Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robot Made of Meat

I already posted this in the Wednesday Frog thread, but I figured it might make a good standalone.

Robot Made of Meat posted:

This seems like a good time to introduce Clock Frog to BYOB.

Clock Frog lived behind the clock on my deck all last summer. I'd hear him start to chirp as the evening wore on, and near dusk he'd climb out from behind the clock and relax a while and wake up a bit.

When he'd made his plans, he'd climb up the wall a bit and make his way slowly across the wall. I really don't know where he went because it'd be too dark to see him long before he got there.

I was happy to find just this week that Clock Frog is back. I have no way of knowing whether it's the same frog (I haven't heard it chirp this year yet), but it's hard to imagine that two different frogs would choose to occupy the space behind that clock in subsequent years. If I were a frog, I'd think this would be an unsuitable home because it's a very loud-ticking clock, and it gets very hot back there in the morning. On the plus side, it's nice and dry and it's safe from predators.

From what I've been able to find on the internet, he seems to be a Gray Tree Frog. This seems to me to be an odd thing to name a frog which lives behind clocks, but I'm not a frogologist.

So, on behalf of Clock Frog, Happy Wednesday, My Dudes!

(sorry for the lousy pictures -- it's hard to get very close without fear of startling him)

So, BYOB. Tell us of the wild (or wild-ish) critters which have settled in to unexpected places in your lives.

Ocelots under your sundial? Vicunas behind your garage? Pumas in your underwear drawer? Tell us about them, and share pictures!

And no, we don't need to hear about cockroaches, ants, or earwigs!

Robot Made of Meat fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jul 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

I already posted this in the Wednesday Frog thread, but I figured it might make a good standalone.

So, BYOB. Tell us of the wild (or wild-ish) critters which have settled in to unexpected places in your lives.

Ocelots under your sundial? Vicunas behind your garage? Pumas in your underwear drawer? Tell us about them, and share pictures!

And no, we don't need to hear about cockroaches, ants, or earwigs!

love that frog!

i've had several bunny friends that cohabited in my lawn and many frogs in the two fishponds i made but its always cool when it's something big like deer. at my families place we have this little sitting place on the marsh, about 100 ft from our dock which goes out 370 feet through salt marsh to the river.

around 2006 my brother and i were sitting there smoking a bowl when all of a sudden we realize there's a mother deer and a fawn standing about 40 ft away from us. they must have just walked up and frozen when they saw us, oblivious that they were there. a couple seconds later we realize that there is a second fawn about 10ft away from us, just at the base of the little rock jetty that we built the sitting area/wooden platform on. there's a game path through the marsh there and the deer just hung out for a few minutes before the closest fawn walked back to it's mom and they walked away.

i kept seeing those deer for the next few years, always one of the younger two getting a little closer to the humans than the other two. No idea what happened to them after maybe 2010 but it was always cool to see that little deer family showing up and hanging out for a few minutes until brave little deer returned to it's family so they could walk away.

FluffieDuckie

do pool ducks count?

this is donald and daisy. back when we had foster kids we had to have that security fencing around the pool and these 2 figured out that when they were in the pool the dogs and the kids couldn't get to them. so for a whole summer they'd come divebombing into the pool, swim around and quack and laugh at the dogs and kids on the outside of the fence, and then fly away.

we saw them almost every day of the summer and then they were gone. i'm sure they found another pool to play in

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

FluffieDuckie

also my neighbor had a car mountain lion but that's less cute and more terrifying

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

ThingOne

Would you like some tofu?

A chance encounter with some wild llamas somewhere near the border of Chile and Peru. Really, I think we were the unusual encounter here.

Doctor Dogballs

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

there used to be a little spider that lived on the ledge behind my kitchen sink. the window also had a hole where ants could get in. which meant that while I was washing dishes, I also got some free entertainment, watching the spider catch ants and murder them.

----------------
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HopefulSophisticatedIndianrhinoceros-mobile.webm
"The Bad Boy of Comics"

bean mom

FluffieDuckie posted:

also my neighbor had a car mountain lion but that's less cute and more terrifying

man how much is something like that to have installed

gotta be a purrty big amount

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Robot Made of Meat

FluffieDuckie posted:

I'll stick with frogs.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

alnilam

here is a friendly duck who came up to my friends and i in a nice little park in west amsterdam

she straight up chilled with us for like half an hour while we picnicked on the grassy bank of a canal, while a bunch of admiring drakes down below in the water were clearly trying to get her attention but she was too good for them

my 2 friends and i all have a copy of this photo and keep it posted up in our respective offices :3:

ty manifisto

alnilam

:horse:
At the end of my bike commute to work, I bomb down a big hill past several horse pastures. The horses hanging out in there often look up at me and watch me go by, they're used to cars and walkers but I probably look like a weird kind of fast creature to them, or maybe i just look like an unusually fast human.
One of them wears a cool fly-mask with sunglasses on it like this

and it looks really funny when she watches me go by cause she looks so rad with her sunglasses (they can see thru the fly mask)
Sometimes when horses are hanging out in pasture, they play with each other, run around, race each other, etc. So one time one of them was kind of trotting along the fence right along the road, and she saw me coming down the hill on my bike at roughly horse-speed, and so she ran alongside me like we were playing, she looked at me as we raced down along the hill, all the way along the fence. I keep hoping it happens again cause it makes me feel like an honorary horse.
One time I went for a walk at lunch and I didn't go right up to the fence cause I didn't want them to think I had food, but the same horse as the running one (I think) made eye contact with me and kind of walked my way and then stopped and just looked at me for like 5 minutes straight.
Horses are cool, sometimes I wish I had one or rode more often or something.

ty manifisto

alnilam

The really sad part of that story: there was a barn fire and like 6 of my horse-friends died, I legit cried when I biked by and saw the ruins of the barn and smelled the smokey wood and saw a makeshift memorial on the roadside because I knew some horses must have died in there. Then later I found out it was 6 of them + a funny goat who always hung out with the horses and nuzzled their legs. :cry:

The one with the sunglasses is still okay though, and I think the one who ran with me is too (unless there's another one who looks just like her).

Barn fires make me really sad because not only is a fire the worst way to die, but also the animals are locked in there by the power of humans and so with no humans to let them out they're just completely trapped :(
I still have a horrifying image in my head of horses desperately trying to get out of the barn and I wish I had been riding to work and spotted the fire and been able to let them out (it was a Sunday though)

ty manifisto

City of Glompton

aw al :glomp: that is so sad. I'm sorry.

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

bean mom

during the fall I get a constant stream of herds of turks!

they turkin all over my yard!

TURKS!

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

ThingOne

Would you like some tofu?

In the spring geese like to hang out on the awning above our receiving dock and harass the truckers.

deep dish peat moss

At my parents house there's an Emerald Cockroach Wasp that lives in the recycling bin and you can watch him bumble around looking for cockroaches to drag into his hole in the ground beneath it

City of Glompton

I just found a whole mushroom growing under my christmas cactus pot at work. it's no clock frog but it was pretty surprising. I guess I overwatered prior to the last three day weekend

super mario batali

Dice-a the Mushroom
Lets not forget the BYOBear :byobear:

Uxzuigal

Chill Berserker Dude

super mario batali posted:

Lets not forget the BYOBear :byobear:

I always bring my own bear.

<3 <3 Vanisher

Admiral_eX_laX

Historically Inaccurate
went into my apartment's bathroom one evening and there on the toilet seat sat a green tree frog. just chillin. don't have any idea how the hell it got into the apartment or into the bathroom for that matter.

so i take a big cup and herd the frog into the cup. and walk past my fiancee in the living room with the frog in the cup. hurriedly open the front door and release the toilet frog into the wild.

fiancee has a phobia of frogs. :(

so she asks me what was in the cup. i told her it was a frog. then she has me sweep the bathroom with a flashlight looking for more toilet frogs.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
*from behind the closed door of the bathroom a toilet can be heard flushing, shortly afterwards the sound of an aerosol air freshener can be heard, the husband and wife look at each other in terror as there should be no one else in the house, slowly the bathroom door creeps open and a tiny tree frog hops out*

alnilam

Luvcow posted:

*from behind the closed door of the bathroom a toilet can be heard flushing, shortly afterwards the sound of an aerosol air freshener can be heard, the husband and wife look at each other in terror as there should be no one else in the house, slowly the bathroom door creeps open and a tiny tree frog hops out*

alnilam

Admiral_eX_laX posted:

fiancee has a phobia of frogs. :(

so she asks me what was in the cup. i told her it was a frog. then she has me sweep the bathroom with a flashlight looking for more toilet frogs.

Why does your fiancée hate my people :mad:

Admiral_eX_laX

Historically Inaccurate

alnilam posted:

Why does your fiancée hate my people :mad:

when she was a child i think it was her cousins who would throw frog parts at her. like, her cousins were brutal children at the time and cut up frogs and threw the frog pieces at her. i guess thats why.

hell i love frogs they're loving cute.

alnilam

Admiral_eX_laX posted:

when she was a child i think it was her cousins who would throw frog parts at her. like, her cousins were brutal children at the time and cut up frogs and threw the frog pieces at her. i guess thats why.

:stonk:

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Admiral_eX_laX posted:

holy poo poo... :stare:

when i was a kid we used to go to a family friends beach house and the side of it was always covered in hundreds if not thousands of wolf spiders, my older brother used to hold me up against the side and laugh at me so that's where i got my fear of spiders but that pales in comparison to your story

MrWillsauce

I have a cousin who has always been really annoying. One time we had an easter egg hunt, so my other cousins and I filled one of the eggs with live crickets and let him find it. Classic.

Robot Made of Meat

City of Glompton posted:

I just found a whole mushroom growing under my christmas cactus pot at work. it's no clock frog but it was pretty surprising. I guess I overwatered prior to the last three day weekend

Shrooms are cool.

FutonForensic

while I was driving out of my apartment lot this morning, a lil lizard appeared on my windshield. rather than let the guy fling off at 40 mph, I parked, got out and shooed it off the car.

my wish is for that little lizard to grow up big and strong, so it can eventually save me with its rippled lizard forearms, when I'm inevitably trapped on someone else's windshield

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

I saw a clockwork horse at the KY horse park yesterday.

Admiral_eX_laX posted:

:stare:

she's gonna be really disappointed when she finds out the wednesday mascot

Apparently I'm #1 Kotori fan

thank you matoi and vanisher for the sigs, lovely dad for the cool av

FutonForensic

found a baby lizard on my car windshield as I was leaving for work. I pulled over so it could jump off

Bhauk
here's a vid of this chair cat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pQMzK1oJKk

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
where im living now there are goats like 200m away. they dont do much except hang around and eat everything. its a relatively newly developed area, and i have seen wild deer, foxes and even one time a moose. right now im staying at a cabin at some island, and there are sheep all over the place. wildlife includes hares, otters, ferrets. sometimes during the year, reindeer flocks pass through for pasturing (is that the right word??).

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
most of these are deadly afraid of people, but the goats seem pretty chill

Robot Made of Meat

Nosfereefer posted:

most of these are deadly afraid of people, but the goats seem pretty chill

Goats are good, despite their evil reputation.

Nosfereefer

Goats are good, despite their evil reputation.

they DO tend to gently caress up any ecology if left unchecked tho. also their evil reputation is p metal

Nosfereefer

i dont want to poo poo on goats, they are strong adaptable herbivores, unassuming, dignified, yet humble beasts

Nosfereefer

goat, for reference:

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Nosfereefer posted:

goat, for reference:

so much love for goats, always wanting to climb as high as they can like the goat you have referenced

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
goats are like nature's parkour athletes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scathach

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

When I was a kid a ringtail cat lived in my parents' porch tool cabinet for a while.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

• Locked thread