Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Prince Puma is really a Mayan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sanguinia posted:

Keeping Nakamura in NXT as Champion is the smartest possible thing for them to do, and I'm loving shocked that anyone believes otherwise. He can anchor that brand for 2 years basically alone if necessary, and as long as he's not getting screwed on either money OR merch, which all accounts say he's not, he's better off doing that than risking the pitfalls at the top of the mountain. I don't think I need to list all the reasons why anyone should be skeptical of Nakamura being properly pushed outside of NXT. Yes, in theory he could sell more T-shirts if he's pushed like Cena on Raw than he is being pushed like Cena in NXT, but there's a heck of a lot of risk with that reward when he could be the next idling Upper Midcarder like Sami Zayn instead.

That being said, as soon as he drops the belt Samoa Joe should be on Smackdown (or Raw, but realistically Smackdown needs him more esp. after the draft). And Austin Aries and Hideo Itami should also be called up post-haste after feuding with and falling to Nakamura. If all three of those guys aren't on the main rosters in 4-6 months it's a huge ball-dropping on WWE's part. Clear those three out and give their slots to Bobby ROOOOOOOO, No Way Jose and maybe PERFECT 10 if the reports that they're pumping the brakes on Almas are true.

Nakamura is getting up there in age and his body is not in great shape. I doubt the guy left NJPW to not be on the biggest stage possible and I doubt WWE signed him for the kind of money it would take to get him to come over to do that either. He needs to be in front of as many people as possible as soon as possible because the product needs as much new as it can get. Meanwhile a guy like Itami should probably be in NXT a bit longer because he wasn't making the transition especially well.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Chris James 2 posted:

What about Joe?

Joe originally signed a contract they would let him do NXT and indies so I don't have as much of a problem with keeping him down another six months or so.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The Croc posted:

Nation of Domination reforming. its the only thing that eludes us.

You guys got the New Day. That's why you like it so much.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Seriously why the gently caress did they do that angle? All they did is bury the gently caress out of their roster, THEN their belts, for literally no reason.

They thought it was a good idea and then couldn't think of a way out of it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

IcePhoenix posted:

Yeah but I heard that it's gonna be taped before smackdowns instead of superstars.

Maybe that's just starting next week

They plan for it to be a live show but they will tire of that idea quickly and it'll probably end up taped before Smackdown by Rumble.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Venomous posted:

they're really going to embarrass the Wyatt Family for the fourth Wrestlemania in a row huh

wow. Thought they'd want to create a great top heel, but noooooope

Would be hard to do with Bray Wyatt.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Venomous posted:

Bray pinned John Cena and AJ Styles clean in the past couple of months. He has all the momentum behind him as champion, and he's actually been booked strongly up to this point. If they wanted a good, young main event heel to keep Smackdown going, it would be an incredibly good idea to have Bray retain against Randy at Wrestlemania.

Bray was boring and bad until Randy Orton made him interesting again so it is only fair that Randy gets the belt.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sanguinia posted:

Bray was one of the hottest acts in wrestling when he feuded with Bryan and Cena leading up to Mania 30, pretending anything else was the case is revisionist history. It was not a case of all the heat actually being on Cena either, Bray was earning crowd reactions in his own right, not just playing out The Audience vs Cena Part 26.

That being said, his credibility has been shattered so many times now than even with the good booking and worthwhile storytelling he's gotten to be part of on Smackdown his ceiling is probably permanently damaged. Having Orton beat him might be the right call given how the crowd has been reacting. And I hate to say that because I love Bray.

If Randy is getting this title so he can have a big match with Corbin, Styles, Nakamura or... I dunno, Johnny Gargano? Someone I'm not thinking of that they're going to push strong enough and write well enough to make them an Ace-level star in 6 months like they've basically done for Corbin. If that's the reason he's getting the title, then beating Bray is probably the right decision. Bray might just be too damaged to make him retaining to do the same thing worthwhile.

Bray was very unique when he came up and after the novelty wore off, his reactions did. His promos were samey, long and dull and his matches were rarely good. This isn't all his fault, but the guy was death on the microphone for a long time.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Benne posted:

5Dimes lines are out now that the card is finalized

code:
Braun Strowman wins Andre battle royale -750
Field wins Andre battle royale +450

Naomi +100
Carmella +175
Alexa Bliss +850
Becky Lynch +900
Mickie James 1100
Natalya +1700

Neville -420
Austin Aries +300

Bray Wyatt +250
Randy Orton -350

Brock Lesnar -2750
Goldberg +1250

The Undertaker +250
Roman Reigns -350

John Cena & Nikki Bella -1750
Miz & Maryse +850

Seth Rollins -565
Triple H +375

Shane McMahon +650
AJ Styles -1350

Bayley -450
Sasha Banks +570
Charlotte Flair +900
Nia Jax +1800

Chris Jericho +450
Kevin Owens -750

Dean Ambrose +650
Baron Corbin -1350

Enzo & Cass -230
Gallows & Anderson +215
Cesaro & Sheamus +1150
Still no surprises, although some of those odds are close enough that they could flip over the weekend if Plans Change.

There's no smart money in yet.

Liquid Communism posted:

Ask yourself honestly how much of 'his promos are poo poo' is you filtering them through the lens of knowing that he won't back up any of the poo poo he's talking because he's ultimately just there to job.

His promos were really, really stale no matter how much he was jobbing. Hell his promos were barely about matches which is what made them stale after awhile. They were very unique to start and then stayed the same for too long.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

RealFoxy posted:

I mean honestly, as hard as the WWE tried to get over John Cena despite the fan's rejection they never even tried to have him end the Undertaker's wrestlemania streak. I don't remember every babyface on the show that was legitimately over coming out and cutting promos about how good and cool John Cena is (His debut doesn't count)

They didn't just try to get Cena over he was extremely over and drew huge money for years and years.

They also spent six months trying to show how Cena was better than the entire roster at their specialties and the internet was so angry at them for years and years for SUPERCENA.

Benne posted:

No poo poo, Sherlock. This thread's been around long enough that most people reading it are familiar with the concept of "smart money," but it's still fun to post early odds and see how they change over the weekend.

Can we go at least one PPV cycle without "heh, no smart money :smug:" bullshit? We already know, you're not impressing anyone.

Ok then why did you say they could flip if plans change. At this point the plans don't matter its a bunch of people donking money around.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 31, 2017

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DoctorGonzo posted:

For fucks sake, everyone butt Naomi.

It's her hometown.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

hyper from Pixie Sticks posted:

So why isn't she being jobbed out in a humiliating manner? Or did she tell Vince her hometown was somewhere else?

You've gotta give the crowd some small glimmer of hope during the long march of despair.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Revenant Threshold posted:

Roode/Itami is a weird feud. Roode's almost face-ish over with his theme and decent mic work. That doesn't matter against Nakamura who'd get cheered over almost anyone, but against Itami, who doesn't have anywhere approaching the charisma or (unless he's got a lot better while he's been injured) the mic skills? I can easily see the crowd cheering for Roode.

Itami's big selling point is his ringwork, so I hope they have him run through some good matches and not just the development cans in the leadup to the next event.

If you told me 10 years ago that Nakamura would have more charisma than KENTA I'd leap over the ropes and then lightly kick you in the face as you lay on the mat.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Maybe they will actually push Matt Sydal now that he is banned from Japan.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

KungFu Grip posted:

He's racist and voted Trump

Just like the company he works for but that doesn't stop people here from loving it!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

VJeff posted:

I love the talent because they're all extremely talented and by and large most of them seem like really cool, nice people, and my NINE NINETY NINE presumably, in part, reaches them in some way. There's not much moral conflict here.

All corporations are run by garbage people because those are the only kinds of people that get to the top of the corporate world. Basically anything you spend money on is gonna line the pockets of some dreadful caricature of a human being. I'm pretty sure 30 Rock did a bit about this.

Actually they aren't giving talent a cut of the network money, so all the money they'd get for PPVs and DVDs that was lost with the switchover? They don't get a dime.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Chris James 2 posted:

Tyler Bate retains UK title over Mark Andrews. WWE UK champ vs PROGRESS champ, Bate vs Dunne, at Takeover Chicago

Can't imagine how that one is gonna go!

VJeff posted:

Hmmmm.

That's bad.

And when wrestlers tried to find out what the deal was management kept putting off addressing it until people stopped asking.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Venomous posted:

tbh I realise now that they changed their plans for WM30 because Network subs weren't at a stable, profitable level and most of their revenue still came from PPVs and DVDs and stuff like that, whereas they could afford to push Roman into the main event of the last three WMs because people would still subscribe to the Network regardless of his push

they're literally just doing what Vince wants because they're making money regardless of who's pushed to the top, so if they have an ace that works a safe style + works really good matches now and again, who gives a poo poo about what the fans think?

(of course, this mindset will change quite sharply when their TV deal expires and/or when Vince dies)

Doesn't really change when Vince dies because HHH loves Roman too. Well, by the time Vince dies Roman will probably be retired so yeah maybe the top guy will change by then.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Thank you for continuing to give Rush no reason to jump during a week where he's probably peeved at CMLL. You are the best, racist WWE.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Gargano is way too young to hold the belt.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

bradzilla posted:

I just realized WWE is putting Roman over the Undertaker, Brock Lesnar and John Cena in the span of one calendar year. And he still won't be over after it all :allears:

He is hugely over, listen to the reactions he gets.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DarkstarIV posted:

Apparently Jinder may be doing a media tour of India this week, if so, expect him to retain the title tonight. :suicide:

Expecting him to lose it before the India tour is pretty nutty.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DarkstarIV posted:

They would have ample time to give it back to him, to be fair. There are five weeks between Hell in a Cell and Survivor Series, and the week after Survivor Series is Starrcade, where Jinder vs Nakamura for the title is being advertised. After that is the India tour, and there is talk of having a December PPV for Smackdown (Clash of Champions).

You don't try to build a guy up for six months for a market to hot shot a title around like that right before you tour that market. Even if the house shows are a small part of the India picture, it's crazy to do that especially for someone with no momentum like Nakamura.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DarkstarIV posted:

Yeah, and the reason Nakamura has no momentum is because of being stuck in this lovely feud with Jinder. I'd argue Dolph was a key factor as well, but Dolph kills the momentum of anyone he feuds with these days, not just Nakamura. Also you could argue they didn't need to hotshot the belt to Jinder either, since he had pretty much no momentum heading into his first title victory. And like I posted above, he's not helping WWE get into the Indian market, and is almost certainly driving down gate numbers and subscriber numbers across the board. There are other factors in that, but I would say Jinder is a big cause of that.

I've already decided that if Jinder retains, I'm probably going to stop watching Smackdown until he drops the title. Oh yeah, and Road Dogg loving sucks at booking.

So Nakamura had momentum before this feud and wasn't just coasting having average matches and one brief cool exchange with AJ?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Not sure Ryder or Dolph would be much of a draw for the big indies either

Dolph would make really good money on the indies for awhile.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Billzasilver posted:

I like to think most good WWE moments happen by accident. Good for Kallisto, winning before Vince could notice the change of plans.

I'd be shocked if the call didn't come from Vince.

DeathChicken posted:

Given WWE's history, I wouldn't be surprised if Neville was planned to lose, he left instead, so they had Kalisto win as a gesture of "See you would have totally won the belt if you showed up"

Sounds about right if not an outright way to mock him for leaving.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

rovert posted:

This Shield run is like one of the bad 90s Horsemen reunions.

Gonna be sad when Dean Ambrose dies.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Congrats to Champion of the Month AJ Styles, wrongly robbing Okada and his perfect tweet.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It's smart of WWE not to have Brock squash their new Indian Icon, AJ is old and disposable.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Vilkata posted:

Did AJ have any outstanding matches against hosses in NJPW?

He had some really good matches with Abyss in TNA 10 years ago!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Well yeah, but that still doesn't explain why the title switch happens NOW

If Mahal was gonna get the title back just before the tour, why didn't he drop it much earlier on a more invested storyline with Nakamura. The only seeming reason for him to have kept the title over Nakamura was to have the credibiltiy of being a long-holding champion heading into India.

Everything about this reeks of something backstage happening that upset plans

Nakamura's run has kind of sucked while AJ's has been good.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Chris James 2 posted:

TNA

Dick Justice, Allie, Garza Jr, Fallah Bahh and Eddie Edwards defeat Konley, Laurel, KM, Fantasma and Adonis in a Thanksgiving match. Adonis loses so he has to wear the infamous turkey suit

Look I know I just posted how D'amore booked some bad poo poo too during his run in TNA so we shouldn't be surprised BUT HOW DOES THIS COMPANY NEVER CHANGE

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

exploded mummy posted:

It should have been Christopher Daniels

Somehow

Should've been AJ Styles.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I personally hope Jinder loses the title right before WrestleMania only to win it back the Smackdown after and continues this pattern for years to come.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Djarum posted:

I canceled my Network subscription after Survivor Series and I probably won't be back until the Rumble. WWE has just gotten so stale and boring even for their standards. It just gets so hard to watch people you like have the same boring match every week and hear people talk like they have had a stroke.

I have NJPW World which gives me New Japan, CMLL and the big RoH shows. I'll probably sign up for the RoH service next year too. That will be more than enough good wrestling for me.

There's plenty more CMLL streaming live on youtube too!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

VJeff posted:

Tye was in the Rumble 100% just to avoid a bad reaction when somebody else came out at 10, it's a unique situation that doesn't apply to Gargano.

Ok, Bo Dallas was put in the Rumble and still poo poo up NXT for another year, they put Itami in the Andre Battle Royal, etc.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DarkstarIV posted:

That's what I feel as well. I just hope they don't give Shayna a long title run if so. She's really not great in the ring unless the person she's working with is decent to great. I guess on a personal level, I don't really want to see her win because I'm afraid she'll get the Lesnar treatment and just steamroll the roster in five minute squash matches, and that would damage the prestige of the NXT Women's Championship, which has been pretty solid until now.

She's been wrestling for two years.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Djarum posted:

Wow. Those Harris Brothers are some real winners. I have heard some really disturbing stories about them over the years. I am kind of surprised that people are actually willing to do business with them.

My favorite Harris story is Macho Man heard Hogan might be in the area when he did his brief TNA stint in 2004. He was afraid Hogan might try to shoot on him so he had Ron Harris act as his bodyguard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

oatgan posted:

I think they produced his album or something? There was some prior relationship from Randys rap career that led to this.

He managed the tour. He was working in country and Christian music at the time. No clue if he was trying to manage Prussian Blue.