Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I have a phone app that overlays bounding boxes for the focal lengths of my LF lenses. This is a great help in deciding where to put up the tripod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Awkward Davies posted:

Holy poo poo people and buildings TOGETHER

I dont know if you know this about the person pic you posted but that person is pretty clearly in a building

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
the one on the right is prettier, honeywell prism 4lyfe

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

I like the atmosphere here but it feels like it's lacking something. It's like the scene would be prime for a Crewdson style portrait.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

quote:

Hello valued member of I Shoot Film.
https://www.flickr.com/groups/ishootfilm

We are sorry to inform you that your submission to our flickr group was rejected because you did not follow the posted rules on using one way or another to indicate it was shot on film.
We can not just go by looks alone as there are so many post processing programs out there that mimic film including adding sprocket holes to the edge.
Here is a link to the rules for I Shoot Film.
https://www.flickr.com/groups/ishootfilm/rules/

Also there is a sticky thread that boils it down to a few words.
https://www.flickr.com/groups/ishootfilm/discuss/72157649477992349/

We thank you for being a member of I Shoot film and hope that you will follow the posted rules. If there is a language barrier we can also provide a translation in most languages.

Thank you
I shoot Film Moderator

:owned:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Also, the fact that this dude will attack me every time I post makes me think I get attacked for posting in the dorkroom.

Have you considered not posting like a 12 year old? The people who are being "dicks" are right, you are looking at film as a magic bullet not an aesthetic or procedural choice. If you think you can't take similar pictures on a "lovely crop rebel" to any other camera then you aren't gonna gain much by buying into medium or large format. The only difference is now your bad photos cost $3 a piece. If you want to shoot film go right ahead but you better have deep pockets. Sure film gets you a few things not available on your "lovely crop rebel" such as a shallow DOF from the larger medium, the better highlight roll off of Portra, the tonality of a larger capture medium, and the simplicity of a chosen color palette. Depending on what you shoot and how you present your work the differences can be minimized, not every exposure needs to be on the bleed edge of the format war. In fact if you can tell me which photos in my portfolio were shot with mf/lf and which ones were on a 16mp Fuji crop camera I'll eat my own rear end.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
" take a dump on that bratwurst fella for no reason"

New thread title pls mods

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

owns

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRcmF50Qh1M

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

The XKCD Larper posted:

I bought a lens and they shipped it to the wrong address. They gave me a full refund after I called them. I drove to the house that it went to and it was on the porch, so I took it, used it for a little while, then sold it on eBay.

I once bought an LF lens from their ebay store marked as "UG - not functional" just for the lens cells but it turns out no one at KEH knows how to cock and fire an ilex shutter and it was totally fine.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Awkward Davies posted:

So my girlfriends father just gave me a roll of Kodachrome 64, and a couple rolls of Ektachrome (100 and 200 speed). The Kodachrome expired 1988 but it's been in a fridge. What are the chances it's still shootable, and can you even get it developed anywhere?

There's a dude on etsy that will develop it for like $50
https://www.etsy.com/shop/PiratelogyStudios

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I'm gonna rush out and give the dude my kodachrome but I am keeping an eye on it just incase he get's it right at some point. I have 2 rolls of K64 and one of K25 in my freezer that arrived too late from ebay to get dewayned back in the day.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Im seriously tempted to try this, even if its mediocre at best i would have died knowing i shot at least one roll of Kodachrome.

I shot a bunch in the early '00s it was trash but then again so was I.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Wild EEPROM posted:

Not a lot has changed I see

Im worse now tbh

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

nice posting station

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Awkward Davies posted:

I mean that's totally possible, too. Maybe I didnt advance it so the arrows on the film lined up with that of the camera before closing the back? I don't know.

(I mean, user error is much more likely here, I'm just not sure how that would have happened).

Or your camera is out of alignment, the frame spacing doesn't look consistent on the strip you posted. If the camera is eating up extra space you would end up with half a frame at the end.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Sludge Tank posted:

That's cool. What's the story there?

That's the large format forums hq, dukeku bravely took a photo as we all got banned.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Yond Cassius posted:

Which one of you goons was carrying a big Fuji rangefinder around PAX today?

I went to a gas station with mine. It was in north Seattle though, I wouldn't be caught dead at PAX.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Awkward Davies posted:

Yeah I gotta do that.

It's more that I suck at doing the mental work of "super dark and super light in the same image, okay, what should I be metering for, cause if I meter for this...etc etc". Basically I'm bad at photography 101.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Excellent-Voigtlander-VC-Meter-II-BLACK-from-Japan-123657-/331944160215?hash=item4d4969ebd7:g:5ygAAOSwgZ1XtX0V

Is also a good choice.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Paul MaudDib posted:

A heads-up about Alpenhause Camera/Steven Icanberry.
LFF has a "no commentary" policy on seller advisories (literally nothing but the exact communications that occurred between you and the seller) and he's apparently rules-lawyered this to get the complaints taken down after he pitches his fit.

LFF has a lot of policies on what you can and cant say, most of us are banned from there after an incident involving moderator censorship. Basically if alpenhause is on their good ol'boys list you wouldn't be allowed to complain about him anyway.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Paul MaudDib posted:

New message from Steven Icanberry/Alpenhause! :buddy:

brb paypaling him 5 dollars to see what wins out his hatred of paypal or his greed.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Primo Itch posted:

Can you separate the shutter from the rest of the camera? Sometimes leaving it in a bath of ligther fluid for a day or two with intermittent agitation, then letting everything evaporate works for fixings old shutters. Note that this is usually for large format shutters where you can separate them from everything else in the camera...

The lighter fluid trick is really only a stop gap measure on the way to a CLA. The naphtha dissolves the gummed up lubricant which causes the sticking but an unlubricated shutter will eventually fail again,

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
A side benefit of the C lenses is that they are smaller than the later CF ones. I had a beat to hell t* C lens and it was extremely compact (for a medium format SLR).

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Ugh if I wasnt selling my 8x10 I would.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Yond Cassius posted:

What are you selling, if I may ask?

It's a B&J monorail with a long and a short rail, 12 inch commercial ektar, 215mm caltar, 5 holders, some xray film, a hood, and unicolor drum setup. I'm looking to sell it as a kit or keep it all though.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

alkanphel posted:

Hasselblad SWC

or if you are into rectangles the Fuji GSW690.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I never tried the wood handle on my p67 because it's a big SLR why wouldn't you just hold it like a reg SLR and use your left hand as support? Nope better grab this idiot handle and make my expensive negative machine less stable. Also shutter priority is stupid.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Awkward Davies posted:

Us in a motel room by spike mccue, on Flickr

Times Square by spike mccue, on Flickr

Midtown NYC by spike mccue, on Flickr

Unsure if these were shot correctly. Worried my MF Credentials will be revoked and my cameras repossessed. All I can do is wait I guess.

lol at the "120mm" tag

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

akadajet posted:

Probably not the cause, but I'm curious about what you scanned them with.

a fender stratocaster

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

SMERSH Mouth posted:

A lot of the Rolleiflexes I see for sale have a selenium cell light meter below the brand mark on the front. Those are all pretty much non-functioning (or at least inaccurate) these days, right? Just use a separate meter, or follow your heart, but don't GAF about the integrated meter. Often the listings don't say anything about their functionality, one way or another.

Never trust a selenium cell meter unless you bought it brand new and have thoroughly tested it.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Wild EEPROM posted:

If it doesn't say anything it's broken.
If it says functioning it's probably not accurate.
If it says MINT++++ A++ it's broken.

True. As a professional eBay auction lister (for all of two weeks) nearly every camera we list is put up as "not tested". Unless it comes across my desk as I'm the only vintage camera guy on staff, then I'll check the shutter and light seals but still list stuff as "not extensively tested".

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Primo Itch posted:

Which would be a great excuse to finally get one Koni Omega as I've always dreamed about... I'll give this some more thought, thanks guys :)

Koni Omegas own

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

You should move to Hawaii. Two reasons, it's much farther from where I live and your pictures of there don't suck as much as your other ones

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Choicecut posted:

They suck equally, possibly even more, don't kid yourself. I wouldn't be able to stalk you if I moved away either.

You don't live near me, it's just that Hawaii is farther away. Yes I keep a google map of noted bad posters and their relative locations to my posting throne, what of it?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I had an ebay alert setup for the 135 when I had one, no luck.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
nope that owns

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

sildargod posted:

Our wedding season is starting to pick up a little and I'd like to get a medium format setup to complement my kit.

There's a Pentax 67 with a 55/3.5, 105/2.4, 150/2.8 and 75/4.5 available for $700 that I've found. Would I be mad looking at this setup? it's clearly seen some years and the seller has noted that it will probably need a service, would I be missing anything blindingly obvious with it?

Unless you are a seasoned MF shooter I don't recommend you get a complicated kit to use at weddings. Get one camera and one lens. My recommendation is a Fuji gw690. It's simple, sharp as hell, runs about $300 online, and gives you a huge negative. The downside is that that it's got an f/3.5 lens, it's a rangefinder, and it doesn't focus particularly close (it won't let you do tight face shots but head and shoulders would be fine).

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 14, 2017

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Sludge Tank posted:

You know you're getting somewhere when your actual photos almost get as many instagram likes as the photos of your cameras

You know you are getting somewhere when your photos get as many likes as snapshots of your dog (I'm getting nowhere)

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Well can sort of be answered. The Rodenstock will probably be fine stopped down to working apertures (f/22 or deeper) both them and Schneider tended to be quite conservative in their official measurement of the image circle because of possible loss of resolution at the edges and corners that no sane person would ever notice. For instance I owned a Schneider 240mm that technically only just covered 8x10 but I never ran out of image with modest movements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
what kind of festering hellhole do you live in that kids with the whitest possible names write procatholic graffiti on windows? also please tell me you were the one that wrote "poop"