Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

MrBlandAverage posted:

I only take the $6 photos I know will be decent

I am curious, how much do you typically reframe a shot before you press the shutter? Like you said with 35mm and even MF I'll usually see something interesting, take a shot, and then go "poo poo, I better try that from another angle." So I end up taking 3-4 of the same subject and picking my favorite in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

elgarbo posted:

I dropped my Mamiya C330s face first into the sand on the beach the other day because I am a careless idiot.

buy my c220 in the buy/sell thread :v:

also the last couple pages have been really good. good job everyone.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

Spedman posted:

Here's too many photos at once:

Loved this whole set when I saw it on flickr this morning

I always wonder, where do you find interiors like this? Another guy I follow on flickr (warren kirk) does a lot of the same kind of style.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Goddamn it, there's a Pentax 6x7 kit with a TTL prism, wooden grip, a 105 2.4 and an 90 2.8 for only $500 CAD in my area right now. If only I wasn't trying to save money.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Mostly because they can and they know people will pay it. If they priced light meters at only slightly above manufacturing cost, they'd make hardly any money at all because the market for them too small. Same goes for many other photo accessories.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

Helen Highwater posted:

It's a fairly distinctive signature once you know to look for it.

Yeah it's kinda funny when you start noticing movies filmed in Kodak Vision 3 (basically portra for motion pictures), or at least movies with a digital filter applied to simulate it.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
*clutches the remaining three rolls of astia 220 i have left*

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I had to work the poo poo out of this in PS just to get it looking halfway correct. The roll it came off of developed slightly pinkish umber instead of the normal healthy orange. No doubt my gently caress up somewhere. Seems like I can only ever get good results from a unicolor c41 kit on the first roll I process through :sigh:

IMG_9485-0 by S M, on Flickr

I used to get wildly varying results too, until I built a temperature controlled water bath. Now every single roll comes out perfect. Even when I was certain my manual temperature control was spot on, it wasn't good enough.

Edit: if your first roll comes out good but subsequent ones don't, you're probably experiencing some kind of contamination between steps.

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 28, 2016

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I bought a heating element from the hardware store and cut a hole in the side of a large bucket and mounted it inside. It's wired up to a temperature controller I got off eBay.

I had mixed results heating to 102 and immediately developing, too. I think there's too much carryover heat and the temp actually continues to rise a little bit during development.

The temperature controller I got has a function that lets you "train" it for your particular set up so that it automatically turns the heater off before the target temp and it coasts the rest of the way.

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 28, 2016

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Finally shot and developed some expired Astia 220 that I bought from some goon earlier 2016. My first time developing E-6 at home :)

edit: I need to dust better

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 3, 2017

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
They came out kinda blue and hazy at first and I was worried I screwed something up, but they cleared up in a few minutes.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
if you want a camera thats not ergonomic check out the pentax 645

hmm im seeing a pattern here

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
After some quick research, apparently even if you shave a 120 spool to fit, it's actually the narrow diameter of the 620 spool shaft that is most critical as it determines the frame spacing. So you might end up with a bunch of overlapped frames. Or frames that are spaced too far apart?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

If that's the Spotmatic F you bought from me, I'm Canadian :)

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
A Graphic View 4x5 camera in good clean condition
Two lenses included, already mounted on boards Graflex Optar 4.7 135mm, Graflex Optar 6.8 90mm
Comes with a back (not sure what this means, looks like it has ground glass and a metal hood)
Comes with 4 film holders
Carrying case included

$250

Is this a good deal?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
yeah it definitely looks like an absurd piece of equipment

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

Thoogsby posted:

Took the 4x5 plunge. Picking up a shen-hao ptb45 + nikkor 150mm f/5.6 later in the week.

What's up new to 4x5 buddy :homebrew::hf: :homebrew:

I just got a Graphic View II monorail which I posted about earlier (maybe in the gear thread?). It's bulky but not nearly as cumbersome as I thought. I'll be able to haul it around without too much difficulty.

It's fitted with an old Graflex back and only came with one film holder. Before I check ebay, does anyone have any Graflex holders they'd be willing to sell for next to nothing? These are the ones with the slots down the side.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Not the most interesting shot but my first attempt at 4x5 was a success. Developed at home using the taco method in a paterson tank.

I really need to get a focusing hood

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Two rather unremarkable landscapes using my Graphic View II 4x5. First one I forgot to stop down after focusing so it;s completely out of focus. They both looked moodier in person and I was hoping that would make up for the lack of decent subject and composition but I was wrong. I think I was just getting anxious to shoot something which is not a good idea most of the time.