Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
The screening I went to on Thursday for Ghostbusters wasn't barren, but it certainly wasn't crowded. I was the only person in the lower tier seats and less than half of the upper tier was full. Sure, it was a 7:30 show on a Thursday, but still a pretty poor turnout.

The movie was ok but I would have like a little more delving into or at least hints of the paranormal setting. The villain muttered some doomsday poo poo a couple times and had some spooky drawings and that was about all of the meta-setting we got. The original had a named god with named assistants and possessed humans with ritual roles to play (gatekeeper/key master)and brief glances into another dimension with some actual ruins or something that did a good job of hinting at a rich world behind the scenes. The "other side" in the new movie was just green swirly smoke. It would have also been nice if the government spooks actually had some involvement and felt somewhat competent, like already having protocols and containment procedures that work on a small scale (rituals, prayers, symbols, candles, incense) but they suck compared to the new poo poo the girls were packing. That would really drive home the vagina power message. I was ok with the idea of a dumb, pretty male receptionist, but the execution was pretty terrible.

I really liked Kate McKinnon in the movie, but I just took a look at her, uh, oeuvre and wasn't terribly interested in anything there. Maybe she can leverage this lukewarm filler of a movie into some other roles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Jesus, I'm glad I don't buy toys on the reg like some of my nerd brethren. $16.99 on clearance? Do the figures suck your dick?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

caleramaen posted:

Just a note, ever since theaters stopped doing midnight shows and started doing 7:00 releases, attendance has been way down for Thursdsy night previews except for really big tent pole action movies like Avengers or Star Wars. Comedies in general do relatively poorly in that slot. Ghostbusters Thurs. gross of about 3.4 mil is actually pretty good seen in that light.

Since then it has dropped somewhat, so it is definitely not a runaway hit. But at this point it is not likely to flop.

I figured it was something like that.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Secret Life of Pets involves the torture of a prisoner, one of the heroes (a hawk) having to visibly resist eating the rest of the cast the entire time he's on screen, a domestic terrorist cell of abandoned pets dedicated to murdering humans, the leader of which hijacks a bus and purposefully rams occupied vehicles on a bridge with it while the protagonist works the gas pedal, the repeated brutal beating of several humans and a one-sided obsessive relationship being treated as romantic. All, of course, played for laughs. Like, dark stuff in kids movies is great, don't get me wrong, but they didn't do any of it well. It just felt kinda schizophrenic. I guess I'll check out some reviews and see if I'm just crazy. At least the animation was colorful and fun and nice to look at.

Ghostbusters was just too safe. There wasn't even a scene of anyone getting ghost cunnilingus for christ's sake.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. i saw that in the trailer. I wondered why the bunny sounded like some 1960s/70s black power/liberation/days of rage leader. do the police shoot him in the head at the end or something?

No. Kevin Hart's bunny gets captured by a little girl while fleeing the aftermath of probably injuring and killing dozens of humans on a bridge and instantly becomes a traitor to the cause because all pets secretly want to be owned.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I'd say a remake of Armageddon where the rock wins, but These Our Final Hours already exists and is p chill.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Cowman posted:

I was taking a look at upcoming films on Rotten Tomatoes and here's one I'm actually interested in (and is relevant to the thread)

Sounds neat and I hope it's good.

I'm a giant goon and I think fat jokes are great. My undulating rotundness is inherently absurd. So, I guess some people can take a joke.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

eric posted:

LOL who the gently caress rates anything on a 1-8 scale?

Base eight, so what?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Whoever does the marketing at Sony is a loving genius for spinning this whole thing as controversial. If everybody just shrugged their shoulders at the female cast this would be forgotten as quickly as the Total Recall or RoboCop remakes.

I saw the Total Recall remake and I literally only remembered it existed because someone mentioned it earlier in this thread. A good movie, I assume.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

HEY, SOCIAL PROGRESSIVES, WATCH OUR GHOST FART MOVIE, THE JOKES ARE MADE BY WOMEN!

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

Well it was the first fart joke I've laughed at in years so there's that.
Why do you creeps keep calling people social progressives?
Also how do you MRA types get through life having a problem with women?, I mean a normal bigot probably doesn't have to deal with people who are more brown than them or foreign or like dick all that often but you have to talk and be emotionally attached to women everyday so it's kinda nuts to be all weird about them.

Oh and you fuckwits have ruined my childhood memories of Ghostbusters, god drat all I had to do was think of those movies or the cartoon or the dumb toys and I'd get a happy feeling, now if i think of them I end of thinking of you loving weirdos and how there's people that want those uppity bitches in their place even nowadays and it just makes me pissed off and depressed.
So nice one dickheads...

I was mocking Paul Feig's retarded pot-stirring there. I'm actually glad there are more female leading-roles these days that involve the characters doing the heavy plot lifting rather than as a companion of the protagonists at best.

If nothing else, Ghostbusters introduced me to Kate McKinnon who I now even know exists. I've checked out some her previous work the last couple days, despite not having been interested in SNL for years, for example. I like her poo poo and I would like to see more of her. She was really the most enjoyable part of the movie for me.

As for the social progressives thing, I was just aping the language in the posts before mine.

I want the next GB movie to explore the New Jersey Parallelogram. I think that was in one of the cartoons.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Ghostbusters getting banned in China had me wondering:

Why do most studios care about the Chinese market? Is just the fact more people seeing your movie equals more money, even though they only allow a handful of non-Chinese films in their theaters every year?

Hey guys, why would people want to sell to a market of billions of customers? Am confused, send help.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Why even make films for the US any longer though? They're just wasting a big chunk of what they might make in the US on advertising and distribution and poo poo.

Hollywood should just treat the US like the third income stream after China and India we are and only release the movies they make to the states after the big customers have had their taste.

I'd be down for seeing some actual US indie poo poo in theaters near me. The quirky, intimate, indie theater downtown doesn't count because they only have like 50 seats for a showing.

The current crop of movies these last few years, this year especially, is making me really question my lifelong passion for cinema. Sure, neat little films still get made, but when do I just do myself a favor and cut off the giant tumor that is modern mainstream movies by just not watching anything? It's not worth clawing through poo poo to find gems any longer because they've weaponized the poo poo.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I'm fine with lovely popcorn movies and lowest common denominator dreck existing, that's how art is. Most of it is poo poo. It just seems like the poo poo has really been honed to a septic razor edge and it's disheartening to see such vast resources used for it. Budgets could be cut drastically and nobody would give a gently caress. I'd rather watch loving Birdemic rather than Transformers because at least the first one didn't cost the monthly GDP of a tiny country.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

TIL Winston passes the "paper bag test".

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Germstore posted:

Plus it's a bunch of people yelling into a sea of sand brain weirdos. Could you imagine if companies and public figures were expected to have an SA account?

It would probably be awkward and cringey like the sponsored stuff on imgur.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

i like how it turned out leslie jones was the least bad part of the movie despite her looking like the worst part in the trailers.

I could have done without the yelling. She was the most normal and natural character though.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

ElGroucho posted:

Of all the great black female comedians that could have hit it big, why Leslie Jones? Why not Luenell? She could play herself in every SNL skit and still loving slay me.

I had never heard of, nor as far as I can recall, even seen Leslie Jones before Ghastblasters 2267.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

how did she wait 30 years when this all time great action movie moment existed the year she was born??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDqTwSO1DDc

Pfft, whatever. Ripley had to use disparaging misogynist insults to try and look cool and she had to use a robot (no doubt designed by a man) to win her fight. Patriarchal trash.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Casablanca is just people talking, so lame.

Did you know To Catch a Thief doesn't have a single 360 camera slo-mo crane kick?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

it cost about $20 to see a new film

$5 matinees and $7.50 after 6 PM for me in the glorious US of A, in a large city, even. Motherfuckers be price warring up ins. That's not even the cheapest theater, it's just two blocks from my house so it's the one I go t o all the time. Move somewhere with actual desperate poverty. It's much cheaper.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

doesnt it cost more where poverty is awful

Maybe the theater owners in the Ozarks just aren't smart enough to exploit the poor?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Reboot Willow. Have generic techno-metal blasting and those speed-up-slow-down bits during the entirety of every fight. Throw in as much swearing as PG-13 will let you get away with. (I think that's one gently caress, a couple shits, a few damns and probably handful of dicks.) Make all of the supernatural elements clearly the result of sleight-of-hand and stage magic and doggedly point out that the queen is an illegitimate ruler so we can hopefully squeeze this one into China with minimal effort. Oh yeah, instead of played out hobbits or whatever, the heroes are just a couple bland white actors with fake accents. Sorcia needs gigantic tits and no speaking parts.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Ork of Fiction posted:

They showed the dance number during the credits.

I usually stay for credits to hear the music and pick out interesting names and weird jobs titles or special thanks, etc. I was done with Ghostbusters the moment the credits started rolling and left. Glad to hear that what sounds like a genuinely entertaining moment in a mediocre fail pile was relegated to credit duty.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

It would have been better for Hearst to just let the movie play and ignore it. That wasn't his MO, apparently.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I'm pretty sure Hamilton sucks and I didn't even know it existed until today. That's my professional review.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

how is this possible.

I don't read lovely click bait tastemaker sites? My friends have some modicum of taste and good sense? I'm not sure, really.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's pretty much everywhere not just click bait tastemaker sites. you're on the internet, you should've picked it up via pop culture osmosis.

Blind luck or willful ignorance is all I've got left for you.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

thathonkey posted:

can you hire critics to give your movie a good review like restaurants on yelp

It's not like there's some sort of film reviewers' guild with tight control over ethics or something. Usually you don't have to bribe or pay a reviewer because you've already given their publisher/website piles of ad money and there's an implicit danger that if you turn in a harsh review when a studio handed you 100k for ads, they might decline to advertise with you in the future. That's how video game reviews work for AAA titles that are poo poo.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

Imho if they had hired him to make the movie version of "World War Z" it would have been a perfect film.

Just get the professionally voice acted World War Z audio book. The only thing you'll miss is pictures. It's pretty alright to listen to while working on poo poo.

E: Galaxy Quest is the best Star Trek movie followed by Star Trek IV

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

The female cast Ocean's Whatever remake had better be dykes all the way down. Not a single man or hint of heterosexuality in the film. I don't live in the Progressive Future Wonderland just to see tepid half-measures.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

DoctorStrangelove posted:

My sister saw GhostBusters 2K16 movie and said it was bad.

Definitely not an ally. You should get her involuntarily committed so she can get the help she needs to stop hating her own gender.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Deceptive markings and mannerisms give a predator a greater window of opportunity in which to strike, and saves it the trouble of wasting 30 minutes tying loving balloon animals and risking exposing the charade through close, prolonged interaction.

Todd McFarlane clown is a less convincing disguise, but is enough camouflage to create a much wider field of opportunity than just always appearing as some nightmarish hellbeast would allow, by far. With as unsettling as some people find normal clowns, the "twisted carnival" variety might actually find good success hunting in that clown-phobic demographic as they are typically ok with weird Juggalo/Cirque de Solei style clowns, as far as I know.

If Shaggy 2 Dope, some tiny gymnast in clown white and a leotard covered with purple glitter and a full-blown, honest to god children's party/circus/rodeo clown all needed my help at the same time, the traditional clown would probably be dead last priority for me. I don't know why. I don't even dislike clowns.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I haven't seen or read It, so all I know is that it has a clown that kills people or something?

E: which is probably true for most of the people making big decisions on the reboot.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Yeah, it seems like using the clown completely misses the point of the whole thing if you're setting it in a different time and place. Children and adults are probably just as easy to scare, but children are much easier to handle if they fight back or try to flee, I guess. You'd think adults would taste better. They've had a lifetime of fears and anxiety and have even likely experience some form of existential dread or crisis. Some of them even have deeply ingrained phobias and anxieties that you could exploit to get them to reach a fever pitch right before you feed. Kids would be like eating tatertot casserole; quick, it will technically feed you, really bland, depressing to anyone watching you eat it.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I think It was just a lonely, depressed bachelor who didn't want to put any effort or craft into his meals. Maybe if a Ms. It were to crash into his life he'd shape up and long con her a nice meal to bring back to his recently tidied hellbeast lair.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I want a proper American remake of Let the Right One In where the main characters are in high school and the vampire is actually a girl and has huge knockers and like 50+ people die and there's a sub-plot about a 5000 year-old global monster hunter society after the vampire which is why she needs a new guardian who is all buff and dangerous now. Also, there's a fight with the vampire, a hunter, a werewolf and a mummy at the end that paves the way for a sequel and a cinematic universe.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Sure, but a strange amount of people seem to be strangely distressed by clowns, therefore IT has always and ever will be a clown to the general populace.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

ProperCoochie posted:

IT also identifies himself as Legion and other biblical demons to an old man.

IT also has a sort of brain warp over all of Derry. At the end of the novel, as IT is being killed, Derry is being destroyed by a storm.

I've read around 400 novels and IT is in my top ten favorite. For the horror stuff but also because of its themes on friendship and memory and childhood. What puts a tickle in my throat is the kids all forgetting each other, remembering when IT resurfaces, and forgetting after he's defeated again. I hope some of that makes it into the new film.

Does IT mention the demon stuff to the old man to put him at ease, in a sense? I could see a dude all into paranormal stuff or tied up in Judeo-Christian lore becoming more fascinated than frightened at that point. It would be an advanced level lure. I guess he only does kids, though. Maybe it's just habit. Or was IT saying that he was identified as Legion in the New Testament and not that he was that specific entity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

late reply but can anyone imagine Mel Brooks actually making another movie?

An all tranny cast in blackface acting in a modern take on Fiddler on the Roof, but the whole thing is CGI and set in space.

• Locked thread