Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Paul Fieg posted:

Poor men. You hear them at the office, in restaurants, in bars, their brains filled with meaningless facts about sports, cars and electronics as they entertain friends with their endless jokes about genitalia and bathroom activities, not to mention their humorous accusations as to the sexual orientation of their conversation partners. They loudly amuse themselves by hurling insults and epithets -- the words "dick," "balls" and "rear end" being the etymological anchors of their attacks -- all for the express purpose of making one another laugh. They seem to be having such a great time that you'd feel like a monster alerting them to this one unfortunate fact: Men just aren't funny.

Oh, sure, there are men who truly make us laugh. None come to mind at the moment, but I know history has provided us with a few. Euripides was sort of a jokester. English poet John Donne got off a corker every once in a while. But in general, the male species' sense of humor seldom rises above the enjoyment of watching one of their own take a swift shot to the testicles.

It makes sense. Men are genetically programmed to hunt and gather. It is they who must impregnate the herd and protect the collective. And so it's only logical that their brains would need to possess lower humor standards in order to pass the hours entertainingly with their cohorts while stalking that night's dinner or standing guard against the enemy. Imagine if they had to amuse their fellow warriors with jokes and banter that were actually funny. That impossibly high standard would leave them in such despair that they would become easy prey. Imagine the despondent hero, now tribeless, wandering the wastelands and muttering in tragic self-awareness, "I can't believe I thought those limericks about that guy from Nantucket were funny."

And so nature has provided humankind with two biological safeguards: 1) an intellectual anomaly that allows males to believe that they and their friends are funny, and 2) a survival instinct that impels women to laugh at men's jokes. As long as the men feel good about themselves, no matter how delusionary those feelings may be, the tribe will continue to function.

Is modern society now ready to transition away from the Myth of Male Hilarity? After all, today's world has erased most of the survival needs that once required a woman to inflate the comedic self-worth of the men around her. Grocery stores, police departments and in vitro fertilization perform the functions once reserved for her Y-chromosome counterparts. The 21st-century woman is finally free to reveal her comedic superiority and inform her penised inferiors that they will never again be permitted to make that "in my pants" joke.

Alas, women's evolved nature, along with their desire to avoid the dystopian nightmare of men trying even harder to be funny, causes them to withhold the soul-crushing revelation of masculine jocular inferiority. But many more women now also will continue to follow bravely in the footsteps of those pioneering females who elicited laughter before them, risking societal harmony in the name of making the world a more hilarious place.

So, hail to thee, funny women. Continue to remove the bushels from your bright and uproarious lights, and we in the know will laugh politely at the "funny men" as we wink to one another behind their desperate but well-meaning backs. It's just the right thing to do.

It's interesting to me that the director of the new Ghostbusters is a big fan of :biotruths:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

The new Star Trek movie from the director of Furious 7

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

NutritiousSnack posted:

Please inform when Lady Ghostbusters box office results come in so i know what annoying articles to except next week

Opening night makes it look like it's gonna make its budget back and not much else but it depends on if foreign audiences can see movies about ghosts or not.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

bloodysabbath posted:

Holy God how do you write this when you just made a movie containing a walking minstrel show and at least one ghost goop in the oval office joke?

Well I mean he's a man so clearly anything he makes isn't funny.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

eric posted:

Lol there's definitely not going to be another ghost busters. Sony is a trash company being kept on life support by the ps4.

A lot of people keep saying this but Sony's most consistent profits have always come from their Insurance and Financials division, which they only operate in Japan for some reason.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUEKreyTkvA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

This is funny though.

• Locked thread