Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I don't know if we really have any old 80s/90s/00s properties that can be rebooted out of nostalgia anymore. The stuff we remade from the 50s-80s seemed to have that bit where they had years of becoming cult and pop culture icons, but with the 80s-onward stuff, the really popular things never felt like they hit that same sweet spot of partially forgotten/partially remembered.

The things that DID though have been remade, already.

That being said, Gremlins.

It's one of the last 80s properties that is popular enough to maybe pull off, and I can see a Gremlins remake nearly throwing out or changing the entirety of the old film series, even the design and gimmicks of the mogwai and gremlins, and just turn it into a sinister sort of Pokemon-type thing.

Gizmo now looks sort of more like a cuter, more Pikachu-rodent thing, Gremlins are now various 'types' (ala Gremlins 2 -- but based more on what they ate, what kind of water they got wet with, what part of Gizmo's body got wet, how much water, etc.) The movie gets all sorts of messages about modern collectables-style consumer culture, etc.

edit: Gremlins would probably kick rear end in the international box office if remade today since you're sort of free to do a lot of stuff. Gremlin dance number, they'd change the Gremlins probably evaporate into War of the Worlds powder in sunlight rather than melt to be safer for all audiences, you'd be able to cast a bunch of young teen actors and kids, wacky fight scenes and physical comedy, etc.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Gremlins is a project I think could piss people off as much with a reboot (or more so) than Ghostbusters because in this day and age you're going to make everything CG, you're going to be probably going to be changing the tone of the film a lot to try to sell it to more family/international and popular tastes.

Like I said, the only real way i could see them redoing it would be to focus on some of the modern collecting/Pokemon pop-culture as a backdrop to the film which might be fine and could be good, but the fans of the original would be pissed off because they'd changed something. But the thing is, I think doing that could work. There is sort of a consumerism subtext to the original films, and a massive change in the film to match the same massive change in consumer/toy habits of the last decade I think could work.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Nick Rivers posted:

Studio execs will soon start developing movies based on the only untapped source of nostalgia left- television commercials.
SCENE: Billy and Tony are eating lunch at work

"What are you eating?"
"Pizza."
"You like it?"
"Yeah. What you got?"
"Macaroni."
"Any good?"
"Yeah."
(Becca bursts in)
"GUYS! GUYS! I was down at a new collectibles shop on Mills Road that went in where that fire was and--"
"That's opened up again?! I thought that place was condemned..."
"Yeah, and what did we all love as children?"
"I dunno...My parents?"
"I loved my dog, I only sort of liked my parents."
"Forget your dogs and forget your parents... I found THIS!"
(Pulls an unseen object from her bag, puts it on the table.)
"Oh, wow! That's so kitchty and retro! Does it work?"
"I think so. I grabbed a brick of D-cells and there's already a tape in it. Let's play it and see what's on there."
(Rapidly edited montage of footage of the trio facing horrors and dangers. Sounds of demonic noises, children screaming, chanting, and a voice begging for help. Quick cut back to Becca hitting stop on a colorful children's tape player in the center of the frame.)
October 2018: My First Sony.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jul 16, 2016

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I've not had a chance to see it yet, and this is a comment I'm sure I've repeated in another thread, but I'm getting the feeling that in about 5 years GB2016 will be considered in the same way that we look at Ang Lee's Hulk. The people who were incredibly, incredibly defensive of it will start to say it sucked or wasn't actually that good. The people who hated it will just consider it watchable in repeats on TV and not that bad.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

maybe. who knows. the problem is the toys are boring, the original ghostbuster figures(cartoons too) made a poo poo ton of different weird ones and tons of ghosts. the new ones only have like 3 loving ghots. the rest are boring main cast figures. as someone said in the twitter comments "kids don't want to buy frumpy looking middle aged women figures wearing road construction outfits"

I said if they'd been in the GIJoe scale for under $10 you might get some more impulse buys on them. You could sell a cheap Ecto-1 car that fit them for under $20. etc.

My store has the GB2016 figures in teh same aisle as wrestling, GI Joe, DC/Marvel, etc. action figures. Meanwhile, just a few aisle over in the 'dolls' aisle they have (for about $10-20) these female action figures that are aimed at the young girl market:
http://www.target.com/c/toys/dc-super-hero-girls/-/N-5xtb0Z4ut77

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Now another question: Would this movie have done better or worse had it NOT been a Ghostbusters movie and instead been something akin to a "Ghostcorps presents... _______"

I mention months ago that outside of the MIB arena, the Ghostbusters formula films don't historically do well: RIPD, Frighteners, Evolution, The Watch, etc. But despite this, had this simply been something other than Ghostbusters, might it have had some better reception? Something someone said about Feig is that his films are sort of known as satires of other films/genres, but with a focus on comedic female leads. Spy is of the Spy Genre film, Bridemaids was the men-behaving-badly film with women, The Heat was the buddy cop movie, etc.

As a not-GB, It becomes a satire of the GB formula films of the last 25 years and not specifically a GB film.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Sunswipe posted:

I don't think the genre you've created there has enough films in it to do a satire of. Airplane! worked because it wasn't just a parody of Zero Hour, it was mocking disaster movies in general. There were plenty of stock characters to make fun of: the priest/doctor doing his best to keep everyone together, the reluctant hero who has to rise to the occasion, the cute but brave female lead, etc. Look at the films you've listed and what stock characters are there? One guy who's snarky all through the film and that's about it.

The other advantage for Airplane! was it was released at a time when disaster movies, and specifically aircraft disaster movies, were in vogue. Chances were the cinema goer would have recently seen something that was being parodied. Ghostbusters doesn't have that because of how long it's been since the last movie of it's genre, and even longer since a successful one.

So no, I don't think doing this as a non-Ghostbusters satire of Ghostbuster-like movies would work. It needed to be a solid reboot of the franchise, and neither the director nor cast were good enough for the job. Of course, that's just my opinion. But when you're basically saying "Remember how awesome Bill Murray was in that old film? Well we've got MELISSA MCCARTHY in ours!" you're in trouble.

However, Ghostbusters as a single film I think did inspire a lot of imitators in both the time it came out and over the years. How many TV shows, cartoons did Ghostbusters episodes in the 80s and 90s? Characters think they're in a haunted house or something, a sound alike of GB theme plays, they go around building GB gear, etc.

After Ghostbusters, I think there was maybe a bit of a boom in a genre I can only consider that can be called the "Comedic Paranormal Mystery Teams". Transylvania 6-5000, Second Sight, My Science Project, Vibes, Monster Squad, Fright Night, Dead Heat, the TV show Shadow Chasers, etc. There might even be some overlap with things like Weird Science and The Lost Boys. How much of this was just happened to be a trend of the era or trying to become the next GB hit is probably debatable though. But trying to do a satire of a genre that is already intentionally being comedic is probably difficult.

But we're also in the same modern era where RIPD, a pretty much unknown IP, got a budget nearly in the same range as GB2016 (according to the internet). It's also sort of an era where we've been getting a string of paranormal/horror becoming mainstream and popular, too. Walking Dead and Twilight seem pretty big, we've had all the satirical classy meets trashy things like Abe Lincoln vs. Vampires and Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, Comedy Zombie movies, the YA paranormal films, etc. Just picking something more current in this modern incarnation of popular paranormal than Ghostbusters and just doing it with a GB-styled dynamic with a budget, seems like it could have just as easily have worked, too.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Sunswipe posted:

My memory must be going in old age, because my answer to that would be "none." I'm open to the possibility I just didn't see the shows that did that, but I'm surprised it's as common as you say and I can't think of a single instance.

Mostly sitcoms and childrens' stuff.
http://ghostbusters.wikia.com/wiki/Ghostbusters_Tributes,_Spoofs,_%26_References

quote:

I have never heard of a single one of those shows. Were they popular? Did they do well?

It's possible I missed out on all of this because all the shows doing this stuff didn't make it over to the land of tea and bad teeth. But if these shows had enough of an impact to be a genre worth parodying in a mainstream movie, I would expect to at least have heard of them at some point in my online time.

The answer: Sort of. Monster Squad, Weird Science, Lost Boys, Fright Night all have some cult popularity in the US, but most of the others are not popular or remembered well at all. But all it really takes is one thing to be a 'hit', to be something 'fresh and new' that no one else is doing to be big and everyone wants to try to do a version of it and hopes it becomes just as successful. Ghostbusters is/was maybe that in the 80s, sort of like how post-Matrix there was a boom in people trying to do wire-fu or post-Harry Potter the start of the YA/Kids Film adaptation boom.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Ghostbusters' popularity probably contributed to the ghost hunting TV series boom which started in the late 90s but movies like Poltergeist and earlier shows like "In Search Of..." would have also been factors.

Along these lines, the Late 70s-early 80s creepy and strange paranormal films of the time maybe helped influence the creation of GB. Not just somethign like The Exorcist. There are things in the original film that feel like standard horror tropes stuff, then there are things that feel just really strange and otherworldly to the point of being nearly alien or even cosmic. A sort of war modern logical world being confronted with or trying to impose itself on supernatural/spirituality/magic sort of vibe.

Here are some trailers/clips of some pre GB stuff to give some examples of what I mean:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIKU9hzRq6k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrlpN_D5tuU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SEFRWjATqM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-1lF6DQlNU

which all sort of fit with something like this scene from Ghostbusters:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFZPhf5p-BU

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 19, 2016

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I liked Stargate and SG-1, but I couldn't get into this reboot of the continue set after the time of SG1. I couldn't get into the new characters, looking just like everything else that was coming out at the time, etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67E-_SQLVRo

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Oh, God. I got back from GB2106 and some random thoughts:

-Is the new official title/subtitle "Ghostbusters: Answer the Call"? The credits of the film say "GB: Answer the Call" and the poster outside the theater pretty much says the same thing. I sort of wonder if this is in part to allow them to help further distance this from doing a reboot in a few more years. I'm looking foward to seeing if the home video release makes GB:ATC more front and center.
-The main bad guy looked frighteningly like John Belushi which given some other overt things in the film I can't help but wonder if it wasn't intentional.
-I thought this would be 'okay' with bits of greatness, but it feels like a post-GB 1980s wacky comedy that you would have seen on Up All Night in the early 90s.

Meanwhile, I also got back from Star Trek Beyond:

-It feels like it's missing about 20 minutes of material to flesh out the story and the new characters a bit, it all seems to happen way too quick. It's almost crossing over from good to great, just feels a bit lacking. It's a drat sight better than Into Darkness, though.
-This REALLY feels like it was the sort of rebooted WoK-inspired film and character that Into Darkness tried and failed at. You could have make the main baddie of this film into Khan if he'd had some greater backstory development in the film and a few tweaks to the story.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Even R.I.P.D. is relatively popular in Russia.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Sunswipe posted:

If you want to watch a Ghostbusters movie, you can pay cinema prices to watch a mediocre remake or under a fiver to get a DVD of the original off Amazon. I think a lot of it just comes down to that. Cinema ticket prices are too high to go and watch something that even positive reviews are saying is just ok.

Why not do both?
I've seen some Wal-marts that I think if you buy the original film for like $7-10 you get a GB iron-on patch and a discount code for seeing the new movie in theaters.

I think they also have a little metal lunch box thing for $10 that comes with a bunch of codes for free digital copies of the original movie, digital copies of episodes of the animated series, money off buying a DVD copy of the original/new film, and $5 off a ticket code for the new film.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ghostbusters/52286692

I didn't like the movie, but I feel the need to buy this because it exists.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

it cost about $20 to see a new film

For once I'm lucky where I live. Most showtimes in my area are no more than $10.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Apparently both 80s and new GB are going to have Golden Books coming out in Sept.:

https://www.amazon.com/Ghostbusters-Little-Golden-Book/dp/1524714895/ref=pd_bxgy_14_img_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=7J9YCXH74EW4V7GD4B63

quote:

For over 30 years the original Ghostbusters movie has been giving fans of all ages laugh-out-loud thrills and chills. Now, for the first time ever, boys and girls ages 3 to 7 can enjoy the classic Ghostbusters in a lighthearted Little Golden Book retelling that will introduce them to Slimer, Ecto-1, and, of course, the Ghostbusters!

We need to correct that to "grown rear end adults between the ages of 33 and 47 buying kitsch modern memorabilia from their childhoods"

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
We need Golden Books version of Robocop, Golden Book version of Matrix, Golden Book versions of X-Men movies and BvS.

There's a Deadpool coloring book, why not a Deadpool Golden Book?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Simstim posted:

I bet golden books will become the new nerd fad item to own. a whole series of golden books from R and PG13 rated movies.

If it happens, I'm sure there will be some Hot Topic knockoffs to make it happen called "Lil' Olden Books" that will be juuust close enough to LGBs to look like them, but just different enough to fall under some sort of unique or parody protection.

Suicide Squad* seems like it would have been a good testbed for such a thing.
*edit: I take that back. Walking Dead or Breaking Bad should have pioneered this about a year or two ago.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I think GB is MAYBE going to have some legs for a while if only because it feels like the word of mouth might end up being that, despite fart jokes, dick blasting, sexy Kevin, and ghostboobs, it's a fairly non-sexualized film that you can take the kids to and not worry about anything.

That sounds like that's quite a bit, but by comparison there's no horny DanaZuul, no BJ ghost scene, no really scantly clad women moments, no bubbled wrap Gozer. It's cartoonish as to almost be inoffensive. I noticed a LOT of families in my screening today.

The DVD edit feels like it's got to be better, though, because there's so many sudden movements in the plot that it feels like a lot of this film is missing.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

It has already lost its legs, though. Has there ever been an example of a blockbuster film re-bounding after an initial failure to bring back its budget later?

It's not going to be a disaster like Carter or Gods of Egypt, but very few things are. It's going to be a somewhat underperforming film, maybe on par with Terminator Salvation (barely pay for studio costs, leads to scrapping the franchise), maybe a bit worse.

I guess the number of screens after this week will determine, though. It won't be a huge hit, but at this rate it will possibly just break the GB2 domestic in about another 11 days if it can hold on that long and stay in the top ten. For comparisons sake, it took GB2 nearly 3 weeks to make about the same amount that GB2016 has made in only 10. My guess is that by next weekend it will break $100M.

True, it's a much different metric of cost, prices, etc. in the last 27 years but if it can break the GB2 domestic that will be quite the feather in the hat of the reboot. Once the final tally of all the international markets are finally accumulated, it could maybe do about $180M total global.

GB being on week 2 will probably be starting its slide off of screens this Thursday, but I can see it staying in the top 10 through at least mid August where it's still going to make at least about $250-500K a day given how other movies in the top 10 have been performing this Summer.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Pvt.Scott posted:

I usually stay for credits to hear the music and pick out interesting names and weird jobs titles or special thanks, etc. I was done with Ghostbusters the moment the credits started rolling and left. Glad to hear that what sounds like a genuinely entertaining moment in a mediocre fail pile was relegated to credit duty.

I think in the DVD release of the original film there was one of the commentary tracks or the commentary captions that said something like, "Filmmakers wanted to wrap the film up quickly after the climax. When they beat Gozer, the film is over, the audience is ready to move on, we don't want to drag this out too long." So that made me a bit more aware, perhaps, of how GB 2016 felt like it had a several 'endings'. It feels like you've got an ending, an ending, an ending, a credits scene, a post-credits scene. Just get it done with, I'm ready to move on!

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
The only question on the Rocketeer Requel: Is there going to be a Betty Page-styled love interest and will she be played DeviantArt model?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Classic movies can only be remade via the magic of anime.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Klyith posted:

*this idea does not work for anything that was "campy good" the first time around, because trying to recapture camp always lands in cringe. for example, a fifth element remake would be awful.

The thing with camp is that it feels like when you remake it, you remake it as a satire, parody or just sort of poking fun at it because everyone remembers it as as a campy show and not how it was originally intended or received and you don't want be be accused of taking it too seriously.

Had Star Trek vanished for 40-50 years and we'd had no films, no TNG, no DS9, etc. and the remake was being done today, it likely would be more like Galaxy Quest than anything else.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Here's a pitch for the next Aliens movie. There are jokes here and there in the original films, but they take themselves too seriously. We're going to really connect with our fanbase with Alien5 by showing them how absurd it all is.

There will be a scene where they open up a door on a giant cryo-fridge and we have a bunch of alien eggs shoved into the little egg door in a big styrofoam container. Every time a company rep is on screen, they're horribly lying about what they're up to and everyone buys it completely. A scene of them having a conversation about being on their side, needing to get rid of those pesky aliens, while handling a face hugger and putting it on an unconscious crewman's face to 'demonstrate' what they need to avoid having happen to themselves, carrying large eggs beneath their jacket as they're leaving a room, etc.

Every time we think someone's about the have a chestburster scene, it's instead just food poisoning and they have to run off to the bathroom with the sounds of farting.

The climax of the film will be Ripley getting into a powerloader and ready to fight the Queen, but this time around, the Queen is also in her own powerloader (comically crammed in there). As the pair are about to rush at one another, the power cords going to the powerloaders unplug from the wall and they stop dead in their tracks. The pair awkwardly have to unbuckle out of their respective armors and get into a shouting match before they end up in a WWE styled wrestling battle.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Best thing about remakes is that it causes the rerelease of the films they're based on. Just remake Treasure of the Four Crowns so with interest revived in it I can get a 3D DVD version of the original.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

NutritiousSnack posted:

Most of the airplane knock offs and sequels are utter garbage that are either forgotten or remembered as abominations

I mentioned somewhere that I rewatched Airplane 2 for the first time in probably 20 years about a month or so back and I was sort of surprised with how much I liked it considering the horrible reputation I remembered it having over all the years.

But I think there's a difference of doing a parody/satire of something and making something INTO a satire/parody.

Doing something that satired/parodied the Aliens films could probably be okay. Because it's NOT Aliens. But people would probably go crazy if you decided to make an actual Aliens film into a comedy like that.

As things go on, they sort of develop a camp reputation that makes them easy to satire, but do you want to make the satire an official part of the franchise? The talk of the "Jaws 3, Humans 0" comedy, for example. Or what if after years of no Rocky films, Rocky Balboa or Creed were just outright satires of the campiness that the Rocky franchise has sort of been half-remembered for. The first Craig Bond film turned out to be Casino Royale but it was more like the 60s Casino Royale film?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Despite the parody movie having some occasional revivals over the last few years, I think we need to have a good 5 years of nothing so we can get a new trend or pop culture phenomenon to revive it and make it feel fresh again.

"Chinese Movie" is my suggestion: A parody of the increased focus in movies to be appealing to the Chinese market with the ironic twist that the film itself will not be shown in China despite technically doing everything such a movie would need to do.

ultrabindu posted:

Where can I get a copy of this film?

I think it's on Amazon Prime right now (I think).

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

Suicide Squad's opening weekend domestic box office is set to beat Ghostbusters total domestic sales.

What a time to be alive.

My guess it will have something akin to a 70% drop off next weekend. Still might end up beating Sausage Party, though.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I sort of think DC should have maybe set the their movies in 1910s-1950s.

You do your WWI Wonder Woman movie.
A few pre-WWII Superman and Batman films.
A Justice Society film.
Etc.

You can have lower-powered versions of Batman, WW, Superman, etc. down to levels of power that are amazing to an era of humans where rockets, jets, computers, mass communications aren't commonplace and just a guy knowing ninja skills seems like magic.

edit: Suicide Squad is their WWII movie. The Joker, Riddler, Lex Luthor, Catwoman, etc. are sprung from prison by the OSS and are put to task in a Dirty Dozen type team to infiltrate Nazi Germany to stop Paula von Gunther and her program to create Capt. Nazi.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Aug 7, 2016

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

NutritiousSnack posted:

Paul Feig is done with reboots, hopefully everyone else in Hollywood will be too.

If this is the case, i could see it as an excuse to drop Wiig and McCarthy from a Ghostbuster sequel in a way that everyone looks a bit dignified at the end.

Wiig and McCarthy have worked with Feig more that the other two cast members and are legit film headliners and probably demanded higher paychecks than their two costars, but they also had sort of the least popularity of the new cast.

I don't think anyone is ready to let GB die and they might be hoping that this could an issue akin to the original Austin Powers: A genre comedy that did well relatively enough in theaters, but once it hit home video it became such a big hit that its sequel was a huge blockbuster on release. If GB2016 ends up developing a following in the next year or two, them greenlighting a new film with the GB2016 setting seems possible. That, and they'd probably have learned from what worked and what didn't and would possibly be able to promote it better leading up to release.

How this relates to Wiig and McCarthy: Should Feig not want to come back and direct, and if the studio thinks they're too expensive, a story about about both of them came onto the project only because they wanted to work with Feig and are not sure about continuing on with the vision of a new creative staff could be their good excuse for them to step away from production and Sony possibly has a means of bringing in two cheaper replacements to the cast or just make future GBs with only a team consisting of McKinnon and Jones with Hemsworth as their secretary.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Paladinus posted:

If you pay attention to Batman Begins, there are some very subtle hints, and then they confirmed it in the end of the next film.

Bane confirms it in the third film:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLFAXvFYhsE

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

BexGu posted:

I don't know why they would keep McKinnon and Jones if they also drop Wiig and McCarthy . If Feig is done Sony will probably let this movie quietly be forgotten before rebooting it again with a different crew like with Spiderman.

Because I think those two, specifically, have become sort of iconic of the new film. Love or hate the characters or the film, they're sort of the most popular and memorable aspects of the new film.

Ghostcorps probably has a built-in 'reimagining' system in place with the talk of them wanting to do a shared GB universe with different films under the Ghostcorps banner. They could probably skip doing another film with this cast specifically for a while and do a different cast and settings entirely for a film or two before pulling their Ghostbusters-styled Avengers/JLA superteam film. At which point, i could see them just picking and choosing members from each film for such a project.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

CharlestonJew posted:

ghostbusters fighting Ghost Aliens sounds like a more interesting idea than what we got

it would have been worth it just to see Dan Aykroyd have a massive boner 24/7

Ghost Aliens sounds like a pre-emptive "MIB/GB" crossover pitch. LIke, "We can have ghost aliens in our movie, so that we can have the MIB dealing with alien ghosts and need to call in our GB team!"

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
"Sony disputes the amount of the potential loss, insisting that revenue streams from merchandising and such attractions as a new Ghostbusters exhibit at Madame Tussauds and a theme park ride in Dubai will help defray any deficit. The studio also notes that the number of people renting the 1984 film has soared over the summer."

I'm sure that ride in Dubai and a wax museum is bringing in all the cash, but this is the first time in years I've seen a ton of GB related merchandise on shelves. While the film may be unsuccessful, it just existing to reinvigorate the brand in order to turn GB into something akin to Spongebob/Minions gimmick might end up being a minor win.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
In this thread or another I suggested that GB2016 is maybe going to have some long term popularity because it's so relatively harmless and inoffensive that you're going to have a generation of kids just drinking it in for years because the parents are going to let it play on loop and it will keep their attention. You'll get some cartoon and toys from that, Hot Topic will have a steady supply of Holtzmann-heavy swag for a while while just selling non-specific Stay-Puft, Ecto-1 and GB-logo stuff.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
To repeat myself from this thread or another, I think I know what probably could have helped GB2016: Less leads.

I've been giving this some thought, and at first I said they probably needed to get rid of one of the GB and the Kevin character, but after giving it some more thought, they should have gotten rid of trying to emulate the GB "team" formula and been a buddy cop flick, instead. The Wiig and McCarthy characters are almost interchangeable, Holtzman and Kevin are cartoon characters.

Dump Holtzman and Patty, and just build the film around Wiig and McCarthy, instead. Just two GBs I think would have been a major enough change from the original GB formula that I almost feel like the initial debates of the 'all female GB team/all-new team/new universe' wouldn't have occurred. McCarthy neared cartoonish levels, so just throw a lot of the Holtzman characterization onto her, make Wiig more of a stick in the mud serious one, then make more of the focus on them to be more reliant on one another. If you get the film out the door and it works, you do your GB2019 movie in a few years and maybe you go ahead and expand the cast with more GBs or something.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I sort of figure that someone will pitch a pilot for a revamped, rebooted, reimagined Ghostbusters prequel TV series with the characters still college students. Gotham meets Ghostbusters and regress everything to them being college students when they first begin setting up an idea to study ghosts.

As it will be such a different direction from the original film and being made as TV reimaging, no one will complain even if they made major changes to how the characters are played compared to the original films.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I'm sort of surprised that the Electra Woman and Dyna Girl remake didn't even barely show up as a blip on anyone's radar this year. I think I only found out about it around the start of the year and I just assumed I missed its theatrical release or it was waiting for a Fall theatrical release, only to discover it was released via smaller webisodes and on digital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
If you make Pennywise look like a friendly, fun clown, I'm sure today you'd be getting all sorts of complaints about how horrible Hollywood is for making such a beloved and approachable children and family icon into a murdering monster and asking, "Why couldn't they have made him more 'scary' to disassociate him from the Bozo-styled clowns that kids know and love?"

Also, are clowns still a thing with kids? Pennywise should look like a Cirque du Soleil clown, a superhero or Lady Gaga.

• Locked thread