Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Junior Jr. posted:

Genesplicer, can I please re-open my thread? I promise we're just going to poo poo on the reboot and nothing else...also I want to overtake the CD thread at this point.

Lots of womyn must be voting because Ghostbusters has climbed from 3.8 to 4.3 on IMDB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

They should remake Major League with Amy Schumer, Melissa McCarthy, and fill out the cast with SNL alumni.

The team could be renamed to the Cleveland Native Americans

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Remember when all the cashins used to be sequels

Well what if -- *leans forward at conference room table conspiratorially* What if I told you you could make a sequel without having to deal with the plot issues of discrete chapters within a larger narrative that make sense both individually and as a whole? What if you didn't have to write a new plot at all? *clicks forward in PowerPoint presentation*

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
They are not remaking Buckaroo Banzai

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

But I am, in my head and my heart every time I load up the VHS

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
The Hollywood machine keeps on churning, as the rebels steal the plans at the end of rouge one the Star Wars movie

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

Nope, we're getting a TV series written by Kevin Smith instead

http://screenrant.com/adventures-of-buckaroo-banzai-tv-series-kevin-smith/

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

cool runnings but with isis

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Nutmeg posted:

The Hollywood machine keeps on churning, as the rebels steal the plans at the end of rouge one the Star Wars movie

The plans for what?

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004

notZaar posted:

The plans for what?

The plans for the character chirrut imwe of the movie to die at the end

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

notZaar posted:

The plans for what?

In the final scene of Rogue One a young Bothan spy pushes PLAY on a holograph projector and in midair appear the words "STAR WARS: A NEW HOPE, Scene 1: Leia Organa's blockade-runner hurtles through space, pursued by an Imperial Star Destroyer..."

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Nutmeg posted:

The plans for the character chirrut imwe of the movie to die at the end

Churro what? What in the hell are you taking about?

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
When are Disney remaking The Black Hole?

I meant the movie, not the landfill where all their merchandise go.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Junior Jr. posted:

When are Disney remaking The Black Hole?

Right now
http://movieweb.com/tron-3-and-the-black-hole-updates-from-director-joseph-kosinski/

Edit: the only poo poo from the 70s/80s that isn't in the process of being remade is stuff like Back To The Future where the original creator has said "gently caress you, you're not remaking it while I'm alive and I'm instructing my estate to block all attempts to remake it"

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 15, 2016

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Dosney fired the rogue one director because he wanted to make it interesting

client
Aug 19, 2010

Uncle Wemus posted:

Dosney fired the rogue one director because he wanted to make it interesting

he made the new godzilla so that was probably a good idea tbh

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

notZaar posted:

Churro what? What in the hell are you taking about?

I like churros

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

client posted:

he made the new godzilla so that was probably a good idea tbh

fatzilla was rly cute tho

his lil stubby arms :3:

client
Aug 19, 2010

fatzilla owned for the 12 minutes that he was in the movie. the kid from kickass on the other hand was really bad and should not have been the focus of the movie

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I like how people are trying to say the original ghostbusters wasnt good

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Fatzilla is the nickname of the 2014 Godzilla monster? That thing was loving huge with a tiny head, it was the Rob Liefield of giant monsters.

BirryJoru
Mar 21, 2012

GRAMAGEDDON ISN'T OVER YET. SORRY.-RA TEHUTI :smuggo::smug::smugdon::grin::parrot:
cannot wait for Austin Powers 4 taking place in the 80's starring Seth Green as Dr. Evil Jr.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
poo poo I just realized a big budget Magic School Bus movie is an inevitability.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Applewhite posted:

poo poo I just realized a big budget Magic School Bus movie is an inevitability.

People have been crying out for it
http://www.themovienetwork.com/article/why-live-action-magic-school-bus-should-come-next

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I don't know if we really have any old 80s/90s/00s properties that can be rebooted out of nostalgia anymore. The stuff we remade from the 50s-80s seemed to have that bit where they had years of becoming cult and pop culture icons, but with the 80s-onward stuff, the really popular things never felt like they hit that same sweet spot of partially forgotten/partially remembered.

The things that DID though have been remade, already.

That being said, Gremlins.

It's one of the last 80s properties that is popular enough to maybe pull off, and I can see a Gremlins remake nearly throwing out or changing the entirety of the old film series, even the design and gimmicks of the mogwai and gremlins, and just turn it into a sinister sort of Pokemon-type thing.

Gizmo now looks sort of more like a cuter, more Pikachu-rodent thing, Gremlins are now various 'types' (ala Gremlins 2 -- but based more on what they ate, what kind of water they got wet with, what part of Gizmo's body got wet, how much water, etc.) The movie gets all sorts of messages about modern collectables-style consumer culture, etc.

edit: Gremlins would probably kick rear end in the international box office if remade today since you're sort of free to do a lot of stuff. Gremlin dance number, they'd change the Gremlins probably evaporate into War of the Worlds powder in sunlight rather than melt to be safer for all audiences, you'd be able to cast a bunch of young teen actors and kids, wacky fight scenes and physical comedy, etc.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 15, 2016

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Was caddyshack 80s or 70s

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Chris Columbus was talking up the Gremlins reboot last year while he was shilling for Pixels:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH1WnUe-EHw

... but there hasn't been a lot of news since then

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Gremlins is a project I think could piss people off as much with a reboot (or more so) than Ghostbusters because in this day and age you're going to make everything CG, you're going to be probably going to be changing the tone of the film a lot to try to sell it to more family/international and popular tastes.

Like I said, the only real way i could see them redoing it would be to focus on some of the modern collecting/Pokemon pop-culture as a backdrop to the film which might be fine and could be good, but the fans of the original would be pissed off because they'd changed something. But the thing is, I think doing that could work. There is sort of a consumerism subtext to the original films, and a massive change in the film to match the same massive change in consumer/toy habits of the last decade I think could work.

BirryJoru
Mar 21, 2012

GRAMAGEDDON ISN'T OVER YET. SORRY.-RA TEHUTI :smuggo::smug::smugdon::grin::parrot:
Gremlins 2: the sequel to a movie that didn't need a sequel

the director said something along those lines at one point

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

Remaking Mr. Smith Goes To Washington only with Donald Trump as the title character.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'm theoretically ok with a Gremlins reboot, because I have never seen Gremlins and so a new Gremlins movie would basically just be a new movie to me :)

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Paul Fieg posted:

Poor men. You hear them at the office, in restaurants, in bars, their brains filled with meaningless facts about sports, cars and electronics as they entertain friends with their endless jokes about genitalia and bathroom activities, not to mention their humorous accusations as to the sexual orientation of their conversation partners. They loudly amuse themselves by hurling insults and epithets -- the words "dick," "balls" and "rear end" being the etymological anchors of their attacks -- all for the express purpose of making one another laugh. They seem to be having such a great time that you'd feel like a monster alerting them to this one unfortunate fact: Men just aren't funny.

Oh, sure, there are men who truly make us laugh. None come to mind at the moment, but I know history has provided us with a few. Euripides was sort of a jokester. English poet John Donne got off a corker every once in a while. But in general, the male species' sense of humor seldom rises above the enjoyment of watching one of their own take a swift shot to the testicles.

It makes sense. Men are genetically programmed to hunt and gather. It is they who must impregnate the herd and protect the collective. And so it's only logical that their brains would need to possess lower humor standards in order to pass the hours entertainingly with their cohorts while stalking that night's dinner or standing guard against the enemy. Imagine if they had to amuse their fellow warriors with jokes and banter that were actually funny. That impossibly high standard would leave them in such despair that they would become easy prey. Imagine the despondent hero, now tribeless, wandering the wastelands and muttering in tragic self-awareness, "I can't believe I thought those limericks about that guy from Nantucket were funny."

And so nature has provided humankind with two biological safeguards: 1) an intellectual anomaly that allows males to believe that they and their friends are funny, and 2) a survival instinct that impels women to laugh at men's jokes. As long as the men feel good about themselves, no matter how delusionary those feelings may be, the tribe will continue to function.

Is modern society now ready to transition away from the Myth of Male Hilarity? After all, today's world has erased most of the survival needs that once required a woman to inflate the comedic self-worth of the men around her. Grocery stores, police departments and in vitro fertilization perform the functions once reserved for her Y-chromosome counterparts. The 21st-century woman is finally free to reveal her comedic superiority and inform her penised inferiors that they will never again be permitted to make that "in my pants" joke.

Alas, women's evolved nature, along with their desire to avoid the dystopian nightmare of men trying even harder to be funny, causes them to withhold the soul-crushing revelation of masculine jocular inferiority. But many more women now also will continue to follow bravely in the footsteps of those pioneering females who elicited laughter before them, risking societal harmony in the name of making the world a more hilarious place.

So, hail to thee, funny women. Continue to remove the bushels from your bright and uproarious lights, and we in the know will laugh politely at the "funny men" as we wink to one another behind their desperate but well-meaning backs. It's just the right thing to do.

It's interesting to me that the director of the new Ghostbusters is a big fan of :biotruths:.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

And so nature has provided humankind with two biological safeguards: 1) an intellectual anomaly that allows males to believe that they and their friends are funny, and 2) a survival instinct that impels women to laugh at men's jokes. As long as the men feel good about themselves, no matter how delusionary those feelings may be, the tribe will continue to function.

lol what is this idiot poo poo

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Nanomashoes posted:

It's interesting to me that the director of the new Ghostbusters is a big fan of :biotruths:.

I'm p much over talking about this movie but wow is this guy ever a tool

I especially like how he says men like lowbrow humor while putting out a really slapsticky physical-comedy-y movie "for women", although come to think of it maybe that part was supposed to be self-deprecating and that just wasn't clear because he's pretentious as hell

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's ironic that this whole quote is just a huge fart.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
Apparently the new Star Trek is a mediocre sack of trash too. But Sulu is gay now, so 6/10 Movie of the Summer.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

We had this same argument when PSYCHO got remade starring Vince Vaughn.

And then, in the words of R. Stevens, you realize that Frankenstein was originally a book and you have yourself a nice cry.

Nothing is original, everything sucks.

Cinema.

Cinema never changes.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

The new Star Trek movie from the director of Furious 7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Nanomashoes posted:

The new Star Trek movie from the director of Furious 7

I will gladly watch that over Star Trek : The Motion Picture, which is the only film I've ever seen that should have come with an amphetamine suppository, so you can stay awake during it.

• Locked thread