Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Tried watching more.

Show seems like it's just throwing its weight around, trying desperately to make you FEEL BIG THINGS without it actually making sense in the story. They cross-cut between different situations where its not appropriate, they have intrusive music gaudy music, they constantly tell uis rather than show us things about the characters...

All of this doesn't add up to a terrible show, but it adds up to a pointless one. Not ganna poo poo on anyone who enjoyed it but while I was watching I was constantly thinking "so what?"

Good article here pointing up some examples of this:

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/08/31/the-strange-motivations-of-stranger-things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

AEMINAL posted:

loving gas thread

let the weirdos obsess over these child actors in tviv

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

i really enjoyed those big clunky corded phones they used because those were the types of phone we used in the 80's and this show is set in the 80's

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Calico Heart posted:

Tried watching more.

Show seems like it's just throwing its weight around, trying desperately to make you FEEL BIG THINGS without it actually making sense in the story. They cross-cut between different situations where its not appropriate, they have intrusive music gaudy music, they constantly tell uis rather than show us things about the characters...

All of this doesn't add up to a terrible show, but it adds up to a pointless one. Not ganna poo poo on anyone who enjoyed it but while I was watching I was constantly thinking "so what?"

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/08/31/the-strange-motivations-of-stranger-things

Mayhaps my friend spend a moment in pursuit of enjoying a thing rather than analyzing it to death. Tally ho, chap!

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Calico Heart posted:

Tried watching more.

shut up go away

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Calico Heart posted:

Tried watching more.

Click

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Calico Heart posted:

Tried watching more.

Nice review of Super 8, but that movie was poo poo while Stranger Things is actually cool and good.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

The Protagonist posted:

Please. We all know what becomes of child actors. How lifetime success stories are there?

These days they seem to fair much better if they avoid trying to become a singer

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

MAYBE PERSON WHO ROLEPLAY AS COMIC BOOK CHARACTER FOR CHILDREN KNOWN AS HULK NOT BEST INTERPRETER OF GOOD STORY THAT AUDIENCE LIKE.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

man the way she rolls her eyes as a joke, she is gonna be an oscar winner one day~

kindermord posted:

whereas the 11 girl will probably look something like this

more like natalie portman, op

looked like a good and cool interview, im glad of it

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like life is going to work out okay for the person named Finn Wolfhard.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Junkfist posted:

MAYBE PERSON WHO ROLEPLAY AS COMIC BOOK CHARACTER FOR CHILDREN KNOWN AS HULK NOT BEST INTERPRETER OF GOOD STORY THAT AUDIENCE LIKE.

jesus christ

edit: I mean the article

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I feel like life is going to work out okay for the person named Finn Wolfhard.

It might just be the hair, but he's turning into John Francis Daly super-fast.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Calico Heart posted:

Tried watching more.

I was going to be sarcastic about you taking personal offense at a show trying to elicit a response from you, but i want to curse you forever for introducing me to one of the dumbest things i've ever encountered "Film Critic Hulk"

Fat Shat Sings fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Sep 4, 2016

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I can't believe film crit hulk is still a thing, it feels like I first heard about him years and years ago, like before YouTube was a thing

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Film Crit Hulk seems like a joke that wears itself out very, very quickly.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
:gas:

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

AWWNAW posted:

Mayhaps my friend spend a moment in pursuit of enjoying a thing rather than analyzing it to death. Tally ho, chap!

We just enjoy things in different ways dude. I'm not saying my shows are better, or you're dumb for liking the show, or that I'm a "superior tv watcher" (because that's pathetic) or anything like that. We just like shows for different reasons is all! It's all good buddy.

Junkfist posted:

He's a professional screenwriter who takes on a silly role because sometimes he critiques things that would not be a smart career move to attach his name to. The joke is dumb but it is also there to illicit an air of humility - you're literally getting the joke of "I'm a dumb guy who talks in dumb caps so don't be upset I don't like your show". I mean good job refuting his points I guess?

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 3, 2016

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Film Crit Hulk seems like a joke that wears itself out very, very quickly.

It did. 9 words in and I said "This gimmick sucks poo poo" and clicked the x

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Calico Heart posted:

He's a professional screenwriter who takes on a silly role because sometimes he critiques things that would not be a smart career move to attach his name to. I mean good job refuting his points I guess???

if someone wants me to refute their points they probably shouldn't chose the single stupidest way to articulate those points and then present them in a way that is painful to read

Edit: The fact he has been doing this for years apparently and in 5 minutes I came up with a much better gimmick on the same premise doesn't speak to his cleverness or insight or his judgement.

"Film Critic Puny Banner" where 90% of it is reasoned debate while he periodically hulks out at things he doesn't like is like 50x better than what this guy is doing

Fat Shat Sings fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 3, 2016

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian
any sort of twitter account with the gimmick of, "i'm pretending to be this popular character for laughs," is bad.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Calico Heart posted:

The joke is dumb but it is also there to illicit an air of humility - you're literally getting the joke of "I'm a dumb guy who talks in dumb caps so don't be upset I don't like your show".

You meant to say "elicit." Your misuse of language has now rendered your opinion completely worthless. :smug:

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Fat Shat Sings posted:

if someone wants me to refute their points they probably shouldn't chose the single stupidest way to articulate those points and then present them in a way that is painful to read

It's weird because if you like Stranger Things you should be used to people loudly exclaiming their thoughts and emotions directly at you without a trace of relatable human behavior.

j/k

CaptainSarcastic posted:

You meant to say "elicit." Your misuse of language has now rendered your opinion completely worthless. :smug:

gently caress, NO!! NO IT WAS AN ACCIDENT! I CAN EDIT IT! FUUUUUCCKKKKKK!!!!

This isn't the last you've seen of meeeeeeeeee

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Sep 4, 2016

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

can we make the OP just steves hair and this gif

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

Calico Heart posted:

I mean good job refuting his points I guess?

"THIS WRONG BECAUSE HULK SAY SO" isn't really a point.

e.g.

quote:

NONE OF IT REALLY MAKES SENSE ON A DRAMATIC LEVEL. WE KNOW HE'S KIND OF ALIVE AND WE EVEN KNOW THE MANNER IN WHICH HE'S KIND OF ALIVE (BASED ON WHAT WE SAW IN THE PRIOR EPISODE WITH BARB, AND THE WAY ELEVEN SEEMS TO UNDERSTAND WHAT'S HAPPENING EVEN IN THE MOMENT THE BOYS ARE UPSET). AND ON THE FLIP-SIDE, THE SCENE DOESN'T ACTUALLY PLAY LIKE A FAKE-OUT OR REVERSAL TO THAT. AND THERE'S NO DRAMATIC IRONY TO THE EVENT EITHER...

Audience knows something that characters don't, therefore bad scene. Gotcha.

quote:

HULK LIKED HER AND ALL, BUT HULK NEVER HAD A SENSE OF "THE RULES" OF ELEVEN OR EVEN WHAT SHE WAS REALLY DOING OR WANTED OUTSIDE OF GENERAL SAFETY. HULK NEVER KNEW WHAT SHE COULD OR COULD NOT UNDERSTAND, OR WHAT CHARACTERS UNDERSTOOD ABOUT HER. YOU COULD ARGUE "THAT'S THE POINT! SHE WAS THIS SUPERGIRL WHO DIDN'T UNDERSTAND THE WORLD AND JUST PLOPPED INTO OUR LIVES!" BUT THAT WOULD ONLY MAKE SENSE IF THOSE QUESTIONS OF MYSTERY WERE HEIGHTENED AND A PART OF THE DRAMATIC STORY. IN REALITY, THESE WERE BASIC FAILINGS OF AUDIENCE COMMUNICATION, EXACERBATED BY THE SHOW'S FOOLHARDY AIM OF "MYSTERIOUSNESS."

Questions of mystery were not heightened despite admitting the show's aim was mysteriousness. Gotcha.

quote:

THERE ARE SILLY THINGS THAT COULD BE CHALKED UP TO POOR CHARACTER "MOVIE" LOGIC. LIKE "WAIT, SHE GOES INTO THE EVIL MONSTER TREE FOR WHAT REASON? HER CHARACTER LITERALLY HAS NO REASON TO UNDERSTAND THAT OR MAKE SENSE OF WHAT SHE'S SEEING AND BE MOTIVATED TO DO THIS!"

Seriously? Her character has literally no reason to look for her friend, the thing that has been motivating her since episode 2?

quote:

HOW ELEVEN'S SACRIFICE MAKES LITERALLY NO SENSE IN A WORLD WHERE WE'VE PRETTY MUCH ESTABLISHED YOU DON'T NEED TO COMPLETELY OBLITERATE THESE THINGS?

Two paragraphs earlier the show was too vague for us to know anything, but because it's good for his rant he now knows exactly as much information as he needs to make a stupid point.

quote:

He's a professional screenwriter who has clearly never written anything remotely this successful who takes on a silly role

ftfy

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Facebook interview, they do 80s trivia and answer fan questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxDMAifYlVo

The highlight is they ask them if they did pranks on set and Noah and Millie reveal that they prank called the costume designer and told her the venue for her upcoming wedding was overbooked :lol:

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
The scene reflects the hopelessness that the characters feel. Everyone thought that they might be able to save Will but then a corpse shows up. There is no dramatic irony because the audience doesn't know Will is alive untill Elle suggests otherwise, he could be a ghost, he could be a time echo, he could be in Hell. If you said "wait what?" every 5 minuntes when you watched this show you might not be very smart. What is confusing or inconsistent about Elle's powers? They work the same way they do in episode 4 as they do in episode 8.

Dmitri-9 fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Sep 4, 2016

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Basticle posted:

Facebook interview, they do 80s trivia and answer fan questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxDMAifYlVo

The highlight is they ask them if they did pranks on set and Noah and Millie reveal that they prank called the costume designer and told her the venue for her upcoming wedding was overbooked :lol:

lol I love when celebrities gently caress with peasants lmfao

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

Dmitri-9 posted:

If you said "wait what?" every 5 minuntes when you watched this show you might not be very smart.

HULK NOT STIMULATE HIMSELF TO COMPLETION EVERY FIVE MINUTES LIKE WHEN HULK WATCH BREAKING BAD, THIS SHOW SUCKS.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Saul Goode posted:

Audience knows something that characters don't, therefore bad scene. Gotcha.

That's literally not what he is saying. He is saying the scene is being played with an emotional sincerity that isn't warranted if you've been paying attention to the show - what reason does the audience have to feel sad, knowing that the assumption the characters are making is wrong?

Dmitri-9 posted:

The scene reflects the hopelessness that the characters feel. Everyone thought that they might be able to save Will but then a corpse shows up. There is no dramatic irony because the audience doesn't know Will is alive untill Elle suggests otherwise, he could be a ghost, he could be a time echo, he could be in Hell. If you said "wait what?" every 5 minuntes when you watched this show you might not be very smart. What is confusing or inconsistent about Elle's powers? They work the same way they do in episode 4 as they do in episode 8.

This is a fair point though. Like, it's totally not fair to assume everyone has guessed/gotten what a specific viewer has. I dunno how overt or obvious anyone might think they'd made the kid's fate.

Saul Goode posted:

Questions of mystery were not heightened despite admitting the show's aim was mysteriousness. Gotcha.

This is again, not what he's saying. He is saying that her development is vague - ie what she wants and understands - but that that lack of understanding etc., was not a part of the dramatic narrative. You can refute/argue this point, though, it still ain't a perfect argument. I just felt you were oversimplifying what he was saying.

Saul Goode posted:

Two paragraphs earlier the show was too vague for us to know anything, but because it's good for his rant he now knows exactly as much information as he needs to make a stupid point.

This isn't a refutation of that specific point and is in fact kinda rubbish matet. Believe it or not it is entirely possible for a vague show (or even just a show that is vague about certain important elements) to have clear rules, or established fact. It's not like if A and B are underexplained then C must also be.

Eh

Saul Goode posted:

HULK NOT STIMULATE HIMSELF TO COMPLETION EVERY FIVE MINUTES LIKE WHEN HULK WATCH BREAKING BAD, THIS SHOW SUCKS.

breaking bad definitely sucks

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 4, 2016

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dmitri-9 posted:

And the kids are on their own now, whereas before everyone was looking for Will. Now they won't be believed no matter what, and have no clear way to proceed.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Saul Goode posted:

Did I miss the part that established "you don't need to completely obliterate" the monster? I thought all the fire and nail bats and bullets not finishing it off pretty much indicated it did need to be completely vaporized

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

And the kids are on their own now, whereas before everyone was looking for Will. Now they won't be believed no matter what, and have no clear way to proceed.

Yeah, also a good point.

If I didn't really enjoy the first couple that much do y'all think the rest of the season picks up or is quite similar to those early episodes? I really didn't wanna poo poo people enjoying a show so sorry for the shitposting.

Fonzarelli posted:

regardless of whether you should finish it or not, writing paragraphs of how the show is failing on some deep rhetorical level based on three episodes is lame and gay

Y'right, part of it I think was I heard so many good things and was p hyped for it so I was bummed when I saw it and didn't click with me

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 4, 2016

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

Even IRL the hot chick wants to sit next to Steve Harrington instead of the creepy weirdo

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

regardless of whether you should finish it or not, writing paragraphs of how the show is failing on some deep rhetorical level based on three episodes is lame and gay

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

quote:

HULK LIKED HER AND ALL, BUT HULK NEVER HAD A SENSE OF "THE RULES" OF ELEVEN OR EVEN WHAT SHE WAS REALLY DOING OR WANTED OUTSIDE OF GENERAL SAFETY. HULK NEVER KNEW WHAT SHE COULD OR COULD NOT UNDERSTAND, OR WHAT CHARACTERS UNDERSTOOD ABOUT HER. YOU COULD ARGUE "THAT'S THE POINT! SHE WAS THIS SUPERGIRL WHO DIDN'T UNDERSTAND THE WORLD AND JUST PLOPPED INTO OUR LIVES!" BUT THAT WOULD ONLY MAKE SENSE IF THOSE QUESTIONS OF MYSTERY WERE HEIGHTENED AND A PART OF THE DRAMATIC STORY. IN REALITY, THESE WERE BASIC FAILINGS OF AUDIENCE COMMUNICATION, EXACERBATED BY THE SHOW'S FOOLHARDY AIM OF "MYSTERIOUSNESS."

Still don't get this one. The kid is kind of like ET and doesn't understand much of the world, and some of the pleasure of the narrative is watching her grow and learn and try to exchange ideas with the boys, and also seeing them develop a mutual sense of friendship. If this is about how her powers work or her secret origin or what the monster really is or any of that xfiles stuff, then that's always going to disappoint because narratives built on those kinds of mysteries always fail to satisfy or to be totally consistent.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

Calico Heart posted:

I just felt you were oversimplifying what he was saying.

I gave it exactly as much effort as it warranted.

Just to review -

quote:

IN A WORLD WHERE WE'VE PRETTY MUCH ESTABLISHED YOU DON'T NEED TO COMPLETELY OBLITERATE THESE THINGS

When was that ever even remotely established? It was not part of the show that I watched, but it sure makes for a good rant.

efb

Aralan posted:

Did I miss the part that established "you don't need to completely obliterate" the monster? I thought all the fire and nail bats and bullets not finishing it off pretty much indicated it did need to be completely vaporized

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Calico Heart posted:

Yeah, also a good point.

If I didn't really enjoy the first couple that much do y'all think the rest of the season picks up or is quite similar to those early episodes? I really didn't wanna poo poo people enjoying a show so sorry for the shitposting.

Y'right, part of it I think was I heard so many good things and was p hyped for it so I was bummed when I saw it and didn't click with me

There are only 4-5 more episodes of +/- 45 minutes each. I'd say what's the harm but the show had me hooked literally from the first scene so it might just not be your thing. You have to be charmed by totally earnest scenes of kids doing adventuring, plus enthralled by a beard guy solving multiple mysteries with punching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
if the guy is melting down into deconstructions of something only having seen like 40% of it he's either too dense to understand it or is just an opinion hipster that needs the attention that comes with disagreeing with everyone

• Locked thread