Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Problem description: I have a 2008 iMac with a hard drive that died long ago. On a whim, I picked up an 850 Evo so I could get the computer working again. It's the only Mac I own so I knew that getting OSX up and running would be a little tricky, but I figured I'd boot into the OSX Recovery menu and format/partition the SSD then download the OS from there.

Physically replacing the hard drive went fine. I've taken the computer apart before and nothing unusual happened. Now, however, I can't access the boot options.

Here's what happens:

- Command + R does nothing. I get a white screen (the Apple logo never appears when I do this or any of the following) then a flashing folder with a question mark (this also happens with Command + Option + R, D, C, Option + D)

- Command + Option + P + R appears to work just fine. The screen goes black and reboots.

- Option by itself circumvents the flashing folder, but I just get a mouse cursor on the same white screen. I gave it a while (half an hour) to see if it was loading something, but nope.

Attempted fixes: I have a bootable Chromium stick which somehow loads just fine on the iMac, so the system is definitely working. I tried creating a USB OSX install stick in Windows and that won't load, but it's possible that I hosed it up.

I swapped out the keyboard (in case it was simply a case of the keys not registering) and plugged the keyboard into different USB slots, since that's apparently an issue in some Mac models. Same results every time.

Recent changes: Installed the new SSD, a Samsung 850 Evo.

--

Operating system: OSX

System specs: 2008 iMac, 24-inch Core 2 Duo

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Corin Tucker's Stalker fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Here's an update: My initial understanding was that the recovery tools were built into the hardware like a BIOS. Now I'm realizing they're put on the hard drive on a hidden partition, which I no longer have.

I'm having a hell of a time getting an OSX image without actually being in OSX, but if I manage to create a bootable installer (using TransMac) I should be set. It's too bad there isn't a bootable image of the recovery tools.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

The legitimate way would be to find somebody with a Mac. That way you could download an installer for El Capitan and create a bootable drive as described here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

• Locked thread