Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
Anyone surprised that Gene didn't even bother specifying a reason for closing the old thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
Wasn't there something about Sony planning another Ghostbusters movie where they were all men and then doing a crossover with the female ones? It reminds me of all that stuff they had planned for After Earth before that flopped.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
It really feels like they were trying to bully me into seeing this movie. (I didn't decide that I definitely wouldn't see it until those awful spoilers dropped on the Ghostbusters subreddit)

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
It's kind of depressing to see Leslie Jones get praised to high heaven for doing the last thing that anyone in that situation should do.

Hadaka Apron fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 19, 2016

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
Sure, give Milo more attention, that worked all the other times they tried it. I still can't believe that people don't know to ignore him.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
Every punitive measure that Twitter has taken against Milo has only raised his profile. He's going to walk away from this stronger than before.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
Meanwhile, FluffieDuckie hands out weeklong probations in BYOB for using the word "bitch".

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

eSports Chaebol posted:

Lawrence of Arabia doesn't have a single line spoken by a woman and only a brief long shot of a group of women in the whole film. Good luck with that!

There's a woman at Lawrence's funeral, but yeah, there are no female speaking parts. The film's editor was female and she won an Oscar for it, though.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
David Auerbach recently returned to Twitter, and he had this interview with New York magazine.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/07/david-auerbach-problem-with-media.html

quote:

What is so appealing about content geared primarily to rattle someone’s cage?

There you’re looking at cortisol production. There’s no more powerful force in human history than tribalism. You see this everywhere, that these outrage stories produce tribes. There’s nothing that gets people to band together more than a perceived common enemy. And it doesn’t really matter what the perceived common enemy is. But if you can generate a story that gets the reaction, “This is an outrage, I must tell my friends about this,” and my friends will then feel pressured themselves to read the story, express their outrage, condemn people who do not agree with them in their outrage, and share it further, then you’re going to do better than just some random feel-good story that will be shared by a smaller percentage. Every indication shows that the most shared stories are of two types: On the one hand you have these outrage stories. On the other hand you have things like “The Dress” [The one that looked blue and black to some people and … you remember.] The problem is that no one can figure out how to manufacture Dress stories on demand. Outrage, however, has more of a formula to it. The Stanford-rapist story is genuinely outrageous, and it gets clicks. That’s perfect. So people say, what else can we find to get outraged about? Okay, let’s find someone who’s done something bad and skewer him. Sometimes the target is the actual writer themselves, which is where you get hate clicks. Except most of these stories won’t be as legitimately outrageous as the Stanford-rapist story. So you get the same approach applied to marketing Ghostbusters, and suddenly criticizing Ghostbusters gets treated with the same seriousness as the Stanford story. You’re trying to rile people up. Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh pioneered this outrage-all-the-time approach with nonsense like the War on Christmas, and now the mainstream and the left have taken it up.

Hadaka Apron fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 26, 2016

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
Red Letter Media knocks it out of the park again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWROBiX1eSc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
I enjoyed 300 a lot but I don't think it exists on the spectrum of "good" and "bad".

• Locked thread