Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emanuel Yam
Aug 22, 2004

Take it from our drummer, 'Puff'
Being good it gets you stuff
So I got a dog from a shelter a few months ago, He's a great dane/mastiff mix and 5 months old when i got him. Apart from being underweight, there is nothing to suggest he was treated particularly poorly by whoever gave him up. I bounce between 2 properties, a suburban house in a city and on a big property in the country. He's been a great dog overall, very affectionate with my family, good with my young nephew, fitted into the pack of my families other dogs (white shepherd, boarder collie).

But when he gets around 'prey' animals, his body language changes and he wants to them chase down and rip them apart. Theres been 2 incidents so far. The first, he'd gotten away from my dad on a walk at the rural property with the other dogs and chased down one of the sheep that roam around, grabbed it and savaged it, pretty much ripped and tore its lip until it was hanging off, before my dad could drag him off. (was a bit of a horror show but i got a vet there and he managed to sititch it all back together and the sheep is healed up now) I should probabaly add he's about 40kgs already, quite muscular with big jaws and can really move.
So after that he was confined to the house and the fenced area around it. Still has plenty of room but i put him on a lead when we got anywhere near the livestock. He also liked to chase the 100s of kangaroos that live on the property and the bushland around it. I let him go because they spook and could always bounce off a lot faster than he could run. Until he actually caught one to my surprise, a smallish juvenile, by the time id caught up he'd broken its neck and tail. (Ended up butchering it, now in the freezer).

Its obviously in his nature to be so agressive to these other animals and i can see why they originally used them to pull down boars. But im paranoid about when we are in the suburban house. There's 2 cats there that live in a seperate room but if someone one day accidently leaves the door open its going to be a bloodbath. I dont know if its even possible to desensitise him to them or how to go about 'training' him not to engage in that behaviour because everytime i try and introduce him to the cats he starts trying to lunge and grab them. At this point i dont know if its a lost cause and im just going to have to segregate him and be constantly wary. Anyone dealt with this kind of thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

I'd be working with a qualified trainer to address these problems. The issues with prey animals outside wasn't too concerning to me - just keep him leashed, work on desensitization, impulse control, give him appropriate outlets, etc. But the cats indoors are a cause of concern for me. Some dogs can differentiate outside animals vs inside, but I'd want a trainer to assess your situation in person.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Emanuel Yam posted:

At this point i dont know if its a lost cause and im just going to have to segregate him and be constantly wary.

You're going to have to do this no matter what you do so I would just start getting used to it.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Not an expert but if your dog has a 50% kill rate on things larger than a cat then that should be a giant red flag. They weren't raised together either so there's no reason to think that it'll see your cats as anything except wandering snacks.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Carmant posted:

You're going to have to do this no matter what you do so I would just start getting used to it.

No matter how you train him you are always going to have to do this. He's too aggressive to do otherwise and he'd never be trustworthy. All it would take is one second where one of the cats sends out the wrong signal and you've got a dead cat on your hands.

In your shoes, I'd probably return him to the shelter and say "Sorry, he's just too aggressive, he's mauled a sheep and killed a kangaroo and I can't trust him around my cats."

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*
If you don't raise pups with weaker animals, they can get aggressive, especially if they're very high-energy breeds like yours. You can iron out this behavior, sure, but it will take a few years of constant and unrelenting discipline and, even then, you could still lose a cat by then, potentially get into trouble with others where you live or worse.

If you really can't invest that time, just find another canine. I've had dogs like this before, and they're either a huge hassle or the complete opposite, it just all depends on how they're raised and, clearly, your Mastiff wasn't raised well.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

FoxStrats posted:

If you really can't invest that time, just find another canine. I've had dogs like this before, and they're either a huge hassle or the complete opposite, it just all depends on how they're raised and, clearly, your Mastiff wasn't raised well.

Dog's don't develop strong prey drive due to not being "raised well," it's an innate drive that varies with individual breed and temperament. You can mitigate it with management and training but "raising them well" won't cause it not to develop.

OP, as someone who keeps game bred pit bulls on a farm, and has had experience managing extremely driven dogs around prey animals: work on a very solid "leave-it," a very solid recall, and keep other pets segregated from the dog. No walking off leash, no interacting with other pets unsupervised, if at all. You'll just have to be really loving careful about not letting the cats out. Once you're in the routine of keeping them separate its no biggie.

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

Superconsndar posted:

Dog's don't develop strong prey drive due to not being "raised well," it's an innate drive that varies with individual breed and temperament. You can mitigate it with management and training but "raising them well" won't cause it not to develop.

Except raising them with routine, positive-reinforcement, and proper diagnostics of stimulus for dog-aggression and prey drive triggers is raising them well, and that's how you prevent unfavorable behaviors from developing or, in other words, from getting worse

Like, yes, you're right, each dog has a unique prey drive which waxes and wanes with the dog's age, but who gives a literal gently caress about a given dog's theoretical prey drive if it doesn't manifest in grisly shreds of rat, cat, and child on your rug in the morning? I'm exaggerating of course, but you're extrapolating on a point I did not make.

And yes, Terrier and Bull breeds are probably going to be more aggressive than your average Pug or Corgi, so they will require closer attention to training and discipline. If the previous owner was too incompetent to administer that training and depth of care, then you're going to get either a very aggressive or aggressively defensive dog. If, however, they did receive that care, then you might even have a naturally aggressive and muscular dog who is gentle enough to be allowed around livestock, but I'd still hesitate with cats and toddlers (you can't ever be too safe.)

unpleasantly turgid fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 22, 2016

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

yes

those things are true

however "raised well" is a buzzword slippery slope for the average pet owner who doesn't understand dog behvaior or have a background in behavior modification

so you just sound like a twat

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Your dog is a hunting animal. The dane and mastiff are old as hell hunting breeds that were bred to take down large game or at least corner it and deal with it's terrified rushes as hunters came up to murder it.

Your dog would be a godsend to people hunting feral hogs in TX bogs that wouldn't mind teaching it how to hunt. You don't want it to do that and that's fine. Teach your dog to have an off button. Show us some videos of how your dog gets wild and we can probably give you some better ideas. You say there's roos everywhere- show us that. My psychotic bitch has the beginnings of an off button after these many trillions of years trying and god drat, if that lunatic can cope with an off button any dog can. But without seeing exactly how your dog reacts my instinct is to tell you to go deal with a local trainer who understands dogs that have an innate instinct to hunt and kill poo poo, not some moron who'll go "oh treats r the way and love ur puppy until it works".

He's a good dog that can't do what his instincts are telling him to. You're going to have to teach him that listening to his instincts blindly aren't the best idea. There are a great many lessons he'll be learning and not all of them will be comfortable or happy ones and some of them will hurt his feelings, but if you don't want him to go tear apart sheep because haha holy poo poo look at that prey animal OH MY GOD IT'S RUNNING I GOTTA GO KILL THAT BYE, it's pretty necessary.

Or just keep him on a leash when he's not in a fenced area.

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK

FoxStrats posted:

Except raising them with routine, positive-reinforcement, and proper diagnostics of stimulus for dog-aggression and prey drive triggers is raising them well, and that's how you prevent unfavorable behaviors from developing or, in other words, from getting worse

Like, yes, you're right, each dog has a unique prey drive which waxes and wanes with the dog's age, but who gives a literal gently caress about a given dog's theoretical prey drive if it doesn't manifest in grisly shreds of rat, cat, and child on your rug in the morning? I'm exaggerating of course, but you're extrapolating on a point I did not make.

And yes, Terrier and Bull breeds are probably going to be more aggressive than your average Pug or Corgi, so they will require closer attention to training and discipline. If the previous owner was too incompetent to administer that training and depth of care, then you're going to get either a very aggressive or aggressively defensive dog. If, however, they did receive that care, then you might even have a naturally aggressive and muscular dog who is gentle enough to be allowed around livestock, but I'd still hesitate with cats and toddlers (you can't ever be too safe.)

The dog's innate level of aggression is really, really important to take into consideration when you're trying to get a handle on it. Literally anyone with two braincells to rub together should care A LOT about what level of aggression their dog is capable of, especially if their dog has already murdered some things. Extrapolating that the dog was raised poorly from the fact a hunting mix wanted to kill some prey animals is loving asinine. There are plenty of dogs out there who literally will never be safe around prey animals and no amount of ~raisin them right~ is gonna change that. You're never going to raise a genetically DA as hell dog or one with insane prey drive well enough to keep ""unfavorable behaviors from developing"" when those undesirable behaviors are literally what they were bred to do. Can you improve their response to prey via training? Sure. But you're kidding yourself if you think you can keep it from ever surfacing in some dogs or that all dogs can be trained to be ok around prey animals.

You keep making these mouthsounds that kinda almost sound like you have an idea of what you're talking about but then totally poo poo the bed, it kinda owns. tbh it reads suspiciously like you've just read a book or two about positive reinforcement but have zero hands on experience working with highly prey driven or DA dogs

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Guy, I found a coywolf puppy, if I raise it right and never allow it to express its instincts it will never howl at night nor eat the neighborhood cats, right? RIGHT? :ohdear:

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

So your dog likes to kill things. How do you stop it? Here's some advice:

1) Don't let it loose around things it can murder
2)Keep an eye on it at all times
3)Don't let it loose around things it can murder
4)Find someone who got an education and is certified in training dogs to do things, and pay them money to teach you to train the dog to do things

Just some useful tips!

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

but you guys

if i just knew more about how to Raise A Dog Right my game and hogging bred pit bulls wouldnt be DA or prey driven

maybe
read
a
book

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I read a book once, it was about a slow puppy and the spine was shiny and metallic like my pokemon cards.

I bet that puppy didn't chase other animals.

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
look if a dogs raised right it won't be aggressive ok

god loving learn how to train a dog

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Ausrotten posted:

look if a dogs raised right it won't be aggressive ok

god loving learn how to train a dog

im sorr,y im new to this! but im learning every day :(

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Ausrotten posted:

The dog's innate level of aggression is really, really important to take into consideration when you're trying to get a handle on it. Literally anyone with two braincells to rub together should care A LOT about what level of aggression their dog is capable of, especially if their dog has already murdered some things. Extrapolating that the dog was raised poorly from the fact a hunting mix wanted to kill some prey animals is loving asinine. There are plenty of dogs out there who literally will never be safe around prey animals and no amount of ~raisin them right~ is gonna change that. You're never going to raise a genetically DA as hell dog or one with insane prey drive well enough to keep ""unfavorable behaviors from developing"" when those undesirable behaviors are literally what they were bred to do. Can you improve their response to prey via training? Sure. But you're kidding yourself if you think you can keep it from ever surfacing in some dogs or that all dogs can be trained to be ok around prey animals.

You keep making these mouthsounds that kinda almost sound like you have an idea of what you're talking about but then totally poo poo the bed, it kinda owns. tbh it reads suspiciously like you've just read a book or two about positive reinforcement but have zero hands on experience working with highly prey driven or DA dogs

gonna quote this because while ausrotten is a giant throbbing dick about how he says things this is completely accurate. (i still think you are cool fit dogge obsessee :smith: )

You have yourself a giant weaponized dogge.

you need to seriously pay a lot of attention to that thing unless you want it murdering things.

(incidentally i always wanted a mastiff, they are just so huge and ugly and awesome)

the prey drive may not completely subside, but you just have to somehow become pack alpha and make sure to give a prey dog a good murder-outlet or something reasonably similar.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

SneakyFrog posted:

gonna quote this because while ausrotten is a giant throbbing dick about how he says things this is completely accurate. (i still think you are cool fit dogge obsessee :smith: )

You have yourself a giant weaponized dogge.

you need to seriously pay a lot of attention to that thing unless you want it murdering things.

(incidentally i always wanted a mastiff, they are just so huge and ugly and awesome)

the prey drive may not completely subside, but you just have to somehow become pack alpha and make sure to give a prey dog a good murder-outlet or something reasonably similar.

Well of course you still like her, who doesn't love a giant throbbing dick? :cmon:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
eh my horrible gendered speech patterns assumes most dickhead posters are dudes but yah i should learn some of these advanced social skills all the hip kids are on about.

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
pi is the one place on sa where it's safe to assume anyone you're talking to is a woman

SneakyFrog posted:

but you just have to somehow become pack alpha

:cripes:

dogs aren't pack animals, dominance theory is dumb bullshit that lovely trainers keep yelling about even though the scientific community discredited it literal decades ago

gdi

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Ausrotten posted:

pi is the one place on sa where it's safe to assume anyone you're talking to is a woman

:cripes:

dogs aren't pack animals, dominance theory is dumb bullshit that lovely trainers keep yelling about even though the scientific community discredited it literal decades ago

gdi

never said i was an expert and stuff in terms and thingies. I aint saying hump your dog. just the healthy respect thing. :shrug: my bad.

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK

SneakyFrog posted:

never said i was an expert and stuff in terms and thingies. I aint saying hump your dog. just the healthy respect thing. :shrug: my bad.

sorry, its just one of those just so stories about dogs that is really frustrating because the idea of being alpha is so pervasive thanks to lovely trainers even though it was disproven ages ago. basically dominance theory is that wolves (and by extension dogs) are constantly competing with each other for social status within their pack and are held in check by the alpha male and female. It arose from two separate studies: Schenkels 1948 wolf behavior study and L. David Mech's 1968 book "The Wolf: Ecology and Behavior of an Endangered Species". There are a number of problems with both studies, the biggest being that both were done by studying captive packs of unrelated animals. These packs DID display intense competition for dominance for a very simple reason: wild wolf packs do not consist of unrelated members and pack members rarely stay together for more than a couple of years. The unnatural composition of the packs in these studies caused the wolves to behave in a manner not seen in nature - namely intense, often violent competition and a strict but shifting hierarchy of alphas, betas, omegas etc. Mech eventually did a 10 year study of wild wolves (which was confirmed by other biologists) and discovered that wolf packs consist of a breeding pair and their puppies. As the pups reach sexual maturity, they leave to find a mate and form their own packs so typically the only consistent members of any pack is the breeding pair. This type of pack composition eliminates the need for social competition between members and vying for social dominance is basically non-existent. Mech's original book was so incredibly wrong that he's been pleading with the publisher to remove it from print but so far they've refused.

Then trainers for some baffling reason took his terrible theory and ran with it, attributing everything from dogs sitting on the couch to walking in front of their owners to attacking children to being ~dominant~. If dominance theory is totally wrong when it comes to wolves, why should it be true for dogs? Dogs aren't wolves and extrapolating dog's social behavior from that of wolves isn't terribly useful . Studies of feral and village dog populations show a social structure that greatly differs from that of the grey wolf. Feral dogs tend to be social but largely solitary, only coming together to breed and at large foraging sites like garbage dumps. Little evidence of steady pack behavior has been seen and there's a good deal of evidence that the modern domestic dog did not evolve directly from the grey wolf. The two species diverged in the late Pleistocene era and current research suggests that by the time humans started directly interacting with canids, they were already dogs. Rather than the mythological idea of early man stealing wolf pups and making dogs out of them, there's evidence that wolves self-domesticated by foraging at paleolithic trash sites. To effectively forage around human populations wolves probably self selected for low flight distance, a trait that has been linked to the retention of juvenile traits found in dogs. There's a really good book by ethologists Ray and Lorna Coppinger about the domestication, evolution, and social behavior of the dog that's definitely worth picking up if you're even vaguely interested in the subject.

aanyways thats a lot of :words: to basically say stop using the term alpha and stop using wolf behavior to make assumptions about dog behavior because its super outdated science

Ausrotten fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 23, 2016

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Ausrotten posted:

aanyways thats a lot of :words: to basically say stop using the term alpha and stop using wolf behavior to make assumptions about dog behavior because its super outdated science

But how can i have an alpha kitten if i cant use alpha?

:catbert:

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

Superconsndar posted:

yes

those things are true

however "raised well" is a buzzword slippery slope for the average pet owner who doesn't understand dog behvaior or have a background in behavior modification

so you just sound like a twat

I'll admit that I gave myself more etymological wiggle room than I probably needed, but calling me a "twat"? Really?

Ausrotten posted:

Yes, you're right. I don't recall ever saying that a dog's prey drive doesn't exist, but that with proper control of the animal and gradual exposure to prey animals in controlled settings, they can become net-safer in future, less-controlled exposures; I mean, it's almost like, well, I don't know, but I have a feeling t- that.. that we're saying the same thing! Like it's blatantly obvious you're just looking for someone to poo poo on, which I'm fine with - I understand that farmhands and hicks have some inflated ego and that needs to be taken out for a walk every now and again, but could you at least make a substantive response that actually sticks? I've raised a Mastiff for two years and eleven months this August in the city; I know he's loving itching to kill things, but we've tackled endless trials to iron out what of his impetuous behavior that we could. Yes, you can still feel that he's a bit on edge when we're out in the park so I keep him on a leash, but even if I drop the handle he isn't going to lose his poo poo.

unpleasantly turgid fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 25, 2016

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

SneakyFrog posted:

If you want your dog to become more volatile and direct his/her stress at you, I agree - dominate them. Also, who said don't hump your dog? I'm sure your pup would love a little bit of affection!

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

FoxStrats posted:

I'll admit that I gave myself more etymological wiggle room than I probably needed, but calling me a "twat"? Really?

Yes, you're right. I don't recall ever saying that a dog's prey drive doesn't exist, but that with proper control of the animal and gradual exposure to prey animals in controlled settings, they can become net-safer in future, less-controlled exposures; I mean, it's almost like, well, I don't know, but I have a feeling t- that.. that we're saying the same thing! Like it's blatantly obvious you're just looking for someone to poo poo on, which I'm fine with - I understand that farmhands and hicks have some inflated ego and that needs to be taken out for a walk every now and again, but could you at least make a substantive response that actually sticks? I've raised a Mastiff for two years and eleven months this August in the city; I know he's loving itching to kill things, but we've tackled endless trials to iron out what of his impetuous behavior that we could. Yes, you can still feel that he's a bit on edge when we're out in the park so I keep him on a leash, but even if I drop the handle he isn't going to lose his poo poo.

Lol you raised a mastiff for 3 years in the city. Good job. This "farm hand and hick" has been involved in game bred pit bulls for well over a decade and has kept them in apartments, in the city, in houses, in the suburbs, and for the past three years, a farm I purchased and own. I have owned game bred dogs in literally every possible scenario minus a household with children- for someone so offended by the usage of the word "twat," you sure did jump to some conclusions there!

I see that you are new here. Ausrotten is one of the most educated and competent dog owners I know, and she keeps IPO bred German Shepherds on her own farm with goats and poultry. It's easy to reduce the knowledge of people who live in rural areas to colloquialisms and anecdotal trivialities when they're disagreeing with your points, but sorry dude, I have known Ausrotten for close to a decade and she's not a "rural farm hand," nor am I. (If we were, would it negate our dog knowledge?) We both raise highly driven dogs in addition to LGDs and have both spent the majority of our lives studying behavioral science (you should really take in the post she made, it shrekt you) and you sound pretty buttmad that you're being called out for giving poor advice and making incorrect statements about how prey drive works in dogs.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

What kind of mastiff is it? Because that's sincerely important.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

I think he's writing you off too as a "Farmhand and hick" because you're talking about hunting with dogs in rural areas.

Hi FoxStrats. Fluffy Bunnies also owns a farm while having also living in city and suburban area with driven dogs in the past. She keeps Danes, a couple smaller herder mutts, and LGDs on her farm with pigs, sheep, goats, rabbits and poultry in addition to cats and various other indoor animals. I have been to her house and seen up close the length of management she goes to to keep her livestock safe. In fact, I trust her (and Ausrotten too!) enough that they are likely to be getting LGD puppies from my next years litter. I am picky and judgmental as gently caress about who I let my animals go to. These two ladies know more about managing driven dogs than just about any other dog owners I know.

So you have three people here who have kept and raised prey driven and dog aggressive breeds in city, suburban, and rural environments, who all own farms, and who all do this on the daily. I would really like an explanation of your "farmhands and hick" quip. I know that we can never compare to someone who has kept a mastiff in the city for three years, but we are all eager to learn from you!

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK

FoxStrats posted:

I honestly don't know how given the content of both of our posts you could come to the conclusion that we're saying the same thing. You said a dog's actual level of prey drive is irrelevant, I think that's loving ridiculous and short sighted. The dog's inherent level of prey drive is precisely what dictates what training measures you need to take and the level of management you need to engage in to keep a bloodbath from happening. You stated that because the dog killed prey animals, he was raised poorly. That's loving nonsense - there are a number of dogs who will never be safe around prey animals even if their owners pour literal years into training. Sighthounds, primitive breeds, and hunting dogs often fall into this category and by telling owners that all dogs have the ability to coexist with prey animals if they're raised around them and raised well, you're creating an unrealistic and frankly dangerous expectation. It's fine to hope they will but given the level of aggression the OP's dog has shown it seems extremely unrealistic to expect that it will be ok in a townhouse with kittens. Given the age the OP acquired the dog and the fact that it is essentially a catchdog, it's very unlikely that what he's seeing is just a result of poor ownership. When you see very high levels of hunt and prey drive at a young age, especially in dogs bred for that specific purpose the likelihood that it's instinctual is very high. OP's dog sounds like he has the potential to be a great hunting dog but doesn't sound like a super appropriate dog for living in a townhouse with small animals.

When you say things like by raising dogs right you can prevent undesirable behaviors from surfacing it does in fact sound exactly like you're saying you can prevent the drive to kill animals from surfacing as long as you're a good owner. That apparently is not what you meant but you communicated that extremely poorly. So far every time someone's pointed out that you're wrong about something you've back pedaled or attenuated your statements so much that they barely resemble your initial posts and it's both super transparent and super frustrating. I mean you're even equating prey drive and human aggression by saying it's untrustworthy around children so l o l (i'm sure of course that isn't ACTUALLY what you meant of course ;) )

this tho

FoxStrats posted:

I understand that farmhands and hicks have some inflated ego

is the most hilarious thing i've read all day so thank you for that. What would a bunch of people raising murderdogs around livestock and wildlife know about dealing with prey drive and livestock compared to some dude with his first prey driven dog in the city??

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

also this

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK

FoxStrats posted:

If you want your dog to become more volatile and direct his/her stress at you, I agree - dominate them. Also, who said don't hump your dog? I'm sure your pup would love a little bit of affection!

when you say dominate them, what precisely do you mean

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Superconsndar posted:

I think he's writing you off too as a "Farmhand and hick" because you're talking about hunting with dogs in rural areas.

Hi FoxStrats. Fluffy Bunnies also owns a farm while having also living in city and suburban area with driven dogs in the past. She keeps Danes, a couple smaller herder mutts, and LGDs on her farm with pigs, sheep, goats, rabbits and poultry in addition to cats and various other indoor animals. I have been to her house and seen up close the length of management she goes to to keep her livestock safe. In fact, I trust her (and Ausrotten too!) enough that they are likely to be getting LGD puppies from my next years litter. I am picky and judgmental as gently caress about who I let my animals go to. These two ladies know more about managing driven dogs than just about any other dog owners I know.

So you have three people here who have kept and raised prey driven and dog aggressive breeds in city, suburban, and rural environments, who all own farms, and who all do this on the daily. I would really like an explanation of your "farmhands and hick" quip. I know that we can never compare to someone who has kept a mastiff in the city for three years, but we are all eager to learn from you!

*flutters fan* tut, I'm blushing.

Giant breeds are where my passion lies with dogs. So please. Tell me about your mastiff. I sincerely want to know what you're keeping, foxstrate dude. Tell me his lines, tell me what he does, tell me what you do for mitigation. There's nothing wrong with a soft mastiff. There's nothing wrong with a hunt bred or protection bred or whatever mastiff. They've been used for a lot of poo poo and while I lean toward more utility based animals (the danes are far too old to do much, though), I know they're not for everyone. But I'd sincerely like to know about your mastiff and what you do to manage him.

I kept my socoipathic bitch dane in Japan which basically meant "haha oh god she's going to kill something soft and fluffy" every second she left the house and man somehow I managed for that not to happen. Though I am far and by and well aware that it's entire possible that had I hosed up, there'd have been a line of dead fluffy little dogs because they run at just the right fluffy little rate for her eyes to glaze over.

Ausrotten posted:

:twisted:

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Ausrotten posted:

is there any way this isn't a sex thing?

no

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Emanuel Yam posted:

So I got a dog from a shelter a few months ago, He's a great dane/mastiff mix and 5 months old when i got him. Apart from being underweight, there is nothing to suggest he was treated particularly poorly by whoever gave him up. I bounce between 2 properties, a suburban house in a city and on a big property in the country. He's been a great dog overall, very affectionate with my family, good with my young nephew, fitted into the pack of my families other dogs (white shepherd, boarder collie).

But when he gets around 'prey' animals, his body language changes and he wants to them chase down and rip them apart. Theres been 2 incidents so far. The first, he'd gotten away from my dad on a walk at the rural property with the other dogs and chased down one of the sheep that roam around, grabbed it and savaged it, pretty much ripped and tore its lip until it was hanging off, before my dad could drag him off. (was a bit of a horror show but i got a vet there and he managed to sititch it all back together and the sheep is healed up now) I should probabaly add he's about 40kgs already, quite muscular with big jaws and can really move.
So after that he was confined to the house and the fenced area around it. Still has plenty of room but i put him on a lead when we got anywhere near the livestock. He also liked to chase the 100s of kangaroos that live on the property and the bushland around it. I let him go because they spook and could always bounce off a lot faster than he could run. Until he actually caught one to my surprise, a smallish juvenile, by the time id caught up he'd broken its neck and tail. (Ended up butchering it, now in the freezer).

Its obviously in his nature to be so agressive to these other animals and i can see why they originally used them to pull down boars. But im paranoid about when we are in the suburban house. There's 2 cats there that live in a seperate room but if someone one day accidently leaves the door open its going to be a bloodbath. I dont know if its even possible to desensitise him to them or how to go about 'training' him not to engage in that behaviour because everytime i try and introduce him to the cats he starts trying to lunge and grab them. At this point i dont know if its a lost cause and im just going to have to segregate him and be constantly wary. Anyone dealt with this kind of thing?

hey are you in queensland? cause i know some people who would be interested in that dog if he doesn't work out for you.

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

Ausrotten posted:

You said a dog's actual level of prey drive is irrelevant, I think that's loving ridiculous and short sighted.
theoretical - IE without training or discipline. Abstract ceiling average in a given breed's genetic group.

Ausrotten posted:

is the most hilarious thing i've read all day so thank you for that. What would a bunch of people raising murderdogs around livestock and wildlife know about dealing with prey drive and livestock compared to some dude with his first prey driven dog in the city??
Lol you seemed to be in your element making unnecessarily disparaging and sardonic remarks, I don't know what leaves you exempt to equally annoying, disparaging and belittling jabs. And I appreciate the effort to call the cavalier, but don't make this about Fluffy Bunnies or SuperConsndar, "farmhands and hicks" wasn't meant towards either of them seeing as they don't devolve into arrogant quips, but only you and in a retaliatory way. Also, I don't know how that's commentary on ability or knowledge to raise dogs. Not everyone is out to question your credentials, but sorry for the vitriol :*

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I agree. Bully (Kutta) Mastiff. Muscular, bold, territorial, pretty curious, the breed has history as guard pets in India and Pakistan. Isn't fond of visitors, but he doesn't turn aggression into anything beyond staring, not sure how much of this is my doing. Was socialized young and practically raised outside, so he does well in the area given that we haven't moved since he came around, but he's on edge in new areas outside like a one mile radius, so we'll have to work through a new area if we plan on moving anytime soon. We've worked through discipline trials with strangers and territorial fluidity, taught him commands that we (try to) rehearse daily (stop, stand, sit, lie down, run and trot.) We go to a local valley every other week and and throw frisbees and stuffed animals far in front of him to train his resistance to chasing, but try to mix it up so he isn't just not chasing a frisbee.

No incidents to report besides an intermittent booming bark that stirs adjacent apartments. No peculiar stressors or serious ailments, so I've had it easy. He barks at unfamiliar stray animals, but doesn't go beyond that. I'd consider testing if he's actually violent with unfamiliar strays, but, as it turns out, demonstrating my dog's discipline to goons isn't worth a dead animal.

Ausrotten posted:

I mean you're even equating prey drive and human aggression by saying it's untrustworthy around children so l o l (i'm sure of course that isn't ACTUALLY what you meant of course )
"I'm exaggerating of course"

Ausrotten posted:

you're saying you can prevent the drive to kill animals from surfacing as long as you're a good owner. That apparently is not what you meant but you communicated that extremely poorly. So far every time someone's pointed out that you're wrong about something you've back pedaled or attenuated your statements so much that they barely resemble your initial posts and it's both super transparent and super frustrating.
Granted, I use a lot of ambiguous terms and this thread is to help someone so that's definitely my bad, but I don't back pedal and rewrite what I say; you're projecting the assumptions of a know-nothing dog-owner onto what I'm saying, which is clearly causing not only this perception of forked phrases, but a serious derailment of the thread. And yeah, I guess I did communicate my conception of prey drive poorly, but that probably has more to do with how I parse and describe behavior than me just plain not knowing something.

Ausrotten posted:

:smugdon:

unpleasantly turgid fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 26, 2016

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

birdmod im too loving old to deal with this poo poo and im long past my expiration date for careposting in this god forsaken wasteland but cna you please come kick this loving idiot in the nuts before he teaches someone to break a dog

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

im the 2006 dog knowledge being posted in 2016 by a smug infant

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Well you see my dog hasn't killed anything yet therefore

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

FoxFarts you are the platonic ideal of the weird dog mom who trained one dog with a vague problem and read some books and now has a whole world t o educate

I'm the stepping around every point ausrotten made regarding how loving wrong you are about prey drive and desire to kill being a genetic and not a training issue

I'm sitting here petting my hogging bred shitbull on my hog farm in a room full of pet birds and reptiles and small, prey-sized dogs and I'm just chuckling so loudly my walls are shaking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

Superconsndar posted:

FoxFarts you are the platonic ideal of the weird dog mom who trained one dog with a vague problem and read some books and now has a whole world t o educate

I'm the stepping around every point ausrotten made regarding how loving wrong you are about prey drive and desire to kill being a genetic and not a training issue

I'm sitting here petting my hogging bred shitbull on my hog farm in a room full of pet birds and reptiles and small, prey-sized dogs and I'm just chuckling so loudly my walls are shaking

I never said it wasn't genetic lol, and I've been insistent that training curbs the effects of an innate prey drive, not the prey drive itself. How is it that everyone could understand that concept besides you?

You know, you do know a lot about dogs. I'll grant you that.

But other than that, you are by far the dumbest motherfucker I've ever read and - to be perfectly candid - probably more dim than anyone I've ever met, which, frankly, shouldn't surprise me seeing as your greatest confidant and intellectual equal is a guard dog.

You've actually gotten me in stitches.

By the by, is that why you have the Boston Terrier avatar? Because, even though people don't regard your intelligence highly by human standards, you're still considered pretty bright when compared to other dogs? I mean, hey, Roundheads ALMOST break top 50. That's certainly worth bragging about.

unpleasantly turgid fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jul 26, 2016

• Locked thread