Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
So my Pentax 67 has been broken for two years and I decided to replace it with something a lot prettier. I just had to get back into medium format. There's a 55mm f4 on its way.

I also picked up a box of Provia 100f. I know that for slide film you need to be a lot more careful with exposure but are there any specific things I should know about shooting Provia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
I found this lever on my 6X7 that I can't seem to find on any of the manuals online. Is it maybe for using different film formats seeing how its next to the 120/220 switch?
There's a little spring loaded pin that keeps it to one side or the other.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
Welp thanks. Guess I didn't spend enough time looking.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
After a month of my free time I finally finished scanning and editing photos from my vacation to New Zealand and Australia.

NZ-2 by Jordan Brown, on Flickr

NZ-7 by Jordan Brown, on Flickr

NZ-25 by Jordan Brown, on Flickr

NZ-31 by Jordan Brown, on Flickr

NZ-37 by Jordan Brown, on Flickr

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
Finally started developing my own b&w again.

Scan-180124-0008 by Jordan Brown, on Flickr

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

Blackhawk posted:

I should actually have a crack at 3D printing a 6x12 camera sometime. Should be pretty simple to make if I use an LF lens and shutter combo and a lot lighter for the same number of frames as carrying my 4x5 if I want to go on more strenuous hikes. Not sure if I should just go with fixed infinity focus or try to have some kind of zone focus helicoid.

I found this working 6x12 design on Thingiverse that I've been meaning to print. The only real issue I can see on it is with film flatness as you can tell from the sample shots. If you have some CAD ability you might be able to optimize it.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2852935

There was also the suspiciously similar yet seemingly better designed K-pan 6x14 that showed up on some photo blogs and an unsuccessful Kickstarter. I could never find any files to print it unfortunately.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/paulhausen/k-pan-the-3d-printed-panoramic-camera?ref=nav_search

If you're interested in 3d printing cameras in general you should check out Dora Goodman Cameras https://www.doragoodman.com/. Completely free designs including a zone focusing camera based around mamiya press lenses, also two different focusable 6x7 cameras using rb67 magazines and large format lenses. One of those two even has some limited view camera movements.

Edit:
After a little more googling I found this set of files for a 6x12 on etsy for $30. It includes a ton of different models for lens cones and and its designed to use a m65 to m65 helicoid. The sample shots look really promising too. Tbh this might be the one I print.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/790289977/the-kraken-612-3d-printable-panoramic?ref=shop_home_active_1&crt=1

Ziggy Smalls fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Dec 26, 2020

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
I've got all of the parts of my 6x12 camera 3d printed. Now I'm just waiting for the focusing helical and the Rodenstock 90mm lens I bought to show up in the mail.

Im also going to paint the interiors matte black and add some light seals.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

eggsovereasy posted:

How are you going to focus it, ground glass on the back?

Just like Ansel said you calibrate the lens with a groung glass on the film plane in conjunction with a rangefinder if you have one. The guy who designed the camera just uses paper wrapped around the helical with distance markings to know where he's focused to but I'd like to make something more solid. Maybe a 3d printed ring with the markings engraved in and filled with paint.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

Blackhawk posted:

Also thanks for the inspiration, I've been meaning to try some 6x12 for ages and never got around to it but that Kraken camera looks good and I'm close to dropping the hammer on a 90mm lens and helicoid. Already have the printer and some black filament so pretty good to go, and it would be a lot lighter than my 4x5 setup if I want to hike a long way or take it mountaineering or something.

I'm excited someone else might pull the trigger too! What I really wanna do is take some panoramic star trail shots with mine. I did a single attempt with provia 100f in my pentax 67 years ago that came out great for a first try.

I'm on my phone so I only have a low res file but you get the idea.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
Little tip for anyone 3D printing a camera. Make sure the backside of your lens fits inside your lens cone before you pay 300$ for it.

I had to grind out some of the interior of my lens cone. Good thing I made it 50% infill and 5 shells

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

Blackhawk posted:

I'm surprised that the rear element of your lens would fit through the helicoid but not the cone? Unless the rear element doesn't fit through the helicoid and you have to assemble the lens into it?

Edit: The topcon 90mm I chose has a pretty small rear element which should fit inside the helicoid easily, but that's mostly because it's really intended to be a medium format lens with movements, so it just covers 6x12 but wouldn't cover 4x5. The large format lenses I looked at seemed very limited by the ~62mm bore of the helicoid.

The 90mm f6.8 Rodenstock Grandagon-N has a 61mm rear element. I haven't received my helicoid yet but I'm pretty sure I'll have to assemble the lens onto it.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

My 6x12 camera is fully assembled. Now I'm just waiting on my ebay purchased accessory rangefinder to show up.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

eggsovereasy posted:

yeah i don't even know what i'm looking at and that's fun

Looks like the crystals that form with zinc when you hot dip galvanize steel sheet. I always thought it was pretty.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
Are you shooting with 20x24 sheet film?

Also i looked up that Zeiss lens and its image circle is a meter. :aaaaa:

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

Ethics_Gradient posted:

What have other people's experiences been when confronted with baggage screeners who want to either open a box of film/film back, or put it through the xray scanner?

Also bit of a longshot except for the Rittreck (which I know a poster in this thread has) on DIY repair questions:
  • Any particular type of black paint for the sides of lens elements? I didn't have a suction cup so banged up the flocking on one of the elements of the Schneider convertible I was servicing when I was going to put it back in.
  • Anyone taken apart a Hasselblad 250mm Sonnar? I was starting from the most logical point (nameplate ring) but that sucker did NOT want to budge. I have a proper lens spanner.
  • Rittreck 6x9 - have not really tried anything on this yet, but the shutter curtain seems to be kinda fouling the mirror at the very top. It seems pretty straightforward to get into so I'm going to have a poke around in the next week or two, just wondering if there is anything to watch out for in particular.

I dont have experience with sheet film but i went on a trip to New Zealand and Australia a few years back with zero problems. For 120 rolls I left the plastic packaging on the fresh ones and made a point to finish any rolls left in my camera so it could be scanned worry free. I also kept all the rolls shot or not inside the original paper 5 roll package. Those packages were inside a ziplock bag to easily take out of my carry on while going through security. Half the time theyd swab one of the boxes and that was it.

As for paint theres always basic matte black rustoleum which I used for the inside of my 6x12 3d printed camera. If you wanna go fancier you could try that super light absorbing Black 2.0 paint but i doubt its durable.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Tell me about your 6x12 camera! I am in the process of printing the Berg 6x17 right now; farmed out the bellows to eTone in China to the tune of US$90 because I know mine would turn out horrible and I know they do good work. I spent this afternoon trying to cut the ground glass from a broken 8x10 plate and then wasted a perfectly good one before giving up and calling a framer, for :10bux: my problem is solved. Is something I want to learn though, need to keep an eye out for a stained glass windowmaking workshop or something.

I found an article about a camera design called the Kraken 6x12 and the creator was selling all the files for $30. The design uses a focusing helical you can easily buy on ebay and that alone sold me on it cause every other design I saw was fixed focus or used bellows. It also came with lens cones for focal lengths ranging all the way from 58-180mm.

After printing the camera I found a now seemingly defunct camera company on Ebay called Fotoman that sold this incredible universal viewfinder. It used interchangeable masks that slotted into the viewfinder so it could work with almost every film size and focal length combo. They made some pretty nuts modular film cameras so its sad they shut down. Thinking about it now I bet they were trying to be a more affordable version of Alpa but that niche is so tiny as it is. Check this 4x5 camera out:

Despite being so relatively thin it still had rise and fall movements.

I have some light leaks to iron out but its pretty solid and the focus seems consistent enough across the frame for my hobbyist use.

I've got a small vacation next week so I'm hoping I'll be able to shoot a roll or two.

Ziggy Smalls fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Aug 6, 2022

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

Ethics_Gradient posted:

That is so cool! What lens are you using on it? Bellows definitely add another potential point of failure/jank; I got pretty ordinary results with the 35mm panoramic camera I tried to make out of a Nimslo, macro rail, and 6x9 folder bellows back in uni. I'd like another crack at it using a helicoid and 3D printer to make a lens cone like your camera, but with what Nimslo's cost these days, don't think I can justify butchering another one.

That viewfinder sounds really handy! Does it get really croppy with smaller sizes/longer focal lengths, or is it still pretty usable? I definitely remember the Fotoman brand, didn't know they'd gotten out of the business. With the rise of 3D printers there are a few other people making highly modular systems (Dora Goodman's comes to mind, but I've seen a few others).

If you've got time, I'd love to see the film travel mechanism, pressure plate, anything like that. The guy who designed the 6x17 I'm working on seems to get really good results (he posted high res scans) but it almost seems too good to be true with how simple it is. He mentioned adding some foam to push against the spools to help keep tension on the film, which I'm gonna try.

I bought a 90mm f6.8 Rodenstock Grandagon-n off of ebay. I wish i had gotten something wider for landscapes though.

The viewfinder is great but yeah i imagine it has issues when you get to longer focal lengths. I have the mask for 6x12/90mm and only plan to use it for even wider lenses.

The travel mechanism and film plane setup is incredibly simple. Its just a combination of built in tension on the winding knobs and the film being sandwiched between the back cover plus a pair of flat rims at the top/bottom edges. You keep track of your frame count via a small hole on the back cover which lets you see the numbers printed on the 120 roll's paper backing.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

frogbs posted:

I think 120 counts as medium format everywhere?

I dont 6x4.5 counts though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

frogbs posted:

Personally anything larger than 35mm = Medium Format. 6x4.5 is much larger than 35, so I think it's worthy of being 'medium'.

My first 120 camera was a 645 bronica so I can say that.