Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

RedMage129 posted:

CGI monster was whatever, not great but I can give it a pass because it was a pretty rad boss. But whenever they showed the CGI goo rift I was like, nah you could easily have done that practical and it would have looked 10000 times better.

the monster was mostly practical effects lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005
it is good

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Yermaw Zahoor posted:

Go choke on a Walkman

:agreed:

That guy is just monster bait anyway

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Hogge Wild posted:

Wat is it
Is it like goonies

Sort of. Also a little bit like Stand By Me and a little like any Stephen King book and reminiscent of 80s shows like Outer Limits.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Blue Train posted:

the way they handle 11 is loving trash

How so

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

d&d, the thing normal people referenced and interacted with in addition to knowing about in 1983

enough that there are multiple references to it throughout the show and it forms the basis of the pilot and it's concepts influence the core of the show

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

the final fight with the monster where they both disappear

the rest is fine

Han Solomon
Mar 7, 2015

BOUND
AND
GAGGED
garbage show for deadend old losers imo

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

stand by me is a better comparison than goonies imo

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

ButteCysts posted:

garbage show for deadend old losers imo

Gag yourself with a spoon

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

it is good in the same way that an anime can be good, you ignore the nerd and nostalgia poo poo like you ignore the fan service

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

RedMage129 posted:

CGI monster was whatever, not great but I can give it a pass because it was a pretty rad boss. But whenever they showed the CGI goo rift I was like, nah you could easily have done that practical and it would have looked 10000 times better.

Yeah whatever cool 80s thing it had going, the CGI goop totally ruined it for me.

edit: especially when they have a scene where they talk about how the practical effects in The Thing were done.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

monkey posted:

Yeah whatever cool 80s thing it had going, the CGI goop totally ruined it for me.

edit: especially when they have a scene where they talk about how the practical effects in The Thing were done.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

hemophilia posted:

It sure wasn't. Screamed of CG everywhere especially in the face.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Evil Canadian posted:

It sure wasn't. Screamed of CG everywhere especially in the face.

it sure was.
http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/stranger-things-finale-duffer-brothers-interview-season-2-1201816664/

quote:

Fortunately, Spectral Motion is another company that built a lot of monsters for Guillermo. They built our monster and they’re really great. They have an amazing robotic engineer who built the head — we call them petals, the pieces that open up when it needs to feed. Those were completely animatronic, programmed in a way that they moved in random patterns, which made them feel very organic and alive. There were times we couldn’t do what we needed to do with a guy in a suit and then we turned to computer graphics. Fortunately, Aaron also had a vfx company. He cared so much, the monster was his baby. He and his team did a really great job bringing it to life on a really tight television schedule.

congrats on not knowing what ya talking about.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

I don't give a flying gently caress what they say, I am looking at a clip of it again right now and this thing has a 90's rear end CGI look to it and it absolutely looks like it was added to the scene in post.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Evil Canadian posted:

I don't give a flying gently caress what they say, I am looking at a clip of it again right now and this thing has a 90's rear end CGI look to it and it absolutely looks like it was added to the scene in post.

i think you just want to whine about cgi in lieu of real complaints.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
that same quote just said they used CGI too when it wasn't possible with a guy in a suit so you're both wrong looks like

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

darkhand posted:

that same quote just said they used CGI too when it wasn't possible with a guy in a suit so you're both wrong looks like

nah

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

hemophilia posted:

To be clear, it was the goop that spoiled it for me, not the monster.
It wasn't just that it was CGI goop, but low budget, poorly rendered, obviously CGI goop that would have looked better done with cornflour, water, food colouring and string. The monster was fine.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

monkey posted:

To be clear, it was the goop that spoiled it for me, not the monster.
It wasn't just that it was CGI goop, but low budget, poorly rendered, obviously CGI goop that would have looked better done with cornflour, water, food colouring and string. The monster was fine.

oh yeah i guess, i didn't notice the cgi goop but if it bothered you thats fair

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Regardless of how they made the monster I didn't think it looked that great. I think they could have framed it better with closer shots and poo poo but I dunno, I'm not a director guy.

I liked the rest of the show though, even though you don't roll to hit with a Fireball. That poo poo is a Dex save and the Demogorgon should have been the one rolling

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i played D&D all of three times, twice stoned and once on 40mg of percocet and imho it didn't bother me at all everything checked out :colbert:

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
im the fat kid

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

I liked the rest of the show though, even though you don't roll to hit with a Fireball. That poo poo is a Dex save and the Demogorgon should have been the one rolling

There was no such thing as a dex save in 1984. That said, demogorgon has 95% magic resist, and takes half damage from fire, so you didn't go casting fireballs at one. The whole d&d scene was a bit silly.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Uncle Salty posted:

Winona Forever

that's not an opinion, that's a statement of fact

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Will wouldn't have been kidnapped if he had a gun.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Bert Roberge posted:

Will wouldn't have been kidnapped if he had a gun.

but he literally went to go get the gun. like, picked it up, was loading it.

wait.

did i just get owned by myself online?!

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

im p sure netflix counts as tv, nerd

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

psychokitty posted:

Sort of. Also a little bit like Stand By Me and a little like any Stephen King book and reminiscent of 80s shows like Outer Limits.

It's awesome that the the show's title screen logo looks like it belongs on a Stephen King book cover

I recommended it to my 80 year old mother. I've never recommended a show for her to watch.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I felt like I was watching a Stephen King novel playing out, which is extremely my poo poo. Good TV show.

Why did Hop put waffles in the box, why did Will puke slugs, oommgg

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Harald posted:

im the fat kid

We know, but have you seen the show?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Keith Atherton posted:

It's awesome that the the show's title screen logo looks like it belongs on a Stephen King book cover

I recommended it to my 80 year old mother. I've never recommended a show for her to watch.

my 70 year old mother is digging it hard and watched the first five episodes in a row

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
it's really good poo poo. like a well done stephen king novel and great kid acting, they carry the show.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

dog days are over posted:

Why did Hop put waffles in the box, why did Will puke slugs, oommgg

My guess is 11 is still alive and living in the woods and the slug will threw up is to leave it open to a season 2 where slug gets into the water supply and infects more people or something.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

They're really good with putting in cool little homages and foreshadowing. After the scene where the military dude first goes through the Alienesque wall vag, the hard cut to the next scene is of the kids' teacher reading from Conrad's 'Heart of Darkness'. It's about someone going native after too long in a completely alien place, as well as being the origin of the name for the ship in Alien (Nostromo is the boat sent upriver to find Kurtz). I thought that was nifty as hell

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
OP... is right

Woden
May 6, 2006

Agreed, this show is really good and you should watch it.

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
Netflix recommends I check out "Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius" after watching Stranger Things

any goon reviews of that one, is it worth a watch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
I enjoyed this show. Is wayward pines any good?

• Locked thread