Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I'll probably end up watching Ben-Hur because I'm just so desperate for another good Roman-era film that I'll give any old poo poo a watch. I want to believe...

If your that desperate, then check out Centurion. Not great, but a decent action flick and Michael Fassbender is pretty good in it. And, as someone else recommended, check out the Eagle, which actually managed to surprise me considering some of the critical reviews it got. By the numbers, but a fun watch. But yeah, sword-and-sandal flicks aren't so hot at the moment. All of the most prominent releases in the past few years have been mediocre to bad. Ben-Hur seems entirely in the latter category. Kind of like how most swashbucklers nowadays aren't just uncommon, but are bad.

The Grimace posted:

I want the upcoming Assassin's Creed movie to be good. The games used to be great and then they kind of decided they have absolutely no idea what to do with the modern-day plot. Now the games are on hiatus for a year to ensure the new one doesn't turn out poo poo. They've also got Michael Fassbender really involved in the production of the movie. If it fails, it will mean bad news for the Assassin's Creed brand as a whole. I'm curious how it's all gonna turn out.

I think Black Flag is pretty good as far as writing is concerned, at least if you focus on the material involving Kenway, but I agree that the modern stuff is still a bit weak. To be honest, I think that's been the weakest part of the series, beyond how the writers frame both factions, even before Ezio's games wrapped up. Also, I bet Michael Fassbender hopes it's a big hit too since he probably stands to benefit quite a bit from being the start of a big blockbuster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

Can you make them reliably more profitable than PG-13 movies? No? Then lay back and take it baby.

Again the problem is-- can you reliably prove that an R-Rated horror comedy would bring reliable box office, especially once the year-in/year-out novelty of kids dying in dream sequences wears out?

Deadpool is the definition of the exception that proves the rule, and I'm still not sure where all the box office came from unless his hardcore fans are even more pathetic than I thought and paid to see it 3 times a piece or more likely theaters started slacking because young teenagers were always that movie's bread and butter.

Deadpool had a lot of advertising and buzz even before hitting the theaters so that may have helped. Just like the fact that the market is saturated with hero movies, so that too may have worked in its favor. Still surprised a lot of people though.

And I think an R-horror comedy, like a new Nightmare on Elm Street, could work. The studio would just need to have the right expectations for it. Probably wouldn't have a huge budget either.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

I don't need to see those movies in theatres... But whatever happened to the adult horror exploitation direct to video genre? Has it been swallowed by the trend of "AAA picture or nothing"? Is there currently no place for B movies, because even those are deemed too risky by major studios, and the cost of accessing the market as an independent movie producer is too high, with too low returns to keep the seedy movie industry going?

As others have said, do check out Netflix or Amazon. Same goes if you're looking for some D-to-V action flicks. Sometimes you even find one that is legitimately surprising, like Universal Soldier Day of Reckoning, which also functions as a decent horror movie.

And I can't help but think the emphasis on big tentpole pictures hurts the range of movies that can be made or at least limits the scope of theatrical release for some genres.

• Locked thread