Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I was playing Overwatch when my third monitor turned into this garbled mess, and hard locked my computer.

I'm running that monitor off of Intel integrated graphics, and according to the Intel Driver Update Utility, I have the latest version (15.40.25.4463).

Is there something else I should be checking? It only affected that monitor and not the other two hooked up to my 6870.

CPU: i5-6500
GPU: HD 6870
RAM: 16GB DDR4 2400
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO
HDD: 1TB Samsung Drive + 2TB WD Green

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*
have you tried switching the cables that connect your monitor to the computer?

what else have you tried already?

Machaon
Sep 2, 2008
What you describe is pretty much classic graphics card failure in my (admittedly somewhat limited) experience, but your post is missing a lot of info.

Like what were you doing on the 3rd monitor when it did that? What happened after you rebooted? How old is that MoBo? What, if anything, have you done to troubleshoot the problem?

Stuff like that.

A good thing to do in my opinion, assuming this problem repeats itself, would be to connect one of the other monitors to the integrated graphics and the 3rd to the 6870 and see what happens.

If it happens on the 3rd again, it's the monitor. If the other, it's either the cable or (far more likely) the graphics chipset.

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING
And also what is the make / model of the motherboard?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
Motherboard is a H110M-Pro-VD, about a month old.

I wasn't doing anything actively on the monitor. It just had battlenet, steam, and foobar on it.

The first time it happened (under similar circumstances), I upped the ram dedicated to my igpu to 256 MB, and updated the Intel graphics driver. I took the picture the second time it happened.

I haven't tried swapping cables, but I am trying a VGA cable instead of DVI like I was using, and nothing has happened yet.

I tried running memtest, and I ended up getting some errors during the Hammering Rows part:

I think my RAM could be the source of my problem, so I'm going to RMA it, and go from there.

Thanks for the troubleshooting ideas.

• Locked thread