Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
They're remaking The Magnificent Seven as well. A remake of a movie that was a remake of a movie that was an attempt to make a Japanese version of Hollywood Western movies. Watching a modern Hollywood film now is often like trying to read a copy of Watchmen that someone with IBS has used as toilet paper: you kinda can see there was once something good there, but it's now too covered in poo poo to be entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

They should remake BloodSport with Norm Macdonald playing the role of Jean Claude Van Damme.

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...
When is Beetlejuice getting a lovely remake?

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Buckets posted:

When is Beetlejuice getting a lovely remake?

When he goes Hawaiian.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I dint think lydias dad is allowed in movies anymore

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Please inform when Lady Ghostbusters box office results come in so i know what annoying articles to except next week

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Like anyone would admit defeat

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

NutritiousSnack posted:

Please inform when Lady Ghostbusters box office results come in so i know what annoying articles to except next week

Opening night makes it look like it's gonna make its budget back and not much else but it depends on if foreign audiences can see movies about ghosts or not.

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...
China has no love for our skeleton brothers

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-ghostbusters-course-45m-911348

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Nanomashoes posted:

Opening night makes it look like it's gonna make its budget back and not much else but it depends on if foreign audiences can see movies about ghosts or not.

Last I read opening was on track for $50M and the movie cost over $150M to make.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pawn 17 posted:

Last I read opening was on track for $50M and the movie cost over $150M to make.

That's a $50M opening, which is just the first weekend.

People are still hedging their bets on whether it'll beat the animated film The Life Of Pets which had a huge opening last week and is still going strong.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

what can make you move (chihuahua)

can you feel the groove (chihuahua)

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

People are still hedging their bets on whether it'll beat the animated film The Life Of Pets which had a huge opening last week and is still going strong.

It's running next to a stronger film and next couple weeks have big films coming out (much like every film ever). It looks like the first projections of it hitting 130 million were dead on. Which means a bunch of passive agressive articles about how this is proof America is bad, and not all the dead black people.

Nanomashoes posted:

They can't, which is really weird why they bothered remaking GB now that China is so important.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Pastry of the Year posted:

what can make you move (chihuahua)

can you feel the groove (chihuahua)

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
a remake of silence of lambs ...But Hannibal Lecter is a vegan so he just breaks into peoples gardens and eats their loving carrots

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
A remake of Silence of the Lambs with Brian Cox as a genuinely scary Lector instead of a panto villain.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

And next week is star trek beyond which also looks like it'll suck. But you know, a lovely star trek movie really makes it more like the rest of the star trek movies so

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

there's no way in hell it's coming close to life of pets. it'll be lucky if it gets ahead of life of pets in terms of revenue for this weekend not just opening weekend.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Sunswipe posted:

A remake of Silence of the Lambs with Brian Cox as a genuinely scary Lector instead of a panto villain.

:thejoke:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead
Freddie Got Fingered is way overdue for a revisit. No one is expecting it.

And gently caress the chinese market. No one should be tailoring anything to sell to an dystopian autocracy that is just as superstitious as it is oppressive and evil.

I wish i could start a production company out of Taiwan or Japan called gently caress You Nongs, every film would be about kaiju destroying mainland china and using the Mao's tomb as a toilet.

Nick Rivers
Nov 23, 2004

JediTalentAgent posted:

I don't know if we really have any old 80s/90s/00s properties that can be rebooted out of nostalgia anymore. The stuff we remade from the 50s-80s seemed to have that bit where they had years of becoming cult and pop culture icons, but with the 80s-onward stuff, the really popular things never felt like they hit that same sweet spot of partially forgotten/partially remembered.

Studio execs will soon start developing movies based on the only untapped source of nostalgia left- television commercials.

Coming soon in 2017:
-The Passion of the Encyclopedia Britannica Kid
-The Sears Air Conditioner (think the notebook meets titanic)
-Kids sitting around acting like smart adults talking about muppet babies books
-The "Have you played Atari Today" jingle on a 2 hour loop

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Sorry, I've just never got over Hopkins replacing Cox. :(

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I just watched Zoolander 2. Everything about it was stupid and poorly done, but I laughed several times. 10/10.

client
Aug 19, 2010

Nick Rivers posted:

Studio execs will soon start developing movies based on the only untapped source of nostalgia left- television commercials.

Coming soon in 2017:
-The Passion of the Encyclopedia Britannica Kid
-The Sears Air Conditioner (think the notebook meets titanic)
-Kids sitting around acting like smart adults talking about muppet babies books
-The "Have you played Atari Today" jingle on a 2 hour loop

Raisin Hell: The Revenge of the California Raisins

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
Escape from new York deserves the mad max treatment

Nick Rivers
Nov 23, 2004
Blade Runner 2017
(Based on the novel Do Robots Know How Kids' Minds Grow Upon Sweet Pickles?)

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Cowman posted:

there's no way in hell it's coming close to life of pets. it'll be lucky if it gets ahead of life of pets in terms of revenue for this weekend not just opening weekend.

It's already behind, this film is dropping to third after Beyond drops too.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

NutritiousSnack posted:

It's already behind, this film is dropping to third after Beyond drops too.

Ghostbusters is the #1 female comedy in America!

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

NutritiousSnack posted:

They can't, which is really weird why they bothered remaking GB now that China is so important.

I imagine somebody is getting fired for not mentioning they cant release ghost movies in china. even if this film was great, how the hell was sony expecting to turn this into a franchise like marvel studios does without the chinese box office.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Armond White is not impressed

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/437888/ghostbusters-cafe-society-thats-not-who-we-are

Armond White posted:

That’s not who we are,” a familiar presidential entreaty, came to mind after watching Woody Allen’s Café Society and the new Ghostbusters. Each film offers a comical view of American types, but enjoyment may depend on whether one feels the characters are credible. They aren’t. The Jewish-Americans of Café Society recall Allen’s boilerplate self-deprecation, while Ghostbusters has been rebooted, mostly with Saturday Night Live performers as urban caricatures. The gimmick in each film is to appease the current diversity craze.

These failed attempts to find humor in social identity (using such contrivances as Café Society’s Jewish-run amusement industries or Ghostbusters’ exaggerated personal peculiarities and trafficking in the supernatural) follow the president’s frequent allusions to Americans’ basic nature — always a non-specific, cure-all remedy to the latest social crisis. Politicians know such distraction is demagoguery; Hollywood calls it entertainment. Allen’s 1930s characters fumble with issues of prosperity, infidelity, and murder, while the contemporary lady ghostbusters use femininity to laugh off literal manifestations of evil. They’re all superficial constructs. Each movie is an exercise in moral evasion — entertainment as brainwashing.

Let’s analyze this by looking specifically at two contrasting portrayals: Leslie Jones’s in Ghostbusters and Blake Lively’s in Café Society. Black actress Jones and white actress Lively both play minor characters, yet they can be seen to represent who we, as a nation, think we are: the working-class black woman being the least among us in terms of plot significance and the leisure-class white woman being the most among us in terms of social privilege. Jones’s Patty Tolan is the friendliest subway-booth clerk in New York City history. She lacks the education of the three white ghostbusters, who unite as professionals of paranormal science, but she has the gumption to join up out of the same fealty known from black domestics in early Hollywood films. Jones is the tallest of all the Ghostbusters actresses (the others being Kristen Wiig, Melissa McCarthy, and Kate McKinnon), and at 48 years old she also suggests the longest career struggle, now finally receiving late acceptance from the showbiz mainstream. (For sentient viewers, this social fact is not unrelated to the actual role of Patty.) What appears “progressive” about Jones’s casting is American business-as-usual: Patty is described as the niece of the character that black actor Ernie Hudson portrayed as an aide to the white leads, Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, and Harold Ramis, in the original 1984 Ghostbusters. Leslie Jones in “Ghostbusters”Leslie Jones in “Ghostbusters”

A feminist Gunga Din, Jones’s Patty makes it possible for the SNL white pukka sahibs to feel good about repeating Ghostbusters’ Eighties line-up — as if exhibiting generous social equality. That’s how escapist entertainment works: It disguises Hollywood’s entrenched biased hegemony as happily inclusive fun for all. Director Paul Feig, who saw no need to diversify the cast of his deplorable but lucrative Bridesmaids, perpetuates the same ol’ Ghostbuster tokenism. His cast of romantic dingaling (Wiig), plus-size clown (McCarthy), butch brainiac (McKinnon), and black sidekick (Jones) presumes to update the original film’s nonsense by virtue of representing Obama-era parity (which includes Chris Hemsworth as an unfunny beefcake version of Old Hollywood cheesecake), but Feig forgets that Reagan-era liberals felt no need to demonstrate equality; enjoying white privilege showed who they were, and filmgoers laughed while acquiescing.

Similar cultural stagnation occurs in Café Society. Woody Allen celebrates the vaunted era of New York’s segregated 1930s nightlife — and its West Coast counterpart in Hollywood. The story of Bobby Stern (Jesse Eisenberg), the brother of a New York gangster and nephew of a high-powered Hollywood agent, centers on his falling in love with non-Jewish women — a Los Angeles secretary, Vonnie (Kristen Stewart), and an East Coast divorcee, Veronica (Blake Lively). But Allen glosses over the cross-ethnic infatuations as well as instances of ethnically restricted businesses. (The décor of Bobby’s nightclub evokes the infamously segregated El Morocco.) Like Feig in Ghostbusters, Allen uses comedy to avoid serious contemplation of the social inequities that accompany class advancement. (Café Society’s unoriginal dialogue, including Allen’s mumbly, gravelly narration, sounds hackneyed. It’s worse when Allen trots out his usual harangue that life is “meaningless.”)

Blake Lively in “Café Society”Blake Lively in “Café Society” Allen satirizes Jewish working-class ambition, paranoia, and class pretenses, whether in the luxe of Hollywood studios or the grime of New York racketeering. He romanticizes go-getter Bobby by imitating those Great Gatsby interpretations that read Jay Gatsby as Jewish. But while Allen emphasizes ethnic difference (mocking Bobby and family for their non-Orthodox behavior and occasional reversion to Yiddish-speaking type) he avoids exploring it. That Allen is no ethnicity-buster becomes clear when Lively enters the film. She’s a counterpart to the dark-haired Vonnie, yet she personifies a blonde, blue-eyed shiksa. “I think Jews are exotic,” Veronica tells Bobby, adding “I wouldn’t mind if you had horns.”

While parodying one-way racism, Allen’s shallow portrayal of Stern’s cross-cultural attraction refuses to acknowledge it as a complex part of “who we are.” The racist standards of film-industry practices go unexamined — both in Lively’s WASPy idealization and in the blonde hooker whom Stern rejects when he realizes she’s Jewish. The way Allen lingers on close-ups of WASP love-objects Vonnie and Veronica correlates with Feig’s using Jones’s stereotypical rambunctious black as comic relief in Ghostbusters.

Both films offer empty characterizations with superficial ethnic identities. The accusation lodged against Bobby’s uncle (“He’s not a [real] Jewish man!”) is surprisingly blunt given Café Society’s sentimental sociology. Similarly, in Ghostbusters, the peripheral status Patty inherits from her uncle is unexpectedly sentimentalized as a social advance. More Movies The Push to ‘Reimagine’ Classic Characters The Mid-Year Reckoning The Notorious BFG Hollywood’s pretense about “who we are” can be seen in the contrast between Lively and Jones — the one’s Caucasian elegance and the other’s comical blackness. Each film exemplifies modern Hollywood’s social complacency and lazy imagination. That also explains why Ghostbusters reduces ideas about the supernatural to 3D F/X gimmickry and Café Society wastes the great cinematographer Vittorio Storaro, who provides color schemes similar to those in his legendary Bertolucci films (The Conformist, 1900, Little Buddha), but without dramatic vibrancy, without vision.

Allen doesn’t bother fleshing out characters in Café Society. They’re concepts still stuck in his head. Feig plays off bogus feminism (women who joke about their “cracks”) as before. These are identity-crisis movies — revealing who the filmmakers really are while pandering to our expectations about ourselves.

Uncle Wemus fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 16, 2016

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
:vince: That last paragraph is brutal

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Armond White seems to dislike nerd culture and hes right to say that its garbage

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Nick Rivers posted:

SCENE: Billy and Tony are eating lunch at work

"What are you eating?"
"Pizza."
"You like it?"
"Yeah. What you got?"
"Macaroni."
"Any good?"
"Yeah."
(Becca bursts in)
"GUYS! GUYS! I was down at a new collectibles shop on Mills Road that went in where that fire was and--"
"That's opened up again?! I thought that place was condemned..."
"Yeah, and what did we all love as children?"
"I dunno...My parents?"
"I loved my dog, I only sort of liked my parents."
"Forget your dogs and forget your parents... I found THIS!"
(Pulls an unseen object from her bag, puts it on the table.)
"Oh, wow! That's so kitchty and retro! Does it work?"
"I think so. I grabbed a brick of D-cells and there's already a tape in it. Let's play it and see what's on there."
(Rapidly edited montage of footage of the trio facing horrors and dangers. Sounds of demonic noises, children screaming, chanting, and a voice begging for help. Quick cut back to Becca hitting stop on a colorful children's tape player in the center of the frame.)
October 2018: My First Sony.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jul 16, 2016

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
Remake The Big Lebowski with Seth Rogan as the Dude

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Millions of Crows posted:

Freddie Got Fingered is way overdue for a revisit. No one is expecting it.

And gently caress the chinese market. No one should be tailoring anything to sell to an dystopian autocracy that is just as superstitious as it is oppressive and evil.

I wish i could start a production company out of Taiwan or Japan called gently caress You Nongs, every film would be about kaiju destroying mainland china and using the Mao's tomb as a toilet.

the hell is nong? I hope it's not a racial slur because it's pretty cool sounding and I want to try and use it

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Remake The Big Lebowski with Seth Rogan as the Dude

don't ruin a good movie with seth rogan, even though he DOES look the part

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

BillmasterCozb posted:

don't ruin a good movie with seth rogan, even though he DOES look the part

seth rogan has been living the part since his first movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
a guy who is kinda smart, who smoked too much weed, then did nothing with his life. It is the part he was born to play

• Locked thread