Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Retelling the same stories over and over but changing it slightly to fit the times and catch the interest of the audience is pretty much the oldest form of storytelling and not a modern Hollywood invention.

It is actually good that we're doing it with movies now instead of just letting them age and become less and less relevant because "It's a CLASSIC, just watch the original version!" Some new versions will be bad, and people who already liked the old version will always resent the new one, but it's still good that this is happening. And no, it's not proof that culture and society is dying. It's not the new generation's fault that they're more interested in things made for them than in things made for their parents and grandparents.

movies don't become irrelevant with age though? visual effects age and messages can become irrelevant but its no guarantee. alien is still widely considered one of the best of form and its thirty fuckin years old. hell 2001 is fifty years old and watching both in 2016 the only weird thing about either of them is everything is a crt screen.

like yeah The Thing might look dated but you cant just remake a movie for the purpose of "making it for a new generation" because the original movie was not made in a vaccuum and trying to capture the feel of something that you did not create is an uphill battle that is never worth taking

unless you are so caught up in the now that product placement for products that don't exist anymore short circuits the 'must consume' circuit in your brain its a p dumb thing to say

nigga crab pollock fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

I don't know. Movies from the 30s-40s are pretty much just people talking for an hour and a half wearing hats and their pants pulled up to their nipples.

yeah thats because theyre twice as old as the old movies i used as example, as well as being mass produced by hollywood as cheap and fast as possible. silver age hollywood is a bad example home boy

also citizen kane is that old and it is both visually interesting and compelling still

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

Oh, I agree. Movies out of the 70s up are still relevant. Maybe even back into the 60s. But I've made the argument before and some smug goon brings up some rare French movie in the Criterion collection that is a beautiful, well-acted masterpiece that could blow any movie made today out of the water and I was just cutting to the chase.

most movies are poo poo, we just remember the good ones

cutting to the chase, the old movies=bad mindset is basically to sell your dumb rear end remakes of movies and judging by your insightful criticism and followup backpedaling you are buying into that poo poo wholeheartedly without even thinking twice

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
i dont know how the ~foreign movies~ hate started but im blaming the french basically solely on one film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrYB8hgyq4s

funny, definitely well made and visually interesting, but it like completely subverts traditional filmmaking to the point that it borders on unwatchable

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Drunken Baker posted:

They're always moving the goalposts. Deadpool had that UFC woman in it kicking rear end but that doesn't count because she was hot and had cleavage. It also had Negasonic Teenage Warhead kicking rear end but that didn't count because she's hot and didn't have enough screen time and I can guarantee they didn't like whatshername from Firefly "being in peril"... Also she was hot.

They? Who are they? Some random straw-womyn... But I dunno, maybe e-mail whoever wrote that piece and ask why none of the above counts as examples of strong women in film.

its because none of these people have seen alien and their concept of strong female character is bits and pieces of what other people have said frankensteined together into an unattainable and unrealistic pedestal

i had a tumblrina ex and she got mad when i was playing through half life 2:ep2 and alyx gets mortally wounded cause 'of course u have to save the woman and she can't save herself' despite the fact that her character literally exists to save the white male player character from peril and its a sequel where they flip it around for a few chapters

its got nothing to do with actual portrayals of strong female characters or nuanced discussion people just want to get mad

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

laverne cox doesnt bhave poo poo on tim curry

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

JediTalentAgent posted:

Here's a pitch for the next Aliens movie. There are jokes here and there in the original films, but they take themselves too seriously. We're going to really connect with our fanbase with Alien5 by showing them how absurd it all is.

There will be a scene where they open up a door on a giant cryo-fridge and we have a bunch of alien eggs shoved into the little egg door in a big styrofoam container. Every time a company rep is on screen, they're horribly lying about what they're up to and everyone buys it completely. A scene of them having a conversation about being on their side, needing to get rid of those pesky aliens, while handling a face hugger and putting it on an unconscious crewman's face to 'demonstrate' what they need to avoid having happen to themselves, carrying large eggs beneath their jacket as they're leaving a room, etc.

Every time we think someone's about the have a chestburster scene, it's instead just food poisoning and they have to run off to the bathroom with the sounds of farting.

The climax of the film will be Ripley getting into a powerloader and ready to fight the Queen, but this time around, the Queen is also in her own powerloader (comically crammed in there). As the pair are about to rush at one another, the power cords going to the powerloaders unplug from the wall and they stop dead in their tracks. The pair awkwardly have to unbuckle out of their respective armors and get into a shouting match before they end up in a WWE styled wrestling battle.

i mean this is literally what airplane did and its arguably the best comedy movie ever made so

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Woden posted:

I remember it as an inoffensive, fun 80's nostalgia dump. Was mostly about kids at school so doubt it wasn't heavily scripted.

Were Feig's other movies all improve too? Only started hearing about it with the media wind up for Ghostbusters.

his filmography is completely unremarkable in every way and the only other thing he's made is bridesmaids

i did enjoy bridesmaids but i got a feeling that nobody involved in the movie really understood what made it good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Pvt.Scott posted:

You could do Nightmare on Elm Street as an anthology series, as well. Every town in America has a drat Elm Street. The weird nightmare realm exists, teens exist to be killed and you can have a parade of freaks tied together by the otherworld and common theme. Let different directors do their takes on the setting without diluting the main property too much if they blow it. Involve Freddy in some or all of the films as either a chance encounter, side plot, a rival of the movie's monster trying to poach kills, a quickly seen cameo creeping in the dark, or maybe even a helping hand with his own inscrutable motives. (Likely involving giving the heroes objects to fight the monster, which the kids can take out of their dreams with them so that they act as a homing beacon for Freddy) Give Freddy his own dedicated outing every once in a while, remembering to drop in little nods to the side films to tie the whole thing together.

yeah but how will audiences KNOW that nightmare on elm street is what is is without freddy kruger?

gotta make sure the bad guy is always him, and he uses his Signature Moves in every episode. other than that, great idea! i'll forward it to the greenlight team

• Locked thread