Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Son Ryo posted:

I like the look of the Power pack, and I second Kite for the name.

Seconding Kite, no opinion on packs though.

Also Yeti you should probably be using the name Bearmon from now on. For one thing, Kumamon is used as the English name for a completely different Digimon that was known as Chackmon in original material. Secondly, Bearmon was always the official Japanese name for the bear Digimon in this game and became the official English name after Frontier was localized. Digimon World 3 is the first non regional-exclusive game that was released for North America before Japan so a lot of its translation in general is goofy since it was likely done by a different team entirely.

Lastly to correct a common misconception, Digimon's creation has nothing to do with Pokemon. In October 1996, Tamagotchi was created and while originally developed as a gender-neutral brand it became extremely popular among women, who were over 60% of its audience to be exact, to the point that the toy would later be marketed primarily to girls while its creator Aki Maita would later help develop Tamagotchi’s brother franchise Digimon since Bandai wanted to make a version for boys. Thus instead of the sweet, gentle animal designs Tamagotchi had, Digimon were more monstrous, vicious, aggressive while the original virtual pet itself is basically a Tamagotchi turned on its side. Digimon would even include numerous references to Tamagotchi such as Nanimon who's based the Tamagotchi character Oyajitchi:

As well as the alarm clock around Belphemon Sleep Mode's neck:

The biggest connection between the two brands however is in how the creature are raised which in-turn determines what they grow into. Taking good care of a Tamagotchi results in something cute, sweet and smart like Mametchi, Pochitchi, Lovelitchi, and others while taking bad care can cause your pet to become something unsettling, ugly, rude like Tarakotchi. This is why Digimon have branched Digivolution paths in the games with Digimon such as Numemon and Sukamon serving as punishment for poor care taking. This was even acknowledged in the anime despite its more linear growth lines in the form of Dark Digivolution.

What I'm basically saying is that Digimon is Tamagotchi’s younger brother.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Oh that one was a fun fighter even if it's small by modern standards. Fourteen playable fighters not counting Digivolutions, the roster consists of characters from the Adventure and Tamers universes.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

alcharagia posted:

Numemon isn't literal poo poo. That's Sukamon. Numemon is a puddle of slime who is similar in being a you-hosed-up-Mon but is not literal poo poo. He evolves into Monzaemon, which is a plus.

Technically speaking, Numemon's a slug with its Type even being Mollusk. There's even a snail variant of it called KaratsukiNumemon:

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Nuebot posted:

Numemon has the best line ever;

The king of the poop snails.

Oh yeah, BlackKingNumemon. The Mega Level stage is even more loving hilarious:

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

mateo360 posted:

Rumble Arena is entertaining for a couple of battles but gets boring and repetitive very quickly.

Pretty much, I imagine it'd be more fun with a second player it does suffer from the same problem that all fighting games do in that the single player mode gets repetitive very quickly, especially if you're trying to unlock everything.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Yeah, don't take on an Ultimate/Perfect Level Digimon with just a Champion/Adult.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Hey! Frontier's premise wasn't the problem, the problem was the writing issues! :mad:

Besides Frontier wasn't even the first series where humans became Digimon anyway, Spirit Evolution was the logical continuation of Tamers' Biomerge Digivolution.

Hell, 02 gave us Arukenimon and Mummymon who were revealed to be Digimon/human hybrids before Frontier made it into a level.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 1, 2016

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Wasn't there just an entire part of the latter season where they just jobbed to the same two villains for, like, twelve episodes in a row?

That was one of the biggest writing problem that hurt Frontier.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Aug 1, 2016

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Kurui Reiten posted:

Not the one where every character who wasn't the main hero or his rival consistently couldn't get a finishing blow in, even in their focus episodes, and had to be saved by said hero or rival? The one that eventually got so bad that they became nothing more than Super Mushrooms for the hero and rival, giving up their powers to access the main duo's stronger forms?

Okay, one of the two biggest problems that everyone hated about Frontier.

Also the Spirits were actually incomplete Digicores, presumably the fractured Digicores of the Ancient Ten Warriors that died prior to the series waiting for the human characters who are heavily implied to be the partners of Legendary Warriors.

Let that sink in.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

corn in the bible posted:

it was stupid because it reduced the number of characters with no benefit to the writing

Please read my comment, the issue you're citing was with the writing not the premise itself.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

corn in the bible posted:

oh yeah and the premise sucked because digimon were cool and there aren't any

i'm going off my impressions as a kid here but i remember thinking some dude who throws fire was a million times less cool than having a pet big-rear end dinosaur

Except that, as stated earlier, the cast were essentially merging with the remnants of their dead partners to become Digimon themselves. Hell the finale even showed original Legendary Warriors, the ones who died prior to the series, resurrected as the human Hybrid forms and talking to their respective partners before returning the kids to the human world.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Never read Pokemon ReBurst, then.

Pokemon ReBurst you say?

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Fun fact about Bulbmon's name, valve is romanized as "barubu" which can also be the romanization for "bulb".

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

mateo360 posted:

GAME, How do you keep mixing up the two crests? That is the Digi-Egg of Reliability. :bang: :bang: :bang:

Because that's not the name of Joe's crest in the original Japanese material. Officially, the Japanese material call it either the Crest of Sincerity or the Crest of Honesty depending on what you're looking at while Mimi's crest is called the Crest of Purity in the original.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

ApplesandOranges posted:

Yup, the dub here also had it as Purity for Mimi and Sincerity for Joe. Reliability is probably the better fit for Joe, while Sincerity's the better fit for Cody/Iori, who inherited that crest's power in 02 (which also allowed the evolution to Submarimon).

Apparently in Zudomon's introductory episode there's a scene where Joe, after saving T.K. from drowning, reaffirms to T.K. that he was sincere in his promise to T.K.'s mother that he would keep T.K. safe.

quote:

No idea why they mixed it up in the game though.

The translation in this game's a mess in general, one of the reasons I hate using it and avoid using it whenever possible.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 28, 2016

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Kurui Reiten posted:

I always figured they should have swapped the Mega and Ultimate terms ASAP in localized versions to fix it, but we're well beyond the point that could be viable.

The dub's Level terminology from Fresh-Ultimate was intended to invoke competitive fighting when the v-pets were brought over to the United States in 1997 as a reflection of the Digimon themselves being more aggressive than the creatures of their sister franchise Tamagotchi while the Kyuukyokutai (Ultimate) stage wasn't created until 1999-2000, well after it was too late to change anything.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Kurui Reiten posted:

All they would have had to have done really was swapped the terms in the dub and future products, and the change would have spread rapidly from there. The anime's what most people remember with nostalgia for Digimon in Western countries, not the virtual pets.

I mean, you're not wrong, but that was the perfect point to quietly shift them, and it passed.

Except that the level localisations were likely mandated by Bandai who would likely have been against any such change since they are known for being very consistent about maintaining level terminology in the games (Ultra for example was used for both Digimon World DS and Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth which were the only games to include the Super Ultimate level so no one would've known that Ultra was the dub term until Cyber Sleuth).

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Andromon has always been Ultimate/Perfect level. In fact, it and Monzaemon were the first Ultimate/Perfect level Digimon to be introduced in Adventure before the introduction of Etemon.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also also, Yeti, you forgot to put HiAndromon's level. He's a Mega, and Andromon's canonical evolution, of course. This makes Andromon one of those weird Digimon that haven't been protagonists in an anime (being a secondary character in Adventure and Tamers, even having a Tamer in the latter) yet have a full line: Hagurumon -> Guardromon -> Andromon -> HiAndromon. Guardromon to Andromon is shown in Tamers, although backwards, Andromon loses his Perfect stage before joining Hirokazu and never evolves again because the world is cruel.
On the topic of HiAndromon, it might be my memory failing, but didn't he use a technique named Copy-Paste or something to that extent? I swear I remember him doing that.

Alternatively, Bandai Asia's D-Power version 3 Digivice virtual pet has Kokuwamon as Guardromon's Rookie stage which is also possible in the Digimon Pendulum virtual pet:

And while Kokuwamon is typically linked to Kuwagamon* and in fact can Digivolve into it, it can also Digivolve into Clockmon, Mekanorimon, and Tankmon in addition to Guardromon.

*Since both are named after stag beetle species with the former being the Little Stag Beetle (Dorcus rectus) while the latter is the Saw Stag Beetle (Prosopocoilus inclinatus).
Also just a heads up, Wikimon images don't seem to display correctly on the forum anymore when using Chrome for whatever reason.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 23, 2016

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Bastemon's Japanese name is derived for Bastet who is the Egyptian goddess of the home, domesticity, women's secrets, cats, fertility, and childbirth. The name used in this game derived from the Persian longhair cat breed and its country of origin. The name Beastmon is believed to be an anagram of the original name and may possibly be a play one "beast man".

When Digimon Xros Wars was localized as Digimon Fusion, the skin on Bastemon's chest and midriff was changed to fur and she was given a gold tube top. Starting from the episode Lost in Digital Space onward however, her top was changed to red possibly to make it look more natural. The card game keeps the red top, adding a gold hem to the top of it, but keeps the design otherwise uncensored:

One last bit of trivia, Bastemon in Fusion is voiced by Laura Bailey.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 4, 2016

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

A small correction: the Leomon recolour is Panjyamon, not Ponchomon.
For reference:

Panjyamon, named after the father of Leo from the series Jungle Emperor and also called IceLeomon do to it being a Leomon trained in the Ice-Snow Area resulting in it gaining ice powers when it Digivolved.

Ponchomon, a Digimon that is rumored to be a Togemon that has died in a freak accident.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I should note that in addition to IceLeomon and the previously mentioned GrapLeomon, that are three other species derived from Leomon:

First is SaberLeomon, the go-to Mega level stage for Leomon thanks to Adventure.

Next is BanchoLeomon, a delinquent themed Leomon introduced in Data Squad. This is also the default Mega level stage of the Liollmon line consisting of them, Liamon, and LoaderLiomon.

And last but not least we have MadLeomon, who being from the Fusion/Xros Wars era has no Level but its description would make it to Leomon what SkullGreymon is to Greymon, an Ultimate/Perfect Level Dark Digivolution who has lost all intelligence rendering it an Undead abomination.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

I find it funny that Gargoylemon, V-mon's Armour Evolution through the Digimental of Light, is given a Dark move here. One that has its element in its name, even.

The Digimental of Light is goofy in terms of Digivolution theme as its armor stages are a gargoyle, harpy, sea horse, mola, sphinx, and an amphiptere. About the only thing tying these Digimon together is the fact that all of them are tied to some form of mythology.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Because we can't have religious words in our children anime, even if they have zero to do with religion...and Engrish

You joke but keep in mind that this was around the time that Pokémon was being attacked by fundamentalists as satanic so Bandai wanting to avoid them raising Hell is rather understandable and in fact Devimon, Daemon, Cherubimon, and Seraphimon were named Darkmon, Creepymon, Kerpymon, and Seraphymon in various American material.

Now Galgomon being translated as Gargomon was an honest mistake do to l and r using the same character in Japanese, and rather problematic since Gargoylemon's Japanese name is Gargomon as well especially so since Galgomon was supposedly spelled as Gargomon in Japanese material, that was simply carried over.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

GeneralYeti posted:

Name: Whamon
Level: Champion (Occasionally Ultimate)

To elaborate, Whamon is one of the two Digimon species that are both Champion and Ultimate with the other being Minotarumon as mentioned earlier in the thread. In both instances, it was do to inconsistencies between the virtual pet and original card game and are the biggest example of a Digimon having multiple levels. Whamon however at least acknowledges this and attempted to explain why:

Digimon Reference Book posted:

Although it has been possible to confirm it as the same species as those in File Island's coastal waters, this Whamon, which lives off of Folder Continent's coast, and whose appearance is totally the same, has surpassed the previous in both offensive ability and vitality, and accomplished a digivolution to Ultimate.

Both species can actually Digivolve to and from themselves along with other Digimon species*. In fact, Kenta's MarineAngemon in Tamers has Whamon as his Ultimate Level stage with Dolphmon as the Champion according to Bandai Asia's D-Power version 3 Digivice virtual pet.

*Preceding and succeeding stages being based on the Whamon stage's Level.

Crossed with with a Eurypterid.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

No Ghost Rider joke for SkullMeramon?

Not gonna lie, I honestly think that this is why Meramon and SkullMeramon were chosen to be the Champion and Ultimate Level stages for Tamers Impmon in Bandai Asia's D-Power version 3 Digivice virtual pet.

This was before Baalmon was introduced as an intermediate stage between Wizardmon and Beelzemon in Digimon Crusaders.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
You may want to fix that second link, that's why I always preview links before posting.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Is there a shark Digimon? Has the plot jump over it yet?

The closest would be Tylomon who's technically a tylosaurus:

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
To be fair, it's easy to forget about the Armor Level and its species cause of how poorly treated they were. Bare in mind that this Level was created for 02 in the six partner Digimon were each given one Armor level stage for each of the ten Digi-Eggs/Digimentals meaning that there are at least sixty species total not counting gold Rapidmon, Salamandermon, FlameWizardmon.

Unfortunately 02 barely used even a quarter of them and that's including the CD drama Armor Evolution to the Unknown which introduced Sagittarimon, Rinkmon, Pteramon, Manbomon, Butterflymon, and finally Wormon's Armor stage of Bucchiemon to 02. The Armor Level species didn't start appearing until later series.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I'm almost certain that there was supposed to be a normal colored KingNumemon but for whatever reason, it was never released.

Echoing Blaze's point since at this point in the franchise Digimon have been shown fusing with armor eggs in 02, humans on more then one occasion, non-Digimon digital lifeforms namely Splashmon with his Splasher familiars to become his tiger form, and remnants of a deceased Digimon fashioned into a weapon such as the Brave Snatcher which was made from Lord Bagra's right arm.

And that's not counting the whole concept of Spirits in Frontier and humans being infused with Digimon data in Data Squad.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 13, 2016

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Kurui Reiten posted:

Everything beyond this point was not around when DW3 was released, and I'm just counting the D-Reaper for that last one.

Technically speaking, Gallantmon's steed Grani would also qualify as an example since it fuses with its master to awaken Gallantmon's Crimson Mode.

quote:

I mean, weirder things happen in the series (the entire D-Reaper arc in Tamers is basically Cthulhu Mythos + Computers in the real world), but at no point in this game's story has it been previously established that jamming a Digimon into a ship results in a super robot. I love the design, but without establishing the Digital World and Digimon as real things with reality warping properties, as opposed to just parts of an MMO, this makes no sense.

This is also a game where technology that allows an eleven year old and his online battle monsters to appear in real life in the middle of a military base with all abilities and powers intact is treated as nothing particularly special, though, so logic isn't quite running at full blast here.

And yes, I was admittedly using examples from later series to illustrate my point that Digimon and Digimon data have/has been fused with a lot of things over the years (in fact I honestly would not be surprised if Appmon are revealed to be the result of mobile applications being infused with Digimon data explaining why they're Digimon-like lifeforms). That said, I feel like part of the reason for there being no explanation for Destromon's existence is due to an earlier theory that someone unwittingly stumbled upon the Digital World while making an MMO. How would the player be expected to know this if not even the company behind the MMO were aware that the game they had made merged with a Digital World that existed parallel to our own?

Bare in mind that this game was created to coincide with Tamers whose whole premise is "This isn't a game, the monsters are real!". It's likely that this was the mantra for the game as well, start the player off thinking that their character is playing an in-universe VR version of Digimon Masters and then reveal there was never an MMO and your character was in the actual Digital World and that Digimon are real.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Dec 14, 2016

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

The use of HeracleKabuterimon there instead of GranKuwagamon is kind of weird considering Takuya seems to want to have the entire Kuwagamon line, but I'm guessing that it's because GranKuwagamon isn't in this game to begin with. If so, H-Kabuterimon is actually a pretty good choice, being a Digimon born from using Kabuterimon and Kuwagamon-species data in the first place.

Which is itself kinda weird since the species was introduced in 2000 and this game was made in 2002 so it's not like the species didn't exist at the time of game's production.

And it should come as no surprise that HerculesKabuterimon and GranKuwagamon are rivals which has been true of the lines in general since the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Digimon World 4 is flawed but I consider this one worst by merit of DW4 at least having a competent localization which this game doesn't, the most glaring gently caress up being the usage of the name "Kumamon" for Bearmon as I've touch on in my first post in this very thread, and the fact that I actually enjoyed playing it for all its flaws.

Digimon All-Star Rumble had the benefit of being a spin-off so the bar was already going to be low.

• Locked thread