Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
paul feig is a pompous rear end in a top hat who doesn't know the first thing about public relations. he should learn to shut his mouth next time he thinks about having an argument with people from the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

I'm expecting Ghostbusters 2016 to break even at 150 million or 200 million worldwide by the time it actually leaves theaters. I mean I think it'll do decently enough, but it's absolutely not gonna pull in amazing numbers just because of the controversy polarizing so many potential viewers so long before the movie was even released.

full disclosure I have absolutely no idea how the movie industry or money work

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

BexGu posted:

Honestly I want more original sci-fi movies like the ones Tom Cruise was pumping out for a bit.

Edge of Tomorrow: Live Die Repeat (I think that was the name?) was really loving good. Tom Cruise is a loving weirdo but he can help make some pretty good movies.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Yeah, there was, umm... John Carter and the Lone Ranger. They were really drat surprised over Lone Ranger, too.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

always wondered why Neil got kicked out. interesting. really drat petty of him, and a shame considering he's legit talented and funny.

welp

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Hadaka Apron posted:

Wasn't there something about Sony planning another Ghostbusters movie where they were all men and then doing a crossover with the female ones? It reminds me of all that stuff they had planned for After Earth before that flopped.

The plan I heard was that the next Ghostbusters would be all male and trying to find the Gatekeeper and Keymaster, and the final film would be the two teams of male and female Ghostbusters working together to take down Gozer. I wouldn't place any bets on this actually being their plan because I have no idea on what sources it came from and all that crap, it just sounds like a big rumor started by internet people trying to gain traction.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Hadaka Apron posted:

It really feels like they were trying to bully me into seeing this movie. (I didn't decide that I definitely wouldn't see it until those awful spoilers dropped on the Ghostbusters subreddit)

They've been acting like it's a huge surprise, too. Feig and McCarthy would say things like, (paraphrasing) "people critical of Ghostbusters probably have no friends and are basement dwellers." Talking down to potential audience is not the way to get them in seats.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

JediTalentAgent posted:

Now another question: Would this movie have done better or worse had it NOT been a Ghostbusters movie and instead been something akin to a "Ghostcorps presents... _______"

I mention months ago that outside of the MIB arena, the Ghostbusters formula films don't historically do well: RIPD, Frighteners, Evolution, The Watch, etc. But despite this, had this simply been something other than Ghostbusters, might it have had some better reception? Something someone said about Feig is that his films are sort of known as satires of other films/genres, but with a focus on comedic female leads. Spy is of the Spy Genre film, Bridemaids was the men-behaving-badly film with women, The Heat was the buddy cop movie, etc.

As a not-GB, It becomes a satire of the GB formula films of the last 25 years and not specifically a GB film.

I don't really know.

I think the movie is underperforming (to audience expectations) for several reasons. The big positive is that Ghostbusters is a beloved movie people have been wanting another sequel to for 27 years. The female cast is polarizing with different demographics, but most people can atleast appreciate that it is different from the original Ghostbusters and it was a step to make a different movie.

The downsides are a mixture of things. These 27 years, people were wanting a Ghostbusters sequel, not a reboot. With each year, the idea of a true sequel became more and more impossible with the actors aging, culminating with Ramis's death. Paul Feig's insistence that he not be hampered by the original films' existence is documented as the reason why the film is a reboot and not a sequel. A lot of people were definitely hoping for treatment of the plot closer to Force Awakens where the original actors still played a reasonable (if only small) part and weren't delegated to strange cameos that ultimately took the audience out of the movie. Feig's obsession with arguing with the public also turned away viewers.

If the movie didn't have the "Ghostbusters" moniker, there wouldn't be anywhere near as much drama from the PR fallout as there was, but it also would not appeal to a larger audience consisting of existing Ghostbuster fans either. It's an interesting prospect, but I don't think it's easy to gauge how well the movie would have done otherwise.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn_vAcFGTJU

comic book girl still really chill and speaking reason

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

wow. all that twitter Leslie Jones stuff is awful and depressing.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Jennifer Lawrence of Arabia, coming to a theater near you in 2017!

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Nonsense posted:

The developers behind recent Ghostbusters game went bankrupt

everything I heard was that it was an awful game, so it was kind of warranted. I still feel bad for them though and hope the employees get decent jobs elsewhere.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Code Jockey posted:

triggering remains the dumbest loving concept

but lol if they really put that dude in timeout and said he could only come out if he deleted his mean words

Bardock's said that in the past that this isn't the first time Twitter has forced him to delete his posts

but yeah this is a big case of Paul Feig being an absolute rear end in a top hat just because he can't accept that the world did not want his lovely reboot

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Zack Snyder is a bad.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

I want the upcoming Assassin's Creed movie to be good. The games used to be great and then they kind of decided they have absolutely no idea what to do with the modern-day plot. Now the games are on hiatus for a year to ensure the new one doesn't turn out poo poo. They've also got Michael Fassbender really involved in the production of the movie. If it fails, it will mean bad news for the Assassin's Creed brand as a whole. I'm curious how it's all gonna turn out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Everything I've heard about the inner-workings of Sausage Party has been awful, from Seth Rogen using it as a vehicle to get his friends as much easy money as possible (a la Adam Sandler), to the animators being mistreated. I wish the movie flopped from how bad a precedent it sets.

• Locked thread