Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
This soft reboot of the Ghostbuster thread is all about Hollywood remakes, do-overs, reboots and unwanted sequels.

We all know Hollywood is a cold, empty shell of what it used to be. (a criminal cess pit used for laundering money and coke) But it's never been more apparent than in the last few years.

Hollywood, like the sticky bandits from Home Alone 2, (Remember that? Expect a reboot with a cameo from Kevin soon ;)) have been dipping their glove made of duct tape into our collective brains and hoping to scoop out a few choice nuggets of nostalgia to feed back to us at an inflated price.

REMEMBER THESE FILMS?

Jurassic Park
Ghostbusters
Independence Day
Terminator
Predator
IT
and Buckaroo Banzai?

Well they're all coming back IN THREE DEE and this is the place to talk about them.

For a kick-off, let's get one thing straight.

THE THING by John carpenter isn't a remake of "The Thing from Another World", buster. It's a more straight adaptation of the book, "Who Goes There."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
It's more diverse yet lacks the bite and the cutting satire of the original, true. But just turn you're brain off and it's an alright distraction.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Nation posted:

are they really doing a new predator??

yeah, it's called THE Predator. Shane Black is writing it and didn't he help co-write the original? And that's why there was a huge geek in this band of hardened bad-asses because he was on set writing it as they went?

Fingers crossed it'll be good.

Would anyone consider PREDATORS to be a pseudo remake of the first? because you have the big dude with the mini-gun and the proud dude with a bladed weapon who goes one on one with a Pred at the end...

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Besides Event Horizon and Mortal Kombat anything Paul W.S. Anderson touches turns to sub-par dreck. His name is the death knell for any interesting sounding franchise.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Nation posted:

is this the one i was talking about

Yeah Adrian brody and the kid from that 70s show find Laurence Fishburn in a gutter and he's insane and they have dog aliens.

It was pretty good from what I remember... Which is not much, so i should watch it again.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Didn't they already do that and made the girl black or something and the potter fans went apeshit?

edit: Googled it. It's a play or some poo poo. lol who cares about stage plays. hello? It's called CGI, dudes.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

YEAH! Now we're talking again.

Also that MTV Ghostbuster review was the worst thing penned by anybody living or dead. Hahaha.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Germstore posted:

gender swapped Ginger Snaps remake

I was going to make a joke about a dude bleeding from his dick but that already happens for some reason, doesn't it? Like he got a werewolf std that made his dick bleed? Or am I misremembering?

Mozi posted:

i can see it - the 'league of extraordinary gentlemen of their own'!

They're actually making an all-female League of Extraordinary Gentlemen film. Not sure if it will be lady heroes from old books or just a gender swapped cast. It'll suck either way.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Applewhite posted:

So much this.

But Verhoven please come back to Hollywood we need you more than ever.

God, do we ever.

Could this ever happen though? In todays market where the top grossing movies are all super mens(and womyns) and everyone is a huge cry baby? Could we have a glorious return of Verhoven-esque movies that are just no holds barred loving rad on a surface level yet so much more?

We need to bring cocaine back as the hip drug to do. What are the kids into these days? mkat and bath salts? When did a bunch of creative typoes ever make a great film whilst their arms rotted off?

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I loving love Hellraiser and my entire formative years were moulded by that film and I'd love a remake.

Though after, what? 8 lovely sequels I'd say my love for that franchise has been thoroughly raped anyway so how much worse could a remake be. lol

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Been reading the CineD thread (lol, why?) and people describing the scenes in the film make it sound exactly how I'd imagine a Paul Fieg Ghostbusters film to be like. An extended sequence where Wiig is trying to hide her monitor from someone and it just keeps going and going as she ad-libs more and more wacky ways to obscure the screen? Sure. He's just let the camera roll and said, "Just go for it, Wiig." Like in SPY where you have the scene with Miranda Hart and someone else ad-libbing and doing a bit about working in this spy centre and they just get into generic office jokes, "The walls are full of rats!" etc. You think this is going to mean something, like this spy centre, which until that point has looked and operated like the most slick nasa poo poo you could imagine, is actually a facade and it's falling down around them... But no. Fieg just said, "Have fun!" And then you get a scene about rats in the walls that amounts to nothing.

I'd love to read the actual script. Not the retro-scripted, finished script. The one he had on location.

"Says here we're filming the scene where we discuss the ghost the threw up on Wiig. The page is blank, Paul."
"Just go for it. Have fun!"

Then Wiig talks about slime in her rear end.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I can't believe people are still using the, "How about you see the movie before criticizing it!?" argument.

It's a Fieg movie about ghost fart and queef jokes featuring an almost entirely ad-libbed script. That'd be damning enough even without the trailers, clips and leaked script.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Dapper_Swindler posted:

pretty much, a smarter script and a different director would have saved the movie easy.

People have pointed out that there was a lot of ad-libbing in the original, but like you say, there's a strong scrip there with strong characterization for the actors to work with so they're not breaking character (or in the case of SPY) breaking the core world the film is set in.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Of all the fallout I was expecting over this film I wasn't expecting this. Maybe a few awfully written clickbait articles ala "stupi baby man"

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
More like Alt-F4

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Apparently they're rebooting The Tick:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/first-look-at-amazons-the-tick-reboot

Good lord, that costume looks awful

Yeah... I mean, I get that The Tick isn't MEANT to be "good" or whatever but that's just needlessly weird and dumb. At least Serafinowicz is cool, though he'll never be Warbuton. :allears:

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
They're always moving the goalposts. Deadpool had that UFC woman in it kicking rear end but that doesn't count because she was hot and had cleavage. It also had Negasonic Teenage Warhead kicking rear end but that didn't count because she's hot and didn't have enough screen time and I can guarantee they didn't like whatshername from Firefly "being in peril"... Also she was hot.

They? Who are they? Some random straw-womyn... But I dunno, maybe e-mail whoever wrote that piece and ask why none of the above counts as examples of strong women in film.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
As an aside I wonder what that person thinks about Harley Quinn as a character. She's clearly sexualised, yet kicks an almighty amount of rear end and I don't know any women (in real life, obviously) who don't completely loving love her.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Someone remake Barb Wire but she's a 30-something woman who sits in her house all day in a baggy sweatshirt and she has 8 cats who she calls her babies please she knows karate and can kill a man at 50 yards but we don't show it because that's not what defines her

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Did someone say a Short Circuit remake?

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I wonder if it was Fieg or the studio who cut the dance number and how did Fieg feel about it?

Because I'm reminded of an anecdote about Red Dwarf 10 where there's a big dance number and everyone loving hated it but the cast and crew involved put their hearts and souls into it and they were kinda crushed that people reacted to it so poorly.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Ork of Fiction posted:

They showed the dance number during the credits.

That's even more bizarre then because they definitely cut it due to the backlash. They might SAY they did it for editing or time, but it was even cut from the trailers after people started making fun of it online.

So to cut it and stick it in the credits? Just seems real odd.

Anyway, wanna see the Blair Warlock Project.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
The only good thing is it's being done by someone who is fresh on the scene and made two extraordinary films beforehand. It MIGHT not be trash... But I haven't seen the trailers yet.

lol look at me making judgements about a film I haven't seen yet based on the directors track record.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
It's her younger brother looking for her now, after 15 years. I believe.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Isn't he proclaimed as some genius writer? How so, when he basically just tells people to improv on camera?

Never seen Freaks & Geeks, was that a heavily scripted masterpiece or something?

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I should have guessed it was just weirdo's claiming it to be the best thing on telly. All of them Firefly fans too.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
It really sucks that the parody genre was tarnished by those two with all the "Movie movies" because when it's done well it's loving great.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

red19fire posted:

For the best of the actual 80s B-movie, I humbly suggest Miami Connection.

I'm going to have that song stuck in my head all day now. :pervert:

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Was the twist in THE VISIT that the gran was an escaped lunatic? Because it would have been funnier if she was just in the late stages of dementia.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I want to remake it where they are just losing their minds and it scares the kids that they're walking around with no clothes on and making GBS threads on the floor.

Not seen the film but how the hell does that work anyway? Ok, so I take it they go and visit without their parents and they haven't seen their grandad in a while. But surely they must have seen some pictures of them or something. There's a lot of contrivances there to set up that "twist".

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Nerds on Facebook are getting upset about the new Pennywise in the "IT" remake because he looks sinister and scary. It's just a promo picture, so of course they made him look like an evil clown.

Also the Ben Hurr remake is flopping HARD... Good!

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Oh drat, I didn't read that. Well yeah, complaints are valid then. Why dress like a clown and lure kids in with balloons if you're just going to Xenomorph them. Dude scaring kids to make them taste nicer was the whole drat point.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Just a reminder that caring about things is cool and good. ITT we care about films and cinema in general and most of the time we're kinda bummed out by remakes because they're slowly killing cinema.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I should read IT one of these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

mind the walrus posted:

That puts me in-mind of an idea-- every new Nightmare should have a different Freddy relative to the cast and location of the new movie. They can still do sequel-interlock and maybe even put in a new "Prime Freddy" coaching them, but it really helps vary up the formula and give a potential new hook to each installment (black Freddy, lady Freddy, gay Freddy, foreign Freddy, team-ups of survivors and Freddys).

Spider-Freddy, Fruit-Freddy, Electric-Freddy, Hulk Hogan, Gargoyle-Freddy, Brainy-Freddy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x01l_jMhjVM

• Locked thread