Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

FoxStrats posted:

If you really can't invest that time, just find another canine. I've had dogs like this before, and they're either a huge hassle or the complete opposite, it just all depends on how they're raised and, clearly, your Mastiff wasn't raised well.

Dog's don't develop strong prey drive due to not being "raised well," it's an innate drive that varies with individual breed and temperament. You can mitigate it with management and training but "raising them well" won't cause it not to develop.

OP, as someone who keeps game bred pit bulls on a farm, and has had experience managing extremely driven dogs around prey animals: work on a very solid "leave-it," a very solid recall, and keep other pets segregated from the dog. No walking off leash, no interacting with other pets unsupervised, if at all. You'll just have to be really loving careful about not letting the cats out. Once you're in the routine of keeping them separate its no biggie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

yes

those things are true

however "raised well" is a buzzword slippery slope for the average pet owner who doesn't understand dog behvaior or have a background in behavior modification

so you just sound like a twat

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

but you guys

if i just knew more about how to Raise A Dog Right my game and hogging bred pit bulls wouldnt be DA or prey driven

maybe
read
a
book

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Ausrotten posted:

look if a dogs raised right it won't be aggressive ok

god loving learn how to train a dog

im sorr,y im new to this! but im learning every day :(

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

FoxStrats posted:

I'll admit that I gave myself more etymological wiggle room than I probably needed, but calling me a "twat"? Really?

Yes, you're right. I don't recall ever saying that a dog's prey drive doesn't exist, but that with proper control of the animal and gradual exposure to prey animals in controlled settings, they can become net-safer in future, less-controlled exposures; I mean, it's almost like, well, I don't know, but I have a feeling t- that.. that we're saying the same thing! Like it's blatantly obvious you're just looking for someone to poo poo on, which I'm fine with - I understand that farmhands and hicks have some inflated ego and that needs to be taken out for a walk every now and again, but could you at least make a substantive response that actually sticks? I've raised a Mastiff for two years and eleven months this August in the city; I know he's loving itching to kill things, but we've tackled endless trials to iron out what of his impetuous behavior that we could. Yes, you can still feel that he's a bit on edge when we're out in the park so I keep him on a leash, but even if I drop the handle he isn't going to lose his poo poo.

Lol you raised a mastiff for 3 years in the city. Good job. This "farm hand and hick" has been involved in game bred pit bulls for well over a decade and has kept them in apartments, in the city, in houses, in the suburbs, and for the past three years, a farm I purchased and own. I have owned game bred dogs in literally every possible scenario minus a household with children- for someone so offended by the usage of the word "twat," you sure did jump to some conclusions there!

I see that you are new here. Ausrotten is one of the most educated and competent dog owners I know, and she keeps IPO bred German Shepherds on her own farm with goats and poultry. It's easy to reduce the knowledge of people who live in rural areas to colloquialisms and anecdotal trivialities when they're disagreeing with your points, but sorry dude, I have known Ausrotten for close to a decade and she's not a "rural farm hand," nor am I. (If we were, would it negate our dog knowledge?) We both raise highly driven dogs in addition to LGDs and have both spent the majority of our lives studying behavioral science (you should really take in the post she made, it shrekt you) and you sound pretty buttmad that you're being called out for giving poor advice and making incorrect statements about how prey drive works in dogs.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

I think he's writing you off too as a "Farmhand and hick" because you're talking about hunting with dogs in rural areas.

Hi FoxStrats. Fluffy Bunnies also owns a farm while having also living in city and suburban area with driven dogs in the past. She keeps Danes, a couple smaller herder mutts, and LGDs on her farm with pigs, sheep, goats, rabbits and poultry in addition to cats and various other indoor animals. I have been to her house and seen up close the length of management she goes to to keep her livestock safe. In fact, I trust her (and Ausrotten too!) enough that they are likely to be getting LGD puppies from my next years litter. I am picky and judgmental as gently caress about who I let my animals go to. These two ladies know more about managing driven dogs than just about any other dog owners I know.

So you have three people here who have kept and raised prey driven and dog aggressive breeds in city, suburban, and rural environments, who all own farms, and who all do this on the daily. I would really like an explanation of your "farmhands and hick" quip. I know that we can never compare to someone who has kept a mastiff in the city for three years, but we are all eager to learn from you!

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

birdmod im too loving old to deal with this poo poo and im long past my expiration date for careposting in this god forsaken wasteland but cna you please come kick this loving idiot in the nuts before he teaches someone to break a dog

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

im the 2006 dog knowledge being posted in 2016 by a smug infant

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

FoxFarts you are the platonic ideal of the weird dog mom who trained one dog with a vague problem and read some books and now has a whole world t o educate

I'm the stepping around every point ausrotten made regarding how loving wrong you are about prey drive and desire to kill being a genetic and not a training issue

I'm sitting here petting my hogging bred shitbull on my hog farm in a room full of pet birds and reptiles and small, prey-sized dogs and I'm just chuckling so loudly my walls are shaking

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

FoxStrats posted:

I never said it wasn't genetic lol, and I've been insistent that training curbs the effects of an innate prey drive, not the prey drive itself. How is it that everyone could understand that concept besides you?

You know, you do know a lot about dogs. I'll grant you that.

But other than that, you are by far the dumbest motherfucker I've ever read and - to be perfectly candid - probably more dim than anyone I've ever met, which, frankly, shouldn't surprise me seeing as your greatest confidant and intellectual equal is a guard dog.

You've actually gotten me in stitches.

By the by, is that why you have the Boston Terrier avatar? Because, even though people don't regard your intelligence highly by human standards, you're still considered pretty bright when compared to other dogs? I mean, hey, Roundheads ALMOST break top 50. That's certainly worth bragging about.

im quoting this because i dont know what it means

like i see what its TRYING to mean

but im quoting it for future shames

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Herr Zwiebel posted:

You did not just

You did wha

In stitches

Have you in stitches

you magnificent ninja, how your puppets dance

Every step you take, every move you make every smile you fake we'll be watching you

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

FoxStrats posted:

I think it's more about me not knowing what Super does when not piddling around on SA. forgot she dealt in gamebred.

"not knowing i dealt in gamebred" is still hillarious because you still called pit bulls in general "guard dogs" you literal talking bottle of code red Mtn. dew

I have seen a lot of stupid poo poo in all my years on these dead gay forums but someone fedora posting about dogs is brand new

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

SneakyFrog posted:

eh hopefully :unsmith: My "neighborhood" is always trying to form an HOA to restrict dangerous breeds

yeah unless your pit bull literally came from a game breeder it's pretty much a Labrador with a murder switch that can flip at any random rear end time sorry duder

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

SneakyFrog posted:

ah well in that case then 2 should be even more exciting, :rip: me.

Just don't ever leave them alone together and don't be surprised if they eventually stop tolerating each other and be prepared to crate and rotate.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

i still just

foxfarts posted:

By the by, is that why you have the Boston Terrier avatar? Because, even though people don't regard your intelligence highly by human standards, you're still considered pretty bright when compared to other dogs? I mean, hey, Roundheads ALMOST break top 50. That's certainly worth bragging about.

i almost kind of want to change my custom title text to this but I keep alternating between absurd laughter and the overwhelming urge to give foxfarts a wedgie and take his lunch money, i'm conflicted

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

I'm the rapey niceguy vitriolic use of the word bitch as a reaction to a woman telling you you're wrong about dogs lmao

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

why wont fox farts come back

i want to learn about dogs

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

foxfarts pls

i want to put u in stitches again with my ignorance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

But on Pitbull Rescue I was told it was the owner, not the dog.

*eternal existential screaming*

• Locked thread