Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

OldAlias posted:

yeah it's good. it's parent infrastructure is Rogers so coverage isn't poo poo. it's also another way to use Rogers locked phones. i've just been using wifi w/ no data, cause there are public / private hotspots everywhere. idk of any other way to use a new phone for $20 a month

ok we don't have them in ~*~*~*Québec*~*~*~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

My Linux Rig posted:

ick 5.2"

they put the finger print reader on the back though maybe that's a good spot for it idk

its a really good spot, you can just pull it out of your pocket and unlock it instantly wiht one hand

im useing the other hand to jack off to it

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Olivil posted:

ok we don't have them in ~*~*~*Québec*~*~*~

??? there's a number of them in quebec, montreal too

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

OldAlias posted:

??? there's a number of them in quebec, montreal too

welp

the more you know

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

OldAlias posted:

yeah it's good. it's parent infrastructure is Rogers so coverage isn't poo poo. it's also another way to use Rogers locked phones. i've just been using wifi w/ no data, cause there are public / private hotspots everywhere. idk of any other way to use a new phone for $20 a month

lol @ canadian telecom

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

thanks to the fcc and doj having a backbone and stopping the at&t-tmobile merger cell phone plans are cheap as poo poo and good

you can get unlimited calls and sms to the us/canada/mexico and a deecee amount of data for like $40/month now

and when you run out of data it keeps working its just slow

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

lol in canada you have "network access fees" and you must pay (to bypass the system theyve implemented) to see the caller's number

also to have voicemail

in tyool 2016

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I don't know what exactly compels British commonwealth nations to have such dogshit telecoms but it is some kind of ingrained behavior they cannot escape

Maybe it is fundamental to their culture. Something about hating communication? idk

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Olivil posted:

lol in canada you have "network access fees" and you must pay (to bypass the system theyve implemented) to see the caller's number

also to have voicemail

in tyool 2016

lol jesus

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

mishaq posted:

thanks to the fcc and doj having a backbone and stopping the at&t-tmobile merger cell phone plans are cheap as poo poo and good

you can get unlimited calls and sms to the us/canada/mexico and a deecee amount of data for like $40/month now

and when you run out of data it keeps working its just slow

thanks to various bleed in markets my cable company basically pays me to take their phone bundle, which comes with unlimited minutes to basically everywhere, texting, and caller id with voice mail. if my unlimited minutes and texting on my cell were ever an issue i could just limp on my other line. merger limitations do great things in the us

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

to bring it around ill add that all this works on even flip phones but tbh the smartphone apps are easy

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Agile Vector posted:

thanks to various bleed in markets my cable company basically pays me to take their phone bundle, which comes with unlimited minutes to basically everywhere, texting, and caller id with voice mail. if my unlimited minutes and texting on my cell were ever an issue i could just limp on my other line. merger limitations do great things in the us

the fact that you're pointing out caller id and voicemail as features worth noting is really telling of how laughably awful canadian telecom is in 2016

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

mishaq posted:

the fact that you're pointing out caller id and voicemail as features worth noting is really telling of how laughably awful canadian telecom is in 2016

Showing you a phone number isn't caller ID. landline caller ID used to actually show you the name of the person or business calling, which was tremendously useful.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Citizen Tayne posted:

Showing you a phone number isn't caller ID. landline caller ID used to actually show you the name of the person or business calling, which was tremendously useful.

yeah but what he's referring to is just getting the number

lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
caller id text is handled at the LEC's end thru a local lookup database. the lookup database is a mess of manual entries just like everything else in the phone network. I imagine that when it came time to talk about caller id standards for cellphones when they got to name all the telcos just went "noooope"

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

caller id text is handled at the LEC's end thru a local lookup database. the lookup database is a mess of manual entries just like everything else in the phone network. I imagine that when it came time to talk about caller id standards for cellphones when they got to name all the telcos just went "noooope"

probably

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the lack of automation in telco networks because of their ancient tech is the most annoying thing. its why you can never get a circuit turned up the first time.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shaggar posted:

the lack of automation in telco networks because of their ancient tech is the most annoying thing. its why you can never get a circuit turned up the first time.

Well, you do live in fairpoint land

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mishaq posted:

oh, ok :shobon:

enjoy the power of having the internet in your pocket

don't be on your phone when you are with company, it's rude

don't text and drive

godspeed, friend

dont forget the golden rule

get on tinder (smartphone app)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Shaggar posted:

protip: don't ever be a phone janitor at a company that decides to change its name and then angrily insists on seeing that name change reflected in the caller ID text other people see

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

protip: don't ever be a phone janitor

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Citizen Tayne posted:

tbh my deal is in MERICA and it was the most lol list of features by our standards until I got to the mobile app

Apr 7, 2003

Being Canadian sounds horrible. Bad cell service and death panels.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Captain Foo posted:

Well, you do live in fairpoint land

it was screwed up by verizon well before fairpoint got here and its the same w/ all telcos everywhere.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

I posted this in the pics thread but it really belongs here, directed at farmer crack-rear end

awaiting your response

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

protip: don't ever be

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

it was screwed up by verizon well before fairpoint got here and its the same w/ all telcos everywhere.

shagger was wrong

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Hail

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mishaq posted:

shagger was wrong

lmao. tell me what telco has equipment that was designed in the last 20 years that isn't a fly by night voip operator.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
or maybe even just a telco that can find their equipment

Apr 7, 2003

Shaggar posted:

or maybe even just a telco that can find their equipment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipa4HUsmg5I

Apr 7, 2003

The engineering required to make a crossbar switch (and similar electromechanical systems) work is far more interesting to me than strictly digital systems. Those are boring.

Apr 7, 2003

btw, this owns if you like classic phone poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsWnidyQE9M

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

lmao. tell me what telco has equipment that was designed in the last 20 years that isn't a fly by night voip operator.

uh, all of them

wtf are you talking about

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Citizen Tayne posted:

The engineering required to make a crossbar switch (and similar electromechanical systems) work is far more interesting to me than strictly digital systems. Those are boring.

digital switching is cool too but yeah electromechnical telephony switches are loving fascinating

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Citizen Tayne posted:

ive been inside the old western electric switch manufacturing plant in columbus in like 2010

https://goo.gl/maps/qoahGKCjEoA2

it was 2 million square feet, 90% of which is empty and a small portion was still used by alcatel-lucent as lab and testing space

just weird as gently caress walking through a 2 million square foot building that was empty as gently caress

the parking lots around it were not maintained and overgrowing with weeds, it was depressing

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

looks like they finally demolished it by the latest satellite photo

:rip:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Citizen Tayne posted:

how its made: BELL

mishaq posted:

ive been inside the old western electric switch manufacturing plant in columbus in like 2010

oh man thatd be something i could check

mishaq posted:

looks like they finally demolished it by the latest satellite photo

:rip:

:(

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Citizen Tayne posted:

a good watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
op was this a contrarian thing?

• Locked thread