk aside, is there any director the crew unanimously likes? Other than, say, David Cronenberg.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Guy Goodbody posted:

There's the famous monologue from Metal Gear Solid 2, which came out in 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKl6WjfDqYA

And MGS4 was entirely about a system of endless low-level war that had become the center of the world economy. A system that had been started by people but had grown and evolved to simply be the controlling system of the world, self-perpetuating without input from humans

Thanks for posting this so I didn't have to. All Kojima bullshit aside, someparts of his theme are just chilling in how quickly and powerful they became actual things.

poo poo, any day now Trump will be rolling out the WAR-Dow Jones, and the democrats will be for it "with reservations" because hey, it boosts the economy!

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

PostNouveau posted:

I think he wants to bang Hillary Clinton.

That's not nearly enough. He wants to flow inside her, nest inside her uterus and re-enter the world as a remade creature, blessed by Hillary's infinity bounty, just the newest iteration of an endless Hillary Continuum that he will defend until the heat death of the universe.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

little munchkin posted:

sorry, I don't fully understand the arbitrary distinctions between "libs", "liberals", "leftists", etc.

please replace "left wingers" with a group you don't personally identify with if it will make the joke better to you

In broad strokes, leftists oppose foreign intervention even when there's a Democratic WH occupant, dealing down the security apparatus a lot, tackling issues like police brutality and gerrymandering overtly and aggressively, and making Single Payer the new battle flag of the party. They value motivating the base and winning undecideds by offering quality of life, real gains, even if they burn bridges along the way, especially among the wealthier donors like Wall Street. And, of course, block GOP nominations/laws all the time, every time.

Liberals tend to conform to the status quo a lot more, arguing that nothing will change if they just turn people off by being too radical. Working within the system to try and get tax incentives to fields they see as beneficial, voting along with republicans several times in the belief that they might someday return the favor or because it's not worth it to break civility/disrupt the government to make a point. Antagonizing any powerful established group is a big no-no: Oil, coal, Pharma, health insurance, they are all a part of our beautiful tapestry and need love and representation. They will praise and ally with -almost- anyone further right who can offer a rethorical or political edge.

My bias is showing, but I hope that helped.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Are the Chapo people even aware of the War Nerd of the Exile crew in general? They seem to have very similar leanings, but I've never seen them reference each other.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Thompsons posted:

Well when you're born into a rich family you have no chance of coming out a normal person so they may as well go bananas on naming them Apple or Bookshelf or whatever

Minyon Moore.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Can anyone link the Politico article from last Chapo's reading session? The one about wealthy old Trump voters being insular morons in their little Golf resort? I looked for it but had no luck.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Thanks a bunch!

I sorta miss Amber in the latest stuff. Is she doing any side projects?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Gynocentric Regime posted:

I had to pull over because I laughed for like five minutes straight when he said that it was real.

I was too shocked to even laugh. I basically froze on the bus thinking 'No. No freaking way."

Centrism has reached its own level of Poe.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Biomute posted:

James Gunn makes good movies. Disney makes bad choices. Chernovich is an rear end in a top hat.

I would have liked to see more Guardians from Gunn and I don't think being able to fire people on the spot for lovely tweets they made 10 years ago is a sign of good labour laws, but I don't feel bad that he's suffering some consequences for acting like a dick. Of course, Disney should not have hired him in the first place if they were not down with that poo poo; no way they don't have some intern vet the prospective talents social media presence. Hell, mine gets a look when I apply to a job and I am nobody.

Not only that, they have shifted to the guy who writes Rick and Morty. I don't watch the show and know nothing about the guy, but believing that any number of scalps will mollify the chuds is dumb to a suicidal level. They are in it for the blood.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Felix and Matt are streaming MGS on twitch and it's freaking adorable.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Seeing will get called DarkSydeWill as they fail forever in the Gray Fox fix is -magic-.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

The_Rob posted:

Not really, trump is at least open about it rather than hiding it.

And Trump's being a loudmouth pig about it at least draws attention to the problem, unlike Hillary's (and Obama's) quiet efficiency that lets people sleep easy at night ignoring the issue.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

sexpig by night posted:

this is like in the Harvard show where Will had to say 'no, if you actually think Obama was worse than Bush you're just trolling people'. Clinton sucked and woulda been a bad prez but no the dude appointing Heritage Foundation selected lifetime judges and telling us kneeling black people are a strong national danger and nazis are actually fine and cool is worse to let lead.

Yeah, no way Obama would have given the reins to greasy vampire stooges from big banks. Hank Paulson, Timothy Geithner, Larry Summers, Rahm Emmanuel (who, at Matt Taibbi famously put it, would blow a corpse for a cheeseburger), Micahel Froman and others I'm forgetting? Would never happen.

US politics are like a train. You maybe be in the nice car with polite frifters or the rough car where they yell at you the while way, but the rail leads to the same place.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

cat doter posted:

any food with even a tiny amount of ginger tastes awful to me, even if it's just a bit of seasoning in there and I wasn't aware, I just can't eat it

I'm not even entirely sure why, lots of people say ginger tastes good, I don't like not being able to enjoy something I'm no hater

I'm with you. I can use it (barely) as a palate cleanser, but eating it for pleasure is just beyond me.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Thaddius the Large posted:

Virgil’s delighted laughter at the Kingdom Hearts reference was amazing

It was loving magical. Even if I never played Kingdom Hearts.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

prefect posted:

I wonder if there was something he did to make them poo poo on his soup. Maybe he was a condescending rear end in a top hat about it.

I doubt it. He all but jerks off about what a hard-working gritty salt-of-the-earth Real American his dad (and by extension all rural conservatives) is.

More likely he was all meek and defensive about it, which only made his hick father hate him all the more for being such a wuss.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Is Portuguese really weird or is Felix doing an exceptionally poor job pronouncing names?

I'm brazilian (to my shame atm) and he's not that bad. Mostly he messes up the accent marks (Gastão is pronounced Gaz-tahum, not GasTAOH).

That said, yes portuguese is loving weird and whomever inveted accent marks and out insane conjugation tables should be made immortal and the sealed in a septic tank for eternity.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Flying-Chip posted:

New Atheists are Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins, Steven Pinker and the like, who use "Reason and Logic" to defend conservative policies while posing as progressives.

Pretty much.

It kinda got started as the internet allowed spread-out groups like atheists to congregate and find common experiences and give those types a steady audience, especially via blogs. Early Youtube dissing of creationist tropes/organizations was also a big thing and might be the cradle of the DEBATE ME!! gambit of the current alt-right.

There was a definite progressive current in it early on, via people like PZ Myers and Aron Ra. Daniel Dennett also seems to be not a poo poo person. Those all got tossed aside when:

1- Intra-movement tensions (Libertarians versus Others, Shitbags versus Women Who Don't Wanna Be Groped and stalked at Conventions) made it clear that if white guys and their fans had to make ANY effort to improve themselves, they would rather burn it all down instead;

2- They realized that blowing raspberries at home-schooled creationists got you the modest applause of some academia types, but making GBS threads on muslims/feminists/marxists got you hundreds of thousands of views, bulging Patreons and the adoration of restless chuds and chud-adjacent factions.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Speaking of early Internet, does anyone know what happened to wunderkind Mark Steyn? For a while he really seemed to be the ideological driver of the conservative online culture. Hell, he was one of the most visible early adopters of the white genocide and ismal invasion in the mainstream.

Did he simply get buried by the shoutier, less wordy chuds? I'm surprised he hasn't been featured in a Chapo episode yet.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Serf posted:

removing death from thanos' motivation turns him from printer-carrier sadsack to drooling idiot

Ehh, I dunno. I like bad forum poster Thanos. Reminds me of some libertarian threads.

"I'm not saying my plan of charging people for breathing wouldn't have some problems after we privatize air, but it's a lot better than just having bums stealing oxygen all the time. Doing nothing, that's the real catastrophe here!"

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
In the Enoch Musk RPG epsode, they make a joke about his girlfriend having a 3.4 something that makes everyone groan. Either the audio mangled it or it said right over my head. Can anyone supply some xcontext?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Biomute posted:

She's a cutie-pie.

Ohhh gently caress god no.......

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

EndOfTheWorld posted:

Brutalist architecture is also one of Rod Dreher's favorite hobbyhorses. The dude loves posting a picture of some church built in the seventies alongside a thousand word screed asking "How does this elevate the soul towards Christ? Not enough flying buttresses!"

He should be declaring a jihad against the evangelicals, then, because in my time in the South I saw nothing but the boxiest, ugliest buildings you could loving imagine being called churches.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Matt definitely reads this thread and I'm pretty sure he's referred to me as a "dipshit" as a result.

As a Silver Fang habsburg, you deserve worse!!

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I desperately wish Virgil would force them to play WoD.

Well, now that 2/3rds of the CoC table is frothing mad, who knows? I can see Felix making the weakest, wimpiest Get of Fenris who of course is a rabid neonazi incel. It would be a thing of beauty.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Holy crap, people are taking the impending nothingburger of the Mueller report badly.

Chapo will likely bring Greenwals back for a post mortem when it drops, but Mark Ames would be an even better pick.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Great new ep, but a lot of stuff flew over this foreigner's head. Why were they laughing so hard at the "shack with a rusty roof" bit and the like? Feels like a reference I didn't get.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Amber's point was that too many people are cool with goofy old men groping women for that to stick, and that Biden is literally horrible enough on all meaningful subjects that this should not even have to be a factor in ruling him out. None of that was implied but stated as clearly as it could have been without bullet points and a powerpoint presentation.

Honestly, I was a bit put off by their stance on guns. I don't think any left movement stands a chance against a government, and that should not be the goal. But I do believe we are quickly nearing a point in which arming the left in some capacity is going to be necessary, as a safeguard against persecution by empowered, hostile chuds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Pharmaskittle posted:

I do a lot of tabletop role playing, and Matt's reaction wasn't too uncommon for people who are new to it and haven't really been handled correctly by the DM and to a lesser extent the other players. It's easy for new people to get frustrated when they feel like they built a "bad" character or that the adventure isn't giving them opportunities to do useful things. I wouldn't try to psychoanalyze the podcast man over getting upset at a game in a way a lot of people do.

It was all set-up for Dr. PennyFarthing to finally come true and have his enfeebled self save the world from the predation of the Elder God Chad! _All_ part of his character arc, for all who have eyes to see.

I mean, read some Campbell, folks!