Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Nation posted:

i do not respond to 'trolls'

I ain't afraid of no trolls!

/steps on gas pedal, peels out of thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BillmasterCozb posted:

Old Yeller, but the dog is portrayed by Bruce Willis

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mordja posted:

Have there actually been any good remakes outside of loose re-imaginings of '50s B movies (The Thing) and the occasional Hollywoodified foreign film (The Departed)?

Scarface (1983), Ocean's Eleven (2001), Cape Fear (1991), True Grit (2010), Little Shop Of Horrors (1986), Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988), Some Like It Hot (1959), The Maltese Falcon (1941), The Wizard of Oz (1939) ....

For Hollywoodified films there's also The Magnificent Seven (1960) and 12 Monkeys (1995) and for 50s B movie remakes there's The Fly (1986)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

client posted:

movies like hellraiser that were cool but made for $16 are the only kind that should be remade

They've been working on a Hellraiser remake since 2006 and came close to getting it up and running a few times but it was announced a few months ago that the new film which is currently being shot will be yet another sequel instead of a remake.
http://movieweb.com/hellraiser-movie-2016-cast-heather-langenkamp/

We have such tired, recycled sights to show you

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

client posted:

when the director is the old makeup artist and the original pinhead would rather star in wrong turn 5 you know youve got a quality production on your hands

I feel that the series has taken a turn for the meta and is now doing its best to torture its fans in real life.

Here's another sequel! No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

They are not remaking Buckaroo Banzai

Nope, we're getting a TV series written by Kevin Smith instead

http://screenrant.com/adventures-of-buckaroo-banzai-tv-series-kevin-smith/

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Junior Jr. posted:

When are Disney remaking The Black Hole?

Right now
http://movieweb.com/tron-3-and-the-black-hole-updates-from-director-joseph-kosinski/

Edit: the only poo poo from the 70s/80s that isn't in the process of being remade is stuff like Back To The Future where the original creator has said "gently caress you, you're not remaking it while I'm alive and I'm instructing my estate to block all attempts to remake it"

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 15, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Applewhite posted:

poo poo I just realized a big budget Magic School Bus movie is an inevitability.

People have been crying out for it
http://www.themovienetwork.com/article/why-live-action-magic-school-bus-should-come-next

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Chris Columbus was talking up the Gremlins reboot last year while he was shilling for Pixels:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH1WnUe-EHw

... but there hasn't been a lot of news since then

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pawn 17 posted:

Last I read opening was on track for $50M and the movie cost over $150M to make.

That's a $50M opening, which is just the first weekend.

People are still hedging their bets on whether it'll beat the animated film The Life Of Pets which had a huge opening last week and is still going strong.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

eSports Chaebol posted:

Genuine bombs are almost unheard of now. That's what's so depressing about all this. The formula works. What was the last bomb? John Carter I guess?

Studios these days only get 20% or less of their income via box office sales, stuff like home media and TV/rental licencing deals which used to be minor are now their main revenue streams, not to mention merchandising, cross promotion, product placement, etc etc. Production costs can be shifted around on the books, if they get wind that a certain movie is going to tank they can throw it under the bus and offload production costs from one of their other movie onto it to make that other movie look more profitable. The Hollywood media loves reporting on the box office numbers because that's pretty much the only indicator they have on whether a film is successful or not even though those numbers haven't actually been relevant to whether a film is successful for decades now, but reports on the DVD/Blu-Ray sales for a movie that left cinemas three months ago isn't sexy enough to be headline news.

The important factor now is whether a film appears to be successful. It's all bragging rights and appearances and reputations. If the film's projected to open at $43 to $48 million and it only brings in $35 million that first weekend every Hollywood media outlet will be screaming about how the film has flopped and the director has failed and the stars aren't bankable even though it's pretty much guaranteed to make it's money back some way eventually, or it'll just get written off on tax if it doesn't, or the studio will make up the difference on another project anyway. The film was actually financed a year or more ago so it's already been paid for, the executive producers did their job and will have already moved on to new projects by the time this film hits the cinemas. If the film does 'okay' at the very minimum then they'll have nothing to worry about, their only concern will be if it gets a reputation as a terrible failure and even then their main concern will be how that affects the studio's reputation at the financial institutions which insure their movies because if you don't get insurance you can't get backing and the film won't get made. The banks which insure movies will often put in crazy stipulations and have staff members on site to make sure the stars of the movie don't risk themselves doing their own stunts and poo poo like that.

Tl;dr: the box office numbers aren't really that relevant to a film's success these days, it's mostly about appearances.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Internaut! posted:

"profits don't matter to studios, only PR"

- CineD thought leader

Box office numbers =/= profits

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Germstore posted:

scummy studio accounting

There's a ton of hilari-bad stories of Hollywood people taking points on a film (getting paid on the 'profits' of a film rather than on the gross) and getting hosed over when the film makes a ton of money at the box office but because of lovely Hollywood accounting the film officially lost money so they never get paid out.

Peter Michael Goetz famously got a royalties cheque for 3c for the 1986 film King Kong Lives. Return of the Jedi reportedly had production costs of $32.5 million and had a domestic box office of $309 million and a worldwide gross of $572 million (not to mention untold millions in home video and merchandise sales) but for decades afterwards they kept sending letters to Darth Vader actor David Prowse saying "Sorry, the film still hasn't come into profit so we can't pay you any residuals yet."

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

"Kiss the fattest part of my assholes" is a great line, whoever originally wrote that wall of text.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

rezatahs posted:

pretty sure that wasn't quoting anybody

that guy shows up in gbs every so often acting unstable as gently caress

He's also a FYAD poster who was recently posting about how both sides of the GB debate were crazy assholes :ssh:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

NutritiousSnack posted:

Usually that stuff factors in with distribution costs which a huge joke since Hollywood is actually selling their services to themselves basically. This is on track to be bad for Sony because they needed this to be a hit since so many of their tentpole films failed.

There isn't going to be a GB2.

What are you talking about, they've recently produced such cinematic classics as Angry Birds, The Brothers Grimsby, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, Pixels, The Interview, Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2, etc etc....
:v:

Ghostbusters might actually turn out to be their biggest film of 2016 even if it makes a loss overall, their other biggest films so far this year have been Angry Birds and some lovely Christian film called Miracles from Heaven and I can't see their upcoming animated film Sausage Party going all that well. I'm also not expecting big things from their Magnificent Seven remake but on the other hand you can't rule out the Chris Pratt factor there.
Their only films to pass $200,000 on the homefront these last few years were Amazing Spider-Man 2 (which was so disappointing they killed that franchise and went crawling back to Marvel) and the Bond film Spectre (which also massively underperformed). Their biggest recent success stories were Hotel Transylvania 2, 22 Jump Street, American Hustle and Grown Ups 2 and they've already slated another Hotel Transylvania sequel for 2018, the 21 Jump Street/MIB cross-sequel is coming along, American Hustle was a one-off docudrama and there was talk about Grown Ups 3 but who knows where that's at now that Sandler is pumping out movies for Netflix.

If Ghostbusters manages to get anywhere near $150m at the box office they might not have any choice except to make a sequel. They don't have much else in the bag to fall back on - they've got sequels to Underworld, Trainspotting, Resident Evil, Smurfs and Bad Boys coming up as well as remakes of Jumanji and Flatliners and I can't see any of those doing incredibly well.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

I also think Bad Boys 3 could do well partly due to nostalgia.

It'd better, they've already greenlit Bad Boys 4 for 2019. :v:

Young Freud posted:

Kinda forgetting one there.

It's The Thing (1982).

I was replying to a post which said "Has there been any good remakes apart from The Thing" :shrug:

NutritiousSnack posted:

This is where we differ because I think if this fails to hit above 160-170 million but hits around 150 million, we are done with this iteration of Ghostbusters. Either Feig quietly gets the boot and another director signs on and GB 2 is made into a very different film or they reboot it again or try to do Ghostbusters 3. I agree if it hits around that magic number, Sony is going to be desprate enough to try again, but no one is going to be dumb enough to finance the same bomb all over again.

Yeah, Sony have set up an entire production company called GHOST CORPS headed up by Aykroyd and Reitman with the aim of spinning out as many Ghostbusters movies and TV shows as possible, if FemmeBusters doesn't stack up they can just wheel out the Channin Tatum crew and say it was their plan all along to make the second film with that team.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 16, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Father Wendigo posted:

There were already rumblings of something animated, and they are on track to have their lunch eaten by a mediocre animated film that's done unexpectedly well. That's where my money is.

Yeah they've even announced a director for the animated version, that'll probably go ahead regardless

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They announced a few months ago that Clash of Clans animation director Fletcher Moules has signed on to direct an animated GB movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH3Xu1-cvII

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

natetimm posted:

I guess the new Ghostbusters made around 15 mil last night? I think assuming that will mean it makes 45 mil this weekend is pretty generous considering all the empty theater posts I'm seeing. What would be the amount that you could call it a bomb at after this weekend? 30 mil? 25 mil?

The Thurs/Fri estimate is $17.2 million and they're projecting $46.5m for the weekend overall. It was #1 on Friday but should lose out to the Life of Pets animated film on Sat/Sun.

Early projections had it making between $38m to $40m but Sony had a HUGE advertising campaign this last week and the projection was upgraded to $45m - $50m, so it's doing better than the early projections predicted and falling into the low range of the more recent predictions. It's doing about as well as they expected.
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/box-office-ghostbusters-secret-life-of-pets-2-1201815841/

We won't have any way of predicting how well it'll do overall until we get an idea of the numbers for next weekend, word of mouth will be a big factor and there's no way of predicting whether things will pick up or whether the film blew its wad already.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

NutritiousSnack posted:

Hilarously this was the worst case scenario for everyone. Sony is going to take the lesson "women aren't funny from this" but that GB is a valuable brand despite it. Instead expect animated retools or a "smarter" GB 3 soft reboot or some other dumb poo poo with Sandler type comedy and one of the two is going to break over 200 million and make us all suffer.

Fuuuuck :(

If GB had brought in $50m this weekend I bet Sony would have announced the sequel sometime Saturday as part of the "We're completely happy with this project and we were always behind it, please continue printing positive articles about our obviously successful film k thnx" promo push they usually pull at this point of things.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

So, I saw a thing.

I guess I should back up a bit first and explain my entire experience going to see this film. A few weeks ago a buddy of mine who is a big time fan of Ghostbusters asked if I'd be interested in having a small get together/viewing party for some of the more hardcore GB16 fans. Since I figured the film needed as much positive energy as possible, I was keen as mustard.

I should preface this with a little backstory about my friend Topher; He's always been a direhard GB fan (whereas I have never seen the first film, and TBQH i honestly don't think I want to after all the hate from the fans of the original) and he does a LOT of charity stuff using the Ghostbusters. To put it in perspective, he's pretty much the biggest name in Ghostbusters fandom in the entire South Bay/Santa Clara area. Him and some other buddies dress up as the GBs and do charity events/fundraisers/visit hospitals and the like, all out of pocket out of a love for both the film and charity work. A few years back he was actually able to get his hands on a 1959 Cadillac Professional chassis, which for those of you who have been living under a rock is the Ecto-1 from the original Ghostbusters film. Toph spent three years and a pretty penny having the thing done up to look like an exact replica from the film, even down to the siren.

Now, I had always been sort of ambivalent to the whole thing. Honestly, I kind of thought it was a waste of money. But if Topher said it made him happy, then I was happy for him. Cut to my sudden wellspring of interest for GB16. Toph knew I was a diehard Feighead and when GB16 season finally rolled around he asked me if I wanted to accompany him and a few of our mutuals who were going to dress up in full GB cosplay and pull up to the Ecto-1 theatre with the siren and GB16 theme blaring and everything, basically making a huge entrance and showing everyone that the REAL fans of this film were happy to see it opening night. Again, naturally, I jumped at the occasion. Not gonna lie, I had been having a pretty hard year up until that point. Not gonna get into specifics, but let's just say that constantly arguing with Ghostbros and Haters every day was taking it's toll on me. I definitely needed a fun, carefree night out.

We spent weeks getting all the preparations just so. Since I decided I'm going to take a break for a while from College, I used the money I was going to put towards classes this semester and went out and bought a BUNCH of GB16 merch. Like, an ungodly amount. My sister still insists that I'm slowly turning into a hoarder, but I know for a fact that a LOT of this stuff is going to be really rare and valuable some day. Plus, I knew that buying every piece of merch for this film in sight was in my own small way helping Feig and co. fight the good fight against the misogynists and sexists, so it really filled me with a sense of pride. We went all out with this. I had my costume fitted by a professional tailor weeks in advance just for the occasion. Green slime twinkies, Candy, GB16 PArty City party favor stuff, the works. And of course, literal cases upon cases of of Ecto Cooler (seriously, if you're in the Bay Area and can't find any, it's probably our fault. #sorrynotsorry :v: ). Things were looking to be the makings of a fantastic night. Friday morning we loaded up the ECTO-1 with the goods, donned our trademark outfits and set out to see the biggest comedy event of the year.

I'm not going to lie to you, pulling out of Topher's driveway and speeding down the road with the lights, siren, and theme song going (Toph added bonnet-mounted speakers just so people can hear us blast the theme) was absolutely exhilarating. It was pretty much the closest thing anyone can get to being a real Ghostbuster. Pun intended :v: . Seriously though, it was absolutely incredible. Just seeing the look on people's faces as we passed them by was worth a thousand words. People were pointing and cheering, some filming with their cell phones. There was even a guy who was holding a sign advertising a furniture store who actually started dancing and spinning the sign, throwing it up in the air and everything! All just for us! It really warmed my heart to see everyone so filled with joy thanks to us.

It really was the peak of the day. We had the theme going on loop (GB16/Fallout boy version for authenticity, plus Tophs ipod touch that had the original theme on it died because he forgot to charge it) Our two other friends Gregg and Tim, also huge GB heads, were in the backseat, singing along with us, cracking Ecto-Coolers, opening Twinkies, and passing them up to us. It really was the highlight of what ended up being a pretty rough night. I guess I can't stall any more, so I'll just explain what happened next.

Over the past few months, I had become a GIGANTIC Holtzmann-head. (Seriously, Kate McKinnon is like, literally my favourite person on the planet right now. I absolutely adore how she mugs for the camera literally every time she's on screen, it's the cutest and funniest thing in the world and I was absolutely smitten by the end of the film...is she single? Hey, where's there's hope there's good fortune as my great-grandfather used to say! :) ) and we were all quoting our favourite lines from the trailers. Tim actually got one of the quotes wrong, which, on any other day I'd let pass but, well, today was GB16 day and I was not having it. We got into what eventually became a kinda heated argument about it until Toph decided to settle it by looking the quote up on his iPad. He turned around to show us the actual quote (I was right, of course #humblebrag) but unfortunately that's when the night took a turn for the worse.

Maybe it was the excitement, maybe it was all the Ecto-cooler, maybe the theme song was being cranked too loud. Maybe it was the siren. Honestly at this point I'm still not even sure, but I guess Topher missed a red light while he was mediating our spat and missed it and sped into an intersection. Next thing I knew there was a huge crash and the sound of glass breaking.

Toph had ran a red light into the intersection and we got t-boned by a tractor trailer. The Ecto-1 actually got flipped in the process, and skidded for several feet until finally knocking down a Dairy Queen sign and grinding to a halt. You know how in Call of Duty when the character takes a hit and he's all disoriented at first? Well, it was just like that, except a LOT scarier. I crawled out from the wreckage and surveyed the scene. The ECTO-1 was totaled, with smoke coming out of it. The front of the tractor trailer was a mess, but otherwise intact. Ironically, it was actually a Twinkie delivery truck with a huge GB16 ad on the side. Slimer's huge face smiled at me, almost as if he was mocking me. There were juice boxes and cans of Ecto-cooler everywhere, mixed with crushed Green Slime Twinkies, along with bits of metal, plastic, and broken glass all over the road. The smell of spilled Ecto Cooler, brunt rubber, and engine fluid filled the hot July air.

I literally think Harold Ramis was honestly watching over us last night because amazingly no one was seriously injured. We all had minor cuts, scrapes and bruises and the like, but otherwise fine. The truck driver was fine and already over on the sidewalk on the phone with 911. Gregg had a minor panic attack when he initially couldn't get free from the vehicle because his replica proton pack was stuck, but eventually we convinced him to ditch it and take it off so he could get free. I gave him a Green Slime Twinkie and he seemed to calm down a bit. I sat down on the curb. By this point I was pretty bummed. We were most certainly going to miss the 7:00 showing (arguably the biggest showing of a Friday night), the ECTO-1 was totaled beyond salvage, and the police had found Topher to be at fault, and took him downtown for booking for the night. Pardon the pun, but our 'spirits' were pretty low. That's when suddenly a can of Ecto-Cooler rolled over and hit my boot.

Now, this was a completely windless and still night. No gusts at all, no reason for this can to roll over to me. But, honestly, I took it as a sign. A sign that no matter what, Ghostbusters don't give up, despite any setbacks or sexism they may face. I felt like I could practically see Harold Ramis' ghost smiling at me and gesturing to the movie theater down the block. I cracked it open and took a sip. It felt powerful. The tangy orange flavor simultaneously quenched my thirst and filled me with a burning desire in my throat and I suddenly gained my second wind. I triumphantly stood up I explained to my friends that we were still going to see this film, injuries or accidents be damned. At first they didn't want to, but I explained to them the revelation I had just had and how the Ghostbusters never give up, and by the end of my speech they were on board completely.

We hailed a cab and made our way to the theater. By that point it was about 9pm and we still had a chance of making the last showing. We finally arrived and made our way to the box office. After we got our tickets however, our courage was again tested. As we were in line getting our bags of Popcorn and sodas, two of the most bro-ish, dick-ish looking bros swaggered out of an Independence Day 2 showing (apparently that violent piece of crap film is still making the rounds), literally throwing their snack garbage onto the floor for the employees to clean up. One was tall and gangly, wearing a trenchcoat, camo shorts, combat boots and (ugh) as Washington Redskins cap. The other was some short fat douche in a tracksuit and a "make america great again" hat. They took one look at us, gave a knowing smile towards each other, and from that moment on I knew they wanted to start some crap. I tried my best to channel my inner Holtzmann and stared off into space, mugging at an invisible "camera." Sure enough though, they come up to us with some bullshit.

I've conviently layed out this convo using emoticons:

Me: :what:
Douche 1: :mrapig:
Douche 2: :gary:

:mrapig: : "Well well well, whatta we have here bro? Looks like a coupla CUCKS who actually want to see that Femenazi Trash, the new Ghostbusters!

:gary: :"Huh huh! Yeah, boss! That's funny! Cucks!" , they laughed to each other like hyinas. I kept my cool, though, and used my trademark acid tongue to give them a verbal tongue lashing they'd soon not forget."

:what: :"Aww, how cute," I cooed, "The Troglodytes graduated into 5th grade and learned a new insult. How clever." I said while rolling my eyes. That seemed to really prick the short one.

:mrapig: :"You actually mean to tell me people want to see this Trash? Can't believe you're giving Paul FAG (author's note:the director, Paul Feig, has had to deal with a literal torrent of abuse from these sorts of cavemen, and they all have the same one note, uncreative joke: changing his last name into a hurtful, hateful slur pejorative used to describe gay folk) any of your money!"

:what: :"Not only am I giving him my money tonight", I parry'd, "I'm going every night this week! So why don't you buzz off, bozo! I'm sure there's a NASCAR game you can go home and watch"

"Ooohhhh, epic burn", my friends said, backing me up.

Well, that really seemed to anger him. His face turned beet red and he started shouting at me. By this point most of the people waiting in line began to notice us.

:mrapig: : "YOU LISTEN HERE YOU MANGINA, I DON'T GIVE TWO CRAPS ABOUT YOU AND YOUR FRIENDS THNIK!!!!! THIS MOVIE IS TRASH!!!!! YOU ARE loving TRASH! THIS MOVIE WAS MADE TO FORCE FEMENAZI BULLCRAP ON INNOCENT MALE GHOST BUSTERS FANS OF THE ORIGINAL 1984 CLASSIC!!! WOMEN CAN'T BE GHOSTBUSTERS, NOR HOLD PRESTIGIOUS POSITIONS IN THE STEM FIELD!!! THEY BELONG IN THE KITCHEN MAKING ME A SANDWICH! ALTHOUGH I BET MELLISSA MCCARTHY ALREADY ATE THEM ALL WITH HER FAT rear end!!"

Well, that about it did it for me. Insult me all you like, but no one disses Mama Bear (seriously, I was a huge M.Mccarthy fan going way back to her Mike and Molly days. if you haven't seen this amazingly hilarious and touching show you can get almost all the episodes on dvd/hulu/amazon instant. I highly recommend) and we had already been through *way* too much poo poo tonight. In a sudden burst of rage I shoved him hard, and him and his buddy toppled over each other and fell clear through an Angry Birds cardboard cutout and right into a big candy rack and soda dispenser. They were covered in soda and cotton candy, raisinettes and mike and ikes. Essentially tarred and feathered, film buff style. Humiliated, they immediately got up and high tailed it out of there, clearly humiliated. On the floor, I noticed the one bro was so scared he dropped his MAGA hat and had left it behind. I picked it up and waved it at them as they fled.

"YOU FORGOT THIS, YOU SEXIST PRICKS!" I yelled triumphantly throwing it to the ground and stomping it with my boot.

While my rage was still ringing in my ears, I eventually heard a sound I don't usually hear. At first I thought it was just popcorn popping, but it was actually applause. I turned around to see the entire lobby applauding and cheering for us. For once, Brains had triumphed over violent and bigoted brawn. The manager at the theater came up to me and personally thanked me, saying they had been having problems with those two particular trouble makers for quite some time. I told them it was all in a days work. Right after that, a woman approached me. Turns out she was a retired female astronaut, and had heard the whole thing. She actually begin crying as she told me how brave I was for sticking up for women in the STEM field. I was humbled by her candor. We embraced for a moment while she wept, and I told her everything was alright now, the Ghostbusters were here.

At that exact moment, the manager started pumping the GB theme through the lobby speakers. I stood up, dusted myself off, and put my fist in the air as we danced to our theater. Everyone was clapping, dancing and chanting "Ghost-busters! Ghost-busters!" as we triumphantly made our way to see what we'd been waiting all this time to see.

Inside, the theater was completely empty (Makes sense though honestly. it was a p.late showing, you rarely see people at 9pm Friday night showings so it didn't bother me much. Didn't bother me much at all really.) so we had our pick of seats. We sat down front and center, and let the magic wash over us. Two hours later, I felt like I had been reborn.

So how did it stack up? Well, after everything is said and done: loving fantastic. Seriously, best movie of 2016, possibly of the 2010s. It's the best Ghostbusters for sure. (Well, full disclosure: I've only seen bits and pieces of the first film on tv here and there but overall this seemed like a MUCH better film.) And it was effing hilarious. There were scenes that had me literally rolling in the aisles crying with laughter. The cameos were hilarious and on point, too. Particularly Bill Murray's, you could really tell that he wanted to be there. And it was scary as all get out. I'm glad I had my plush slimer with me because honestly I needed to hide under it a few different times during this. The ghosts looked amazing, mad props to the aCgi Dept on this one because the ghosts literally looked real. It was that scary. Thankfully the G-busters were there to clean house. Seriously, the action scenes in this are enthralling and perfectly shot. This chicks will make you laugh,mbut they can also kick serious butt. What Paul Feig and Co. have done here is absolutely wonderful and spell binding. This is a de-factor tour de fource of cinema, how movies should be made, period. I mean, don't get me wrong. Even I admit it's not the most intellectual of films. This isn't some deep, nuanced art flick like Citizen Kane or Hunger Games or something. This is a fun popcorn flick you go see to forget about life's woes for a few hours. As long as you don't go in like a Grumpy Gus™, are willing to switch your brain off and enjoy something for once, you're going to have a great time.

Moreover, this film is Imporant. It's important, because it shows young girls that they can have something to look up to. That women *can* be Ghostbusters, and they *can* become prominent and famous in the world of STEM and the like. I don't have a daughter, but if I did you can drat be sure I'd be taking her to this every night, wether she wanted to see it again or not. It's literally that imperative to me. This film should be mandatory viewing for all Grade school and College students. Hopefully the Library of Congress decides to add this gem to it's storied collection sooner rather than later. It is just that good.

As I type this, I'm putting the finishing touches on a GB16 cake me and the gang made for Topher. Seeing as he wont be released until Monday, we decided to surprise him at the lockup with a GB16 cake and some Green Slime Twinkies and Ecto-Cooler we managed to salvage from the side of the road. We're going to have a mini-GB16 party right there in the precinct before we leave to go see it again tonight. As I put the finishing touches on this cake I really realize the power cinema truly has to transport us to another world, thrill us, chill us, make us laugh, cry, and cheer. That's just how drat powerful Cinema can be. Cinema has the power to change society for the better. That I think is the most humbling thing about all this. And it's why I wholeheartedly recommend this film to literally anyone with a pulse who still has a heart and a sense of wonder and humor. After all the years of months and hate, after all the internet debates, after all the poop-slinging and attacks on the filmmakers character, I can truly say it delivers. This is a film who's praises deserve to be shouted from the mountain tops for all to hear. It is nothing short of a masterpiece. Ghostheads and non-ghostheads alike, everyone who still has shred of joy left in their hearts will love this film.

Verdict: Bustin' Makes Us All Feel Good, Man or Woman. Stop reading this post, drop what you are doing, and run out and see GB16 right this instant. Case closed. Here's hoping the subsequent sequels are greenlit post haste.

5/5 stars.

:allears: :love:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Harald posted:

A remake of Armageddon but the asteroid is crawling with those killer gorillas from Congo

Donkey Kong adaptation lookin' good

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Sony's president of marketing and distribution Josh Greenstein has gone on record saying that they're "ecstatic" with Feig's Ghostbusters and they're planning on making a whole bunch of sequels

quote:

“There absolutely will be more [films],” said Josh Greenstein, Sony’s marketing and distribution chief. “This is a restart of one of our most important brands.”
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/ghostbusters-box-office-1201816000/

quote:

But ticket sales for “Ghostbusters” were strong enough to merit revelry nonetheless. “We’re totally ecstatic,” Josh Greenstein, Sony’s president of marketing and distribution, said by phone.

quote:

Mr. Greenstein said he expected the generously reviewed reboot to perform well in the weeks ahead. “Paul’s movies have big, huge, high multiples, and there are no big comedies on the horizon,” he said. Amid more straightforward summer remakes and sequels, “the movie is both new and nostalgic, which makes it stand out,” he added.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/18/movies/ghostbusters-is-no-2-behind-secret-life-of-pets-but-sonys-giddy.html?_r=0

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Grimace posted:

If the movie didn't have the "Ghostbusters" moniker, there wouldn't be anywhere near as much drama from the PR fallout as there was, but it also would not appeal to a larger audience consisting of existing Ghostbuster fans either. It's an interesting prospect, but I don't think it's easy to gauge how well the movie would have done otherwise.

Also if the movie didn't have the "Ghostbusters" moniker it wouldn't have been greenlit with a $170 million production budget (which later got cut back), or given a $100m+ promotional budget, or opened nationally on approx 4000 screens. Sony really threw a lot behind it. It's Sony's most expensive film for 2016 and even after all this it'll probably end up being their biggest grossing film for the year - their biggest box office draw for 2016 so far has been Angry Birds which brought in $106m in the US and GB2016 should pass that, but even then there's a good chance that Angry Birds will have a bigger worldwide gross.

So yeah, it's hasn't been a great year for Sony and it's no wonder they're trying to put a positive spin on GB2016 and telling everyone they're happy with how it turned out. "N-no, it's great, we love it. We truly truly love it. We didn't get hosed in the rear end at all, just ignore all that blood streaming from our anus. That's liquid joy! We're making GBS threads liquid joy, that's how happy we are with the recent turn of events! We're just so happy!"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

NutritiousSnack posted:

It already opened in 2/3 of the big markets in the foreign market and next week is going to be a tough one for a film already deflating, so no. It's not even going to make 144 million worldwide

Eh, various industry sites have been going on and on about how Paul Feig's movies have an average multiplier of 4.778 so if his past results are any indicator it'll pass $200m domestically but on the other hand no one can see it having the box office legs that Bridesmaids did, plus it may have shot it's wad in its first weekend with people just turning up out of curiosity. We won't really be able to tell how well it'll do until we see the numbers for next weekend which will tell us whether it can hold onto an audience or whether they're gonna drop it like a hot turd.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

NutritiousSnack posted:

How much did CineD actually buy that bullshit PR spin from Sony? Are some people there laughing at least?

Yeah the reaction in CineD has been "Sony hosed up"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Why do most studios care about the Chinese market?

There's a general trend of less Americans going to see films every year, so expect to see a lot more of this:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 19, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pvt.Scott posted:

Why even make films for the US any longer though? They're just wasting a big chunk of what they might make in the US on advertising and distribution and poo poo.

Hollywood should just treat the US like the third income stream after China and India we are and only release the movies they make to the states after the big customers have had their taste.

They're starting to go that way already, which is why that recent Transformers film suddenly shifted all the action to China for the second half of the film and why a bunch of other recent films have been co-produced by Chinese backers.

G-Mach posted:

The US is only allowed to import something like 34 movies in total per year to China and India has it's own movie industry.

China only allowed 34 foreign films in total every year and they'll occasionally bring in something from non-US countries. Apparently they'll be slightly increasing that number soon.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Y-Hat posted:

but you see Ghostbusters made more money in its opening weekend than Angry Birds, and it should be on pace to make more than it domestically. furthermore *large stain in front of pants grows bigger*

Well it did, but Angry Birds also brought in $75 million in China and Ghostbusters won't get any of that action. Angry Birds' production budget was also only 50% of what Sony paid for Ghostbusters

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

NutritiousSnack posted:

Angry Birds succeeded overseas, while Ghostbusters has less momentum over there and less access to foreign markets too

It probably also has a much lower nostalgia factor in many foreign countries .... not that the nostalgia factor has been all that beneficial in the US.

Edit: I'm seeing a whole bunch of positive word of mouth on Facebook, lots of women talking it up. Dunno how widespread that is or how much it'll help the film in the coming weeks.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

je1 healthcare posted:

By the 90s it hit a fever pitch, and people like to forget just how many nostalgic reboots were made back then. Except then it was about dredging up stuff baby boomers grew up with (two Flintstones films, three Adams family movies, two for the Brady Bunch, three for Dennis the Menace)

I was curious about what other baby boomer stuff was adapted in the 90s so I had a quick look and there was a whooooole lot of them: The Beverly Hillbillies, The Sandlot Kids, The Little Rascals, Leave It to Beaver, Richie Rich, Casper, 101 Dalmatians, The Nutty Professor, Mars Attacks!, Flubber, Mr. Magoo, Doctor Dolittle, Lost in Space, The Avengers, Wild Wild West, Dick Tracy, My Favorite Martian, Lassie, Dudley Do-Right, McHale's Navy, Pippi Longstocking and probably more

gently caress THIS poo poo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-FhWLCmI-w

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Ghostbusters' popularity probably contributed to the ghost hunting TV series boom which started in the late 90s but movies like Poltergeist and earlier shows like "In Search Of..." would have also been factors.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Groovelord Neato posted:

is there any part of the new ghostbusters that could be construed as scary? the library, fridge, and chair scene are all scary in the first movie.

it seems way too bright and comical to pull off any horror elements.

There's a jump scare right at the start and there's a scene in the subway where there a really creepy ghost slowly approaching the Ghostbusters and at first all you can see is his glowing eyes. Small kids might find those scenes a little scary.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

je1 healthcare posted:

Dick Tracy was greenlit probably because of Batman as it was another 1930s detective comic and holy heck how did it get nominated for 7 oscars.

Not only that but it won three Oscars. They'd always planned on making a bunch of sequels but the poo poo hit the fan pretty much immediately after the film premiered.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Beatty has always wanted to do a sequel (even though Disney dropped it after they were disappointed with the first film's reception) but there was an issue with the rights (plus his executive producers were suing him over the movie) which wasn't resolved until 2013. 23 years of legal bullshit must have sucked. Wikipedia has a rundown of all the legal bullshit and reports that Beatty has been talking about a sequel as recently as April this year.

Here's the TV special he made in 2008:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdFbiRK-UaY

Beatty still hasn't given up on the idea of making more Dick Tracy films.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Kate McKinnon is going to be so embarrassed when someone explains to her that licking a gun is something that you're only allowed to do if you're trying to titillate men. She's going to be so mad at Paul Feig for tricking her into doing that!!

Edit: whoa, someone better tell Tank Girl as well

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jul 22, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Groovelord Neato posted:

when they remake jaws there will be riots in the streets.

It looks like the rights are still with Amblin (now called Amblin Partners, an amalgamation of Amblin, Dreamworks and Participant Media and part of the Universal group) and Spielberg said in an interview last year that he'll never remake any of his Amblin films. If anyone wants to remake Jaws they'd have a hell of a legal battle on their hands.
http://www.avclub.com/article/steven-spielberg-will-never-remake-jaws-might-rema-229953

Not that we need another shark film, what with films like The Shallows and SyFy's Sharknado quatrology and the Sharktopus trilogy etc flooding the market.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Klyith posted:

that's a gently caressman

God drat it, I knew I shouldn't have laminated my bucket list

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Don Tacorleone posted:

There's another King Kong remake coming out, starring black actor guy and Fred flint stone

You search for it, but I can tell you right now after watching the trailer: it's gonna suck

Also they embiggened Kong so he's capable of taking on Godzilla in the upcoming crossover, because you can't make an action movie without it being part of a shared universe these days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E591L_sxw-k

As a fan of the original Japanese King Kong Versus Godzilla I appreciate their subtle nod to the classic in making this new Kong look like a man in a suit. :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

JediTalentAgent posted:

If it happens, I'm sure there will be some Hot Topic knockoffs to make it happen called "Lil' Olden Books" that will be juuust close enough to LGBs to look like them, but just different enough to fall under some sort of unique or parody protection.

Suicide Squad* seems like it would have been a good testbed for such a thing.
*edit: I take that back. Walking Dead or Breaking Bad should have pioneered this about a year or two ago.

From here:
http://jspiotto.blogspot.is/search/label/Little%20Golden%20Books
There's a whoooole bunch of 'em

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

bloodysabbath posted:

So Ghostbusters had a 50%+ drop this week, off an opening that was piss poor for a $144m+ marketing tentpole. Overseas it's even worse, it didn't crack the top five, which puts the weekend international take at under Dory's $19m.

So, two week total on a film costing all in north of $250m is ~75m domestic and negligible international. Those numbers are going to shrink even further from here on out.

That's the two weekend totals, the full domestic gross is $86m, with a worldwide gross of $122m. And a 50%+ drop off for the second weekend is pretty standard, Deadpool dropped -57.4% for its second weekend, X-Men: Apocalypse dropped -65.3% and Batman v Superman dropped -69.1%,

• Locked thread