Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

ansel autisms posted:

Building or art?

What is this, an art for ants?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

BANME.sh posted:

Goddamn it, there's a Pentax 6x7 kit with a TTL prism, wooden grip, a 105 2.4 and an 90 2.8 for only $500 CAD in my area right now. If only I wasn't trying to save money.

Do it. Make sure it has the MLU.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I don't think there is anything wrong with seeing the great shots people post in this thread and being excited about the format as a result; it just can come off as gear worship to an extent or some manner of assertion that the quality of the photos seen are due to the gear and not the person behind the lens.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

alkanphel posted:

Also TLRs are huge chick magnets, as I've discovered.

They're also huge fat balding engineer magnets though?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

If it was made today

e: from work with an online version of ps but the idea gets across

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The XKCD Larper posted:

I have a Pentax 6X7 body (the big rear end SLR kind) that's probably only good for parts, if anyone wants to PayPal me for the shipping.

You should check KEH they might give you a fair bit of change still.

e: If that chain thing is still intact it's definitely worth something.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Aug 18, 2016

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

quote:

Goodbye to Kodachrome....
Dwayne’s Photo Service in Kansas USA was the last Kodachrome processor in the world but, sadly, he unplugged his machine for good on Thursday December 30 '10. After 75 years, we say goodbye to Kodachrome and it's now become part of the history of photography.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Some shots from the 67 xposted from landscape thread.

Portra 6x7 (3 of 6) by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

Portra 6x7 (4 of 6) by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Aug 23, 2016

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

somnambulist posted:

Wasn't sure where to post this--

In the Canon thread I was asking about the 5dsr because I've reached a point in my large prints where I'm not super happy with the results.

Well, I think I want to step into medium format, and after a lot of research and finding something that suits my style and needs, the new Hasselblad X1D seems to be something MAYBE feasible.

You guys have been very helpful, I'd love to get some insight on the pros and cons of a mirrorless medium format camera. Overall, it looks fantastic, and while mirrorless on full frame cameras can make them "slow", Medium format isn't exactly a rapid fire kind of photography anyways, so it doesn't seem to be an issue.

Help me out goons!

What is it that you're unhappy with from the 5dsr? I could see the low light performance being poor at 50mp due to the size of the sensor pixels or w/e but that's more what you sacrifice to get a sensor with that resolution. I would assume also the lens ecosystem for that X1D is ludicrous in it's cost.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Thoogsby posted:

a boring rear end tree pic

I didn't like this photo at first and now I really like it. I think it reminds me of something, it has a homely WW2 era feel to it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Perfect username/post

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Honestly something like that I'd bet some rich orkan executive rear end in a top hat would pay good money for to have in his office.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

*Guy Fieri taking too big a bite of something and it spills into his goatee and they cut in the sound of a lovely car doing a burnout*

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Liking ektar more than I thought I would.

Piss by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

BEIJING by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Those are very filmic for sure. Really like it. Although I think the horizon may be off on the second one.

E: anyone know A Guy who repairs Pentax 67s? My shutter isn't actuating reliably at speeds faster than 1/250. There is a local repair guy here in Vancouver but he doesn't have parts. So I guess I'm looking for a (differently) broken 67 as well.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Nov 6, 2016

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah I emailed him, he got back to me to say it should be less than $300 USD. Hope so.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'd just open the back , make sure the back swings fully open and then close it again, wind it again as this will reset the counter, and go from there accepting that you're going to lose 2-4 shots. I'm not sure why the lever would stop there.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Erostratus posted:

I'm really having trouble focusing my Pentax67. The lines are just so hard to see and i can't really tell if things are perfectly in focus, just kinda focused. What's the secret?

For example:

Guy at Mini Mart by Kyle Sonnenberg, on Flickr

Use the DoF preview lever thing on the lens, helps a bunch.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I've never been as deeply in a rut as sludge describes but when I notice I haven't been out shooting for a month or so I try to give myself some kind of project or constraint to give purpose to the shooting itself. Sometimes I look at other people's photos (I basically only favorite things on flickr for this reason) that I like and think about why I like them and get motivated to produce content, or I tell myself I'm going to put my gear in the car and drive to ____ and try to keep my eyes open for a good shot.

There's no reason to force yourself to shoot or to feel bad about not shooting. The equipment will be there when you're ready to dive back in and in the meantime maybe you could look for a good book to get into, new musical artist, etc.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Posting from work as a respiratory therapist to say sick inhaled corticosteroid in the first pic.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

aricoarena posted:

Every time someone posts something from a Pentax 6x7 I really want one. I got the chance to hold one today and wow it's big, I knew it was big but gently caress is it hella big. Kind of tempered that want a little bit.

FYI I love mine but went out shooting with a goon and it rained on us and it was a $550 CAD repair.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

This is Meiji shrine right? I loved that place. Probably the most serene part of my entire Japan trip.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I tripod my 67 because it only adds like 20% to the overall weight I'm carrying and I don't shoot higher than 400 ISO.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I was out and about with an RB67 today. Definitely shot a lot at 1/60, and wasn't carrying a tripod. The mirror feels very well-dampened, but I was using MLU and a cable release threaded around the left-hand grip anyway because it's easy enough. Even though the RB is an unwieldy brick (although less so with the older 90/3.8), it feels like steady hands could probably take the shutter speed down to 1/30 handheld and not induce too much vibration. The leaf shutter is like a whisper.

I've wondered how much more ergonomic the P67 is in the field. I can't imagine that the RB with the 90mm lens and a WLF is any heavier than a P67 with normal lens and eye-level prism. But throw the 65mm K/L and metered prism onto the RB and it's a goddamn hog.

The P67 is a really unergonomic camera, ironically it's worse with the grip since that's the side you're focusing/adjusting shutter speed with so you can never really use it. The base of the camera is full of square edges and it's heavy obviously. The eye-level prisms on the 67 are super heavy because glass etc.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah and sold for a hundred bucks

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I feel honestly like it's just a matter of someone deciding that you're good enough (or you working hard enough to get your art out there) and using connections and networking for someone to become a ~professional artist~ in most visual mediums. I've seen loads of garbage art from professionals and lots of stuff from amateurs that I would suggest would be more acclaimed by people had they not already bought into the professional's work because people have told them that this is a professional artist look at what they've done here.

You see this in literature quite a bit - once someone is published or has a few great pieces of work out there it's like they get put on infallible creative tenure and all new work is appreciated on the basis of the writing which drove them to success.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

If the shutter speed adjustment was on the right I'd agree but you have to take your hand off the grip to adjust this on the left side. I basically shoot with a tripod no matter what anyways.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yeah, the trick is you just shoot "shutter priority". You set it to something reasonable for your lens (bearing in mind that things can get funky below 1/60th), and you carry it around like that. Then when you see a shot you just zero the meter using the aperture, or if your scene isn't at neutral grey overall (for an averaging meter) you tweak the exposure comp or just aim the meter a little above or below neutral.

If you have a second to frame your shot/etc you can also just take your hand off the shutter release and dial in whatever shutter speed adjustment you need. It's really not like reaching over for a second to tweak the dial is a big deal in comparison to being able to effortlessly hold a 10 pound camera.

That's always how it works: you can either be Henri Cartier-Bresson and compensate your exposure with your print, or you can get the good exposure and settle for it taking maybe 1/4 second to set up. Welcome to manual SLRs. If you don't like it, buy a P67ii and an AE pentaprism, that way you can blame autoexposure when your negatives don't turn out like you imagined they would.

edit: Also as someone with big hands, the shutter speed adjustment is actually within reach of my left hand even when it's on the grip, I just shift weight to my right hand for a sec and lean my thumb over a bit. I really think you may just have tiny trump hands.

Eh I use the aperture for ~creative control~ of the image. Like I said a tripod solves all these issues. I do love the camera and I'm not complaining about it. I wear the largest stocked size gloves at my work so I don't think it's a hand size thing. I'll usually frame and set aperture depending on what DoF I want, then dial in the shutter speed.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

If you can't look at a scene and have some conceptual idea of what aperture you might like to shoot that scene at, maybe you aren't ready to shoot medium format yet. Full disclosure: it's a buck a frame, developed cost.

Also, if a half stop either way on the aperture would kill your ~creative control~, and you are unable to adapt to this with your technical expertise on how to work a camera: you need a shutter priority camera, and also to not be shooting medium format yet.

The P67 is not any more complex than a K1000. That's the 35mm comparison: it's a big K1000 that shoots 6x7 negatives, and that's a camera that literally every photo student has shot for the last 40 years. But not everyone is cracked up to shoot a K1000, even as simple as that is. Some people need program modes to do everything for them. But you're not going to fool anyone in this thread by pretending a K1000 is some complex monster. It's got a meter built in, that makes it easier than 95% of the medium format cameras on the market.

(double extra pro-tip: learn sunny-16 and you can predict the exposures you're going to take even without picking up a meter, and then you have a free second to tweak the shutter speed dial, because it's literally just "that's a shady area under a tree", "that's a beach", etc)

Again, I don't want to encourage anyone to not do medium format, it's easy, literally as easy as 35mm, that's the point here. Go ahead and buy The Big K1000 (tm), or a TLR, or whatever. "It's Easy Enough Your Conservative Dad Figured It Out 50 Years Ago". And he didn't even have the Internet to help.

Not really sure what you're talking about? Nobody is saying it's hard to use. All I'm saying is that I agree with the popular opinion that the handle isn't that great. I know how to use a camera thanks. I dunno if you aren't reading my posts or if your dad worked on the assembly line making Pentax 67 handles and so you're incensed by my assertion that it should be on the other side with a shutter release built in.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

You're buying 4x5 gear without any solid intent to buy a 4x5 camera? Why?

e: Like what if you now find a great deal on a 4x5 with holders etc

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Apt by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

Window Mood by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

Because f22 by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Choicecut posted:

Well, I hope I did good. I just bought a late model Pentax 67 with the later 105mm 2.8 for $650 bucks. I was really on the fence for a 67 or a C330, but lust finally won over. I will be broke after I buy some Portra 400 and black & white off Amazon, so I'll have to hold off on getting a light meter. Guess it's sunny 16 for awhile or lug around an extra camera. So worried It's gonna get here and be a pile of junk or need all kinds of work right off the bat:

Please feel free to flame my worries and call me a moran.

Edit: Apparently the big wooden dick handle is not cool?

You can get metering prisms for these, and you should.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Choicecut posted:

I may get one down the road when the budget permits. Are they pretty accurate?

They are but they're matrix only.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Buildings, alleys, trails, rocks, caves, doorways, interiors; street-level stuff. I'm trying to document an urban creek. It runs a couple of miles through a built-up CBD, in a cut that's 15-20' below street level in some places. Also want to do some interior shots of high-rise lobbies in the same area.

I say I need a view wider than 65 degrees, but really, 90 degrees is maybe too wide. 75 to 85 degrees is the ideal range I'm looking for. Another reason I haven't just grabbed an SWC.

The RB 65 is just almost wide enough. It's pretty big, though. Ideally, I'd get something that's wider and lighter.

This looks a lot like the inside of a military base.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Did you do anything to change/add to the natural lighting for that shot sludge?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Ektar tones

Creek by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

Alley by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

sildargod posted:

Our wedding season is starting to pick up a little and I'd like to get a medium format setup to complement my kit.

There's a Pentax 67 with a 55/3.5, 105/2.4, 150/2.8 and 75/4.5 available for $700 that I've found. Would I be mad looking at this setup? it's clearly seen some years and the seller has noted that it will probably need a service, would I be missing anything blindingly obvious with it?

To be honest yes that's way too expensive for a camera which is almost certainly broken - why else would the seller include that disclosure? My 67 repair for what it's worth cost me $350 although that included replacement of some electrical components.

Make sure when you're buying a 67 that it has MLU, and make sure it has some kind of warranty. I take it you're shooting the 67 in addition to some DSLRs but it'd still be nice to not worry about it being broken when you're doing weddings.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

sildargod posted:

That's what I'd figured. It will be in combination with my fuji kit, I'm too dumb a photographer to risk taking on a wedding with only film!

There's a way cheaper rb67 pro s with a 127/3.5 that I think I will test the waters with, seems in far far better condition.

They're completely different cameras with completely different styles of shooting (P67 is basically a large SLR in terms of handholding/tripod level, while you'd be shooting the rb67 at waist level) so you might not find it very indicative of a p67 experience to try the rb67. Why not pick up a from-Japan P67 with MLU on ebay with warranty? I did and I have been very happy with it. My repair was only made necessary by the fact I took it out in the rain like a moron.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

First time shooting Provia. Made some mistakes and learned a lot about how I should have exposed it.

80s Aesthetic storefront by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

Magenta? by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

Commercial Benches by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Finished scanning in a few more provia shots.

Battlement by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

Reflection Series UBC by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

Stairway 150/2.8 test by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr