Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*
If you don't raise pups with weaker animals, they can get aggressive, especially if they're very high-energy breeds like yours. You can iron out this behavior, sure, but it will take a few years of constant and unrelenting discipline and, even then, you could still lose a cat by then, potentially get into trouble with others where you live or worse.

If you really can't invest that time, just find another canine. I've had dogs like this before, and they're either a huge hassle or the complete opposite, it just all depends on how they're raised and, clearly, your Mastiff wasn't raised well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

Superconsndar posted:

Dog's don't develop strong prey drive due to not being "raised well," it's an innate drive that varies with individual breed and temperament. You can mitigate it with management and training but "raising them well" won't cause it not to develop.

Except raising them with routine, positive-reinforcement, and proper diagnostics of stimulus for dog-aggression and prey drive triggers is raising them well, and that's how you prevent unfavorable behaviors from developing or, in other words, from getting worse

Like, yes, you're right, each dog has a unique prey drive which waxes and wanes with the dog's age, but who gives a literal gently caress about a given dog's theoretical prey drive if it doesn't manifest in grisly shreds of rat, cat, and child on your rug in the morning? I'm exaggerating of course, but you're extrapolating on a point I did not make.

And yes, Terrier and Bull breeds are probably going to be more aggressive than your average Pug or Corgi, so they will require closer attention to training and discipline. If the previous owner was too incompetent to administer that training and depth of care, then you're going to get either a very aggressive or aggressively defensive dog. If, however, they did receive that care, then you might even have a naturally aggressive and muscular dog who is gentle enough to be allowed around livestock, but I'd still hesitate with cats and toddlers (you can't ever be too safe.)

unpleasantly turgid fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 22, 2016

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

Superconsndar posted:

yes

those things are true

however "raised well" is a buzzword slippery slope for the average pet owner who doesn't understand dog behvaior or have a background in behavior modification

so you just sound like a twat

I'll admit that I gave myself more etymological wiggle room than I probably needed, but calling me a "twat"? Really?

Ausrotten posted:

The dog's innate level of aggression is really, really important to take into consideration when you're trying to get a handle on it. Literally anyone with two braincells to rub together should care A LOT about what level of aggression their dog is capable of, especially if their dog has already murdered some things. Extrapolating that the dog was raised poorly from the fact a hunting mix wanted to kill some prey animals is loving asinine. There are plenty of dogs out there who literally will never be safe around prey animals and no amount of ~raisin them right~ is gonna change that. You're never going to raise a genetically DA as hell dog or one with insane prey drive well enough to keep ""unfavorable behaviors from developing"" when those undesirable behaviors are literally what they were bred to do. Can you improve their response to prey via training? Sure. But you're kidding yourself if you think you can keep it from ever surfacing in some dogs or that all dogs can be trained to be ok around prey animals.

You keep making these mouthsounds that kinda almost sound like you have an idea of what you're talking about but then totally poo poo the bed, it kinda owns. tbh it reads suspiciously like you've just read a book or two about positive reinforcement but have zero hands on experience working with highly prey driven or DA dogs

Yes, you're right. I don't recall ever saying that a dog's prey drive doesn't exist, but that with proper control of the animal and gradual exposure to prey animals in controlled settings, they can become net-safer in future, less-controlled exposures; I mean, it's almost like, well, I don't know, but I have a feeling t- that.. that we're saying the same thing! Like it's blatantly obvious you're just looking for someone to poo poo on, which I'm fine with - I understand that farmhands and hicks have some inflated ego and that needs to be taken out for a walk every now and again, but could you at least make a substantive response that actually sticks? I've raised a Mastiff for two years and eleven months this August in the city; I know he's loving itching to kill things, but we've tackled endless trials to iron out what of his impetuous behavior that we could. Yes, you can still feel that he's a bit on edge when we're out in the park so I keep him on a leash, but even if I drop the handle he isn't going to lose his poo poo.

unpleasantly turgid fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 25, 2016

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

SneakyFrog posted:

never said i was an expert and stuff in terms and thingies. I aint saying hump your dog. just the healthy respect thing. :shrug: my bad.

If you want your dog to become more volatile and direct his/her stress at you, I agree - dominate them. Also, who said don't hump your dog? I'm sure your pup would love a little bit of affection!

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

Ausrotten posted:

You said a dog's actual level of prey drive is irrelevant, I think that's loving ridiculous and short sighted.
theoretical - IE without training or discipline. Abstract ceiling average in a given breed's genetic group.

Ausrotten posted:

is the most hilarious thing i've read all day so thank you for that. What would a bunch of people raising murderdogs around livestock and wildlife know about dealing with prey drive and livestock compared to some dude with his first prey driven dog in the city??
Lol you seemed to be in your element making unnecessarily disparaging and sardonic remarks, I don't know what leaves you exempt to equally annoying, disparaging and belittling jabs. And I appreciate the effort to call the cavalier, but don't make this about Fluffy Bunnies or SuperConsndar, "farmhands and hicks" wasn't meant towards either of them seeing as they don't devolve into arrogant quips, but only you and in a retaliatory way. Also, I don't know how that's commentary on ability or knowledge to raise dogs. Not everyone is out to question your credentials, but sorry for the vitriol :*

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

What kind of mastiff is it? Because that's sincerely important.
I agree. Bully (Kutta) Mastiff. Muscular, bold, territorial, pretty curious, the breed has history as guard pets in India and Pakistan. Isn't fond of visitors, but he doesn't turn aggression into anything beyond staring, not sure how much of this is my doing. Was socialized young and practically raised outside, so he does well in the area given that we haven't moved since he came around, but he's on edge in new areas outside like a one mile radius, so we'll have to work through a new area if we plan on moving anytime soon. We've worked through discipline trials with strangers and territorial fluidity, taught him commands that we (try to) rehearse daily (stop, stand, sit, lie down, run and trot.) We go to a local valley every other week and and throw frisbees and stuffed animals far in front of him to train his resistance to chasing, but try to mix it up so he isn't just not chasing a frisbee.

No incidents to report besides an intermittent booming bark that stirs adjacent apartments. No peculiar stressors or serious ailments, so I've had it easy. He barks at unfamiliar stray animals, but doesn't go beyond that. I'd consider testing if he's actually violent with unfamiliar strays, but, as it turns out, demonstrating my dog's discipline to goons isn't worth a dead animal.

Ausrotten posted:

I mean you're even equating prey drive and human aggression by saying it's untrustworthy around children so l o l (i'm sure of course that isn't ACTUALLY what you meant of course )
"I'm exaggerating of course"

Ausrotten posted:

you're saying you can prevent the drive to kill animals from surfacing as long as you're a good owner. That apparently is not what you meant but you communicated that extremely poorly. So far every time someone's pointed out that you're wrong about something you've back pedaled or attenuated your statements so much that they barely resemble your initial posts and it's both super transparent and super frustrating.
Granted, I use a lot of ambiguous terms and this thread is to help someone so that's definitely my bad, but I don't back pedal and rewrite what I say; you're projecting the assumptions of a know-nothing dog-owner onto what I'm saying, which is clearly causing not only this perception of forked phrases, but a serious derailment of the thread. And yeah, I guess I did communicate my conception of prey drive poorly, but that probably has more to do with how I parse and describe behavior than me just plain not knowing something.

Ausrotten posted:

when you say dominate them, what precisely do you mean
:smugdon:

unpleasantly turgid fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 26, 2016

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

Superconsndar posted:

FoxFarts you are the platonic ideal of the weird dog mom who trained one dog with a vague problem and read some books and now has a whole world t o educate

I'm the stepping around every point ausrotten made regarding how loving wrong you are about prey drive and desire to kill being a genetic and not a training issue

I'm sitting here petting my hogging bred shitbull on my hog farm in a room full of pet birds and reptiles and small, prey-sized dogs and I'm just chuckling so loudly my walls are shaking

I never said it wasn't genetic lol, and I've been insistent that training curbs the effects of an innate prey drive, not the prey drive itself. How is it that everyone could understand that concept besides you?

You know, you do know a lot about dogs. I'll grant you that.

But other than that, you are by far the dumbest motherfucker I've ever read and - to be perfectly candid - probably more dim than anyone I've ever met, which, frankly, shouldn't surprise me seeing as your greatest confidant and intellectual equal is a guard dog.

You've actually gotten me in stitches.

By the by, is that why you have the Boston Terrier avatar? Because, even though people don't regard your intelligence highly by human standards, you're still considered pretty bright when compared to other dogs? I mean, hey, Roundheads ALMOST break top 50. That's certainly worth bragging about.

unpleasantly turgid fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jul 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

Ausrotten posted:

holy poo poo this idiot thinks super knows even one single thing about g u a r d d o g s because she has gamebred shitbulls

aaaahaahhahahaha

buddy its poo poo like this that makes people assume youre an ignorant as gently caress pet dog owner

I think it's more about me not knowing what Super does when not piddling around on SA. forgot she dealt in gamebred.

But seeing as she's a bitch, it makes sense that you think it speaks to my knowledge of pets :flame:

• Locked thread