Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Welcome to the Mafia DEATHMATCH - where personal disagreements are settled like true mafioso through the power of excessive verbosity and ad hominem attacks.

What is the point of this?

Whenever someone's Mafia Honor has been wronged, they can throw down the gauntlet and prove themselves a worthy mafia player by showing off their best e proboscis unum and taking down any motherfucker who thinks they be better than they.

That sounds great and not at all stupid. How does it work?

Every DEATHMATCH needs a MODERATOR who will flip folks. This is an impartial third party (not that kind of 3p) who will keep order in the court.

There are two flavors of DEATHMATCH:

-Standard DEATHMATCH: For two wronged parties & a public town. The battlers are randomly assigned a SCUM and TOWN role. They plead their case to a non-aggrieved PUBLIC TOWN member who will ultimately cast their vote for the person they believe to be TRUTHFUL in their speech.

-3-man DuLO - 1 scum, 1 town, 1 3p. In this instance, the 3p's identity is not public, and so every man or woman is for themselves. I don't really know how this will work but I think it could be fun, maybe.

Anyone can mod a deathmatch in this thread. The only protocol here is that someone must ##gauntlet a person who has aggrieved them, and that party must ##accept the challenge. At that point a judge must step forth to oversee the challenge, and can either assign or take volunteers for the public town. Also maybe there's a way three people can do this, figure it out fam.

Don't register this poo poo with votefinder; run these manually. There are at max three PMs to send, you can do it I believe in you~

WHO WILL EMERGE VICTORIOUS? TO BATTLE, MAFIOSO~~~~~

Quidthulhu fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jul 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
wtf <.> is this quidnose >.<

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Quid no

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

'Quid no se' is a complete sentence in spanish.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Quidnose posted:

That sounds stupid and not at all great. How does it work?

fixed

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
like you cant just say 1 person is town 1 person is scum, and everyone else has to figure out which is which and call it mafia

this is more like 1v1 popularity contest

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

I hereby nominate myself as an unbiased and impartial moderator for all of your perceived slights.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
Ok, I thought of something that might work but it needs more than 3 people.

You start with 5 people.

One player (not necessarily a competitor) is scum and gets a night kill.

There's no time limit, so you can't no-lynch, and D2 starts whenever scum submits their night kill.

D2 is LYLO also with no time-limit.

Depending on the set up, both 'competitors' can lose, they can both win, or one can lose and one can win.

Sometimes the best answer is 'you both suck'.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Let's say it doesn't work before trying it once so we can see what Quid means :rolleyes:

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Quidnose posted:

Let's say it doesn't work before trying it once so we can see what Quid means :rolleyes:

I'm not here to say whether or not it works.

I'm here because I AM THE LAW.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Quidnose posted:

Ok I'll battle you in your normal version Quid, gimme a role MCS and make JakeP or someone town.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Quidnose posted:

Conceptually it doesn't make sense if you pose it as a mafia game. There is no difference between town and scum, they are just different alignments. You could call one Blue and the other Green. Mafia has Good guys who don't know whats happening, and Bad guys who kill good guys. What you are proposing here is just put 2 people out there and have them argue for other people to kill the other dude for what can only be super arbitrary reasons, because there is no context for why anyone should pick a winner.

Like I said, it is 1v1 pop con, where people choose who they want to win based on whatever random criteria they decide to use

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

JakeP posted:

Conceptually it doesn't make sense if you pose it as a mafia game. There is no difference between town and scum, they are just different alignments. You could call one Blue and the other Green. Mafia has Good guys who don't know whats happening, and Bad guys who kill good guys. What you are proposing here is just put 2 people out there and have them argue for other people to kill the other dude for what can only be super arbitrary reasons, because there is no context for why anyone should pick a winner.

Like I said, it is 1v1 pop con, where people choose who they want to win based on whatever random criteria they decide to use

That's why I proposed a 5 person game where neither competitor is guaranteed to be scum. You have to analyze the play, who votes for who, and it's over quickly.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

That's why I proposed a 5 person game where neither competitor is guaranteed to be scum. You have to analyze the play, who votes for who, and it's over quickly.

yeah sure but how do you defend your honor if your besmircher is on your team, all this is is a super quick almostmafia mini

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

JakeP posted:

yeah sure but how do you defend your honor if your besmircher is on your team, all this is is a super quick almostmafia mini

If you're on the same team and you successfully bus your 'competitor', losing the game, then you've also got an answer.

If they bus you and lose because of it, you've kind of won there too.

If they bus you and you find scum but they were against you, you've won.

It's all in the post-mortem, but it's no longer a 1v1 popularity contest.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

You raise some valid points JakeP :v:

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

If you're on the same team and you successfully bus your 'competitor', losing the game, then you've also got an answer.

If they bus you and lose because of it, you've kind of won there too.

If they bus you and you find scum but they were against you, you've won.

It's all in the post-mortem, but it's no longer a 1v1 popularity contest.

i think you are using the phrase bus wrong, but then wouldn't the ideal strat be to throw and force the other players to lynch you?

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

JakeP posted:

i think you are using the phrase bus wrong, but then wouldn't the ideal strat be to throw and force the other players to lynch you?

So you can say, "Ha ha, you suck I was town."

That would work most of the time against your competitor (75% of cases) but if your competitor then went on to WIN without you it makes you look bad.

Also in 25% of cases your competitor is scum, and if you were playing scummy and they got you lynched then they might win in LYLO.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
Also, the proper ending to that is for one of the 'bystanders' who is scum to kill the other competitor, basically ending the game because none of them care.

And then the result is that both competitors suck.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

I need two other individuals in order to test the assorted theories we have here. These five individuals will be found guilty of POSTING. Their sentence will be DEATHMATCH.

I AM THE LAW.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

This somehow has not turned out how I envisioned it

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

##gauntlet Quidnose

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Quidnose, you are guilty of being challenged.

You will be tried in front of your peers here and now.

Do you accept?

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
scum if no

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the mafia community is an embarrassment >.>

Quidthulhu