Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Your dog is a hunting animal. The dane and mastiff are old as hell hunting breeds that were bred to take down large game or at least corner it and deal with it's terrified rushes as hunters came up to murder it.

Your dog would be a godsend to people hunting feral hogs in TX bogs that wouldn't mind teaching it how to hunt. You don't want it to do that and that's fine. Teach your dog to have an off button. Show us some videos of how your dog gets wild and we can probably give you some better ideas. You say there's roos everywhere- show us that. My psychotic bitch has the beginnings of an off button after these many trillions of years trying and god drat, if that lunatic can cope with an off button any dog can. But without seeing exactly how your dog reacts my instinct is to tell you to go deal with a local trainer who understands dogs that have an innate instinct to hunt and kill poo poo, not some moron who'll go "oh treats r the way and love ur puppy until it works".

He's a good dog that can't do what his instincts are telling him to. You're going to have to teach him that listening to his instincts blindly aren't the best idea. There are a great many lessons he'll be learning and not all of them will be comfortable or happy ones and some of them will hurt his feelings, but if you don't want him to go tear apart sheep because haha holy poo poo look at that prey animal OH MY GOD IT'S RUNNING I GOTTA GO KILL THAT BYE, it's pretty necessary.

Or just keep him on a leash when he's not in a fenced area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I read a book once, it was about a slow puppy and the spine was shiny and metallic like my pokemon cards.

I bet that puppy didn't chase other animals.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

SneakyFrog posted:

gonna quote this because while ausrotten is a giant throbbing dick about how he says things this is completely accurate. (i still think you are cool fit dogge obsessee :smith: )

You have yourself a giant weaponized dogge.

you need to seriously pay a lot of attention to that thing unless you want it murdering things.

(incidentally i always wanted a mastiff, they are just so huge and ugly and awesome)

the prey drive may not completely subside, but you just have to somehow become pack alpha and make sure to give a prey dog a good murder-outlet or something reasonably similar.

Well of course you still like her, who doesn't love a giant throbbing dick? :cmon:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

What kind of mastiff is it? Because that's sincerely important.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Superconsndar posted:

I think he's writing you off too as a "Farmhand and hick" because you're talking about hunting with dogs in rural areas.

Hi FoxStrats. Fluffy Bunnies also owns a farm while having also living in city and suburban area with driven dogs in the past. She keeps Danes, a couple smaller herder mutts, and LGDs on her farm with pigs, sheep, goats, rabbits and poultry in addition to cats and various other indoor animals. I have been to her house and seen up close the length of management she goes to to keep her livestock safe. In fact, I trust her (and Ausrotten too!) enough that they are likely to be getting LGD puppies from my next years litter. I am picky and judgmental as gently caress about who I let my animals go to. These two ladies know more about managing driven dogs than just about any other dog owners I know.

So you have three people here who have kept and raised prey driven and dog aggressive breeds in city, suburban, and rural environments, who all own farms, and who all do this on the daily. I would really like an explanation of your "farmhands and hick" quip. I know that we can never compare to someone who has kept a mastiff in the city for three years, but we are all eager to learn from you!

*flutters fan* tut, I'm blushing.

Giant breeds are where my passion lies with dogs. So please. Tell me about your mastiff. I sincerely want to know what you're keeping, foxstrate dude. Tell me his lines, tell me what he does, tell me what you do for mitigation. There's nothing wrong with a soft mastiff. There's nothing wrong with a hunt bred or protection bred or whatever mastiff. They've been used for a lot of poo poo and while I lean toward more utility based animals (the danes are far too old to do much, though), I know they're not for everyone. But I'd sincerely like to know about your mastiff and what you do to manage him.

I kept my socoipathic bitch dane in Japan which basically meant "haha oh god she's going to kill something soft and fluffy" every second she left the house and man somehow I managed for that not to happen. Though I am far and by and well aware that it's entire possible that had I hosed up, there'd have been a line of dead fluffy little dogs because they run at just the right fluffy little rate for her eyes to glaze over.

Ausrotten posted:

when you say dominate them, what precisely do you mean

:twisted:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

SneakyFrog posted:

Hey dont start shittalking suburban/rural rescue pits. They are like loveable and poo poo. I just dont want someone making a murderdog more murdery is all.

I regularly feed Amy the blood of my enemies to make my murderdog more murdery.

(she's not even a murderdog she's just bred a certain way which I am not going to talk about here :) )

Hey Fox I'm glad you've got an Alangu and not some loving english. They're about as "hot" as any turkish (or that area) dog and by that I mean "if you went back in time to the early 1800's and looked at most of the mastiff breeds in europe, it'd have been pretty standard". You're still not dealing with insanely high prey drive though, just an energetic animal with a lot of weight behind it. You basically have an amped up (by one or two ticks) US-bred bull mastiff, dude. Ultimately, my sheltie cross has more prey drive than your dog does and I kept her from going hog wild until we moved out into areas where it didn't matter if she and her dog life partner caught a squirrel and ripped it in half in the space of a breath because that idiot squirrel was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

PartyCrown posted:

dude you should probably look up what game bred means

There's actually a couple of lines of alangus that I've been told of that were bred in for dog aggression and used in fighting, so he might have some flickering idea. Maybe. It's nowhere near like the pit fighting scene that Super's educated about in that these dogs were never that deep into it nor was the culture really the same- though truth be told I only have a very weak understanding of it myself, as alangus aren't particularly populous over here in the US and I don't have a lot of leaning that way. The only turkish-area breed I'm really into is the anatolian (and it's many cousin-named same-breed buddies). That doesn't mean I'm blind about dogs over there, it just means I'm not going to get eyeballs deep in them because meh.

SneakyFrog posted:

Hey dont start shittalking suburban/rural rescue pits. They are like loveable and poo poo. I just dont want someone making a murderdog more murdery is all.

they're only pits in name and not in soul.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Hey thread we're not gonna make a dent in any of these heads so I'm listning to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMTNGrosw9o apparently what're you guys listneing to

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Tamarillo posted:

Excuse me, as you are clearly just a beer-swilling bearded ruffian in a shower cap with in fact no dog in your avatar I do not know why you feel you are well placed to comment on this topic. You should listen to me on this because I have no avatar and therefore have no earthly body so I am probably your conscience speaking.

I'm just an eyeball.

E: WRONG THREAD- apparently I'm a pegasus with hosed up eyeballs. I can deal with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Real talk, I know two guys who worked with K-9 units who had to put down their personal Rottweilers due to them suddenly becoming uncontrollably aggressive towards everyone.

How does that even develop?

dogs can have neurological disorders like anybody else ,as well as what ausrotten said

• Locked thread