Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Ausrotten posted:

The dog's innate level of aggression is really, really important to take into consideration when you're trying to get a handle on it. Literally anyone with two braincells to rub together should care A LOT about what level of aggression their dog is capable of, especially if their dog has already murdered some things. Extrapolating that the dog was raised poorly from the fact a hunting mix wanted to kill some prey animals is loving asinine. There are plenty of dogs out there who literally will never be safe around prey animals and no amount of ~raisin them right~ is gonna change that. You're never going to raise a genetically DA as hell dog or one with insane prey drive well enough to keep ""unfavorable behaviors from developing"" when those undesirable behaviors are literally what they were bred to do. Can you improve their response to prey via training? Sure. But you're kidding yourself if you think you can keep it from ever surfacing in some dogs or that all dogs can be trained to be ok around prey animals.

You keep making these mouthsounds that kinda almost sound like you have an idea of what you're talking about but then totally poo poo the bed, it kinda owns. tbh it reads suspiciously like you've just read a book or two about positive reinforcement but have zero hands on experience working with highly prey driven or DA dogs

gonna quote this because while ausrotten is a giant throbbing dick about how he says things this is completely accurate. (i still think you are cool fit dogge obsessee :smith: )

You have yourself a giant weaponized dogge.

you need to seriously pay a lot of attention to that thing unless you want it murdering things.

(incidentally i always wanted a mastiff, they are just so huge and ugly and awesome)

the prey drive may not completely subside, but you just have to somehow become pack alpha and make sure to give a prey dog a good murder-outlet or something reasonably similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
eh my horrible gendered speech patterns assumes most dickhead posters are dudes but yah i should learn some of these advanced social skills all the hip kids are on about.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Ausrotten posted:

pi is the one place on sa where it's safe to assume anyone you're talking to is a woman

:cripes:

dogs aren't pack animals, dominance theory is dumb bullshit that lovely trainers keep yelling about even though the scientific community discredited it literal decades ago

gdi

never said i was an expert and stuff in terms and thingies. I aint saying hump your dog. just the healthy respect thing. :shrug: my bad.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Ausrotten posted:

aanyways thats a lot of :words: to basically say stop using the term alpha and stop using wolf behavior to make assumptions about dog behavior because its super outdated science

But how can i have an alpha kitten if i cant use alpha?

:catbert:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Hey dont start shittalking suburban/rural rescue pits. They are like loveable and poo poo. I just dont want someone making a murderdog more murdery is all.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

they're only pits in name and not in soul.

eh hopefully :unsmith: My "neighborhood" is always trying to form an HOA to restrict dangerous breeds

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Heavy Petting > My new dog likes to kill thin... HEY gently caress YOU BUDDY

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
my coworkers whining Remix feat: AnnoyingGuy

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Superconsndar posted:

yeah unless your pit bull literally came from a game breeder it's pretty much a Labrador with a murder switch that can flip at any random rear end time sorry duder

ah well in that case then 2 should be even more exciting, :rip: me.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Crate and rotate seems bad for my back can i perhaps put one crate at a time on a large turntable so all the other dogs and cats can just point and laugh?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
I thought we were all our avatars? Not to be all cavalier or anything sardonic or disparaging...

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Real talk, I know two guys who worked with K-9 units who had to put down their personal Rottweilers due to them suddenly becoming uncontrollably aggressive towards everyone.

How does that even develop?

trainers or cops?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I'm not sure I can trust a cross eyed Pegasus, to be honest.

uh huh... but trusting in some invisible spirit always ends awesomely. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
That rebellious dancing must be stopped. :catbert:

• Locked thread